Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

strange circular brown marks on thighs/arms

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 14 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 23, 2008
  • 09:03 PM

Hi,
Can anyone help with an explanation/name for circular brown/red marks on thighs/arms? I think its something to do with circulation, but can't find any info on it! The marks on my arms started while excersing, they're quiet large circles on my forearms. Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks,
Slick.

Reply Flag this Discussion

14 Replies:

• Been around any bats? Deer? Gophers? Been up to Canada or down to Mexico? Eaten any garlic? Drank any water? Drank too much anything? Hi,Can anyone help with an explanation/name for circular brown/red marks on thighs/arms? I think its something to do with circulation, but can't find any info on it! The marks on my arms started while excersing, they're quiet large circles on my forearms. Any thoughts appreciated.Thanks,Slick.
    TaylorDeelwithit 382 Replies Flag this Response
  • Have you googled pictures of ringworm or cafe au lait spots? The latter are indicative of adrenal dysfunction - I have some small ones in my groin. Had a look a ringworm and cafe au lait, its neither of them. The marks are like rings ovalish and they all join up, (but the centres are normal). They're like the marks you get from sitting to close to a fire? Do you know if there's any circulation disorder that causes this? (I was told in the past that the one's on my leg are from poor circulation).Thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Had a look a ringworm and cafe au lait, its neither of them. The marks are like rings ovalish and they all join up, (but the centres are normal). They're like the marks you get from sitting to close to a fire? Do you know if there's any circulation disorder that causes this? (I was told in the past that the one's on my leg are from poor circulation).ThanksSurely it would make sense to go to the doctors & let them see it ! just a thought !:)
    Tootsie 628 Replies Flag this Response
  • have you got any other symptoms at all? or just those marks?
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies Flag this Response
  • dont panic at all about my following suggestion as the following is very rare but can cause marks like you describe due to the mast cells building up in skin. Mastocytosis symptoms can be triggered by exercise. One can get many marks with it.. or one can just have a couple of individual spots. The marks can be little ones or big single ones. They can spread and merge. Anyway.. there is a picture of someone with the marks im taking about on http://www.aafp.org/afp/990600ap/3047.html If you are concerned about this.. get a biopsy for urticaria pigmentosa (mastocytosis) done on one of the marks.
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies Flag this Response
  • dont panic at all about my following suggestion as the following is very rare but can cause marks like you describe due to the mast cells building up in skin. Mastocytosis symptoms can be triggered by exercise. One can get many marks with it.. or one can just have a couple of individual spots. The marks can be little ones or big single ones. They can spread and merge. Anyway.. there is a picture of someone with the marks im taking about on http://www.aafp.org/afp/990600ap/3047.html If you are concerned about this.. get a biopsy for urticaria pigmentosa (mastocytosis) done on one of the marks. Thanks, for the input, but nothing like that. I'll try and describe it better. There about the size of a Golf Ball with a brown ring (sometimes red)(approx. 1cm) drawn around it. There always on my thigh (inside) and always come up on my inner forearms while exercising very prominantly. I'm pretty sure it's to do with poor circulation, but would rather not go to a Doctor if its not serious. I'd like to research it myself first but can't find anything on the net, yet. If you can think of any other words for patches or rings that would also be appreciated......:)
  • I have this same symptom. I have two flat laterals round light brownish patches on my inner forearms and two of the same on my inner thighs. They are sensitive to sunlight but other than that no pain/or itchiness. I have had these for many years now without any diagnosis. They started out about the size of a dime and are now about 3" in size. I went to the doctor who originally thought ringworm, but it was not. I went to a dermatologist who had never seen anything like this before. I may go back to the dermatologist for a biopsy, but just have not gotten around to it. I would love to know what the cause of this is.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 8, 2009
    • 05:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I don't know if your markings are similar, but my son developed two marks on his chest that have been puzzling me. They are on each side of his chest above his nipples. perfect round brown circles, really faint. They have a normal skin tone center, just rings about 1/2 in thick, size of a quarter dollar, maybe slightly bigger. So bizarre.
  • I have this same symptom. I have two flat laterals round light brownish patches on my inner forearms and two of the same on my inner thighs. They are sensitive to sunlight but other than that no pain/or itchiness. I have had these for many years now without any diagnosis. They started out about the size of a dime and are now about 3" in size. I went to the doctor who originally thought ringworm, but it was not. I went to a dermatologist who had never seen anything like this before. I may go back to the dermatologist for a biopsy, but just have not gotten around to it. I would love to know what the cause of this is.I started out with one on the underside of my left inner arm just below my armpit and one on the inner part of my right thigh just above the knee. Now I have 3 more on my left arm and a small one starting on the inside of the right arm above the elbow. I work in healthcare and don't think they are ringworm either since I was treating them as such and nothing helped. Not exercise related and the first one had been there for about 2 months before the others started just in the last few weeks. Viral, perhaps?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 29, 2010
    • 04:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Surely it would make sense to go to the doctors & let them see it ! just a thought !:)I have the same thing I think by the way you are describing it!All of a sudden theese purplish round marks appeared on the back of both thighs.Its a bundle kinda in a honey comb form not itching or any symtoms but just strange! I also thought they looked like i was standing tooo close to a fire. It looks just like that I cant find any pictures anywhere that look he way mine do. Im gonna go to the doctor to get them looked at; just thought i would share my story too! Fancy
  • I myself have noticed this brown mark on my left side under arm very strange. I myself have had surgery on my hands a month ago with swelling still in my fingers and seen this mark wonder does it have anything to do with the swelling and poor circulation
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have the same thing. Started out as dime size now the size of a golf ball. no pain. no itching and a raised edge around it but very slight. The center of it is normal colored. If you find anything out lemme know. I doubt its serious but you can never tell these days.
  • have a look at the symptoms of lupus. I think Discoid lupus is similar to the rash you are discribing, and can vary greatly in colour, and can be circles with borders. They can be raised and are often sensitive to sunlight. Lupus has so many symptoms and it is often quite a vague condition until it gets serious, and is surprising common, especially in women.
  • I have this same symptom. I have two flat laterals round light brownish patches on my inner forearms and two of the same on my inner thighs. They are sensitive to sunlight but other than that no pain/or itchiness. I have had these for many years now without any diagnosis. They started out about the size of a dime and are now about 3" in size. I went to the doctor who originally thought ringworm, but it was not. I went to a dermatologist who had never seen anything like this before. I may go back to the dermatologist for a biopsy, but just have not gotten around to it. I would love to know what the cause of this is.Hey, I have exactly the same thing, in the same spots. I have been applying various ringworm treatment with no effect. Just had a fungus culture taken to see if they can identify the culprit.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 29, 2010
    • 05:58 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement