Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Like a giant rubber band squeezing my ribcage

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: firefly646
  • March 8, 2008
  • 03:42 AM

Like so many on this forum, I have fought a mysterious ribcage/back/chest pain for the last year. It feels like a giant, thick, tight rubber band is squeezing me around my ribcage. I frequently feel short of breath, but I was a college track runner and marathoner in top form before this started.

The main symptoms include a constant "tight" feeling, shortness of breath, tingly and stabbing sensations in my entire ribcage, breast pain, immobility, and muscle spasms. Oddly, my upper body almost always feels cold and tingly, even when the rest of my body is warm. Also, I have woken up in the morning with bruises on my chest, exactly where the pain is the worst. My theory is that the "tight" feeling was so bad in my sleep, that I was rubbing my chest, desperately trying to loosen it somehow, and bruised myself accidently. But who knows?

The first doctor told me I have asthma, and gave me an inhaler. It made no difference. I saw a second doctor, who X-rayed me and gave me blood tests, all of which came back fine. She concluded it was my Lat muscles being injured, and gave me physical therapy, muscle relaxers and NSAIDS. These help relieve pain in the short term a bit, but doesn't fix the source of the problem.

Otherwise, I am in good shape. I've made my desk ergonomic, started therapuetic yoga, and gotten cracked my my chiro... but the problem is still there.

Help! How can I get back to my normal life without the "rubber band"?

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement