Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

positive vdrl negative tpha

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 5 Replies
  • Posted By: grace cruz
  • February 23, 2008
  • 09:39 AM

help me!!!

I was diagnosed with positve vdrl (1:2 dilution) but negative tpha,at the same time, I was 4weeks pregnant. My doctor told me that the positive vdrl result was due to the hormones that are present during pregnancy. She also confirmed that it was only false-positive vdrl since the tpha was negative.

About after a week, I had a miscarriage. After a week again, my vdrl was still positive and tpha negative.

What are the possible reasons for these? Is it true that my positive vdrl could be linked to my pregnancy?

Please help....

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• Yes, you need to find out for sure what is wrong. Syphlilis in a pregnant woman would have caused severe disabilities with the child. Since you are child bearing years, you need to find out. Check this out:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3276100 http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=9853 The VDRL test is sometimes positive in the absence of syphilis. For example, a false positive VDRL can be encountered in infectious mononucleosis, lupus, the antiphospholipid antibody syndrome, hepatitis A, leprosy, malaria and, occasionally, pregnancy.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • February 23, 2008
    • 05:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • But how about the possibilities that I got a positive vdrl because I was pregnant? My doctor couldn't see any reasons how and why I was reactive to it but the fact that my pregnacy hormones are still active. After the miscarriage, I had two pregnancy tests, one using my urine and the other, with my serum. The first one was negative and the other one showed a positive sign. The doctor said that I don't have any signs of early syphillis. My boyfriend also had a vdrl and he was not reactive to it, that's why the doctor ruled out the possibility of infection. What are the chances that my being reactive to the vdrl was due to my pregnancy? im really confused since Im scheduled to go abroad and this would not push through if my vdrl is positive. Need help pls....
    grace cruz 1 Replies
    • February 24, 2008
    • 00:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It could have just been your pregnancy, but did you read this:"Although VDRL and RPR tests are excellent screens for syphilis, false-positive reactions do occur. A positive VDRL or RPR test must be confirmed with an FTA-ABS test. Patients with positive serologic tests should have a thorough physical examination to determine the stage of syphilis. A patient with a low-titer VDRL or RPR may have active disease and may require lumbar puncture to rule out neurosyphilis."
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • February 24, 2008
    • 04:44 AM
    Flag this Response
  • There are a lot of things that can cause false positives on the VDRL test. Here is a partial list:malarialeptospirosisleprosymononucleosislupuslymphogranuloma venereummycoplasmal pneumoniatyphuscat-scrath feverhepatitisperiarteritis nodosaacute viral and bacterial infectionshypersensitivity reactionsrecent vaccinationsObviously, not all of these apply, but I thought I'd put all of them down. This list was taken from Mosby's Manual of Diagnostic and Laboratory Tests, 2nd ed.I did not see pregnancy on this list, but the list may not be complete. You might want to try to Google "pregnancy and positive VDRL test", or look it up in Pub med.I'm so sorry about your miscarriage.Best Wishes.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 24, 2008
    • 05:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i was rejected with my two job application for Singapore because of my vdrl..but my TPHA is always negative..i dont have any sexual contact.According to my doctor maybe its because of the chicken pox i had when i was a kid,why my vdrl becomes always reactive..Do you think its possible..?But its almost 16yrs since i got chicken pox..How come it happen that the bacteria is still on my blood.?I cant apply in Singapore because they are very strict when it comes to vdrl..i can pass on the interview but im always rejected during the medical..Im so depress because i really want to work in Singapore..I dont know if Singaporeans will accept that the cause of vdrl reactive is due of my chicken pox only..Pls help me..Tell me if there is any medicine or treatment i can take to make my vdrl clear or non reactive..Thanx so much.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement