Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

2 painful spots on back of head

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 26 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 2, 2008
  • 01:29 AM

just seeing if anyone else has experienced this as i feel quite ridiculous about it. its been going on for a few years,but this past weekend was the worst it has been. i have two spots on the back of my head,in the hair,about two three inches in from each ear. they almost feel swollen when it first starts,are painful to the touch and make my neck and head feel uncomfortable. i get a sort of foggy headache,cant concentrate well,get forgetful, and have an off balance feeling. sometimes putting cold compresses on the back of my head,so it hits both spots, helps. the first few days this time were awful,im now into the fifth day,and it has subsided alot but i am exhausted. anyone?????

Reply Flag this Discussion

26 Replies:

• could be the beginning of shingles...how's it doing?
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • are you female? If so, like me you may be experiencing something hormonal. I think I once searched on this site for "sore spots on skull" and the best, or closest answer I say that made sense, was that we have some glands there, and like glands do, they occassionally get swollen....in my case, hormones account not only for the swollen sore spots but also for the fuzziness and drunk kind of feelings, off balance (I am 48 and in perimenopause...) I experience....If you are female and mid thirities on up, you may want to look up more on hormones in general and even perimenopause....If you are male...sorry I don't really know the exact cause ;).....Joan ps: birth control pills made it worse.....
    Joan5555 316 Replies Flag this Response
  • Blaze am I going to have to report you again? I did not ask for your advice. Keep your personal comments to yourself and do not hijack this thread from someone who is sincerely asking for our help.
    Joan5555 316 Replies Flag this Response
  • well,actually...i was very receptive to joans opinion,as ever since i started peri-and am now actually in meno--i have had many many symptoms that,though seem strange,and though some docs disagree- WERE related to all of it. i have told myself that it cant possibly be anything all that serious,as i would be much worse off,since these flareups of it, started a few years ago. many things also,seem to become more bothersome,or come to the forefront during these stages of a womans life.for more info on the weird symptoms that MANY women DO experience,check out minniepauz.com. finding out that many women experience what you do, sure helps you not feel like you are a hypochondriac,or losing your mind.in my research on the net,i found some pics of the arteries in the head,and what kind of scared me was i saw there are two in the back of your head that feed into everything the cartoids do. but,im not sure about this.....and if joan is right,that it is glands back there...well,that eases my mind. i have a dr appointment this month,and i am going to talk to her about this. i am going on a week since it started,no medication helps..it has subsided alot and the spots are not so tender now ....but i am still feeling pressure in my head,lightheaded, etc. it is just so uncomfortable and frustrating.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have been looking for someone with this same problem for a long time. I also have these sore spots. They seem to be at the junction of either sutures or tendons. Every so often the pain disappears, but usually if I touch the spots they feel like they are slightly bruised to very badly bruised. I've noticed them for years but am not sure how long exactly. I have similar spots where my upper and lower arm bones meet at the outer elbow. if I feel around I locate painful spots deep in the juncture there also. These I know for fact appeared about 15 years ago after I experienced whiplash from being rear ended and developed a sort of fibromyalgia which eventually subsided after a few months on low dose amyltriptylline and a daily exercise regimen (most therapeutic of all). At this moment the spots at the back of my head are very tender and I believe the back of my neck, upper back and temples are in low grade spasm. I wish I knew what causes this pain to fluctuate. I don't even mention it to my health practitioner because i can live with it and I don't want anything in my medical records but the good health I am generally in, and I certainly don't want to start on the CYA diagnostic road of Xrays, MRI's, CT scans. I believe it is the result of some sort of inflammatory condition though and right now I am going to take a couple of ibuprofen and go for a run. Let me know if this rings a bell with anyone.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 6, 2009
    • 09:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Do you have actual lumps where you have the sore spots? A few months ago, a lymph node about an inch away from my ear was swollen, and it felt very hard and painful. Maybe you have a swollen lymph node. (Sorry for my lack of help, I'm rarely sick)
    CharmedOneTAR 4 Replies
    • January 7, 2009
    • 00:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Okay, this is musculo-skeletal in origin. The muscles beneath the scalp being affected in this case include the posterior and anterior auricular muscles, as well as the occipitalis. The point of tension is actually originating from the sternocleidomastoid muscle, which is why you're head and neck feel strange during exacerbation of the symptoms. Realize that sternocleidomastoid syndrome can develop and among other symptoms, can invoke dizziness because of its proximity and influence upon the vestibular network. I would suggest that you undergo formal evaluation to determine whether the syndrome could be responsible for your symptoms. By contrast, your symptoms are entirely inconsistent with hormonal dysregulation, positive lymphadenopathy, shingles and last but not least, use of a cell phone. Best regards, J Cottle, MD
    JCottleMD 580 Replies
    • January 7, 2009
    • 00:36 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I do not have lumps, rather the pain is centered in bilateral small depressed area which feel like tendons sutures, whatever are coming together. At times I can actually feel tendons or tiny muscles in spasm. massaging the area seems to exacerbate the symptoms. I do believe that what I have is some sort of myofascitis, but I don't believe it is sternocleidomastoid syndrome, because thevery sore spots are posterior to wear I would think the sternocleidomastoid would originate. I feel like that whatever is in spasm extends down the back of my head, neck and back, rather than around to the ears or throat.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 7, 2009
    • 05:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Does the pain go as far forward as your eyes or are you sensitive to light?Does it hurt on the side of your head,too?
    richard wayne2b 1,232 Replies
    • January 7, 2009
    • 00:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • No. If it radiates anywhere it is down my back. In fact I suppose it's possible that the origin is my upper back or neck as I tend to carry a lot of tension there. last night I rubbed Traumeel on the spots just to see if it would work and the areas are much less sore and today I can very clearly feel the stringy tendons or muscles, whatever they are, that seem to be in spasm. Unfortunately I can't go around with Traumeel in my hair, but I think I'm going to try Traumeel in pills and see if that works as well as I am definitley impressed with the results of topical. It worked much better than the ibuprofen I was taking yesterday. Then again I also took a couple of magnesium tabs last night before bed. I wonder if that might have helped too, but it seems to me that it is an antiinflammatory effect that I am feeling today.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 7, 2009
    • 04:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm not certain, but it seems as though the thread was hijacked. To MOBO: My post was in response to the person who originally started the thread, coastal I believe. I have not read your comments or reviewed your symptoms. If you have questions, they should be addressed independently of the person who started the thread and is seeking answers. This prevents the sort of confusion being demonstrated here. Sternocleidomastoid syndrome does not necessarily have focal pain directly associated with the anatomical location of the muscle group itself and other symptoms must be present for such a diagnosis to be entertained. Again, my response was intended for the person originally posting the question. Best regards, J Cottle, MD
    JCottleMD 580 Replies
    • January 8, 2009
    • 01:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• my senior year of high school i got these 2 lumps in the back of my head that eventually turned hard. i went to the doctor and was told it was an abscess. the doctor lanced it and drained it and packed it. this released the pressure and i was prescribed antibiotics bactrim and told to use an antifungal shampoo for 2 weeks. after that i would go in for these injections. one lump went away pretty much the other one on the left side which was bigger left the area somewhat disfigured and the hair still hasnt grown back fully. doctors tell me whats left is only dead skin. i thought it was still infected because i would get these headaches that tylenol or painkillers could not help. the pain was unbearable and disorientating. it hurt at the top of my head the side of my head my jaw and sometimes down the side of my body and my throat. at first popping my neck would help. when this stopped working i looked it up on the internet and found similar symptoms with sternocleidomastoid syndrome. thats when i found alternate ways of treating these so called headaches. there are certain neck exercises that help. water from those different setting shower heads works sometimes also. but in the most extreme cases i find that muscle relaxers do the job. i use a combo of each using muscle relaxers flexeril only in the most extreme cases. i really wish there was something else i could do because i cant see living with this pain the rest of my life. it gets so bad sometimes i just cant take it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 24, 2009
    • 06:41 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been searching for info regarding pain I'm experiencing on my skull. I have two hard knots, the left side is slightly larger than the right, both are at least the size of a quarter, on the back of my skull in the area of the occipital. It hurts, sharp pains, to touch this area. Also have long history of migraines and TMJ pain occassionally. Oddly enough, when I do get a bad migraine, getting a very hard scalp massage helps. This area (the knots) is even more painful during an attack. Is this is nerve? Do we all have knots back there? I was curious if all three are related and if it's normal..Thanks.
  • There are bumps at the base of the occiput,and they can get tender,often due to occipital neuralgia.Perhaps yours are just not symmetrical.Are your knots mobile at all?
    richard wayne2b 1,232 Replies Flag this Response
  • I also have two swollen spots, each at the lower part of the head but certainly above the neck, about 2.5-3 inches from each other. They are tender, and I have experienced a patch of hair loss since I noticed them, so not sure if related? I just did a search on this and got to this site.Nice to know I am not the only one with this, hoping t find our more info. Hoping it is not serious. I have no insurance so am reluctant to go in and get it checked out. I am female, aged 43. Had surgery for a tumor that they said might have been the cause of too much hormones (est), and they removed my uterous as the tumor was attached. Maybe the hormone problem is still there.
  • Hi, today (June 17, 2009) I began experiencing the exact symptoms you describe. Did you ever get a diagnosis?d
  • I'm experiencing the same thing - really bruised feeling on either side of the back of my head. Also feeling very fatigued, a little sore in the throat, 'fuzziness' in my mind at times. Forgetfulness. I'm 40 yrs old and have been told by my gyne (during an unrelated visit) that I have symptoms of peri-menopause. I got on a BC pill to help regulate my hormones, but now i'm wondering if it's screwing them up more. It's usually worse in the morning, and totally messes with my productivity. I have very little energy (not good for a mother with three kids, 8 & under!). Haven't seen a dr about this yet - trying to see if it would go away. Has been about 2 weeks now. Ibuprofen doesn't seem to help much.
  • I have been experiencing pain behind my ears in conjunction with neck pain & shoulder pain. I also get dizzy/fainting spells but not necessarily at the same time as my flare-ups but I'm beginning to believe my joint pain & dizzy spells are somehow related. I posted a thread today here before I saw this post:http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=61281I don't have a diagnosis yet but I suspect some kind of autoimmune disease. I will be seeing a Rheumatologist soon.
  • i hope Dr Cottle who answered my original post is still on these boards and can respond again, as that answer was very insightful and seems correct. i never did discuss this with my dr, as it had gone away once again which makes me forget it, till another flare up. i have since had quite a few flare ups.....and they seem to get worse with each one. i did, fortunately find a drug that helps,after nothing over the counter would work. the problem is the drug comes from mexico,is not fda approved, and some of the US docs seem to think it causes adrenal gland problems. it is a combo of a muscle relaxer, anti inflammatory,and steroid if i remember correctly. i have an awful flareup starting today after months of none...and enough pills left for this one time. i would like to know what kind of doctor would be the best to see for this, and also are there any meds here in the states based on what ive said about the mexican one, that you think would help so i can tell the doc?
    coastal 2 Replies
    • December 30, 2009
    • 10:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been looking for someone with this same problem for a long time. I also have these sore spots. They seem to be at the junction of either sutures or tendons. Every so often the pain disappears, but usually if I touch the spots they feel like they are slightly bruised to very badly bruised. I've noticed them for years but am not sure how long exactly. I have similar spots where my upper and lower arm bones meet at the outer elbow. if I feel around I locate painful spots deep in the juncture there also. These I know for fact appeared about 15 years ago after I experienced whiplash from being rear ended and developed a sort of fibromyalgia which eventually subsided after a few months on low dose amyltriptylline and a daily exercise regimen (most therapeutic of all). At this moment the spots at the back of my head are very tender and I believe the back of my neck, upper back and temples are in low grade spasm. I wish I knew what causes this pain to fluctuate. I don't even mention it to my health practitioner because i can live with it and I don't want anything in my medical records but the good health I am generally in, and I certainly don't want to start on the CYA diagnostic road of Xrays, MRI's, CT scans. I believe it is the result of some sort of inflammatory condition though and right now I am going to take a couple of ibuprofen and go for a run. Let me know if this rings a bell with anyone.I have the exact same symptoms which is why I was on this site. I've had these symptoms for about 10 years. The first time I remember having them was following a particularly bad viral illness. I had some injections in the tender spots in the back of my skull. It felt great after that, but only lasted several months. I had that done two more times. The physician who did it was a friend and then he moved away, so I didn't get any more injections. I'm constantly popping Advil because I get a lot of headaches. The tender spots are all over my skull, on the neck, back and shoulders. They are mirrored on both sides of the body.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 7, 2010
    • 03:18 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement