Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Balance Problem - Not Vertigo

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 5 Replies
  • Posted By: Zymma20
  • April 3, 2008
  • 11:27 PM

I have been going to many different doctors for over 2 years now and no one can find a diagnosis for me.

Symptoms:
- Constant feeling of being off-balance. Kind of like sea-legs. Feel like I'm falling forward or to the side.
- Symptoms increase substantially after being on an airplane, elevator, train, and sometimes in a car where there are a lot of turns/mountains/etc.
- The feeling of off-balance seems to stem from the front of my head near the sinuses and shoot through my head to the back of my neck.
- Once the off-balance feeling kicks in, I feel a bit weak and nausea sets in.
- My eyes seem to have a hard time focusing and feel like they "jump" positions of what they are staring at and sometimes get tired and feel like they cross (but that could be from working on a computer for many hours a day too).
- After and during working out with an accelerated heart rate, the balance problems increase dramatically and last for a while after finishing working out.

Doctors seen:
- ENTs - Done every test including ENG, Vemp, CT scan of canal, audiogram, etc. and everything came back normal.
- Neurologists - MRI of the brain is normal, blood tests are all in range, blood pressure is normal, epillepsy test was normal. MRI of the cervical spine shows "mild disc bulging at C3/4 and C6/7 impressing on the anterior thecal sac at these levels. Slight desiccation is present."
- Cardiologists - All tests are normal.

I eat normally healthy food and have about 5-6 small meals / day but my weight also seems to be dropping (10lbs. in a month and a half).

Please help if possible. This has been going on for about 5 years with the past 2 years getting significantly worse.

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• Have you seen an ophthalmologist for your eyes? You mentioned you are on the computer often and your eyes don't adjust. If you haven't seen one, I suggest you go to rule that out. Eye problems can cause all sorts of problems. But make sure you go to an ophthalmologist and not a optometrist.
    Beth56 272 Replies Flag this Response
  • Beth - thanks. I go to an opthamologist regularly and do wear eye glasses for reading and working on a computer. So, I do believe that rules out the eyes causing my problems. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    Zymma20 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • I thought it sounded like my problem. This link describes it.http://www.medicinenet.com/vestibular_balance_disorders/page5.htm#tocrI hope you find your answer. Beth :)
    Beth56 272 Replies Flag this Response
  • I thought it sounded like my problem. This link describes it. http://www.medicinenet.com/vestibular_balance_disorders/page5.htm#tocr I hope you find your answer. Beth :) Thanks for the suggestions Beth.
  • Sounds interesting. Never thought of this. I will look more into it. Thanks for the reply.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement