Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Lump under armpit..

Posted In: Skin conditions 20 Replies
  • Posted By: Serenechaos83
  • October 17, 2006
  • 10:35 PM

I am 23 years old with family history of cancer in my family. The other day I was shaving my armpits when I felt a hard knot in my left armpit. I pressed on it and it hurt. Once out of the shower, I looked in the morrior but couldn't visibly see the knot/lump. Over the course of a couple days, the knot feels as though it has grown in size. I have looked at websites and read some on breast cancer. However, I thought breast cancer could only affect women of a certain age range? I am going to call my doctor tomorrow morning and make an apointment. I'm worried and scared. Has anyone else gone through what I'm going through? Any thoughts on what I need to tell my doctor?

Reply Flag this Discussion

20 Replies:

• Hopefully you have seen the doctor by now, and you already have a more professional answer to your questions. But, if not, while I am NOT a doctor, I am the same age as you and found a lump with the same symptoms a few months ago. For me, it turned out to be a blocked lymph node (which are located under the arm). A block in the breast can also be something like a blocked milk duct, especially after a person has had a baby, or, just a benign (harmless) growth/lump. Breast cancer is most common in women after menopause (late 40's - mid 60's), but it certainly does affect women of all ages so it is important to see a doctor even if it is not likely to be cancer. So, definitely go and see the doctor ASAP, but if you think you feel the lump getting bigger within a few days, and especially if you've recently had your period (when lymph nodes swell during your period, and then they return to normal size after, it is not unusual to develop a block within the first few days afterwards) then it you probably shouldn't lose too much sleep over it. For me, the lump came to a head (kind of like a large, deep pimple), and popped, and I had to drain it for a few days. I haven't had a problem since, so, while it was gross, it wasn't harmful at all. Good luck with the Doc, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Hopefully this helped.
    unregisteredwastaken 1 Replies
    • October 27, 2006
    • 07:24 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I was thinking a blocked Lymph Node as well. I've had those several times and they are very painful!! Usually if you put a hot wash cloth under your arm as much as possible for a couple days the swelling in those will subside. If you can't get to the dr. right away try a hot washcloth and see if it helps. If it does at least you can relieve some of the pain. Good luck and I hope it's nothing serious!! ~~Angie~~
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 27, 2006
    • 00:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hi,my name is charlette and my mother has recently found some lumps under her armpit, but she also found one in her breast today and i was curious about what the doctor had said to you. she is going ot the doctor tommorrow but no one is able to go with her so she will be alone and scared. was just curious so i could try and ease her mind a little before she goes!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 29, 2006
    • 07:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi my name is Dave and i am 23/M . i found a small painfull lump between the legs. it hurts when i walk and i have no idea what it could be. i trimmed the genital area 2 days ago and then this all started i think. help me
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 1, 2006
    • 11:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • this will more than likely be an ingrown hair...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 13, 2007
    • 01:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • this will more than likely be an ingrown hair...I am only 15 years old and I have numerous lumps under my arm. I have not seen a doctor about it because my parents don't think it's serious but I do. It has been there off and on for the past 6-7 months...I'm scared.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am 23 years old with family history of cancer in my family. The other day I was shaving my armpits when I felt a hard knot in my left armpit. I pressed on it and it hurt. Once out of the shower, I looked in the morrior but couldn't visibly see the knot/lump. Over the course of a couple days, the knot feels as though it has grown in size. I have looked at websites and read some on breast cancer. However, I thought breast cancer could only affect women of a certain age range? I am going to call my doctor tomorrow morning and make an apointment. I'm worried and scared. Has anyone else gone through what I'm going through? Any thoughts on what I need to tell my doctor? My sister had a hard lump near her armpit that felt like a little pebble. It was cancer, but since she went in early enough, they got it all. She was around 45 years old
    nogullie 28 Replies Flag this Response
  • Im 15 and for the past few days ive had terrible pains in my armpits and when i touch my under armpits its swollen and hurts terribly. It used to be in my left armpit but now its in my right. I think it might be lymph nodes but i know how you feel because im only 15. :(
    Sora01 1 Replies
    • August 25, 2008
    • 04:11 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Apparently shaving and using antiperspirants can cause skin irritation which may cause follicles to become infected. I just had this problem yesterday. I have shaved everyday with a razor that was dull and my skin was very irritated (i never shave my armpits everyday, what was i thinking?) and my right underarm was tender. Got a nice *****d off follicle or two that needed to be opened up, and i have 2 little pea sized lymph nodes swollen up right below it. I also am about to get my period. I never heard that menstration causes them to swell up before. Very interesting. I just like to put warm compresses on it and will leave the area alone from razors/deodarants.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 28, 2008
    • 04:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Im 15 and for the past few days ive had terrible pains in my armpits and when i touch my under armpits its swollen and hurts terribly. It used to be in my left armpit but now its in my right. I think it might be lymph nodes but i know how you feel because im only 15. :( You may have a condition called Hidradinitis Suppurtiva.
    muffin top 15 Replies
    • September 4, 2008
    • 03:13 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi my name is Dave and i am 23/M . i found a small painfull lump between the legs. it hurts when i walk and i have no idea what it could be. i trimmed the genital area 2 days ago and then this all started i think. help meMy first thought when I read your post is that it may be a boil. Boils usually hurt and can be caused after shaving. Try putting a warm cloth on it to help bring it down. While, I am not a doctor, I have had boils before, particularly on my legs as well, and know how extremely painful they can be. I would recommend not trying to squeeze, although I have. Hopefully, this information helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 25, 2009
    • 05:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I am 23 years old with family history of cancer in my family. The other day I was shaving my armpits when I felt a hard knot in my left armpit. I pressed on it and it hurt. Once out of the shower, I looked in the morrior but couldn't visibly see the knot/lump. Over the course of a couple days, the knot feels as though it has grown in size. I have looked at websites and read some on breast cancer. However, I thought breast cancer could only affect women of a certain age range? I am going to call my doctor tomorrow morning and make an apointment. I'm worried and scared. Has anyone else gone through what I'm going through? Any thoughts on what I need to tell my doctor?im only 13 and i started my period for this month. i have a very big lump on my armpit..after i shaved,i felt like i had razor burn. now, i have this lump. i have absolutely no idea what it is and i've been reading things on the internet about cancer and now im very worried. please help?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 24, 2009
    • 10:11 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello,I'm 21 years old and in recent months I've noticed a soft fatty lump under my arm. Most of the time it's barely noticeable and just looks like fat, but every month, right before my period, it seems to swell a little a becomes quite sore to touch. Then after a 3/4 days, it goes back to normal. Is this something to worry about? What could it be???
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 31, 2010
    • 03:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i recently had the same thing i am a 49 year old woman . My periods came and the pain was bad in my armpit and shoulder . Periods finished and it is subsiding so i am notworried just period pains in a different place. But will keep eye on it.
  • Hi my name is Dave and i am 23/M . i found a small painfull lump between the legs. it hurts when i walk and i have no idea what it could be. i trimmed the genital area 2 days ago and then this all started i think. help meIt sounds like you have a swollen lymph node which is cause by shaving, It has gotten bacteria in the their and those the swell. If it looks something like a pea was inserted just under your skin then its probably that :) It may have spread because of the movement,, Dont worry yourself to much, but im not a doctore and i cant diagnose you so you may just wanna waste a few bucks to ask a doctor :_)
  • I am 23 years old with family history of cancer in my family. The other day I was shaving my armpits when I felt a hard knot in my left armpit. I pressed on it and it hurt. Once out of the shower, I looked in the morrior but couldn't visibly see the knot/lump. Over the course of a couple days, the knot feels as though it has grown in size. I have looked at websites and read some on breast cancer. However, I thought breast cancer could only affect women of a certain age range? I am going to call my doctor tomorrow morning and make an apointment. I'm worried and scared. Has anyone else gone through what I'm going through? Any thoughts on what I need to tell my doctor?Im 16 and is having the same thing... Help!
  • I'm sixteen, and I noticed a spongy lump under my arm. It's not perfectly round and it's a little bit tender to the touch. A few days ago it was more hard and enflamed, but it's gotten smaller, deeper into my skin, and more squishy and abnormally shaped over the past few days. I'm really scared-- the doctor put me on antibiotics and told me to follow up with a surgeon if it isn't better in ten days, but I'm afraid it might be cancer. :(
  • I am only 15 years old and I have numerous lumps under my arm. I have not seen a doctor about it because my parents don't think it's serious but I do. It has been there off and on for the past 6-7 months...I'm scared.Im 15 Too And i have lumps under my armpit and my mom took me to the doctor cause i was scared but the doctor said they were harmless and my mom said that my sister had them when she was my age and its probably cause we have big breast.But i am still worried.Now i have about 4 little bumps Now.
  • Im 15 Too And i have lumps under my armpit and my mom took me to the doctor cause i was scared but the doctor said they were harmless and my mom said that my sister had them when she was my age and its probably cause we have big breast.But i am still worried.Now i have about 4 little bumps Now.This can be caused by shaving, especially if you push the razor to close to your body which result in skin damage and ingrown hair. And the effect of these two things is often a boil.
    arthur200 6 Replies Flag this Response
  • my husband had the same thing when he was younger. It gets alot worst and the will spread, and it will begain to hurt to the point that you mash it... DONT!! If you dont they wont spread as fast. He is now 27 and he gets them under his arms, beltline, and between his legs. Not quite sure exactly how to spell it. It is hyderanits suprativa. Please go to the doc asap and get it tended to now why you are young.I am only 15 years old and I have numerous lumps under my arm. I have not seen a doctor about it because my parents don't think it's serious but I do. It has been there off and on for the past 6-7 months...I'm scared.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement