Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Fingertip pain

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 4 Replies
  • Posted By: typethedocs
  • March 3, 2008
  • 02:51 AM

Anyone heard of this? I've been to my doc several times, she tests me for carpal tunnel syndrome, which I don't have and then says "Uh, I don't know." The problem is that it's getting worse and worse, especially in the last few weeks. My three middle fingers on 1 hand feel as if I have splinters under the nails and the rest of the finger is sore, as if it has become infected. But, there is nothing wrong with my fingers! It has been going on for a few years in a much more mild form, so I thought that it was just Raynaud's syndrome. But, in the last 3 months, it has gotten more often and more painful. The last 3 days, it has never gone away and the pain has gone from a 3/5 to a 7/10. So, I'm getting desperate to know what to do. Go back to the doctor and get the shoulder shrug or ???? Usually, this doc is really good about tracking things down and listening/believing my complaints so it's not like she's a neglectful doc. She just hasn't ever heard of this. Anyone else have?

Thanks for your help!

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• Anyone heard of this? I've been to my doc several times, she tests me for carpal tunnel syndrome, which I don't have and then says "Uh, I don't know." The problem is that it's getting worse and worse, especially in the last few weeks. My three middle fingers on 1 hand feel as if I have splinters under the nails and the rest of the finger is sore, as if it has become infected. But, there is nothing wrong with my fingers! It has been going on for a few years in a much more mild form, so I thought that it was just Raynaud's syndrome. But, in the last 3 months, it has gotten more often and more painful. The last 3 days, it has never gone away and the pain has gone from a 3/5 to a 7/10. So, I'm getting desperate to know what to do. Go back to the doctor and get the shoulder shrug or ???? Usually, this doc is really good about tracking things down and listening/believing my complaints so it's not like she's a neglectful doc. She just hasn't ever heard of this. Anyone else have? Thanks for your help!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have the exact same problem. I am a smoker (stopped!!) and used to notice a mild rush feeling in my left fingers after a cigarette probably over the past year or so. Now, since the past 2 weeks a pain has developed, every few hours with mild temp darkening at the fingertips. can see my veins on the left hand are larger than that on the right hand too. The pain seems to run long the veins and then under the nailbed. Sharp, prolonged pain has woken me form my sleep during the past few nights. My doc says it does not look like raynauds, could be sleeping my arm and restricitng blood flow. I do sleep on my arm and have attempted to change positions, though the pain - daytime and night time continues.. Unable to find a diagnosis.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thin short dark marks under the fingernails that appear periodically and grow out with the nail may be an indicator of sbe (subacute bacterial endocarditis) - an infected heart. You should see your physician and if confirmed you will need to take precautions whenever you visit the dentist, going on prophylactic antibiotics prior to any dental work. How is your dental health, as this is a prime cause of sbe.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 6, 2009
    • 04:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Anyone heard of this? I've been to my doc several times, she tests me for carpal tunnel syndrome, which I don't have and then says "Uh, I don't know." The problem is that it's getting worse and worse, especially in the last few weeks. My three middle fingers on 1 hand feel as if I have splinters under the nails and the rest of the finger is sore, as if it has become infected. But, there is nothing wrong with my fingers! It has been going on for a few years in a much more mild form, so I thought that it was just Raynaud's syndrome. But, in the last 3 months, it has gotten more often and more painful. The last 3 days, it has never gone away and the pain has gone from a 3/5 to a 7/10. So, I'm getting desperate to know what to do. Go back to the doctor and get the shoulder shrug or ???? Usually, this doc is really good about tracking things down and listening/believing my complaints so it's not like she's a neglectful doc. She just hasn't ever heard of this. Anyone else have? Thanks for your help!This is an easy one, which most doctors miss, your problem is glumos tumors, i think the spelling is right, I know because i have it
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 12, 2009
    • 02:25 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement