Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Fluttering and bubbling feeling in leg

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 90 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 26, 2008
  • 05:04 PM

Hi

This is a strange one. It started about a year ago when I go to bed. It feels like I can feel the blood running through my veins. Its a horrible feeling, not painful, just scary. Recently it has been getting worse. I feel it through the day, not just in bed. Plus it sometimes feels as though I have something living under my skin and is kicking! I mentioned it to the doctor recently and he said "thats strange". That was it! It could be described as a fluttering or bubbling feeling.

I worry because I have a varicose vein in this leg and I retain water. Instinct tells me it is something to do with my circulation but I worry that it may be a warning sign of DVT and as I fly at least 4 times a year, I am worried.

Has anyone suffered anything similar?

Debbie

Reply Flag this Discussion

90 Replies:

• Don't listen to Blaze, she says lyme to every poster here! I am not sure what it is, but may be worth further invesigation...I might wonder about blood clots...are you on birthcontrol pills? Or have high blood pressure?...I don't think flying just 4 times a year is a cause for concern though....Joan
    Joan5555 316 Replies Flag this Response
  • Debbie, I sincerely am trying to help...EVERYTHING in my previous post is sincere. You can view my other posts on this site to see that this is the case. Good luck!:) Joan
    Joan5555 316 Replies Flag this Response
  • I had the same thing this month and went to the emergency room. After blood work and an ultrasound of my veins, the doctor came out and said she didn't know what it was but didn't seem to be anything major. Another doctor friend said I needed a good quality electrolite and since getting on them, it seems to have gone away. I think it is related to the herpes viruses, shingles-like or other, and that the nerves are inflamed. If I were you, since you do fly, you need to rule out blood clots for peace of mind. I sleep better since finding out.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thank you for your messages. It is still worrying me and I am subsequently going for a private check up (BUPA) as doctors here are useless. I live in England and very much doubt Lymes is a concern for me. The fluttering feelings have increased to other parts of my body now and feels more like muscle twitches. There is no pain just strange twitches around my body.Debsy
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have the same exact symptoms in my left leg. When I went in all I got was "that is odd." Not a very helpful diagnosis! I'm new to this but the more I research vascular issues the more depressed I get. There seems to be very little they can do. The tools to help diagnose vascular issues seem to be nearly non-existant. Have you had any further luck researching the issue?!?!? Cameron
    CFrasnelly 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi Debsy. Have you ever been tested for Restless Legs Syndrome or PAD?
  • The doctor told me that if there was no blood clot that it might be coming from the brain...leg pain=brain involvement; I'll have to investigate further once I get insurance. I think it's coming from shingles/herpes type virus going down the trunk nerves.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • Debsy!Is it left, right or both legs?
    Felsen 510 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi Debbie,I too have exactly the same symptoms and like yours, they're not painful, but just a bit scary. Mine too have got worse over time but although I travel alot I don't think they get any worse after flying.I've had previous comlications with the coldsore virus and I'm thinking that it's more to do with electrical impulses than circulation. Be interested to know how you get on with any further investigations.
    ladyDee 1 Replies
    • October 15, 2008
    • 05:29 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It also sounds to me like restless leg syndrome, and the feeling of "blood running through your veins" is a common description. I've actually had the same thing but have never worried about it, as it fits the definition since you want to move your leg instead of just lying still and focusing on the strange feeling.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 31, 2008
    • 05:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • 47 yr old male in good health, having fluttering/bubbling in lower right leg. Happens more at night when I first get in bed. Weird. No pain. Calf is a little tight though.Glad I'm not the only one who's having it, sort of.I think the electrolyte issue will be the first I'll try. Have seen that response on other blogs/forums.Thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 24, 2009
    • 09:17 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hi - I have the same feeling in my legs. I am 40 fly long distance flights often (economy), retain water, am slightly overweight, do little to no excersize and smoke. It is more pronounced in my left leg where I had an internal injury 15 years ago which is still painfull at times. Lately I am also having more ad hoc cramps in my legs. Have you guys found out anything else? I cannot think that this could be Herpes related as 1. never get cold sores and 2. I do not have genital herpes. The fluttering is concening due to all the flights.
  • I have this, too, and would describe it as a bubbling (like a string of air bubbles in water) or fluttering. I get it in the back of my legs, usually behind the knee/lower thigh area. It is not painful but makes me uncomfortable because I'm afraid I might have a blood clot or something. Very strange.I'm a 41 yr old female and am generally in good health. Slightly overweight and moderate exercise, mostly healthy eating and drink plenty of water. I'm not convinced this is restless leg syndrome since there is no pain or burning, and I wouldn't say that I feel like I "have to move" when it occurs. It happens usually when I am sitting on a chair or sofa.I believe it is either vascular (which, again, makes me scared of clots) or it is a nerve issue that is making an unusual muscle or nerve flutter. I'd really like to find out what's causing this. I haven't brought it up to a doctor because I think they probably won't find anything wrong. I've had various tests run recently for something else and my blood pressure and other things were all normal.One other thing to note - I had this similar leg flutter sensation in my late teens/early twenties when I was on birth control pills (ortho novum). It only happened then once in a while and it was annoying. When I stopped the birth control pills the flutters stopped. The fluttering/bubbling feeling I have now has been going on for the past few years (after the birth of my first child).Occasionally I have had some unexplained leg pain in the same general area - a dull pain/ache and soreness for a few days that bothers me when sitting, but this never happens on the days I am having the fluttering feeling.Hopefully someone will figure out what this is and what can be done to make it stop - or at least ease our fears (if it is harmless) or help us to get treatment if it is something more serious.
    stellar*michelle 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • OK, you all might think I am crazy but this started for me in my left leg and I kept thinking it was my phone going off because I put it on vibrate a lot. The funny thing is I didn't have my phone in my pocket at the time. So here is the part that may or may not be crazy. This only started after I got the phone and started putting it in my pocket. So what do you think folks..... could it be our cell phones?
  • This happens to me when I sit down for a while or cross my leg. It can even happen on my foot if im sitting on it. I think it has to do with restless leg syndrome.
    Billytogan 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • My sister has had this for about 10 years. She's 49 now. You can actually see the calves bubbling (both). I have even noticed it while she was sound asleep. I think it started in her left leg first. Over the years it will get better, then worse. Recently, she said she is starting to feel it in her thighs! It is really scaring me because I worry it might be symptoms of a neuromuscular disease like multiple sclerosis or Gillian Barrie (not that this is what it is because she has no notable muscle weakness. I read all the posts and someone mentioned muscle tightness. I have also noticed this in her calves. I'm a nurse and find it strange that so many people are coming down with this and I had never heard of it before. It's like many neurons firing at random causing muscle contractions. She used to take birth control in her 20's - 30's. She has had hepatitis. She's done a lot of ball room dancing (on her legs). She did THC and pot in her hay-day in the 70s. She smokes cigarettes. No one else in the family has had these symptoms that I have ever heard of. This seems to be something new that has come on the sceen. I wish someone would find out what is causing it. Thanks.. and you guys keep posting. Please add a little medical history - that might help....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 28, 2009
    • 09:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I don't have the Answer, I've noticed a lot of people said they were around 40-50 and were mostly on birth control at one point, But I'm a 15 year old boy, which I can confidently tell you I've never been on it ;p. But I have Anemia (low Iron) but i doubt that has anything to do with it. I'm in good general health for a teen. It just freaks me out because you can see it and feel it with my hand over top. I really hate how no one seems to have gotten a straight answer from a doctor. I went on WebMD.com for their symptom checker and it's not even a symptom. I don't know I'm not going to worry about it because if some one complained about the same thing then dies because of it, I would have found it by now. Good luck to everyone else though, and it's nice to know I'm not alone.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 29, 2009
    • 08:16 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you for your messages. It is still worrying me and I am subsequently going for a private check up (BUPA) as doctors here are useless. I live in England and very much doubt Lymes is a concern for me. The fluttering feelings have increased to other parts of my body now and feels more like muscle twitches. There is no pain just strange twitches around my body.DebsyJust wondering . Did you find out anything ?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 29, 2009
    • 02:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My wife has exactly the same condition (bubbling in legs behind knees/burning in her arms/and constantly saying it in her veigns). She is 47 and has been on birth controll too. We have been to many doctors over the past year (General Pract, Rheumotologists, and neurologists). We still have no answers, the latest thinking is that an neck MRI result shows arthritis in the neck, which may be pressing on nerves that are causing this, it's too early to tell but I'm not overly optomistic.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 31, 2009
    • 07:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm 15 too, and male. I work out a lot (football), and drink enough water. I got it while Youtubing in my computer seat. I've had these contractions for awhile, they are very freaky. I can see them too. I've never been harmed by this though.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 3, 2009
    • 10:09 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement