Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Bone surgery leg ganglion cyst

Posted In: Medical Stories 18 Replies
  • Posted By: cheryl48
  • October 18, 2006
  • 06:45 AM

I have recently had surgery removing a ganglion cyst from the middle of my tibia. They were unsure of what it was from all the test including a bone biopsy. They watched it for a little over a year. I have been seeing an orthopedic oncologist, The sugery was done and I was told it was a ganglion cyst....I have not been able to find out any information on the web about this type being located in the bone. Has anyone ever heard of this or have any information. I was also told it could grow back again and then I would have to have it removed again. By the way the cyst was located inside the middle of the tibia plateu. Thank you Cheryl

Reply Flag this Discussion

18 Replies:

• net.org/jns/issues/v92n2/pdf/n0920334.pdf Here is a site that explains recurring ganglion cyst in the tibia plataeu. I hope that this helps. :)
    lynnwalden 20 Replies
    • October 22, 2006
    • 05:26 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have recently had surgery removing a ganglion cyst from the middle of my tibia. They were unsure of what it was from all the test including a bone biopsy. They watched it for a little over a year. I have been seeing an orthopedic oncologist, The sugery was done and I was told it was a ganglion cyst....I have not been able to find out any information on the web about this type being located in the bone. Has anyone ever heard of this or have any information. I was also told it could grow back again and then I would have to have it removed again. By the way the cyst was located inside the middle of the tibia plateu. Thank you CherylDid you experience any pain with the cyst. My son is 16 years old and has a knot on the back of the calve of his leg. We are scheduled to go to the doctor. I'm concerned about it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 22, 2006
    • 00:04 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I just had surgery on my knee to remove scar tissue and do a lateral release. My MRI prior to the surgery showed that I had a ganglion cyst in the bone as well. According to my doctor it is very rare for them to be in the bone, but it does happen. My doctor decided that it would be best not to operate on the cyst now and wait and see if the scar tissue and etc. were the cause of my pain. I was also told that it is rare for them to cause pain, but once again there are cases where it can cause moderate to severe pain. I hope this helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 1, 2007
    • 00:36 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I get these in my wrist and have for the better part of a decade. I have had three surgeries and they are in both my wrists as we speak. They are very painful and most the time are found in main join areas like your hands, wrists, knees, and ankles. I have recently been getting pain in my ankles as well hopefully they don't start thee too. They can be a huge bump or if you are lucky like me they are small and deep in the joint so the surgery is that much more painful. I have two very ugly scars on my wrists and the docs say they have no idea why they keep coming back. I want to say I will just live with them but I am a cake make and stay at home mom so working with my hands is a must. They don't know why they keep coming back because they don't know what causes them thee are some theories like overuse of the area or response to a injury. Hope this info helps if you find anything that says why they keep coming back in your research please let me know :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 15, 2007
    • 04:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am 38 years old and think I have a few of these wrapped around my left leg from the outside of my thigh down to the inside of my knee. The thigh cyst (size of a small pancake) has been there and growing with ocasional pain for about 4 years, the knee cyst (size of a pinkie) or what feels like a large fatty vein appeared within the last two years. I have a golf ball sized possible cyst on the back of my left calf that has been there since I was 14. I always thought it was a herniated muscle. I will consult a doctor soon, and think surgery is inevitable. Anyone with any experience or advice, please let me know. Thanks!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have recently had surgery removing a ganglion cyst from the middle of my tibia. They were unsure of what it was from all the test including a bone biopsy. They watched it for a little over a year. I have been seeing an orthopedic oncologist, The sugery was done and I was told it was a ganglion cyst....I have not been able to find out any information on the web about this type being located in the bone. Has anyone ever heard of this or have any information. I was also told it could grow back again and then I would have to have it removed again. By the way the cyst was located inside the middle of the tibia plateu. Thank you CherylI too have had a ganglion cyst, in fact 2 have been removed from my right wrist over the last 6 years. Recently one was romoved from the "radius" of my arm bone. Now I'm learnng that I have 3 more that are very small for now. They do grow back and I am becoming concerned about this. Dr wants to send me to a rhumitoligst (can't spell it) for treatment, I have no idea what this is. Hopefully this will stop these growths. Now these cysts are inside to bone.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 28, 2009
    • 02:22 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have recently had surgery removing a ganglion cyst from the middle of my tibia. They were unsure of what it was from all the test including a bone biopsy. They watched it for a little over a year. I have been seeing an orthopedic oncologist, The sugery was done and I was told it was a ganglion cyst....I have not been able to find out any information on the web about this type being located in the bone. Has anyone ever heard of this or have any information. I was also told it could grow back again and then I would have to have it removed again. By the way the cyst was located inside the middle of the tibia plateu. Thank you Cheryl Cheryl,I too have had ganglion cysts in my wrist bones. Three have been removed by an orthopedic surgeon and now he tells me I have three more small ones. First surgery was about six years ago. I too am VERY concerned because my left wrist is somewhat sore now, won't have x-rays until the end of the month. Dr. has no information as to why these occur. If anyone has any realistic information I would appreciate hearing from them. Thanks, Tom
    mysorewrist 1 Replies
    • October 1, 2009
    • 01:29 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have recently had surgery removing a ganglion cyst from the middle of my tibia. They were unsure of what it was from all the test including a bone biopsy. They watched it for a little over a year. I have been seeing an orthopedic oncologist, The sugery was done and I was told it was a ganglion cyst....I have not been able to find out any information on the web about this type being located in the bone. Has anyone ever heard of this or have any information. I was also told it could grow back again and then I would have to have it removed again. By the way the cyst was located inside the middle of the tibia plateu. Thank you CherylGanglion cysts form when tissues surrounding certain joints become inflamed and swell up with lubricating fluid. They can increase in size when the tissue is irritated and often can "disappear" spontaneously. These masses or cysts appear to grow sometimes but they are not tumours or cancerous.
    nene790 13 Replies
    • October 1, 2009
    • 05:18 AM
    Flag this Response
  • How do these grow? Like what do you have to do to potientially get it bigger? I have to know for a paper! email me at snowjunkie13@yahoo.comthanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 8, 2009
    • 10:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • How do these grow? Like what do you have to do to potientially get it bigger? I have to know for a paper! email me at snowjunkie13@yahoo.comthanksGanglion cysts arise as outpouchings from fluid filled areas such as the fluid within the small joints of the wrist. Usually, ganglion cysts will cause you no pain and require no treatment. Often, they go away on their own.
    nene790 13 Replies
    • October 9, 2009
    • 03:51 AM
    Flag this Response
  • im 15 and about 2 years ago, one morning i woke up and my wrist was hurting.When i went to the doctor, he said i probably slept bad on it and he gave me a wristbrace. I wore it at night for 2 nights and it got better and the pain went away.A year later, I started getting pains again, and when i bent my wrist forward i couldsee a small bump. I kept wearing the brace, but this time, it didnt do anything.The pain went away, and I totally forgot about it, until recently it started hurtingagain. Now i just realized that there is a bump when i dont even bend my wrist and when i actually do bend my wrist, the bump is even bigger and im scared my hand is ognna detatchfrom the rest of my arm. I also have pain. I am going to see a doctor soon thought, but im really scared cause i don't want to have surgery :/
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 29, 2009
    • 05:18 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have recently had surgery removing a ganglion cyst from the middle of my tibia. They were unsure of what it was from all the test including a bone biopsy. They watched it for a little over a year. I have been seeing an orthopedic oncologist, The sugery was done and I was told it was a ganglion cyst....I have not been able to find out any information on the web about this type being located in the bone. Has anyone ever heard of this or have any information. I was also told it could grow back again and then I would have to have it removed again. By the way the cyst was located inside the middle of the tibia plateu. Thank you CherylI am now 41 and have had knee pain since I was 18. It was always worse when a low pressure weather system hit the west coast ( I am in Utah). Between 1986 and 2007 I had seen 3 orthopedic surgeons and all 3 just took xrays and said they did not see anything and to take anti inflamitories. In June of 2008, the pain was just getting worse and my family doc schedules me an MRI. Come to find out i had a ganglion cyst in my knee. In July of 08 I had my knee scoped to remove the cyst. In March of 2009, the pain came back, had another MRI and found the cyst had come back. I had surgery again in May of 09 and this time the surgeon cut about a 3" incision to get inside and clean it out. After about a month, the incision still did not heal so I had to have surgery again to re stitch the incision. My knee felt good for about 2 months and then started hurting again in November. I had surgery again on November 17th and after healing for a month, my knee was feeling better. about a week before christmas, it started bothering me again. This time it hurts worse than before. I have a lot of pain on the back of my knee (like a bakers cyst) the tendon on the outside of my leg hurts, my calf down to my ankle feels like it goes numb, and all my muscles are now tightening up because I am limping so bad again. I am trying to find me a new orthopedic but I cannot find any information about a re occuring knee cyst. Before I get cut open agian, I want to make sure I have the right diagnosis and make sure this is the last time...Any help would be appreciated..
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 4, 2010
    • 10:23 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same symptoms as you. Intense pain in the back of my left leg that sometimes shoots down to my foot When I am in pain I also developed a golf ball size lump in the back of my knee. It started when I was 17 and bothers me to this day, I am 23. I have had many MRIs and the doctors see an unknown mass and have no idea what it is. I have had one bone byopsy to make sure it was not cancer. I was 19 when that happened. It ruled out cancer... but still no answers. All my orthopedic sugreons are highly notable in the chicago medical district, and in my mind overated. I have never been diagnosed with anything, and Never herd of the term ganglion cyst. It sure sounds like I have one. A few question I have for you (the 41 year old) did u play sports and were u active while you were my age, were you ever on prednisone if so high doeses, and do you have or did you have a deffiecency in calcium? I have UC ulcerrative colitis and was one high doeses of prednisone throught my early youth to 16years of age. My stomach also did not like dairy so my calcium intake was low. I am just curious if any of these aspects are common with our leg problems. Overall it sounds like our knee pain and problems are very similar... hope to hear back from you... maybe we could help eachother some way.I am now 41 and have had knee pain since I was 18. It was always worse when a low pressure weather system hit the west coast ( I am in Utah). Between 1986 and 2007 I had seen 3 orthopedic surgeons and all 3 just took xrays and said they did not see anything and to take anti inflamitories. In June of 2008, the pain was just getting worse and my family doc schedules me an MRI. Come to find out i had a ganglion cyst in my knee. In July of 08 I had my knee scoped to remove the cyst. In March of 2009, the pain came back, had another MRI and found the cyst had come back. I had surgery again in May of 09 and this time the surgeon cut about a 3" incision to get inside and clean it out. After about a month, the incision still did not heal so I had to have surgery again to re stitch the incision. My knee felt good for about 2 months and then started hurting again in November. I had surgery again on November 17th and after healing for a month, my knee was feeling better. about a week before christmas, it started bothering me again. This time it hurts worse than before. I have a lot of pain on the back of my knee (like a bakers cyst) the tendon on the outside of my leg hurts, my calf down to my ankle feels like it goes numb, and all my muscles are now tightening up because I am limping so bad again. I am trying to find me a new orthopedic but I cannot find any information about a re occuring knee cyst. Before I get cut open agian, I want to make sure I have the right diagnosis and make sure this is the last time...Any help would be appreciated..
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 22, 2010
    • 00:56 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have recently had surgery removing a ganglion cyst from the middle of my tibia. They were unsure of what it was from all the test including a bone biopsy. They watched it for a little over a year. I have been seeing an orthopedic oncologist, The sugery was done and I was told it was a ganglion cyst....I have not been able to find out any information on the web about this type being located in the bone. Has anyone ever heard of this or have any information. I was also told it could grow back again and then I would have to have it removed again. By the way the cyst was located inside the middle of the tibia plateu. Thank you CherylTry searching for intraosseous ganglion and tibia. An intraosseous ganglion is located in a bone. Depending on your age, they can be related to wear and tear on the bone (arthritis.)They require further evaluation if found in a younger person. I have one in my posterior lateral tibial plateau. These are very different from the wrist ganglion or common 'book cyst' (not in bone.) Try looking at http://www.ajronline.org/cgi/content/full/178/3/589
  • I have recently had surgery removing a ganglion cyst from the middle of my tibia. They were unsure of what it was from all the test including a bone biopsy. They watched it for a little over a year. I have been seeing an orthopedic oncologist, The sugery was done and I was told it was a ganglion cyst....I have not been able to find out any information on the web about this type being located in the bone. Has anyone ever heard of this or have any information. I was also told it could grow back again and then I would have to have it removed again. By the way the cyst was located inside the middle of the tibia plateu. Thank you Cheryli have had the same thing. i am 15 years old. my cyst grew back twice, once over my tibia, and the other in between my ankle joint and growth plate. it was very painful and eroded away my bone, causing me to need reconstructive surgery as well. i will not grow any taller. and the only information i found was that it may be caused by a tiny microfracture and blood fills in the crack and creates a growth. and that there have been 150 cases in 20 years world wide.-glad to help, Emily
  • I have recently had surgery removing a ganglion cyst from the middle of my tibia. They were unsure of what it was from all the test including a bone biopsy. They watched it for a little over a year. I have been seeing an orthopedic oncologist, The sugery was done and I was told it was a ganglion cyst....I have not been able to find out any information on the web about this type being located in the bone. Has anyone ever heard of this or have any information. I was also told it could grow back again and then I would have to have it removed again. By the way the cyst was located inside the middle of the tibia plateu. Thank you CherylHiI had a similiar type of surgery in 2005, yes mine has grown back, would like to know more about your progress also.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 19, 2010
    • 05:44 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have one in my scaphoid bone as well. They aren't supposed to hurt, but if i lift weights it does. The people who have them return, when they are intraosseous, is because the procedure wasn't performed correctly. If you just had surgery to remove it to biopsy, it will come back. It has to be completely removed. That usually entails cutting back some portion of the ligament from where it is derived from (they find this out through a scintigraphy scan), then the bone has to be scraped out, and a graph of some sort applied in order to fill the hole left. If you didn't have this procedure done, there is a 50/50 chance they will come back. I had my bone scan last friday, I go tomorrow to see if the doc will operate on it. He will do the operation i just mentioned. In otherwords, if they just cut it out, go to another doctor, cause you current one needs to catch up on the literature.
    touchet 5 Replies
    • September 9, 2010
    • 07:31 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Update I had my bone scan done and it showed activity--meaning there is a degenerative and/or healing process going on. They are now referring to it as a "bone cyst" rather than a ganglion. Most likely because ganglions aren't supposed to show such activity on a scan, but what do I know. Doctor wasn't very forth comming about what that activty meant. Anyways, I have my surgery on Oct 5th. They will remove the cyst, clean it out real good, and then take a bone graph from my radius bone and graft it in the hole. I will also have my ulnar nerve released at the same time for a sperate issue I am having in the same hand. Like I said, if your doctor isn't doing this, there is a really good chance the cyst will come back. Its too bad it wasn't done on the first time you had surgery.
    touchet 5 Replies
    • September 15, 2010
    • 05:10 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement