Discussions By Condition: Hip conditions

Hip and lower back pain

Posted In: Hip conditions 16 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 18, 2006
  • 09:51 PM

I am currently strugling with a burning pain in my hip and it radiates up my side and all the way down my leg into my foot. I have been to the chiropractor, and I have had back adjustments for years, but the hip pain and leg pain never go away. Doctors have sent me to therapy for pinched nerves, but have never really taken any tests for them. Laying down seems to agrivate the symptoms, and I cannot lay on that side at all because it gets cold and numb. I am really starting to wonder why the doctors are not doing anything about the pain. Therapy seemed to help for a short while, but it has now returned. I do not have any pain on the other side of my body, why only on one side.
Id appreciate any response.

Reply Flag this Discussion

16 Replies:

• I am currently strugling with a burning pain in my hip and it radiates up my side and all the way down my leg into my foot. I have been to the chiropractor, and I have had back adjustments for years, but the hip pain and leg pain never go away. Doctors have sent me to therapy for pinched nerves, but have never really taken any tests for them. Laying down seems to agrivate the symptoms, and I cannot lay on that side at all because it gets cold and numb. I am really starting to wonder why the doctors are not doing anything about the pain. Therapy seemed to help for a short while, but it has now returned. I do not have any pain on the other side of my body, why only on one side.Id appreciate any response. I am assuming that the problem side is your predominant side, correct? Usually, the predominant side of your hips will turn forward from the other one and pull the glutes and piriformis muscle tightly accross the sciatic nerve and cause that pain. As a medical manual therapist, I recommend that you engage in stretching the hip flexor muscles (where the hip bends in front) of the same leg and also the FRONT of the thigh of the same by doing a standing runners stretch. Use ice on sacrum and do not stretch the hamstrings or glute muscles any longer. Start moist heat treatments also on the front of the problematic leg in the same areas that I have indicated that need to be stretched. If in a sitting position for long periods of time, stand and stretch often. Strengthen your glutes, abdominals and hamstrings by doing tushy tucks and abdominal holds.
    listeningear 4 Replies
    • October 30, 2006
    • 10:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Only an MRI can pick up soft tissue damage, tumors, herniated discs, sacroilliac joint dysfunciton, etc. Request an MRI. Stretching can aggravate the situation if it is not properly diagnosed. The Sciatic and femoral nerves are probably involved. Does the pain go down the back of the thigh or in front by the groin?In the mean time ask for a simple tranquiliser, and take it in the morning and at night, because your anxiety over the pain causes the muscles to spasm more and puts you in a worse pain situation. This is just a temporary relief, but will help. If you are prone to anxiety, a good anti-depressant that is right for you will do wonders. If not, then muscle relaxants combined with anti-inflammatory and a tranquiliser will help. But only under doctor's supervision. I speak from personal experience. The usual massage and linament, ice/heat treatments can contribute positively.Get that MRI done.Have you had x-rays to rule out arthritis?
    marguerite 9 Replies
    • January 19, 2007
    • 11:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Man, I have to reply to this. I have been misdiagnosed for two years. Had the same "freezer burn" in lft hip and it eventually went to the top of the foot ,lft leg and big toe. my mri showed nothing but possible stenosis rt side. several shots in the back etc. I finally went to another doctor who reviews all and decides if he will see you. He stated, "Sometimes The Patient is correct" although he saw nothing that would be painful lft side vis MRI. He immediatly ordered a nerve induction test on lft leg and a lower back mylogram. Finally, the stenosis is revealed. I am not crazy. Two diag shots right into the narrowed canal, ("we have a jumper") boy that hurt, helped but wore off in two weeks and never helped foot distress. Finally, surgery on May 8th. I cannot believe others have the same pain. The best thing I ever did was change Dr.s Will post after surgery to let all know.
    jsfiat 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I had this problem of the nerve pain that went from hip to bottom of leg 72 hours of bad pain. pain pills and relaxers did not work.finnally I decided to take the pressure off the nerve by laying my back on the floor with a blanket and move my body sideways a bit till the muscle area was not tense the positioned the leg in a bent position that felt comfortrable.prop ourself up and stack pillows around you to to support yourself except the area where you think the nerve is pinched by the muscles, and take anti inflamitory every 2 hoursand strech your back carefully to keep it loose. after 2 hours i felt i could go to sleep and in in 5 hours the pain was 70 % gone. still sore but i can now sleep. stay away from the bed and the couch. hard surface area is the best to posityion yourself for relief.hope this helps others.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I had this problem of the nerve pain that went from hip to bottom of leg 72 hours of bad pain. pain pills and relaxers did not work.finnally I decided to take the pressure off the nerve by laying my back on the floor with a blanket and move my body sideways a bit till the muscle area was not tense the positioned the leg in a bent position that felt comfortrable.prop ourself up and stack pillows around you to to support yourself except the area where you think the nerve is pinched by the muscles, and take anti inflamitory every 2 hoursand strech your back carefully to keep it loose. after 2 hours i felt i could go to sleep and in in 5 hours the pain was 70 % gone. still sore but i can now sleep. stay away from the bed and the couch. hard surface area is the best to posityion yourself for relief.hope this helps others.I have had similar problems, my waist is ice cold most of the time....... It started in my hips about 6 months ago doctor said it was burstis and since going back to see him as my lower back has increased in pain also he said take two co-codamol as there wasn't anything wrong with me!! I later went to a locum doctor and he sent me for an x-ray as the severe pain continued....and so now I have been on Dicloflax for sometime now, as I get such severe pain I cant walk hardly my feet burn and the pain is unbareable. However since being on this treatment along with Tramadol my general routine is easier. The Burning still continues and the cold numbness in my legs and thighs but no pain........I have been off work for over 8 weeks now as I did go back to work half way but I was sent home due to loss off feeling on one side. I have had an x-ray and othopaedic said my spine is straight in the lumbar region and my vertbrae is thinning in the lower region. I was sent for an MRI I am waiting for the results.......
  • If you have more leg (butt) than back pain, check out Applied Spine .com.They have an investigational device that is supposed to be just for this!!
  • Man, I have to reply to this. I have been misdiagnosed for two years. Had the same "freezer burn" in lft hip and it eventually went to the top of the foot ,lft leg and big toe. my mri showed nothing but possible stenosis rt side. several shots in the back etc. I finally went to another doctor who reviews all and decides if he will see you. He stated, "Sometimes The Patient is correct" although he saw nothing that would be painful lft side vis MRI. He immediatly ordered a nerve induction test on lft leg and a lower back mylogram. Finally, the stenosis is revealed. I am not crazy. Two diag shots right into the narrowed canal, ("we have a jumper") boy that hurt, helped but wore off in two weeks and never helped foot distress. Finally, surgery on May 8th. I cannot believe others have the same pain. The best thing I ever did was change Dr.s Will post after surgery to let all know.JSFIAT: I have exactly the same pain you describe. I have been suffering for nearly 8 years. I am trying to find the post you said you would leave after your surgery for stenosis. Did it help? Thanks.
  • I need help with some thing, i have had 3 MRI scans, Bone scan, CT scan done and nothing show's up, but now i have a new thing where the pain is coming from my back going to my hip and right down my right leg to my foot. I really dont wan to have a needel put into my back. Can any one help me? I have been this for 3 years but as only come really bad in the last 2 years
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 22, 2009
    • 10:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i have this pain too. it occurred from a car accident. It started out with just llower back pain and has now gone into my L hip down my leg. I cant sit with legs crossed and when laying down i have to put my lft leg bent up. i was told by the mri i had disc dislocation at L4-L5. whatever that is
  • Has anyone had both hips hurt and burning pain in the lower back that is worse at night? Please help. PT is not helping and NSAIDs don't work either.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 3, 2010
    • 02:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I know this is an old post but I have 2comment, I was in a car accident 9 years ago and had ruptured dosks inm back and had surgury 2remove them. Felt fine for awhile then pain came back and was intense and went down my leg. I tried everything the doctor told me to, injections therapy ect, anyways he then ordered a mri and said he sees no reason for me 2b in so much pain, he he decides to send me to a nurologist and says if they find nothing he will no longer prescribe me pain meds, Well I go and have a nerve conduction test done and find I have sever perminent neve damage, No cure will b on pain meds for life. Ask for a nerve conduction test it will show what noone can see with any other test
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 29, 2010
    • 07:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• JSFIAT: I have exactly the same pain you describe. I have been suffering for nearly 8 years. I am trying to find the post you said you would leave after your surgery for stenosis. Did it help? Thanks.Did you ever find the post as I have the same thing and need help
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 12, 2011
    • 10:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had similar problems, my waist is ice cold most of the time....... It started in my hips about 6 months ago doctor said it was burstis and since going back to see him as my lower back has increased in pain also he said take two co-codamol as there wasn't anything wrong with me!! I later went to a locum doctor and he sent me for an x-ray as the severe pain continued....and so now I have been on Dicloflax for sometime now, as I get such severe pain I cant walk hardly my feet burn and the pain is unbareable. However since being on this treatment along with Tramadol my general routine is easier. The Burning still continues and the cold numbness in my legs and thighs but no pain........I have been off work for over 8 weeks now as I did go back to work half way but I was sent home due to loss off feeling on one side. I have had an x-ray and othopaedic said my spine is straight in the lumbar region and my vertbrae is thinning in the lower region. I was sent for an MRI I am waiting for the results.......I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritus and my left hip has been numb and heats up over the past 6 years but it would go away quickly once I moved around, now it is more serious in that it will heat up and hurt and burn so that I can't lay on that side when I go to bed and where it used to be only a few minutes, the past couple of nights its been half an hour at least and I can't do anything about it. I am waiting for an mri but i've been waiting for 2 months and I'm to go to a hearing for disability in August. This has gotten worse. Sometime I just press a bottle of cold water up against it and it feels a little better but I'm only 56 and I'm too young to have these problems, but have them I do. I wanted to know if this has something to do with the psiatic nerve because my husband had something similar years ago and he had a herniated disk. Squatting or bending over makes my lower back worse. I may have to call an ambulance one of these times because sometimes I can't bend over at all and the mornings are the worst. If I can't get the MRI before the hearing then I may have to just go to emergency. I've always been a strong and capable woman so this is kind of a low blow cause now I have to take a break from cleaning and even standing for any length of time. Any advice for this problem? It hasn't gone into my leg and foot although it seemed like my thigh hurt last time. Thanks, this is my first time here and I'm just trying to get some answers. Thank you.
    jankathleen 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • First time on here. I have this problem also but a little different. My hip heats up on the left side but as far as I know it doesn't travel down my leg to my foot, it stays in my hip.I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritus and my hip has heated up like this since 2005 but then it was only when I was sitting down at my desk at work for a long time. Now its every day and the past two nights have been the worst. It also burns and no matter what I do it stays about thirty minutes now where before it would go away in a few minutes. Almost every day I get this and sometimes I take bubble baths and it seems to keep it from happening. It isn't like i'm doing anything strenuous. Just making dinner and I'm at the computer and sometimes I walk to the store and back. I am waiting for an MRI but I've been waiting for over 2 months and i'm thinking of calling an ambulance and going to emergency because sometimes I can hardly move in the morning and bend over. I am going to court August 17th and I have no MRI. I did have one in 2008 but its definitely worse now. Does this have something to do with a herniated disk?My husband had his hip hurting like this only it was the other side and he couldn't move at all his back hurt so much and now he is retired and won his disability case but I'm really worried cause I can't find a job in California and don't know how I will possibly work if I don't win. I've been waiting for a year now and I have a doctor but this MRI appointment is taking too long, everything seems to take too long with the health care these days and time is running out. This is just in my hip so far and it is quite annoying when it happens every day.
    jankathleen 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hip and lower back pain are very painful, it makes unfit to do any physical or household work and these pain can lead to several major problem, I would suggest you to consult a chiropractic as they will help you to get rid of your trouble without undergoing any surgery.
    Ammy Wats 53 Replies
    • August 13, 2012
    • 09:09 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hip and lower back pain is a very debilitating disease. There is a better way to treat arthritis and other orthopedic diseases. Surgery is not always the answer. Platelet rich plasma and stem cell injections help regenerate broken/diseased tissue structures in our joints making them better and alleviate pain. Consists of a series of injections in the hip joint and recovery would take days to weeks rather than months after surgery. Dr Joseph Purita is an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in regenerative medicine. Best wishes everyone.
    Manuel4 1 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement