Discussions By Condition: Blood conditions

Unexplained Bruising

Posted In: Blood conditions 8 Replies
  • Posted By: Nancy_8805
  • March 10, 2008
  • 05:54 PM

I had a cousin who died when she was young. I'm not sure the exact age but I think she was about 8-10. I think she died in the early 80s. Her family was on vacation at disneyland and some bruises appeared on her body. Nothing had happened that they could think of that would normally cause the bruising (injury of any sort) They headed home and were going to see a doctor, she died before they found out what was wrong. The family thinks she picked up some disease off one of the rides, but I'm skeptical because I would think more than one child would get sick from something like that. I don't know much more than what's I've just typed but I'm curious as to what could possibly lead to this. Could it have been a genetic disorder that was unknown at the time? If so, what are the chances that other relatives have inherited it? I'm mostly just curious as to anything that could cause widespread bruising without trauma. Any information will be appreciated. This is mostly for my personal information & curiosity.

Thank You

Reply Flag this Discussion

8 Replies:

• Well, first thing that came to mind is that bruising without trauma is either platelet-problem, or vein-problem. I mean, you don't have enough platelets, you'll end up bleeding. But not only bruises: nosebleed, gum-bleed, gastrointestinal bleeding, you name it. Your veins are not strong enough, you're bleeding again.Is there any known bleeding disorder in you family? Haemophilia, something?Ehlers-Danlos syn. is the most common cause of weak veins. It also runs in families and causes delicate skin, joint hypermobility... that is, when you can bend your joints past the point that is considered to be normal.Anyting familiar?But it could be a bunch of other things... leukaemia, other cancers... none of which is familial, of course...Hope I could help.
    annaPEB 29 Replies Flag this Response
  • This is a condition my family suffer from. So far nobody has died from it. My mother, sister and daughter get occasional spontaneous bruising usually in our hands, as if a vein has burst. I had this happen last week. The doctors I've mentioned this to are not interested in diagnosing what causes it. Last week I had a sudden pain in my middle finger and a large purple bruise appeared. The only thing I've found that may help is Hawthorn berries I don't know if this works but I'm giving it a go for want of any other help.
    Kristl 7 Replies
    • October 8, 2008
    • 07:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Weird, all the females in my family have the same problem with bruising and doctors don't seem concerned about it around here either. I was told once by a doctor that Vitamin K can help reduce the bruising, but have never tried it. I am a free bleeder, but not a hemophiliac. I have been asked on several occasions if I take blood thinners. That answer is no of course. My total cholesterol is always almost borderline low. Last time it was 145 mg/dl. Anything below 140 mg/dl is considered low....not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I'm going to look into that while I am thinking about it. As for the child that showed up with multiple bruising there could of been some internal bleeding going on and a genetic problem that they were unaware of. Thrombocytopenia possibly, that is a low count of blood platelets and with that would cause the blood to flow freely. They normally do an autopsy on a child, unless the family refused. There are many blood disorders and the family could try doing some research into their family histories to find out if someone else had the same problems. I doubt it was DIC because she would of been bleeding out of every orifice of her body....check into some of the different blood disorders and see if they match up and please keep us informed.Good luck!!!
    Butterflylove75 5 Replies
    • November 13, 2008
    • 06:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks. It's a strange business. I'm seeing a doctor again next week. I hope I can persuade him to some more intensive tests. Will post any new info if it becomes available.:confused: Kirstl
    Kristl 7 Replies
    • November 13, 2008
    • 05:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • For any of you women (or men) experiencing unexplained bruising AND/OR heavy menstrual bleeding, ask your Dr. to test you for von Willebrand's Disease. It is a very common bleeding disorder that often goes undiagnosed. Symptoms MAY include one or more of the following: heavy/prolonged periods, nosebleeds, spontaneous bruising, bleeding after surgery or dental work. Visit www.hemophilia.org and check out Project Red Flag information. vWD is NOT hemophilia, it is a bleeding disorder. The treatment for vWD is a prescription nasal spray! So simple and effective. Most importantly, remember...it is your RIGHT to be tested. Don't let your doctor tell you no. Advocate for yourself, no-one else will. Good luck to all! Darcy
    DarcyAnnie 1 Replies
    • November 19, 2008
    • 01:20 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It could have been thrombocytopenia like someone said above. Although there would have been trauma. This is when the platelets are being attacked by their own body, resultingin low platelets and bruising very easily.It's difficult to say, but i reckon there are a few missing puzzle peices, unless your family know more...it should have been more clear from perhaps an autopsy. Check the family history for auto immune diseases.Also, in the 80s there may have been less info on certain illnesses.She may have had low platelets (i.e bruising) and a very weak immune system... was she sick often
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 17, 2009
    • 04:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It could have been thrombocytopenia like someone said above. Although there would have been trauma. This is when the platelets are being attacked by their own body, resultingin low platelets and bruising very easily.It's difficult to say, but i reckon there are a few missing puzzle peices, unless your family know more...it should have been more clear from perhaps an autopsy. Check the family history for auto immune diseases.Also, in the 80s there may have been less info on certain illnesses.She may have had low platelets (i.e bruising) and a very weak immune system... was she sick often Thanks for your suggestions. No, my mother was pretty resistant to viruses etc. as am I. She did suffer from osteo-arthritis and asthma, but generally went through life fairly healthily. I've had a whole gamut of tests: liver function, Factor 8 , thyroid, etc, etc etc. I think the doctor might have thought I was wasting her time until I showed her a photo I took of a particularly bad bruise on my finger. But she's at a loss, and so is the haematology department of the University hospital. I guess I'll just have to live with it and hope for the best!
    Kristl 7 Replies
    • August 23, 2009
    • 09:13 AM
    Flag this Response
  • As I sit here tonight reading this I can look at the palms of my hands and see 5 fresh bruises on my palms. My mom has Von Willebrands and it is quite likely that I have it too. I also have a form of immune based arthritis which I take meds for to supress my immune system with subsequent low platelet count. I will be contacting my immunologist to let them know about my new bruises so they can determine if it is VW or if it is my meds and what my follow through should be. Please anyone who has spontaneous bruising of hands or feet get tested for VW. It is very often the first noticable symptom.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 28, 2011
    • 05:20 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement