Discussions By Condition: Repiratory conditions

excess mucus/ coughing and wheezing

Posted In: Repiratory conditions 33 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 25, 2008
  • 06:25 AM

I am a 49 year old female. I rarely get ill and have never had problems with any allergies. This started November of 2007. The constant feeling that something is stuck in my throught. It seems to be worse at night causing me to go into coughing fits and lose a lot of sleep. I am able to cough up white and or clear mucus but it is never ending. I often have wheezing as well. It is difficult to tell sometimes if it is coming from just my throught or down in my chest. I have been to 2 doctors (seveal visits each). My family doctor and an ENT. I have takeb decongestants, antihistamines, steriods (pills and shots), nasal sprays and nasal washes. I have had a chest exray and catscan. Out of all of this my ENT tells me it is post nasal drip. I have little to no conjestion in my nose nor do feel any dripping but I always seem to have a lump in my throught. I am miserable and making my family very unhappy as well. I just don't know where to go from here. I am hoping someone has some insight here. Please help!!

Reply Flag this Discussion

33 Replies:

• I had a very bad night earlier this week with no sleep due to my constant coughing. At work the next day I had the same cough but also had a hard time breathing for a while. I took a antihisamine and was able to breath a little easier in about 30 minutes. Saw my family Dr the next day and he is trying Pulmicort and Xopenex (Asthma treatment). First night was great back to coughing by the 3rd day. Going crazy :eek:
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have had the feeling of something stuck in my throat. Mine was caused by anxiety. Once I took Xanax, it stopped. I was under a great deal of stress at the time. But there are other reasons you can get this feeling.I also get post-nasal drip. And I cough and wake up with a lot of mucous which is hard to cough up. I rarely get this and it usually lasts about a month. Using Ocean nasal spray several times a day helps me. Some people use a Neti-pot. This also caused me to feel a lump in my throat.I also have mild asthma. It sent me to the ER twice when it was difficult to breathe and they gave me breathing treatments. Otherwise, I use an inhaler (albuteral).To me it sounds like your ENT is correct. You don't always notice anything dripping down your throat. But it sure causes a lot of problems.You might ask your ENT to try giving you Valium or Xanax to see if the feeling in your throat could be related to stress. If it does stop it, you don't need to take the medication all the time. In the last 10 years, it has only happened to me a few times and doesn't last long. Otherwise, sounds like post-nasal drip. Sorry I could offer anything other advise. Good luck.
    Beth56 272 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am a 49 year old female. I rarely get ill and have never had problems with any allergies. This started November of 2007. The constant feeling that something is stuck in my throught. It seems to be worse at night causing me to go into coughing fits and lose a lot of sleep. I am able to cough up white and or clear mucus but it is never ending. I often have wheezing as well. It is difficult to tell sometimes if it is coming from just my throught or down in my chest. I have been to 2 doctors (seveal visits each). My family doctor and an ENT. I have takeb decongestants, antihistamines, steriods (pills and shots), nasal sprays and nasal washes. I have had a chest exray and catscan. Out of all of this my ENT tells me it is post nasal drip. I have little to no conjestion in my nose nor do feel any dripping but I always seem to have a lump in my throught. I am miserable and making my family very unhappy as well. I just don't know where to go from here. I am hoping someone has some insight here. Please help!!I developed (according to the Doc, Adult onset asthma) and was given Albuterol, then Singulair. After Singulair I had an an allegic reaction and acquired Churg Strauss Syndrome and was in the hospital for 2 months. I too coughed up almost all night clear to white mucous. Please be aware of Pharmaceuticals and Doctors Medications, they do not heal, eventually you will have every side effect known to man and will literally begin the vicious pharmaceutical cycle which does not lead to vibrant health. I too have always been healthy. I was put on Prednisone, Oxycodone, Methotrexate (chemotherapy), Gabapentin and even Valium for the fear caused by th Prednisone, not to mention depression from losing my hair and gaining 25 lbs and acquiring the famous moon face from the Pred. I decided to stop all and go to a Naturopathic Doctor. It was the best move I've ever made. I was told by these Doctors that I would probably die without the meds. My response was and still would be that I would rather feel my real self and have my true spirit if I die. I couldn't bear feeling like a zombie in an empty tunnel with a horrible echo from all the drugs. To make a long story short, I am off all medications, free from asthma, sometimes cough, but less all the time. I had to first find out what was causing the reaction to make my lungs produce mucous (mucous protects the lining in your lungs and the delicate cilia that you so desperately need). If the cilia is destroyed, they won't grow back. I was put on a strict diet (that only the dying would go on and even then, many folks would still rather choke than change their eating habits). I gave up first, all sugar, no dairy products, no soy products (these are common allergens) and stopped using gas as my heat source. I started taking good supplements, especially one product that is a super probiotic with all certified organic vegetables, fruits and legumes as well as began eating only organic vegetables and Quinoa. It was worth all the changes I made. I lost the 25 lbs, now more, I can walk again (without help, no wheelchair, walker or cane) and I am still alive.Drugs will only surpress the symptoms, for a while then you'll need stronger meds, it's one vicious cycle, one it seems that many people seem to be on these days. Good luck to you, I hope you get well and find out why this is happening. You don't need to be a victim, take charge of your life and your health! Probiotics are very important, but be careful as many are useless when they arrive to the shelves as thousands die during transport. If you are interested in a good super probiotic that really has helped me go towww.mycaliforniaorganics.com and look under the testimonials for their In-Liven product. It is amazing!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 28, 2009
    • 09:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had a very bad night earlier this week with no sleep due to my constant coughing. At work the next day I had the same cough but also had a hard time breathing for a while. I took a antihisamine and was able to breath a little easier in about 30 minutes. Saw my family Dr the next day and he is trying Pulmicort and Xopenex (Asthma treatment). First night was great back to coughing by the 3rd day. Going crazy :eek:I also have the same symptons as yourself and have tried all sorts of remedies to no avail. Usually my symptons last for 6/8 weeks and I found that chewing gum helps (please don't laugh) chewing gum produces a lot of saliva which is swallowed and this seems to soothe the throat and stops the coughing. It's worth a try, it deffinitely helped me.Hope you are feeling better.
    catherinedevine 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have had the same problem for months, I'm loosing out on so much sleep and frustrated because my doctor cannot given me a diagnois. I have coughing fits, wheezing, excess phlegm, shortness of breath, my whole body trembles, post nasal drip. The coughing can last all day like today, or for a short time its unpredictable my phlegm is very thick, sticky and clear and can be foamy. When it's foamy is feels like it coming from behind my tonsil in the roof of my mouth and it is a big gush of it that fills my mouth. There is a constant tickling feel in the same spot especially when I take a deep breath that irritates the cough. Sometimes I end up vomiting because I've coughed so much. I feel so miserable, and the doctor is trying to tell me in plain terms I'm a freak, that I'm worried about something. Please Help!
  • I have had the same problem for months, I'm loosing out on so much sleep and frustrated because my doctor cannot given me a diagnois. I have coughing fits, wheezing, excess phlegm, shortness of breath, my whole body trembles, post nasal drip. The coughing can last all day like today, or for a short time its unpredictable my phlegm is very thick, sticky and clear and can be foamy. When it's foamy is feels like it coming from behind my tonsil in the roof of my mouth and it is a big gush of it that fills my mouth. There is a constant tickling feel in the same spot especially when I take a deep breath that irritates the cough. Sometimes I end up vomiting because I've coughed so much. I feel so miserable, and the doctor is trying to tell me in plain terms I'm a freak, that I'm worried about something. Please Help!I am dealing with the same thing - everytime I get a virus the coughing starts and never ends I too have taken all the steroids, etc in haler - I think it is an allergy and will go back to an alllergist. Benadryl works the best.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 18, 2009
    • 01:04 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am dealing with the same thing - everytime I get a virus the coughing starts and never ends I too have taken all the steroids, etc in haler - I think it is an allergy and will go back to an alllergist. Benadryl works the best.I am on a month with the asthmatic bronchitis...I was given a nebulizer to use....on steroids for 15 days, steroid nasal spray, and steroid inhaler. I am "moderately" better...finally, but I still feel like I have a long way to go. I cough up mucus, my cough worsens at night, my ribs ache so bad, my head hurts every day from doing the nebs....I don't get it. I've done everything they've told me to do, and I can't seem to get well. I did 2 rounds of antibiotics, cough syrups, decongestants, mucinex, nasal sprays, inhalers, etc etc etc.....................................................where does it end?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 20, 2010
    • 05:17 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had the same problem for months, I'm loosing out on so much sleep and frustrated because my doctor cannot given me a diagnois. I have coughing fits, wheezing, excess phlegm, shortness of breath, my whole body trembles, post nasal drip. The coughing can last all day like today, or for a short time its unpredictable my phlegm is very thick, sticky and clear and can be foamy. When it's foamy is feels like it coming from behind my tonsil in the roof of my mouth and it is a big gush of it that fills my mouth. There is a constant tickling feel in the same spot especially when I take a deep breath that irritates the cough. Sometimes I end up vomiting because I've coughed so much. I feel so miserable, and the doctor is trying to tell me in plain terms I'm a freak, that I'm worried about something. Please Help!My God I thought I was loosing it...these are my exact same symptoms!! I hope someone comes up with a cure soon my family is getting a raw deal, i'm in such a bad mood sick all of the time!!
  • I am on a month with the asthmatic bronchitis...I was given a nebulizer to use....on steroids for 15 days, steroid nasal spray, and steroid inhaler. I am "moderately" better...finally, but I still feel like I have a long way to go. I cough up mucus, my cough worsens at night, my ribs ache so bad, my head hurts every day from doing the nebs....I don't get it. I've done everything they've told me to do, and I can't seem to get well. I did 2 rounds of antibiotics, cough syrups, decongestants, mucinex, nasal sprays, inhalers, etc etc etc.....................................................where does it end?well ive been told i have bronchitis and have been on the same meds as all of you have doing a lot of research and stuff and ran across articles about molecular silver i ordered it got it a few days ago and started using it in a nebulizer i also went to the dr and got the normal routine of meds that is common, anitbiotic, musenex, inhaler, but i havent filled them yet im interested to see if this stuff works as i said ive been using it in a nebulizer since thursday and i think im seeing a difference well trry it a few more days and see if i still need to have meds filled
  • I am 48 year old female since June 11th, 2010 I have been wheezing & coughing white mucus and having labored breathing. I have been on a nebulizer w/abuterol & liquid steroids, inhalers, disk inhalers and preventive inhalers for a month and nothing has worked at all. I have had Low Grade Fevers and Below Normal Temps, my eye pressure is extremely high. Six months ago I was having left knee pain and I had a Nuclear Test it was positive that I had a bone problem with the Patella but after 7 doctors and going to a major clinic in Ft. Lauderdale no-one can even help me with the patella problem and the thrombing pain at night continues? I cannot sleep the night through and I have tried cough drops, cough syrup, over the counter sinus pills. I have tried it all! My GP commented that coughing & wheezing issues that do not react to Asthma Meds most likley could linked some way to an Autoimmune Disease. I need help! I feel like I am falling and I cannot get up?
  • I have had the same problem for months, I'm loosing out on so much sleep and frustrated because my doctor cannot given me a diagnois. I have coughing fits, wheezing, excess phlegm, shortness of breath, my whole body trembles, post nasal drip. The coughing can last all day like today, or for a short time its unpredictable my phlegm is very thick, sticky and clear and can be foamy. When it's foamy is feels like it coming from behind my tonsil in the roof of my mouth and it is a big gush of it that fills my mouth. There is a constant tickling feel in the same spot especially when I take a deep breath that irritates the cough. Sometimes I end up vomiting because I've coughed so much. I feel so miserable, and the doctor is trying to tell me in plain terms I'm a freak, that I'm worried about something. Please Help!I had the same and like you lost so much sleep and would keep coughing and gagging all day and night, my job as a rceptionist was dificult as every time i would be on the phone i would have to tell the person to hold as i had a chocking and coughing fit.It was horrible and i could not taste food correctly, everything tasted funny ? i kept clearing my throat that contained thick yellowish and sometimes green mucus.My doctor told me it could be hayfever or an alergy..... but i was in my fortys and had never had any alergys before so dismissed the idea and then endured more months of the same.Then one day i decided to try a alergy/hayfever tablet which should last 24 hours and to my belief the symptoms stopped...no more coughing and chocking and i could sleep without that feeling of a tickle in my throat and the mucus had gone.I can taste my food again now also and do not have the mucus that made me feel so sick.I would try some allergy tabs and see if that stops yours as it is is worth a try.Good look x
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I had the exact same symptoms. Coughing fits, wheezing, some difficulty breathing (much more pronounced at night) and have recently started waking with a lot of phlegm in my mouth/throat. I already know that I have chronic bronchitis AND bronchitis-induced asthma but what I found out recently may help a lot of you! I am a rather sickly person, who takes naps quite often. These symptoms were not so bad when I would take a nap. But when my husband would join me for bed, especially after just taking a shower, I woud always start wheezing immediately and sometimes start a full-blown asthma attack! It was his deodorant, come to find out, that was absolutely causing it! So, ladies, be careful, and men, try switching it up! See if that helps! I suppose it could be a woman's deodorant making this happen as well!
  • I was diagnoised with pneumonia in May. They tried 3 different kinds of antiboticits and nothing helped. I was a smoker and they kepy telling me I needed to quit. Finally 5 weeks ago I quit.....nothing has gotten better and may even have gotten worse. I have such a glob stuck in my throat all the time. I have been to the ENT who told me nothing was wrong and put me on GERD medication. My family doc keeps putting me on asthma inhalers and the lung doctor keeps taking me off of them. I had a bronchscopy on Friday and he told me they found alot of muscus and some muscus plugs and did a wash and that should help. Here it is now Monday and I have exactly the same thing happening. It makes me feel as if I can not breathe and that horrible clearing of the throat has got to quit. I am driving me and everyone around me crazy.
  • I was diagnoised with pneumonia in May. They tried 3 different kinds of antiboticits and nothing helped. I was a smoker and they kepy telling me I needed to quit. Finally 5 weeks ago I quit.....nothing has gotten better and may even have gotten worse. I have such a glob stuck in my throat all the time. I have been to the ENT who told me nothing was wrong and put me on GERD medication. My family doc keeps putting me on asthma inhalers and the lung doctor keeps taking me off of them. I had a bronchscopy on Friday and he told me they found alot of muscus and some muscus plugs and did a wash and that should help. Here it is now Monday and I have exactly the same thing happening. It makes me feel as if I can not breathe and that horrible clearing of the throat has got to quit. I am driving me and everyone around me crazy.I am having simlilar symptoms minus the pnuemonia diagnosis. About 8 months ago my problems started with sinus congestion which led to severe sinus headaches then finally sinus infection. I went to the doc and got a shot/anti-biotics/decongestants..the works. I never really got over the sinus problems. I feel like I also have something stuck in my throat all the time, neverending mucus. Antihistamines help slightly. Again I went to see another doctor for breathing problems and fear of lung infection. The doc performed x-rays, sputum sample and prescibed another round of antibiotics. The sputum sample came back negative for bacteria. I have noticed new food allergens such as milk, gravy, and even beer bother my throat and lungs. I sometime wake up at night short of breath and have to rub vicks vapor rub on my chest to breath and go back to sleep. I do not have a fever, rash, or anything like that..I guess a virus would be ruled out. Could I have pnuemonia without having a fever? I dont know what is wrong and I am tired of spitting fluid up all day long. Please help me and all others like me out with a response..Thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 27, 2010
    • 10:41 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My Grandma has had times of times of coughing and problems with mucus (like yours, not like a respiratory illness, i.e. thick yellow, etc.) that were really bothering her over the past 4 years, she first ignored it, b/c she's not one for Drs. but it was REALLY bothersome, and her daughters wanted to help so they tried several physicians, but could find nothing wrong (justifying my grandma's non-belief in Drs. in general). Fast forward to the present, my mom finally gets her to go to a specialist (I think and ENT Dr.) who discovers she's has GERD and has the most inflamed esophagus he's ever seen. He said "she must have been complaining of heartburn for years" but, strangely she never has. She is more one to suffer and "swallow her pain and disappointments" than to complain. So, the GERD led to esophageal ulcers, which were not treated, and led to esophageal cancer. She did the barium swallow and has had three upper endoscopies (they may have sent her to a Gastroenterologist for these procedures, I don't know if ENTs do them). They took a biopsy of a tumor in her esophagus during the first endoscopy (which led to the cancer diagnosis) and tried to remove it the 2nd time. Couldn't get all of it, but as she is a bad candidate for actual surgery due to weak health, the Dr. tried a 3rd time, but could not get all of it as it is so deeply embedded in her esophageal tissue and he doesn't want to perforate her esophagus. She is seeing an oncologist now, but I don't know if she will be able to recover from this. Just prior to being to the ENT my mom took her to a pulmonary specialist (as some mucus problems, esp. those that worsen at night can be related to some heart problems). She was diagnosed with a heart valve defect, which was causing her to be very fatigued, and she had so little color and energy she looked like the walking dead. She is now on medication for this (bloodthinners I believe) and has some color and looks better. She is also on reflux medication (I'm not sure which) and she does look better. She is however too weak for a heart valve replacement surgery or proper esophageal surgery to remove her tumor. I'm not sure what the oncologist determined, I will have to ask my mother. I don't know what options she was given, but honestly, it does not look good for her, and she is in her 80s. I am so glad that we have found out what was causing her problems, but I so wish we could have found out sooner. The mucus was a symptom of the ulcerated esophagus. Her body was desperately trying to protect the lining of her esophagus with extra mucus. Please anyone who is having this problem, consider seeing an ENT, get a barium swallow, upper endoscopy, etc. Or even a gastroenterologist and get and upper GI investigation (esophagus and stomach, etc.).
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 6, 2010
    • 05:20 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hashimoto's Disease or Pulmonary Fibrosis also known as IDF.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 26, 2011
    • 04:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had the same problem last year in January. It started as a normal cough and a tingle in my throat. I ignored it. Then I was coughing up mucous, and my breathing got worse. Well one day in school it just hit me like a ton of bricks. I could barely breath, I thought I was having a asthma attack. I even had upper back pains. I had to excuse myself to leave early. I found out I had a small case of pneumonia. I found out it was caused by a build up of mucous in my lungs. They gave me antibiotics which seem to work and made me better. A week and a half later after completing the medicine, the symptoms returned. My BF told me to go back to the doctors. I said "For what they obviously can't do anything for me. Now I am in to herbs and natural medicine. Knowing what I know, I decided to take a detox tea; Yogi detox tea; and a Beta Glucan herbal capsule. This worked in a matter of two days. Even though I felt better in two days I completed all of the tea bags, and herbal capsules. I had no more symptoms after that, and felt wonderful.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 7, 2011
    • 09:30 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have symptoms similar to most of yours who posted on this thread. My wheezing, post nasal drip and SOB have increased a lot during this past week. Where I live in Florida the weather is spring like now. During the spring the most common cause of allergies is oak pollen but other trees are pollenating now as well. In my case I think the oak and pine pollen is what is making my symptoms worse than usual. I am trying to find a combination of drugs which will help me to have less symptoms. Here's what I have learned so far. There is puffy tissue on each side of the back of my throat which I assume to be where the sinuses drain into the throat. When these areas are swollen I feel like I have a lump in my throat and my wheezing gets much worse. Using a neti pot helps to drain my sinuses, to decrease the swelling in this area and to decrease my wheezing. After using the neti pot I use plain saline in my nebulizer machine for about 10 puffs which helps to liquify any thick mucous so I can cough it up more easily. The neti pot and saline help but are not a cure for the problem which is most likely allergies. So far I have not found an antihistamine which works well for me. I am still trying to find the right drug which will decrease mucous production without drying the mucous out so much that it becomes too thick to cough up therby increasing the swelling in the back of my throat. Today I am going to try Zyrtec D to see if this helps me more than Claritan, pseudophed, benadryl or actifed. All of these drugs decreased my mucous production but they made my wheezing worse. Prednisone helps my wheezing but is only a temporary partial solution since long term oral steroid use has many bad side effects. I use albuterol and atrovent in my nebulizer and this helps decrease my wheezing and secretions. A Symbicort inhaler which has long acting bronchiodialators and inhaled steroids is on it's way in the mail so hopefully this might help as well. In summary I think most likely the problems for nearly everyone on this thread are allergy related and it will take a combination of many drugs to help decrease your symptoms. If your allergies are seasonal, trees are most likely to cause problems in the spring, grasses in the summer and weeds in the fall. You may also have indoor allergies such as to dust, mold or pet dander. Some foods, especially processed foods with sulfites could be your problem as well. Play detective and try to figure out what may be causing your allergies and excessive mucous production. If your problems worsen at night perhaps your bedroom needs a major cleaning and get rid of the carpet if possible. If your matress is old maybe bed bugs are causing you problems. Cover your matress in plastic or buy a new one. As far as drugs go try everything you can buy without a prescrption which might help such as antihistamines, decongestants, saline and allergy nasal sprays, etc. Work with your doctor to help you find prescription drugs which might help. Do not expect a cure but be proactive to find anything which might help to decrease your symptoms and to make your breathing easier.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 23, 2011
    • 03:11 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had the exact same symptoms. Coughing fits, wheezing, some difficulty breathing (much more pronounced at night) and have recently started waking with a lot of phlegm in my mouth/throat. I already know that I have chronic bronchitis AND bronchitis-induced asthma but what I found out recently may help a lot of you! I am a rather sickly person, who takes naps quite often. These symptoms were not so bad when I would take a nap. But when my husband would join me for bed, especially after just taking a shower, I woud always start wheezing immediately and sometimes start a full-blown asthma attack! It was his deodorant, come to find out, that was absolutely causing it! So, ladies, be careful, and men, try switching it up! See if that helps! I suppose it could be a woman's deodorant making this happen as well!I have had the same problem with excess phlem as did my Mom. We found out that it was associated with acid reflux or GERD. The constant lump in your throat was a tell tale sign. I hope this info helps anyone!
  • well ive been told i have bronchitis and have been on the same meds as all of you have doing a lot of research and stuff and ran across articles about molecular silver i ordered it got it a few days ago and started using it in a nebulizer i also went to the dr and got the normal routine of meds that is common, anitbiotic, musenex, inhaler, but i havent filled them yet im interested to see if this stuff works as i said ive been using it in a nebulizer since thursday and i think im seeing a difference well trry it a few more days and see if i still need to have meds filledWell what were your results?
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement