Discussions By Condition: Endocrine conditions

hypoglycemia, depression, constipation, mucus

Posted In: Endocrine conditions 1 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 18, 2008
  • 07:55 PM

For the past couple months I have had really bad constipation. I eat a lot of fiber to get more regular but it doesn't seem to help much. I have bowel movement almost everyday but I don't get very much out and it feels like I always have to go even after I have just gone, like I am not getting it all out. I even gave my self an enema and I still had to force a lot of it out. My stool sizes are smaller in diameter too. I have also had really bad gas, that smells really bad. I have a hard time sitting in class for an hour holding it in because it causes really bad cramps and I feel like I will explode. When I do have a bowel movement there is mucus in the stools and when I wipe there is mucus all over the toilet paper. I often feel weak and tired. I have also been dealing with depression and I am currently taking an anti depressant, but it doesn't say constipation is a side effect. The antidepressant doesn't seem to help very much either, I still feel depressed. I get really bad headaches that won't go away with tylenol or ibuprofen. Another thing is if I don't eat for a 3 to 4 hours I get headaches and really shaky and anxious and I can't think very clearly but as soon as I eat I feel fine after just a few minutes.
I talked to my doctor about my symptoms but he kind of just brushed them off and gave me a different antidepressant. So I am not sure what to do. I am wondering if there is an underlying physical condition that could be causing my depression because meds and therapy don't seem to be helping.
Any advice would be helpful.

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• It is from eating fruits and foods with High Fructose Corn Syrup, which is causing your constipation symptoms and causing hypoglycemia which is what is making you tired, eat small meals during the day and do not eat and drink sugary foods before bed.The physiological consequences of fructose malabsorption include increasing osmotic load, providing substrate for rapid bacterial fermentation, changing gastrointestinal motility, promoting mucosal biofilm and altering the profile of bacteria. These effects are additive with other short-chain poorly absorbed carbohydrates such as sorbitol. The clinical significance of these events depends upon the response of the bowel to such changes; they have a higher chance of inducing symptoms in patients with functional gut disorders than asymptomatic subjects. Some effects of fructose malabsorption are decreased tryptophan, folic acid and zinc in the blood. Restricting dietary intake of free fructose and/or fructans may have durable symptomatic benefits in a high proportion of patients with functional gut disorders, but high quality evidence is lacking.Other possible symptoms of fructose malabsorption include:Aching eyes Fuzzy head Fatigue Depression as a result of absorption disorders in the small and large intestines, other substances such as amino acids are not absorbed. Because of missing substances (among others tryptophan), hormones and neurotransmitters cannot be synthesized
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 25, 2008
    • 06:47 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement