Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Not Gout, then what?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 2 Replies
  • Posted By: xyleisha
  • February 18, 2008
  • 00:17 PM

I went to the doctor yesterday because the joint of my big toe has been hurting so badly it's been keeping me up at night. It's red, inflamed, slightly swollen. I always want to "pop" it. It doesn't want to pop most of the time though and gets "stuck", so I devil it until it does. I know that isn't helping matters, but it hurts more if I don't pop it. (And because I crack the joint my moving my middle toe overtop the nail area of the big toe, flexing the big toe to make it crack- I do it in my sleep without being aware until I wake up in pain)
The doctor LOOKED at my toe and said "Gout" and got me a prescription... excuse me, the Physicians Assistant did the "exam".
She ignored the fact that pressure makes my toe feel BETTER.
Plus I'm very slightly underweight and I'm only 33 years old... But, my diet does suck and I'm almost always in a slightly dehydrated state.

Will taking the medicine help even if it's not gout? How long should I suffer before getting a second opinion?

Thanks.

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• Your symptoms ARE classic for Gout. Go ahead and take the pills, it will not harm anything else. Just be aware that they will not work like a pain pill and immediately ease the pain, they must be taken daily over a period of time to work. Gout is a build up of uric acid that forms crystals in the joint and the medication works to lower uric acid levels and dissolve the crystals, which obviosly can take some time. If the pills work DO NOT stop taking them after the pain subsides, you will only develop more crystals. However, if after a few weeks you no relief at all you need to see your doctor again, either the dose will need to be increased or a more thorough workup will need to be done. This is one of those cases where you treat the obvious, as it will do no harm and costs less for you, and then if that doesn't work you do a more costly workup.
    shelljax 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • You must get the natural product called 'goutrol"..you can check online or see if your local health food store carries it. yes, sounds like gout and the meds don't do much but the goutrol will fix it real good. Just have some around when it starts to flare up.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement