Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Phlegm after eating/drinking..

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 13 Replies
  • Posted By: Pink Ranger
  • March 20, 2008
  • 07:12 PM

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can help me out with this one. After I am done eating and/or drinking, mainly drinking, I always have phlegm in my throat and have to cough/throw it up and spit it out. It mostly seems like it's snot/spit with airbubbles or some sort. I also find myself coughing and clearing my throat throughout the day too. Even now as I swallow it feels like I have snot in the back of my throat. I looked into acid reflux, but I don't have many of the symptoms. No heartburn, nausea, trouble swallowing, etc..

It's nothing severe, but it would be nice if I could find a way to fix it. Thanks for any help! :)

Reply Flag this Discussion

13 Replies:

• ive had a daily phlem problem for about 4-5 years ranging in color from just plain white to a brownish its so frustrating i had acid reflux surgery years ago and all my symptoms subsided but the coughing still continued, so if you do happen to get a helpful reply please let me know im looking for answeres too
    Ashley22ny 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • I would cut out sugar, wheat and dairy and see if that helps. Better yet, go organic and eat more vegan.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • Sinusitis with post-nasal drip. (Sounds like the commercial!)
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi Pink Ranger,Can you tell about the air bubbles you described, are they kind of bigish like soap bubbles?I have sort of the same problem you described.Tell me: do you ever wake up coughing up phlegm at night?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 6, 2008
    • 01:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I get a bit of looseness in the bronchi after a satisfying meal. I do not consider it a problem, actually I consider it a "dashboard light" telling me I've had what I need.I've checked some forums found under the search "phlegm after eating", but most refer to acid reflux problems and aspirating food (neither apply to me and posters on those issues have a situation that could be considered an actual problem).I am merely curious as to what this could mean, and am not worried, nor does my quality of life suffer in any way.I have no need to spit up the phlegm, nor does it cause a serious cough... It's just "getting a bit loose" when I have taken on a good meal.It does not seem to matter if it's a carb based, protein based or vegetarian meal (though I have to admit I take precious few of the latter).I am a smoker, but do not have bronhial issues of any type outside this after meal issue. I suffered from asthma as a child.Also, I saw a comment here advising poster to reduce sugar... I do take a lot of sugar (in coffee, during the day) however the sugar intake itself does not seem to do it... I need a good meal with a fair volume of food to get the effect.Not too hopeful for illumination on the subject, as so far nothing I've looked at has been able to explain to those with a legit problem what's going on. I doubt my little curiosity will have a ready explanation, but just throwing in my situation for consideration.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Zejith,I used to have this when I was a smoker (I am an ex-smoker now), as I used to have a small cough up of phlegm after a decent hot meal. I don't think it is anything to worry about. It could be the actions of the heat of food, or a massaging effect of food in oesophagus dislodging junk in the adjacent lungs, or more likely that the food maybe a stimulus for lung 'muco-ciliary clearance' possibly by a short term increase in metabolic rate for a short period of time after food consumption. Muco-ciliary clearance is a normal physiological action in the lungs to remove any matter that is not wanted/required by the lungs and is co-ordinated by fine hairs on cells lining the tubes of the lungs which act to move mucous etc out of the lung.This is my theory anyway (I do have a background in Physiology) and it could be plausible, though not read any peer-reviewed medical journals to prove or disprove this.This subject was brought to my attention recently as I've had a minor cold and eating brought opn this phlegm effect again.
  • This is a life threatening issue with my mother who is aged 70 years. For the past three weeks - she recovered from a sever fungal infection in the mouth. She can take in only 3 tablespoons of any liquid. Little more than that - she has a severe coughing bout but spits out only some phlegm. I think the liquid reaches her stomach - since none of the liquid she has ingested comes out. She is currently admitted to the hospital and the doctors have a clear endoscopy report, and other vital parameters are ok. They are doing a barium x-ray to dig further. Sorry - just wanted to find out more. Any help will be appreciated. Zejith,I used to have this when I was a smoker (I am an ex-smoker now), as I used to have a small cough up of phlegm after a decent hot meal. I don't think it is anything to worry about. It could be the actions of the heat of food, or a massaging effect of food in oesophagus dislodging junk in the adjacent lungs, or more likely that the food maybe a stimulus for lung 'muco-ciliary clearance' possibly by a short term increase in metabolic rate for a short period of time after food consumption. Muco-ciliary clearance is a normal physiological action in the lungs to remove any matter that is not wanted/required by the lungs and is co-ordinated by fine hairs on cells lining the tubes of the lungs which act to move mucous etc out of the lung.This is my theory anyway (I do have a background in Physiology) and it could be plausible, though not read any peer-reviewed medical journals to prove or disprove this.This subject was brought to my attention recently as I've had a minor cold and eating brought opn this phlegm effect again.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 3, 2009
    • 05:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This is a life threatening issue with my mother who is aged 70 years. For the past three weeks - she recovered from a sever fungal infection in the mouth. She can take in only 3 tablespoons of any liquid. Little more than that - she has a severe coughing bout but spits out only some phlegm. I think the liquid reaches her stomach - since none of the liquid she has ingested comes out. She is currently admitted to the hospital and the doctors have a clear endoscopy report, and other vital parameters are ok. They are doing a barium x-ray to dig further. Sorry - just wanted to find out more. Any help will be appreciated.I have been through several tests, and found through a cat scan that I have thickening of the sinuses, and this can be quite common, and as I am scheduled for surgery and have a long wait have decided to do some research and found this. That you can get a fungal infection in your sinuses, and you can get antifungal sprays to clear this up now. I have researched my own recipies off the natural recipes on the internet. I would ask that she recieve a CT scan and find out what is going on. For myself I have the same type of symptoms you describe coughing like crazy. Also look up candida and connection to sinuses. Good luck, I am not in the medical field, but as I have such a long wait for surgery and this will not cure me anyway that I would start taking matters into my own hands.
  • Hello,I am wondering if anyone can help me out with this one. After I am done eating and/or drinking, mainly drinking, I always have phlegm in my throat and have to cough/throw it up and spit it out. It mostly seems like it's snot/spit with airbubbles or some sort. I also find myself coughing and clearing my throat throughout the day too. Even now as I swallow it feels like I have snot in the back of my throat. I looked into acid reflux, but I don't have many of the symptoms. No heartburn, nausea, trouble swallowing, etc..It's nothing severe, but it would be nice if I could find a way to fix it. Thanks for any help! :)I clear my throat due to sticky phlegm after I eat anything with gluten in it. It was tough to cut it out of my diet but I also had irritable bowel syndrome that was cured when I stopped eating gluten! If I cheat and have a bite of a cookie or bread, my family or friends will say "What did you eat?" because the throat clearing is so instant and obvious. Good luck!
  • I have a friend with this issue. It clears up thou when he has antibiotics (so isnt candida) but always comes back. He's seen so many different doctors over it but no one has been able to tell him what the issue is
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello,I am wondering if anyone can help me out with this one. After I am done eating and/or drinking, mainly drinking, I always have phlegm in my throat and have to cough/throw it up and spit it out. It mostly seems like it's snot/spit with airbubbles or some sort. I also find myself coughing and clearing my throat throughout the day too. Even now as I swallow it feels like I have snot in the back of my throat. I looked into acid reflux, but I don't have many of the symptoms. No heartburn, nausea, trouble swallowing, etc..It's nothing severe, but it would be nice if I could find a way to fix it. Thanks for any help! :) Have you ever swallowed an foreign object that may have gotten hung in your throat?
    maddawg63 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have a friend with this issue. It clears up thou when he has antibiotics (so isnt candida) but always comes back. He's seen so many different doctors over it but no one has been able to tell him what the issue isI have the same issue with the phlegm after eating. My doctor confirmed I had Celiac Disease but didn't suspect a yeast infection. I discovered through my own research that I likely had a systemic yeast infection (candidiasis) from being on 4 rounds of antibiotics, which resulted in Dysbiosis (from killing off the good bacteria in my intestines). WHen I went on a strict diet that removed gluten, sugar and most starches, my symptoms improved. the phlegm in my throat returned, when I ate something high in starch, like tortilla chips and sometimes gluten free cereals that had corn meal or rice in them. By the way, I had numerous other symptoms and tests, too. I was even having chest pain, but no doctor could ever figure out the cause following test after test. They didn't look for a fungal infection.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 14, 2010
    • 02:44 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I guarantee you, it IS severe. I have it too, along with other worsening symptoms including scratchy throat & irritated lungs. I've had it now for 3 years and I have tried everything. The medical doctor, whom I call the FEDMED (The traditional medical doctor) called it "allergies" - what an idiot!--Then he gave me medicine to mask the symptoms. Again, what an idiot! -- If anyone out there knows what this is, please tell me so I'll know how to treat it with natural means. Thank you.
    Anonymous 0 Replies
    • August 23, 2014
    • 04:33 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement