Discussions By Condition: Colon conditions

constipation, mucus in stool, depression

Posted In: Colon conditions 5 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 18, 2008
  • 07:59 PM

For the past couple months I have had really bad constipation. I eat a lot of fiber to get more regular but it doesn't seem to help much. I have bowel movement almost everyday but I don't get very much out and it feels like I always have to go even after I have just gone, like I am not getting it all out. I even gave my self an enema and I still had to force a lot of it out. My stool sizes are smaller in diameter too. I have also had really bad gas, that smells really bad. I have a hard time sitting in class for an hour holding it in because it causes really bad cramps and I feel like I will explode. When I do have a bowel movement there is mucus in the stools and when I wipe there is mucus all over the toilet paper. I often feel weak and tired. I have also been dealing with depression and I am currently taking an anti depressant, but it doesn't say constipation is a side effect. The antidepressant doesn't seem to help very much either, I still feel depressed. I get really bad headaches that won't go away with tylenol or ibuprofen. Another thing is if I don't eat for a 3 to 4 hours I get headaches and really shaky and anxious and I can't think very clearly but as soon as I eat I feel fine after just a few minutes.
I talked to my doctor about my symptoms but he kind of just brushed them off and gave me a different antidepressant. So I am not sure what to do. I am wondering if there is an underlying physical condition that could be causing my depression because meds and therapy don't seem to be helping.
Any advice would be helpful.

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• I know all about it and believe me, it can get a lot worse. So, make a simple experiment for one month - it has saved me:Stop eating all red MEAT, chicken, bread, pasta, and also fiber. Totally avoid MILK products (only take small amounts of butter and yoghurt), and avoid anything fried in oil (non-heated olive oil is fine). Perhaps also avoid eggs. Fish, especially tuna in brine is okay. Fiber can cause constipation if the fiber is not fermented - which it seldom is in Western society.Only eat the following every day, cooked in water: Butternut (most important, yellow pumpkin that looks like a large pear), also real potato and broccoli. Other veggies and fruit such as green peas, onions, beetroot, garlic, tomato are all fine. For protein take beans and occasionally a teaspoon of peanut butter (if not allergic of course). If you have dried prunes in your country, add them. They have iron, to make up for not eating meat. Most of the veggies have good iron too. Flavour the cooked veggies with extra virgin olive oil and quite a bit of sea salt, or Trocomare salt from Dr Vogel at health shops. Add the olive oil after cooking so it never gets too heated.Drink much, and more often, but only water and sometimes pure fruit juice. Always drink water before eating as well. Take non-carbonated bottled water to school. Never drink sodas, any caffeine, and never MILK. Be sure to read http://www.phenomenews.com/nov2005/0a.htmHeadaches, shaky, anxious solved by eating - that is hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Through the day, every hour, eat a bit of cheese (thin slice as it is milk) and about 15 raisins - always protein and carbs together. Never eat much, but frequently. In between, snack on peeled (and perhaps salted) apples, only a quarter at a time. Eliminate ALL simple sugar, artificial sweeteners, processed foods, margarine, sweet carbonated drinks, candy etc. For school, find non-leak plastic tubs and pack raw cabbage salad (with raisins and mayo), also your apple wedges etc.Better than most constipation medications is slow-release vitamin C, 1000 mg or more per day - this helps for much besides as well. Add Vitamin-B12 (complex) and Omega-3 (salmon oil or flax seed oil). Once a week take a Calsium supplement before going to sleep, with a big glass of water. Stop taking all headache pills, only drink 2 glasses of water and a spot of salt, then lie down for a while - you will see what happens after some minutes. Our bodies are keen to get back to normal, if we let them.An easy Yoga movement is "The Cat". See how a cat stretches. On all fours, lower back curved inward, front paws far out. This they do to make an involuntary muscle in the colon pass their stool through to the rectum. It works for us too. We can bring our hands back in (to all fours position) to achieve a better inward curve of our spine. Also do lots of walking and light exercises, every bit helps.I hope you will try the above and be pleasantly surprised. Meat and milk are probably made bad for us due to the manufacturing process. Same thing with all processed foods. If the simple and natural works for you, at least you will know how to fix it if the same condition happens again.
    Curly Stooge 319 Replies
    • February 24, 2008
    • 06:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • You might have a parasite, or worms. I have the same symptoms, and plan to get screened/diagnosed by my doctor for any parasites.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I agree it might be a parasite, especially if you are feeling that bad and the stool is slimy. I suggest getting off the antidepressent and having your stool sample tested asap. And find a new doctor, you don't have to put up with that nonsense. There is one out there that will help you. If you don't already have one, I would suggest The Ultimate Zapper by Ken Presner to speed up your detox time. I have one for a different ailment, but his testimonials for the parasite section is amazing. Just google his name and you will find it. Best of luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 26, 2010
    • 04:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Maybe drinking lots of water could help but don't overdo it. Are you exercising regularly? If not, you should be. Some people hate going to the gym and use this as an excuse not to exercise. You do not have to follow a gym regime, you can exercise anywhere you like including your own home. It is best to get out into the fresh air if you can but even running up and down your stairs will help to improve your overall fitness levels.Constipation Center
    constipationXY 6 Replies
    • November 12, 2010
    • 00:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • For the past couple months I have had really bad constipation. I eat a lot of fiber to get more regular but it doesn't seem to help much. I have bowel movement almost everyday but I don't get very much out and it feels like I always have to go even after I have just gone, like I am not getting it all out. I even gave my self an enema and I still had to force a lot of it out. My stool sizes are smaller in diameter too. I have also had really bad gas, that smells really bad. I have a hard time sitting in class for an hour holding it in because it causes really bad cramps and I feel like I will explode. When I do have a bowel movement there is mucus in the stools and when I wipe there is mucus all over the toilet paper. I often feel weak and tired. I have also been dealing with depression and I am currently taking an anti depressant, but it doesn't say constipation is a side effect. The antidepressant doesn't seem to help very much either, I still feel depressed. I get really bad headaches that won't go away with tylenol or ibuprofen. Another thing is if I don't eat for a 3 to 4 hours I get headaches and really shaky and anxious and I can't think very clearly but as soon as I eat I feel fine after just a few minutes. I talked to my doctor about my symptoms but he kind of just brushed them off and gave me a different antidepressant. So I am not sure what to do. I am wondering if there is an underlying physical condition that could be causing my depression because meds and therapy don't seem to be helping. Any advice would be helpful. i am having simular probs and also have hypoglycemia, bowel movements with mucus and depression. the first stages of hypo. are confusing and the first thing you will have to do is regulate your blood sugar. there was a hypoglycemia web site that helps you do that, it helped me ten years ago. it will help you eat wisely and figure out how often. i felt dizzy alot which was my right eye pupil focusing in and out involuntarily due to insulin fluctuation. and then there is confusion from lack of sugar in blood, time to eat,small, with sugar if it is bad then. then there are night terrors waking up feeling confused because your sugar dropped while you slept.(if you are experiencing this eat more before bed, prob had a hard day) so many aspects and dont listen to docs my experience has been they dont know jack, and dont care, talk to others, research and get your very own regimine. i felt like i was going to die but i regulated and educated. as far as the other things i am doing a stool smear test and going to submit my sample today. so hopefully no more poops that are frequent, small with many different collors mucus, interminet constipation throughout the week and general feeling of blah! been goin on for a month will post my results on the poop prob. im thinking a bacterial or parasite prob maybe colo rectal, hoping not but time will tell
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement