Discussions By Condition: Hip conditions

What could be causing my hip to be so sore?

Posted In: Hip conditions 39 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 24, 2008
  • 08:45 PM

I am a 24 year old female and my right hip has been sore for the past 2 1/2 months for no obvious reason. It started off being sore like I had slept on it wrong or fell on it or something. Now, almost 3 months later, it still feels sore. At night, it is very uncomfortable to sleep on that side. After sitting for long periods of time, after standing up, the first few steps I take hurts. The pain isnt unbearable at all, but at this point, it is VERY annoying and has got me worrying about what it could be. I had my gallbladder removed in Dec. due to gallstones and I am wondering if my hip pain could be possibly related to that? For the most part, it doesnt hurt ALL the time, but only when I rotate my body a certain way or step/walk in a certain way. My lower back also hurts - when I move my core a certain way, both my lower back and hip hurt. Every now and then I can feel an almost unnoticeable popping in my hip-area, but hardly noticeable. I have been doing research on the internet and am HORRIFIED that it could have arthritis or bone cancer or something of that sort. I am overweight, so I know anything is possible. I have a 2 year old daughter who is the world to me and am so afraid that something is VERY wrong and that I wont be able to care for her or live to see her children grow up. This has got me very concerned. I am going to see my Doctor in a few days, but I just cant stop thinking about it. Is it possible my back is out? Could that really cause my hip to hurt like this? Has anyone experienced something similiar? What can I expect my Doctor to ask or to do to diagnose me? PLEASE HELP!!

Reply Flag this Discussion

39 Replies:

• You are describing what sound like the exact symptoms I started to have about a year ago. I was 33 at the time and healthy, active etc. The annoying hip pain got worse and I finally went to the doctor. I also had lower back pain by this point and like you couldn't sleep well etc.They sent me for blood tests and immediately saw that my CRP was high and the inflammation markers suggested a severe infection.After ultra-sound and x-rays I had a CT scan and this found an abscess in my chest, and I had to go and have this drained. The sample produced two separate infections, staphyloccocus aureus and acenetobacter. I had an MRI scan and found that the infections were bedded in two vertebrae in my spine, and osteomyelitis was finally diagnosed. My symtoms have subsided now three months since the operation, although I get the odd twinge in both hips now, and I am still on anti-biotics. My blood results two days ago finally show the white cells and CRP at normal levels.Of course I can't say this is what you may have, and I do hope it isn't, but I would urge you to get blood test urgently and ask them to check your CRP and ESR. The sooner you can identify any infection the sooner you can fight it. I hope you have found this helpful, I wish I'd had access to the internet when i first had my symptoms! Good luck with getting the help you need, don't leave it any longer, your body is telling you something!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • HiI am astounded to read your comment. I am 35 with exactly the same thing - quite literally. I have actually had it for about 5+ years though - and it has progressively become worse - to a point now it hurts when I pretty much stand up from sitting position, get out of the car, out of a chair, turn at the kitchen bench to do something...and wham! It does this big 'spasm' type thing and I look like I've just been hit by a baseball bat - but after a few 'hops' I am ok. It pops in and out when i try situps etc. I am not overweight, so i can't see weight is a problem. I have had 7 years of surgery in my abdomen (hysterectomy's etc) and two ceasers wtih my two children. My knees are also sore - and I can barely stand after bending down to do shoelaces etc. God help me if I have my leg under me sitting on the couch. I too have lower back pain - but couldn't describe it as horrific at all - just aches. I am off for an xray this afternoon - as after all these years I've had enough of the 'looking like a limp baboon' every time i turn. I was doing some research to actually see what else I should be looking at - and now have seen the suggestion to ahve the CRP and ESR testing. Not that I'm trying to be the doctor - I just don't want to be shoved off to a physiotherapist to do massage when something else may be going on. I also have Von Willebrand's Disease (blood disorder where I can bleed internally) so I am a bit staggered as to where to start. I'd love to know how you go!Gerra
  • Hi AgainJust thought I'd let you know my xray showed acetubular shallow hip joints especially on my right side (sore side). So... goodness knows what all that means though off to an Ortho next week. Will let you know. I do wonder if anyone else has had the same???
    gerrawalker 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Somewhat the same problem- when I sit for long periods in a car, at a desk etc. my hips- not my back is in pain- not alot- just feels like Ive exercised a bunch and like sore muscle joints in my hips- sometimes my knees, once I take a few steps Im fine!?!??! Bothers me when I sleep too, laying on one side or the other- my husband is unemployed and we have no insurance but its been going on for quite a while, its bearable because once I get moving Im fine, just annoying! - any ideas???
  • I am 32 years old, healthy, and having the same symptoms except not my back. I am in physical therapy and it is helping, but not making it go away. The pain is worse somedays than others, doesn't hurt much when I exercise, but when I rest then get up I limp. Long car rides are very painful. Like the other posts I take a few steps and then the pain gets better. I just went back to the doctor and they ordered blood work and MRI. I have had 3 surgeries on my abdomen...2 c-sections and 1 uterous eblasion. I didn't think the two could be related, but after reading the other posts, I am wondering. Thank you for posting this issue as it is hard to explain and when I research the internet I come up with cancer, MS, and many other scary things. I will post what results I get.
  • Just found this page and my god you are describing just what I am going through at the moment. I have had two total knee replacements (1 in Feb this year), but since last September have had this excrutiating pain in my groin after standing from a sitting posiion, but when I have walked (hobbled) a few steps it eases. Went to see my Consultant on Thursday, and after having two xrays from different angles on my hip, he sat scratching his head, he mumbled about an MRI scan, then asked my age dismissed that thought and then decided I should have a cortisone injection in the near future. I really am fed up, and haven't been able to take advantage of my new knees, which have been very successful. I am coming up 54 years old. Makes me feel better reading about other people experiencing the same thing, beginging to feel I was imagining it!!
  • I am a 24 year old female and my right hip has been sore for the past 2 1/2 months for no obvious reason. It started off being sore like I had slept on it wrong or fell on it or something. Now, almost 3 months later, it still feels sore. At night, it is very uncomfortable to sleep on that side. After sitting for long periods of time, after standing up, the first few steps I take hurts. The pain isnt unbearable at all, but at this point, it is VERY annoying and has got me worrying about what it could be. I had my gallbladder removed in Dec. due to gallstones and I am wondering if my hip pain could be possibly related to that? For the most part, it doesnt hurt ALL the time, but only when I rotate my body a certain way or step/walk in a certain way. My lower back also hurts - when I move my core a certain way, both my lower back and hip hurt. Every now and then I can feel an almost unnoticeable popping in my hip-area, but hardly noticeable. I have been doing research on the internet and am HORRIFIED that it could have arthritis or bone cancer or something of that sort. I am overweight, so I know anything is possible. I have a 2 year old daughter who is the world to me and am so afraid that something is VERY wrong and that I wont be able to care for her or live to see her children grow up. This has got me very concerned. I am going to see my Doctor in a few days, but I just cant stop thinking about it. Is it possible my back is out? Could that really cause my hip to hurt like this? Has anyone experienced something similiar? What can I expect my Doctor to ask or to do to diagnose me? PLEASE HELP!! It sounds ver much like Hip Bursitis to me. If it is hip bursitis, you can have steroid injections that can help a lot.
    RubyRainfall 6 Replies Flag this Response
  • It sounds ver much like Hip Bursitis to me. If it is hip bursitis, you can have steroid injections that can help a lot.My hips hurt in the leg joint its been a long time I have gone to every Dr I can think of . I've have had about 20 injections and radio frequency . still no relief I feel desperate. I dont think Ive slept thru the night in over 10 years cause of this . I don't know where else to turn .
  • It sounds ver much like Hip Bursitis to me. If it is hip bursitis, you can have steroid injections that can help a lot.I also had hip pain/soreness and I thought it was joint pain, and so did the Dr. We were so wrong, I went for my annual gyn, it was a cyst!! it was treated by birth control. Crazy but True... No mre pain or soreness...
  • Hip Fai could be a possibility. I have the same hip pain and lower back pain. Im 29 and fit and healthy and active. I am waiting for my Xray results, but probably need to get an MRI. My sister has Hip FAI, so they are thinking I have the same thing. Check out: www.hipfai.comHope that helps.
  • Somewhat the same problem- when I sit for long periods in a car, at a desk etc. my hips- not my back is in pain- not alot- just feels like Ive exercised a bunch and like sore muscle joints in my hips- sometimes my knees, once I take a few steps Im fine!?!??! Bothers me when I sleep too, laying on one side or the other- my husband is unemployed and we have no insurance but its been going on for quite a while, its bearable because once I get moving Im fine, just annoying! - any ideas???Add me to the list. I have been having hip pain that feels much like muscle pain, not in my actual hip bones, kind of like lower back pain, but on the sides. If I wear heels, that really hurts after a couple of hours. It's strange because I can be out dancing the night before, but I will pay for it the next day. I feel immobilized and in massive pain. And like like everyone else, getting up from a sitting position. Even after lying down. I have never felt anything like it in my life. This has been going on for the past 3.5 months. I bought a treadmill and am planning to see if that strengthens the area and helps. I am thinking this could be from lack of excercise.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 14, 2010
    • 11:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Add me to the list. I have been having hip pain that feels much like muscle pain, not in my actual hip bones, kind of like lower back pain, but on the sides. If I wear heels, that really hurts after a couple of hours. It's strange because I can be out dancing the night before, but I will pay for it the next day. I feel immobilized and in massive pain. And like like everyone else, getting up from a sitting position. Even after lying down. I have never felt anything like it in my life. This has been going on for the past 3.5 months. I bought a treadmill and am planning to see if that strengthens the area and helps. I am thinking this could be from lack of excercise.You people are crazy! Just go to a chriopractor. I can't beleive you are putting up with this for months, when it could be all you need is a good yank on your leg.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 29, 2010
    • 07:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • As I young girl, I had that hip popping thing on my left side. As a young mother I got influenza which made my hips so painful I thought I would die. They hurt when lying down, especially my left hip. If I could have slept standing up, believe me, I would have. I am now middle age. Recently my hips are once again hurting at night enough to keep me awake. The pain often radiates to the top of my knee but sometimes goes all the way down to my ankle. The aching pain is inside my hip muscles close to the bone but feels more like it is closer to the skin surface above my knee and near my ankles. I cannot lay on my side because of the pain. Raising my left knee nearly to my nose helps a bit. Knee pillows no longer help. I'm going to the Dr's this Friday.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 7, 2010
    • 02:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i am 21 and i have been experiencing the same symptoms on my right hip. went to the doctor they could not tell me wha it was and refered me to a physiotheripist i just think he is going to say and in the overweight side but i wasn't when the pain started. i am fine on it streching but not if i put pressure on my right hip. sore when i sit for a period of time and i either can lie on it in bed. and its sore in the morning, i dont know what it it but it is getting more sore as days go on . anyone that can help me ?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 9, 2011
    • 09:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I started getting a sore hip several years ago (I'm 58 now). It started as an annoying pain that seemed to come up whenever I drove somewhere in the car (even a 15 minute trip). Then it got bad enough for me to have to start taking pain medication to get to sleep. Eventually it got so bad that I couldn't walk without a severe limp. I was afraid that I might need a hip replacement, like some of my older relatives. I started doing stretching exercises, which were extremely painful. I also had a “popping” sensation during certain motions. But I persevered with the stretching. Eventually the pain went completely away. Now, whenever the pain starts back again, I concentrate on stretching and hip flexing until it’s gone again. Stretching or yoga would be a good thing to continue on a regular basis, if I could just get serious enough about it. I spend a lot of time on the computer. But now, I sit on an exercise ball instead of a chair. It helps a lot because I can keep moving around and my hip doesn’t get sore from sitting too long.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 14, 2011
    • 05:28 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I also had hip pain/soreness and I thought it was joint pain, and so did the Dr. We were so wrong, I went for my annual gyn, it was a cyst!! it was treated by birth control. Crazy but True... No mre pain or soreness...I just found this page. I am a 53 year old female with the same symptoms you all are describing. It started several years ago. Gradually. I do a lot of driving for my work and after a 30 min + trip I would get out of the care with very sore stiff hip joints. After a few steps I was fine. I mentioned this to my Dr. and she informed me most women have this from time to time. It gradually got worse over the years until my hips were hurting almost all of the time. I had steroid injections in both hips with helped tremendously. Then after awhile the pain came back only this time I couldn't lay on either side at night to sleep. Pain was going down my legs from my hip joints. I couldn't hardly walk and limped most of the time. I just went back for my second set of steroid injections into the hip joints Thursday. I felt great all day Friday. I woke up Sat. with my left hip, (which was always my worst), sore again. Not as much as before. I drove for 3 hours to go to my Granddaughter's 3rd Birthday party, I carried her and jumped her up and down, and climbed lot's of steps Friday eve. I wonder if I undone the steroid injections or if they will continue to work. Looking for advice. Please help.
  • Donna, I have same problem, but I know I have degenorative disc disease. So I have the lower back pain. I went to the local health clinc and the doctor said he has no idea what it could be other than athritis. My hip hurts only after sitting or layinmg down either side I lay on and I can't take a step until I have tried to put weight on my right side a few times then its ok. I have no Ins. been looking for work but so many jobs I can't do because I can't lift anything because of my back. I have no typing skills so I have had a real hard time getting a job to support myself. I don't even know what type of Doctor I would see for this anyway. HELP.
  • I'm 18 and both side of my hips hurt really bad to the point where I need to get up and walk aroun. The pain shoots down to my knees, but I have no back pain. The pain hurts when I walk, stand, sit for a certain amount of time, or laying on my sides or on my back. I just don't know what to do, this has been going on for almost 8 years now.
  • It's a little late to be posting since its been a few years, but this sounds like you have hip dysplasia! No joke. Those are my exact symptoms and it comes on in your 20s and 30s. I would go see an orthopedic surgeon that specializes in hips and have him/her look into it!I am a 24 year old female and my right hip has been sore for the past 2 1/2 months for no obvious reason. It started off being sore like I had slept on it wrong or fell on it or something. Now, almost 3 months later, it still feels sore. At night, it is very uncomfortable to sleep on that side. After sitting for long periods of time, after standing up, the first few steps I take hurts. The pain isnt unbearable at all, but at this point, it is VERY annoying and has got me worrying about what it could be. I had my gallbladder removed in Dec. due to gallstones and I am wondering if my hip pain could be possibly related to that? For the most part, it doesnt hurt ALL the time, but only when I rotate my body a certain way or step/walk in a certain way. My lower back also hurts - when I move my core a certain way, both my lower back and hip hurt. Every now and then I can feel an almost unnoticeable popping in my hip-area, but hardly noticeable. I have been doing research on the internet and am HORRIFIED that it could have arthritis or bone cancer or something of that sort. I am overweight, so I know anything is possible. I have a 2 year old daughter who is the world to me and am so afraid that something is VERY wrong and that I wont be able to care for her or live to see her children grow up. This has got me very concerned. I am going to see my Doctor in a few days, but I just cant stop thinking about it. Is it possible my back is out? Could that really cause my hip to hurt like this? Has anyone experienced something similiar? What can I expect my Doctor to ask or to do to diagnose me? PLEASE HELP!!
  • Glad I took the time to research. I will be 43 in Dec 2011. I have had soar hip almost 6 months now. Previously both hips. Went to chiropractor every month and it helps to reduce the bearable pain but it never go away. Now the bad pain is on the left only. Many said it is due to I sit too long in the office. Of course all this pain relates to my lower back too. I have no surgery or whatsoever nor I am overweight. Not married and no children. I will have my blood & urine test to be sure no infection. I am not sexually active at all. I for once thought of cyst or infection before reading this forum. Thank you ever so much!
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement