Discussions By Condition: Gastrointestinal conditions

itching, drenching sweat, diarrhea, vomiting

Posted In: Gastrointestinal conditions 50 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 4, 2008
  • 08:38 AM

On Tuesday, for lunch, I "dined" on two Krystal chiks and split french fries and a Coke with my dad. Dinner was leftover chicken stew with leeks, new potatoes, carrots, and parsnips. About eight in the evening, after working with some dusty stuff in my room, I realized it was imperative that I go to the bathroom, as I could feel my insides liquifying and my intestines bloating. I sat down on the toilet and before anything came out, the palms of my hands and the underside of my feet began to itch (no bumps or rash broke out - just "dry" itching). My heart beat rapidly and then sweat began to pour down my entire body right before the diarrhea started. The itching stopped right before the diarrhea. I was sick for about three or four hours in total (breaking out in a drenching sweat only right before another bought of diarrhea) and did not feel better until I vomited once. I was weak and slept on the floor by the bathroom but did not have any other problems; I was able to keep down ice chips and some water during the night. I ate very little the next day, despite regaining my appetite rapidly. I have resumed my normal eating habits today (Thursday), and Krystal (or any fast food for that matter) is rarely a part of my diet. I am having some gas now, but none of the symptoms from Tuesday have returned within forty-eight hours. I am puzzled since my dad did not experience any of the same symptoms (but he did not have the chiks), and my problems lasted such a short time that a virus seems unlikely. The itching seems also to be an odd addition (the only other times I have experienced itching on my palms and the underside of my feet was after eating waffles with strawberries and Cool Whip, which again, is a rarity; when I eat Cool Whip with other things, I don't have a problem and when I eat strawberries in fruit salad, again, I don't have any problems). I have certainly had my fair share of allergies (dust, cats, trees, grasses, etc.) as well as various illnesses (flu, stomach flu, whooping cough, mono, colds, etc.) over my lifetime (I'm only 28), but I've never had anything like this. Has anyone else experienced such symptoms?

Reply Flag this Discussion

50 Replies:

• I just had the same symptoms exactly... palms and bottoms of feet itching, then diarrhea, intense sweating and lightheaded feeling and now itching all over my body (more intense in areas with hair.) Now, besides the itching, I feel fine. I just took a claritin... hopefully that helps gets rid of it.Does anyone have a title for this?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello,I have been suffering from these "attacks" (which is what my family and doctors refer to them as) for nearly 15 years. I am 26, and they started on my eleventh birthday. Allergies have been ruled out, crohns, cancer, etc. I have done every test under the moon.My attacks usually start out with a low rumble in the abdomen, the kind that signifies getting to the bathroom is a necessity. Then I usually start to feel warm in the cheeks, itchiness on the palms of my hands and feet (a dry itch), and a burning in my stomach. From there the symptoms either get way worse (on several occassions I was hospitalized because I was blacking out from the pain) or stay the same. I have the runs and I vomit, the itchiness works its way into my mouth, throat, and ears and across the abdomen. I get terrible pains and become very faint. Usually I have to rest on the bathroom floor until some pain and diahrea subside before I can get the energy to move to a bathroom.I usually rate my attacks on a scale of one to five - five being it was over in an hour and I could carry on to five being it lasted for several hours with intense pain, itchiness, fatigue, diahrea, and vomitting.When I was younger the attacks seemed to occur around times of excitement or nervousness and were almost always in the evening. As I got older the attacks became less frequent and seemed to occur in conjunction with lack of sleep, poor dietary choices, and nervousness or excitement. Just this morning I had a mild episode lasting about two hours. This is the first I have had in roughly two years. And even though I say mild the pain is still extreme - just not enough to make me pass out.Any help on why this happens would be great. I became a lost cause to all the doctors that were once so interested in discovering what this was.Thank you
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 9, 2009
    • 03:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had all of the symptoms described by both previous posts on this thread since I was about 8 yrs old. I also got/get them after bad dietary choices, anxiety and excitement. I have never been diagnosed and am also looking for answers. I had yet another "stomach episode" (as my family calls them) at 5am-7am this morning. I was in a dead sleep and awoke to pain and urgency to go to the bathroom. Just wanted you two to know there is someone else out there with this and looking for answers!Lisa
  • My 37 year old husband just had an episode last night....early this morning rather...between 3:30 am and @ 6 am. I woke to him vomiting in the bathroom trash can as he is sitting on the toilet with diarrhea. He then attempted to get up and just slid to the floor...lying his head by the AC vent in front of the shower. He was covered, drenched with sweat....his bowels were uncontrolled at that point, and he was not in his right mind. He wasn't responding to me except for "don't touch me" in a very shaken voice, he could not move, and would not be moved. About an hour later when I was finally able to get him to get up and in the tub, before he got up off the floor, he began scratching, almost digging into his neck, scalp and upper thighs. After the itching subsided, his fingertips were yellow, while his entire body was red. I am not sure if that was showing dehydration or numbness....he just looked at them very child-like and confused. He seemed to be better after he got back in the bed, and was fine this morning, other than a very bad headache later today. This happened about 3 weeks ago, only I did not wake up for that episode, so I do not know if it was as bad. He has suffered with acid reflux for years, not sure if this is related to that. I am afraid after reading these posts that taking him to the doctor will do no good. He refused to go to the hospital this morning, his mother is a nurse and seems to think it is a reaction to MSG. We had been at the movies earlier last night where he had lots of buttered popcorn and afterwards, we went to Outback where he ate a small salad, ribeye steak and a baked potato. Next time this happens, I believe I will just call 911 and have him taken to the hospital before he comes around sane enough to refuse. I hope there will be some kind of answer.
  • I just had another episode this evening around 5 o'clock. I went out to eat just like last time, but as a reminer I have ate the same food before at the fast food place, and has ot brothered me at all. So I really don't think it is any kind of food problems. This is my second case in less than two weeks. I was in the bathroom vomiting in the trash can as I was sitting on the toilet with diarrhea. I was drenched with sweat. After my first case of diarrhea my pawns of hands and bottoms of my feed started to itch until it was all over. I am afraid after reading about this on line, that going to the doctor will be no good to me. I have been disnoged of have Colitis, but don't seem to think I have all the systoms as the dotors say. I don't know really what to do. I have had all kinds of test run, with no luck. They seem to be getting worse.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 2, 2009
    • 02:56 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am so relieved to see that I'm not the only one suffering from these symptoms. My first episode was last July. Itching (palms and feet also scalp), vomiting, diarrhea and sweating. I am a 54 year old female and have never had this happen before. My first time was the worse - I actually could not breathe and had a rash all over my body. I have had five episodes since - but none as bad as the first. I have been keeping a food journal to see if there is something that is similar each time it happens. I have been tested for food allergies and have been given blood work - nothing shows up. After my first episode the allergist gave me an epi-pen. I also carry benadryl - this helps with the itching. I will let you know if I ever get a diagnosis. Its so frustrating and when the episodes happen - so scary!! I do not feel so alone now after reading the threads...thank you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 17, 2009
    • 10:37 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I just started crying reading this emails, but I am writing this in case someone is interested in taking action, we could send our case for research I have seen in Tv a show that take rare cases, please if someone have ideas! In my case it started 4 years ago. Ihave been diagnosed with gastritis before and I always had stomachproblems but never like this until it started one day 2 in the morning burning in my stomach for about 2 minutes and then pain in the lower belly bad diarrea and vomiting and itching palms of my hands and feet and all my body my whole body beating the pain was horrible and then my heart started beating so bad that all the pain seems no to matter anymore I thought was dying it lasted 1 or 2 hours and the next day was ok, so I thougth was the food (grilled meat and hotdogs) then again after having pizza , it happensalways at nigth or very early morning in this time I took a pain pill but my heart beating scared me the most, then I had a couple of them more after eating hamburguer, I have seem 4 doctors already and nothing I have been taking digestive pills but recently is getting worse and no matter waht i ate, and it is happening more often. What i am doing now is as soon as I start feeling the burning and itching I am taking Mylanta and it seems to work at least cut the process of the attack, oh, even the itching is getting worse I took a picture of my leg the last time and showed to the doctor they said they never have seem such a thing, so now I am scared to eat, have appoinments to see more doctors but reading this dont have much hope. please if someone wants to do something let me know
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 27, 2009
    • 03:44 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi hope you can read this one, have you ever been tested for level of hestamine (urine test) I did and i just got result high level of it and i am going to have a bone scan an a blood test called SErum Trypatse all to see if I have Mastocytosis, rare deasease that have all our symptoms we describe. I will write when I have the results
    BAMA491 1 Replies
    • October 24, 2009
    • 00:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've had these attacks happen since 1996, in recent years I've noticed an increase in frequency. My symptoms are similar to those described above, except I never vomited. Starts with a low rumble in the abdomen, leads to stomach pain, then what appears to be an anaphalactic reaction with itching in the palms and soles, the palms sometimes turn bright red, then itching in other places. Sometimes I get hives on my butt and hips and break out in a cold sweat. I feel light headed and usually lie down on the bathroom floor untill I'm ready to poop. Once the diarrhea comes out, I quickly feel much better and the itching gradually subsides. My attacks always happen in the evening or sometimes I'm woken up in the middle of the night due to stomach pain or the roof of my mouth itching.I've recently been tested for carcinoid syndrome (24 hour urine collection, 5-HIAA test), results came back within normal range. I have an appointment in a few weeks with an endocrinologist, I'll post here if she is able to give me a diagnosis.I've heard about something called idiopathic anaphalaxis, and I think that's what I probably have, if so, maybe I can get an epi-pen to counteract the attacks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 29, 2009
    • 00:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Very interesting that you mentioned histamines. A few years ago I had a blood test that revealed high levels. I will look into this. Also I have noticed that caffeine i.e. coffee, excedrine, sodas are a trigger to these events for me. I have stopped using excedrine and limit myself to one cup of coffee a day. Last episode was in September. I also notice stress being a trigger. I think since most of my episodes and others on this board are at night it could be a cumulative event. Maybe something we used in the morning or the night before stays in our blood stream. Only guessing - I think we have to become our own advocates to get to the bottom of this. Any other ideas please pass along. Again - Thank you for sharing your stories they are so helpful!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 31, 2009
    • 02:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Very interesting that you mentioned histamines. A few years ago I had a blood test that revealed high levels. I will look into this. Also I have noticed that caffeine i.e. coffee, excedrine, sodas are a trigger to these events for me. I have stopped using excedrine and limit myself to one cup of coffee a day. Last episode was in September. I also notice stress being a trigger. I think since most of my episodes and others on this board are at night it could be a cumulative event. Maybe something we used in the morning or the night before stays in our blood stream. Only guessing - I think we have to become our own advocates to get to the bottom of this. Any other ideas please pass along. Again - Thank you for sharing your stories they are so helpful!Hi I too have been suffering from these attacks for about 4 years now. I have IBS and I have found that in the past week I have suffered from 2 attacks. One of them about half an hour ago. I have noted down what I have eaten a few hours before and found there to be 1 main common denominator and that is food that is fried and also a lack of water. I have a doctors appointment next Monday and will def keep you posted . Cheers cal
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 12, 2009
    • 00:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I went to the GI doc about 2 weeks ago, he prescribed LOTS of tests -- they took 6 vials of blood, I also had a CT scan and was given a number of vials to collect stool samples as well as diarrhea sample in the event of another attack. I dropped off stool samples this morning and I was able to obtain results for the blood and CT scan. In short, everything came back within normal ranges including chromogranin A and blood serotonin, which with the 5-hiaa urine test I had done previously, should rule out a carcinoid tumor. Nothing unusual showed up on the CT scan. I have an appointment with the doc again on 12/31 to go over the results, if I learn anything, i'll make sure to post here.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 2, 2009
    • 00:30 AM
    Flag this Response
  • after seeing 4 doctores and having this attacks for more that 4 years, got nothing, the last one gave up and prescribe me only zantac, and singular, but did not work much, there was a time i only could eat chicken soup and oat meal, i was worse and was loosing weight and getting more depressed. i have an appointment with a Rheumatologist and still is pending did not go because suddendly the atacks stopped and now I can eat everything well almost, the only thing i did not tried is red meat, what happened? I had a big emotional change in my life and since then no more atacks now I am not taking anything and eating almost normal, could be the stress that is causing us all of this? it seems like that, I am not sure. I will write more in a couple of weeks!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 12, 2010
    • 02:09 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Well, I have done so many tests now that I can not even remember the names.. my problem has been changing..since my doctor only gave me zantac and singular, which help some, but still do not know what is it, i just have the last atack last sunday after eating a left over... now it happens each time I ate something heavy hard to digest, if i take the pilds make it easier also have been taking milanta and any digestiv over counter medicine. If I am awake i can see is coming but if I am sleeping just wake up with already the atack, right now i starded feeeling the sintomas was 9pm . already took, my singular and a digestive medicine..but I am stioll afraid to go sleep..i noticed if i am awake can be easier ...I got an apppointment with another doctor and hope he is interested in trying to find out what it is, I am so suprised nobody cares..about finding out the tru about this.. talking about all the doctors already seen...i wanted to ask something ...have some of you have been told that you have fatty leaver?.. that was the only abnormal that doctors find twice, i have done, bone tests, blod work ( alot of all kinds) , xray, alergy test and nothing .It is also true in my case stress and bad diet make it worse... I was almost fine for a while but is back again
  • This is all so weird. Wonder if it could be caused from stress? It has been happening to me for the pas 4-5 months. All o a sudden, always at night, i wake up itching, vomiting, diarreah, so weak i can barely move, drenched in sweat. its terrible. i finally went to the er during one of my "spells" and they immediatly hooked me up to an iv cuz my heart rate was so high. they did blood tests and my white cell count was high, so they did a ct scan. seen my appendix was swollen so they took that out and did find ruptured ovarian cysts. that was last week and im still healing form the surgery. luckily i havent had one since but i just know i will get another. ive started taking a multi vitamin everyday amd cut back on soda.. im only 22 with two kids so when i get these spells, it drains everything out of me. it is sooo miserable. i pray every night they dont come but i know ill get them again. if anyone has a cure or answer as to y we get these please post... these are draining me.
  • I always wonder what would happen if I go to the Emergency room, and what you say is exactly what i am afraid off, that they do something maybe i do not need ..because during the atack everything goes wrong.... but after it everything goes back to normal so when i go to the doctor my tests results are normal ...I am very confussed now, I had my last atack a week ago after eating ribs, the itching part now has changed is kind of what is called urticaria.. for that reason my new doctor after doing more tests told me he thinks is an allergyc reaction..to something ...but I know 5 years ago it started only with itching hands and feet and beating all my body and my heart..plus the other syntoms of course ....I am scared to go bed and think that i could have it again..and what is worse i do not know what else can happen ..my doctor told me not to let it go further and give my self a shot he gave me... he said is dangerous if affects your blod pressure...
  • I just found this tread last night. I also have been having these "attach's" for a little over a year now. The first time in happened I was on vacation and had been eating bad, drinking, and out fishing in the hot sun all day. About 3 months later and the 3rd time it happened my husband talked me into going to the ER. I was told I had a bacterial infection because my white blood cell count was high. They pumped me full of antibiotics and sent me home the next day with more. My counts returned to normal. I then became pregnant and had 2 "attach's" while pregnant. My OBGYN thought it was food poisoning and not to worry because I seem fine now. The last "attach" I had was in the hospital after delivering my daughter. The nurses and Dr thought it was not normal, but my blood test all came back fine. My pulse was high for a little bit, but then dropped. They thought I should see someone else, but never gave me an answer on who to see. I have to say noting is common about the food I eat before the attacks, the only thing that seems to be common was lack of sleep. Also maybe lack of water. I will be talking to my Dr. when I go in a month. I will post if anything is figured out. THANK YOU too all of you who have posted, glad to know I am not going nuts. Please post if any of you know what this could be.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 10, 2010
    • 07:31 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hi again I have been posting for a while with the hope we can figure this out. I went to see my last doctor 2 months ago and he gave me zantac and Cetirizine, which i can not take anymore because of the side effects. So I decided to do some changes in my diet(no beef or pork or too spicy food) and add working out everyday, it solved my digestive problems..so i was good and feeling really better...until last sunday. In saturday I ate (for lunch) the same chicken plate I always eat in a restaurant ..but probably more than normal.. Sunday afternoon ..with no syntoms ... after working out I start feeling the horrible pain in my lower intestines and the urge to go bathroom..some diarreah..and the the itching on my hand and my body..I will say was not as bad as before... and the itching was not in my legs like before... I took the Cetirizine..and a pain pill because my doctor told me the last time..try to stopt it if gets my heart again could be very fatal. So to make it short.. with this i almost can assure is nothing we eat..could be anything that make us sick..our inmune system is not working well...seems like our own cells atack the others cells... each time we get sick?...after reading your post i realized that...in some way...please if anyone finds something else plz post..I going to see my doc tomorrow..and see....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 14, 2010
    • 04:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had the same symptoms they started over a year ago. I have had test done for acid reflux. I have been to the emergency room three times each time to have blood drawn and ultrasound done to find nothing. It seems when they first started it was mild and only lasted a few days. I do not have them that often I think only 3 and it can happen any time of the day or night. But each time I have them the symptoms last longer and the pain is more severe. Although I do not vomit I do feel nausaed though. I am just getting over the last spell in which lasted almost two weeks. I have been having issues in my marriage for over a year now just wondering if it could be stress? My close friends want me to have a poision test done by my doctor. But after reading the messages here I am not sure it is poision. But I would really love to know what is causing the spells and why each time it last longer and more painful. If anyone has any response please let me know...Thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 21, 2010
    • 06:37 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am so relieved to see that I'm not the only one suffering from these symptoms. My first episode was last July. Itching (palms and feet also scalp), vomiting, diarrhea and sweating. I am a 54 year old female and have never had this happen before. My first time was the worse - I actually could not breathe and had a rash all over my body. I have had five episodes since - but none as bad as the first. I have been keeping a food journal to see if there is something that is similar each time it happens. I have been tested for food allergies and have been given blood work - nothing shows up. After my first episode the allergist gave me an epi-pen. I also carry benadryl - this helps with the itching. I will let you know if I ever get a diagnosis. Its so frustrating and when the episodes happen - so scary!! I do not feel so alone now after reading the threads...thank you.I have had similar attacks too. Last July and August 2010, I had them a few days before my period. It starts with a prickly feeling on the palms of my hands...then stomach upset-very painful, nausea,the sensation to vomit but not always and the sometimes diarrhea, last time I had intense itching on my feet and ears too.These attacks wipe me out. I've been getting them off and on for about five years. I though it was stomach problems but since discovered it isn't --I have been taking a natural enzyme pill to aid digestion (Udo's Choice). I do watch what \i eat before each period (no heavy eating, rich foods, and I think stress is a factor-- the food, stress and hormones can be a bad combination for me.... Does this make sense to anyone else?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 7, 2010
    • 04:13 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement