Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Sudden Loss of Hearing!

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 7 Replies
  • Posted By: ziggystardust
  • March 22, 2008
  • 11:07 PM

3 weeks ago I suddenly lost all hearing in my right ear. Right before that I had a 4 day headache that didn't respond to meds. Has this ever happened to you? I now have ringing in that ear and the hearing did not come back. I had an MRI Friday but don't have results yet. Any ideas?

Reply Flag this Discussion

7 Replies:

• They gave you an MRI for tinnitis.... do you live in Canada? 3 weeks ago I suddenly lost all hearing in my right ear. Right before that I had a 4 day headache that didn't respond to meds. Has this ever happened to you? I now have ringing in that ear and the hearing did not come back. I had an MRI Friday but don't have results yet. Any ideas?
    TaylorDeelwithit 382 Replies Flag this Response
  • No they gave me an MRI to look for a brain tumor when they found out I had no ear infection and my blood work was neg. for bacterial infection. I had sudden total loss of hearing in that ear.
    ziggystardust 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • So what tests do they plan next? No they gave me an MRI to look for a brain tumor when they found out I had no ear infection and my blood work was neg. for bacterial infection. I had sudden total loss of hearing in that ear.
    TaylorDeelwithit 382 Replies Flag this Response
  • Oh my, get to an ear nose throat doctor TODAY! You may have sudden neurosensory hearing loss and this is very serious! Don't wait!
    aquila 1,263 Replies Flag this Response
  • Have you been taking any pain meds over an extended length of time? Sometimes these meds cause an abrupt loss of hearing. It is worth looking into if this applies to you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Oh my, get to an ear nose throat doctor TODAY! You may have sudden neurosensory hearing loss and this is very serious! Don't wait!Too late. The chances for effective treatment of sudden hearing loss after this long a wait are zilch. I went to a doctor three days after a sudden loss and he insisted that it was congestion in the eustachian tube even though I told him 1) I don't have a cold, 2) I have never, ever had any ear or hearing problems of any kind in 46 years, 3) the hearing loss was complete, not partial and even though he could see for himself there was no wax buildup in the ear at all. He told me to go get some Afrin, and his assistant made to me a smart-assed comment that they were not in business to clean the wax out of my ears (even though, as I mentioned, there was none).At the time I knew nothing about sudden hearing loss. After three weeks of no relief the same doctor referred me to an ENT but by then it was too late. We went through the oral and injected steroid treatments anyway but there was no improvement. That was about fifteen months ago and I just chalked it up to a bad break.Now that same hospital with the misdiagnosing doctor is promoting itself on the radio with stories and testimonials about how their crack doctors and surgical teams saved these patients with all these dire problems with their precision, expert knowledge. It just makes me furious to hear this crap and I decided because of that to at least start looking into whether a misdiagnosis that resulted in the loss of the only possible opportunity to recover my hearing constituted malpractice. I doubt it does but back when this happened I made a conscious decision to not look into it, but now I've changed my mind about that so now I am checking. And that's why you're now reading my rant. Thank you. :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I was thinking your sudden hearing loss could be meniere's disease - I get it but there are lots of other reasons so check this link out:http://www.deafnessresearch.org.uk/Sudden%20sensorineural%20hearing%20loss+1627.twl
    maggiemay 68 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement