Discussions By Condition: Urinary conditions

UTI - Antibiotics over but pain and burning not gone

Posted In: Urinary conditions 13 Replies
  • Posted By: lovelin
  • March 16, 2008
  • 03:40 AM

I get recurrent UTIs 3-4 times a year and all start after an intercourse. This time was the worst ever, started late night and the condition aggravated within a few hours. Was passing a lot of blood in urine.

My doctor prescricribed antibiotics for 5 days - sulfa something. It's been 4 days since I completed the antibiotics, still the pain and burning has not disappeared fully.

This dscomfort starts in the morning - after my second pee. Then it gets worse, no blood, but kind of pressure and burning. Then as when evening arrives it gets better.

I saw the doctor twice for this, both times she tested my urine, there was no bacteria. She suggested drinking lots of water and giving it time to heal. She also tested me for kidney infection and it came negative.

Any idea when the pain and discomfort will go? Does it take this long for the symptoms to go away? Please please help!

Reply Flag this Discussion

13 Replies:

• Hi, You should look up interstitial cystitis. It's a bladder infection without the infection. Does certain food make your symptoms worse? Try avoiding citris fruits, soda, chocolate, and spicy food while your bladder settles down. You can also take prosed to help with the pain. It turns your pee blue. Hope this helps.
    matclan 33 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have stopped taking chocolate an citrus fruits, and I never take soda. Yes, spicy food makes my condition worse, so I don't take it either. I am drowning myself with cranberry juice, water, cranberry extract, probiotics. Will look up the interstital cysts.
    lovelin 7 Replies Flag this Response
  • Wanted to post an update - the symptoms have gone now. And from my experience, very aggravated UTIs like the one I had will take time to disappear even after the antibiotis are over. Aggravated - lot of blood in urine, unbearable pain and burning, diarrhoea, frequent urination, like in every 5 mins. This is how to get relief fast while you are on antibiotics or they are over: 1. Keep drinking lotsa water. Every trip to the loo should be followed by a glass of water. If required, keep a bottle near your fav couch, in the car, at work, in the purse, on your nigjht stand. 2. Drink lotsa cranberry juice and also cranberry extract. Juice may not be sufficient at this condition. 3. Take a probiotic supplement, a multi vitamin every day. Multi vitamins contain high amount of Vitamin C. 4. Be careful on what you eat while you are healing - limit to whole foods, veggies, plain or sweetened with splenda yogurt. Danon Activia worked great for me. Avoid all spicy foods and treat sugar like poision. Avoid alkaline foods. 5. Try to make your urine acidic http://www.invitingwellness.net/saliva-urine_pH_challenge_form.pdf Alkaline urine is a breeding ground for bacteria, and also it causes burning. 6. Take extra care of personal hygiene. Change underwear twice or more times a day. Take hot showers. It makes your body acidic. Wash all types of bedsheets, garments you had used while you were fighting the infection - so as it does not spread to your loved ones. Clean all toilets at home with bleach. Hope this helps somebody. And I hope this horrible disease never ever infects anybody, even to the worst of my enemies.
    lovelin 7 Replies Flag this Response
  • I realise this is a very old post and im really hoping you get this.Im experiencing this however no blood in urine , antibiotics arent doing anything , how long did it take you to get over your symptoms with the water and cranberry ectURGENT
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I realise this is a very old post and im really hoping you get this.Im experiencing this however no blood in urine , antibiotics arent doing anything , how long did it take you to get over your symptoms with the water and cranberry ectURGENTHi, I am in the same situation but encouraged by the woman above who finally got through it. I'm doing everything regarding liquids, diet, etc. I didn't know about the acidic vs alkaline, I will try that asapWhich antibiotic are you on?
  • I used to had dysuria before, everytimes i saw doctor n had antibiotics taken. these symptoms came on & off within these 15 years. i had it again at age 45, i didn't go to see doctor, I try natural treatment, that is :- taking 60 lemons in a week. 2 fresh lemon juice + water in a glass, drink 4 glasses of these mixtures a day ( 1 hour before meals), on the 3rd day, these symptoms of painful & frequency urination had gone.I have been free off this now for more 12 years.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 10, 2010
    • 02:45 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm glad I found this post.I had intercourse (usually precedes my infections) on a Thursday night. I drank cranberry juice as per usual, but I ran out of cranberry extract pills which I usually take everyday to help prevent this. By Friday afternoon I was starting to worry and was downing more and more cran. juice.By Friday night I was in full-blown infection mode. Hot baths to quiet the pain, water with baking soda (neutralizes the acidity of the urine to help stop the burning, but is only for symptoms, I suppose it actually makes your bladder more hospitable to the bacteria and I would only recommend it if you know you are going to doctor relatively soon) to dull the symptoms, cranberry juice, and as must water as my stomach could take at a time. I was passing blood in my urine and feeling very nauseous. I was even seeing what looked like blood clots in the urine.. pieces of something. But it was late at night and I don't have a car, so I waited until morning to call my family to drive me to the walk-in clinic that opened at 9 am.I was prescribed 7 days of Macrobid and only one and a third days worth of UTI anasthetic pain killer Phenazopyridine.It is now Monday afternoon and the pain has gone but the burning sensation remains. I called the clinic and they assured me they would phone me if the lab results showed I was on the wrong antibiotic. I guess that I am in the same boat as you, one of the worse infections I've had (they seem to worsen more quickly the more I get, and I get them... 5-6 times a year). I am drinking a ton of water and hoping that it's just my bladder needing to heal.I'm definitely going to ask my doctor to refer me to a urologist next time I see her.For those of you acidifying your urine and body...does that not make the symptoms of burning worse? I imagine it would.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 25, 2010
    • 05:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It is almost 4am, and I cannot sleep because of a UTI. Although my UTIs first started due to intercourse, I find now that seem to be random. I don't drink coffee or soda, but I do drink non-caffeinated tea. Recently, I started drinking cranberry juice, which seems to be a good preventative measure. I went to the doctor about a month ago for a UTI, and I was prescribed Keflex. It worked, but another infection came back less than 2 weeks later! Earlier tonight, I took Ciprofloxacin for the first time, and although it helped a bit temporarily, the symptoms came back - hence me being awake right now.I use AZO to help relieve symptoms, but I have heard that it is not good for your liver, so sometimes I just take one tablet. I like that you can buy AZO over-the-counter, and it provides a quick fix. It does make me nauseated briefly before relieving the symptoms, but sometimes after taking AZO, my body fights the infection off on its own, and the symptoms goes away.I have read on other websites that it helps to take 1000mg of Vitamin C each day. Has anyone tried this? Does anyone have any helpful tips on how to prevent recurring UTIs? I normally don't frequent forums, but UTIs are seriously starting to interrupt my daily routine!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 11, 2010
    • 00:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you so much for this post. I really can't thank you enough. I was literally on the floor in pain, crouched in a ball, trying to find some kind of advice on the Internet.I read the part about taking a hot shower and feel so much better I can actually move around and now I'm in bed and comfortable. All the tips are very helpful. I hope have over come your bout of illness.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 14, 2011
    • 01:57 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I used to suffer from constant UTIs--several bad ones like the first one in this thread. Mine were all brought on because of intercourse. I didn't matter how much water I drank afterwards, I would still get an infection. I finally went to a doctor who prescribed the antibiotic Bactrim DS--I take one pill after intercourse and it has prevented any more UTIs. I don't like taking antibiotics, but I couldn't live with the UTIs anymore.
  • I realise this is a very old post and im really hoping you get this.Im experiencing this however no blood in urine , antibiotics arent doing anything , how long did it take you to get over your symptoms with the water and cranberry ectURGENTGo see your doctor. Last week I had this problem, but with blood. It was a UTI. I was on a 7 day prescription, drank a TON of cranberry juice, and now I am feeling better. Although, going to the bathroom constantly has made me feel very raw, and it does hurt a bit, but you can tell the difference between that and the UTI.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hey guys, I'm currently on keflex, its probably like my 4th on day but im still experiencing horrible pain. It hurts when I urinate and I have really bad back pain. This is like my fourth uti and this time it really feels bad... For the past month I've been drinking lots of cranberry juice and eliminated spicy food from my diet and I still feel like ****. I'm literally suicidal.. I hate this feeling.. I want to feel normal again. I'm wondering if you guys know of anything else that can be prolonging this infection?What can stop an antibiotic from working?
  • I just went to the doctor for my UTI as I am still experiencing some burning when I urinate. My test came back negative for bacteria. I'm wondering if I just need to let my urinary tract heal from dealing with the infection? I've been treating myself homeopathically for about 5 days, which is probably why I got a negative result. Try a product called Akutur, it's a natural antibiotic especially for UTI problems. It runs about $23 dollars and you can order it online...all herbal and I've had great results with it. I also have something I ordered called the UTI report which is a 12 hour regimen/cleanse for UTI problems. If I catch them early with the 12 hour cleanse they never fully develop.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement