Discussions By Condition: Gastrointestinal conditions

Pain in Buttocks, hurts to sit, lie down and use the bathroom

Posted In: Gastrointestinal conditions 6 Replies
  • Posted By: welshgirl
  • March 24, 2008
  • 10:53 PM

I've posted here before and have been sick for months now. I've had countless of blood tests, Ultascan (showed up a problem in Liver) and then had an MRI, which was clear. Now I am suffering from a painful left buttock, hurts to sit/lie down. It can also hurt to break wind and use the bathroom. What can cause this?!? Any help would be grateful, thanks

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• Hi Welshgirl, I see you are a junior member so I hope this helps:When I was about 13 I started having horrible pain when I sat on the toilet or got up and down from a seat. It was to the point that I didn't want to move but just sit forever! It hurt in the buttock are and the spine. It felt more like it was the bones/nerves and not skin. I never got an answer from the dr as to what it might be but now that I am older I think either I injured my tailbone somehow (extremely painful) or possibly bruised something. Have you had an xray or mri done? Did you possibly get injured in sports or something? I would check this out because it really sounds like what I had and it went away after a few months. I know this is not what you want to hear but back then (25yrs ago) there wasn't the technology there is today so my parents probably didn't do much. Another possibility if you're a teenager is believe it or not growing pains. Your bones are still growing and it can be painful. I had a lot of pain in my legs for years and that's what the dr told me. Or possibly sciatica? It's a pinched nerve and I've had it. It's excruciation. Please post again to let me know how you are doing!
    tarmale 13 Replies Flag this Response
  • Sorry, I thought junior member meant that you were younger but I see that I am one as well so scratch the 13 yr old part of my story.
    tarmale 13 Replies Flag this Response
  • I've had an MRI and nothing was shown up. Like you, it's my buttocks and hips that are hurting. I am 27 years old and just going through some pains right now. I am seeing my doctor sometime this week and I will ask about what is causing this pain.
    welshgirl 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Spinal problems can cause this type of pain such as sciatica. I would suggest a back x-ray to start.
    Beth56 272 Replies Flag this Response
  • sometimes when it hurts to sit someone has pudendal nerve entrapment. google "pudendal nerve entrapment" and you'll find sites that explain it. It is awful, I had it, but had surgery in France with Dr. Bautrant (an expert) and am getting better, after 6 years of painful sitting. If you feel better when sitting on a toilet seat, if you feel better when not sitting, if intercourse is painful (or related things), if having a bowel movement irritates your pain... you may have it or have at least muscle spasms causing a similar thing.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 21, 2009
    • 08:58 AM
    Flag this Response
  • you may want to google "pudendal nerve entrapment" this causes painful sitting, painful intercourse, relief when standing or sitting on a donut cushion or toilet seat (some relief)there's a surgery I had for it in france by Dr. Bautrant that was very helpful.It's very unknown but very real. I hope someone who's suffering finds this and finds a way out.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 21, 2009
    • 09:03 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement