Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Scalp tenderness above right ear.

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 12 Replies
  • Posted By: dinosa22
  • April 1, 2008
  • 11:40 PM

Hello,
Hi everyone, thank you for taking the time to read this. About a year ago I have had this scalp tenderness/pain above my right ear, iv'e done some research in an anatomy book and it's in the temporal fascia/aricularis sup region. It is not constant but will come when I'm nervous or get stressed out, sometimes when I laugh hard, that area tightens up and hurts slightly until I stop laughing my head off. It's not really a headache, more like skin/nerve pain perhaps? I'm assuming it started from bench pressing about a year ago, I think I strained too hard and could have hurt myself up there. I have stopped weight lifting eversince and stuck to regular body resistance training, pushups,pull ups,situps etc, since i'm in martial arts, and need to be active with my muscles somehow. I did do some research about weight lifting and got quite a scare about possible brain aneurisms. When this first occurred a year ago I was having a headache around that region for about 2 weeks, then the headache stopped for good and the scalp tenderness stayed. My doctor, told me I hurt my nerve/muscle since he saw no symptoms of an aneurysm through my eyes, he said it should take3-6 months to heal. This examination was about a year ago when it first started. Any Ideas to what this may be? I forgot to add that I kind of feel a very small bulge around that area, not even noticable until you slide your fingers firmly over it. When I laugh hard the bulge kind of gets bigger too? real strange, any help would be great.

Reply Flag this Discussion

12 Replies:

• Does your doctor have x-ray eyes? With your history, I would want to be certain that you didn't have an aneurism and ask for a referral to a neurologist for testing. It could also be shingles-like.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hey guys, thanks for the referral and the rather depressing cell phone warning. I should definitely get a ct scan, They say it takes cancer 10 years to develop? I'm 22 years old and had a cell phone for about 4-5 years, although the last two years I have used it very frequently. I am hoping this is not cancer, it's not really a headache and I don't display the symptoms of brain tumor?, more like under the skin pain and not brain pain. However, reading that article has opened my eyes to only use the cell phone only when needed and not for leisure,haha, i'm guessing wired home phones will get their groove back. I'm sure in the brain tumor symptoms section they would have listed when laughing hard part of your scalp tightens, kind of ruling that out but never know whats there till the CT. Hoping to God it's not serious, I'll keep this updated. Take care everyone, god bless.
    dinosa22 5 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello Blaze, Thank you for your kind words and care. Is your ex-husband alright ever since the operation? I hope god blesses you and your family always, I will keep you in my prayers. Basically, it's sort of an extremely small swelling, not even noticable unless you run your finger firmly over it. Hmmm, what you say is sort of true, So far what you have said about microwave sickness is right. I think we are getting somewhere. The only symptoms I do have is that slight pain in the skin headache and I did get a quite unusual rash on my left arm about two weeks ago, that same rash appeared on the same ear I talk on the phone with. Both rashes are gone but they were quite unusual. I thought they were from spider bites since we do have alot out here, they did not seem like it though. Maybe my story would be useful to you, I was in a long distance relationship with my girlfriend from Hawaii, so we talked a lot on the cell phone for the passed two years. When I went out there for the entire summer, my symptoms left and I did not feel pain up there at all since I was away from computers and cell phone use was extremely limited. Since we were together, and always lived an active lifestyle. When I came back to the mainland, over time these symptoms started occurring again with an extra symptom, laughing too hard sometimes causes a 5-10 second tenseness in the area. Nothing beats a CT scan and I definitely cannot play with fire. Pre-caution will be used when using a cell phone from now on. Untill then, I will keep this post updated with what the problem really is.
  • Thanks for the sites Blaze, I will be reading them soon. I'l keep this posted after I get diagnostics.
  • hi, I hope everything is going well regarding your head pain. it is actually interesting that you said this because I found this post looking for information on the exact same pain. I have it on both sides of my head in the same place and I can pinpoint when it started to exercising at the gym as well. it has now probably been about two months that I have had it and it comes on at about the same times- stress, laughing, etc. have you had any luck with an diagnosis? best of luck!
    kmanoukian 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • http://cbass.com/dangers_heavy_lifting.htmI would consider shingles if you didn't have the other issues.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hey Kmanoukian, I started this post about a month or two ago, Honestly, I havent tried a CT or anything of that sort yet since ive been busy with school. Two of my doctors say it's probably not serious and goes away with time (with relaxation and no stresses). It could be many things, but I am honestly ruling out anything serious such as a tumor or an unruptured aneurysm, dont think about those factors. They just drive you nuts if you worry about them. Even If they were, i'm sure the number 1 symtpom on those would be laughing causes slight pain/slight bulge, which is not in those cases. However, if you read the posts from others, many have their own opinions. In our cases, I do believe we got this from a strain when we weight lifted, my doctors are telling me it's a nerve/muscle strain...which explain the "laugh" symptom he said. When I went to Hawaii for 3 months to study Chinese. I was very active cardio wise and a lot of my stresses went away as well as the problem. I managed to relax a lot, I did not weight lift since I swam most of the time. I also lived with a dog that really helped me relieve stress believe it or not. When I came back here, i got back into school, had lack of sleep, worked alot, etc etc. Problem came back. My advice to you is to take a break from weight lifting for a while, don't lift in ways that would strain the back of your neck. When you get back into weight lifting start out very light and learn correct postures and breathing routines!! I did and it helped tremendously. Try not stress too much either man, learn some relaxation techniques as well and make sure you get enough sleep! A glass of wine a day helps too :) Take care and god bless! Let me know if you have any other questions.
  • hi, I hope everything is going well regarding your head pain. it is actually interesting that you said this because I found this post looking for information on the exact same pain. I have it on both sides of my head in the same place and I can pinpoint when it started to exercising at the gym as well. it has now probably been about two months that I have had it and it comes on at about the same times- stress, laughing, etc. have you had any luck with an diagnosis? best of luck!I wrote you a response, should be at the end of this topic/next page.
  • Hey dinosa22,thanks so much for your reply, I feel bad I wasn't notified or anything so I didn't see it until now checking up on the forum! that really helped a lot though, and things are actually a lot better (still comes back with stress though, but not as often). thanks for all the advice, I hope everything is well with you too! Take care!
    kmanoukian 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello fellow "above right ear" stabing pain sufferers. I too have it and it is stabbing. Just wondering how many of you use a computer mouse and are right handed?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello fellow "above right ear" stabing pain sufferers. I too have it and it is stabbing. Just wondering how many of you use a computer mouse and are right handed?I too have the same issue above my right ear--It just feels "tender" and "brusised"--sometimes to the touch, othertimes just a headache. Maybe Stress is the culprit here. I do use the computer mouse and am right handed.Anyone have any more info on diagnosis or treatment? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I also have the symptoms you describe. I found this: http://www.round-earth.com/SCM.htmlPlease check it out!
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement