Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Why am I hotter than everyone else?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 20 Replies
  • Posted By: tempissue
  • February 12, 2008
  • 11:25 PM

Ok, bit of weird one but it's starting to bug me.

I am a 28 year old male and I am generally hotter than everyone else I know. I like a room to be alot colder etc but my girlfriend is always too cold so I have to put the heating on. It's the same at work, i like being in my colder office and it's often pointed out that is so?

Is there something amiss here or am I just being paranoid? :confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion

20 Replies:

• This can be very well treated with acupuncture and Chinese herbs, believe it or not I find it one of the first things a patient will comment on after a treatment. Something like " I used a blanket at night for the first time in months!" or similar. Please consider this in helping you get back in balance. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • February 13, 2008
    • 01:30 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you had your thyroid checked? You might be hyperthyroid...On the other hand, your girlfriend might be hypothyroid.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 13, 2008
    • 02:50 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It's glandular or hormonal. Is your temperature normal?
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • February 13, 2008
    • 08:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • So you guys don't think its normal then. I have been like this for years!! :( I have come to work today in jeans and a T-Shirt and didn't really feel the cold, despite it being 1-2ºC outside. My girlfriend was all wrapped up in a big over jacket and she was cold! Should I see the doctor and ask about it then?
    tempissue 6 Replies
    • February 13, 2008
    • 11:20 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Check your family out, particularly your parents. Do they run hot?
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies
    • February 13, 2008
    • 00:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My mum likes the heating on so it's not her. Dad doesn't mind the cold. Maybe I am a bit like him, have a lower cold threshold. Or maybe the women in my life are just more susceptible to the cold? I have been like this for years but over the winter it's really started to bug me having the heat on so much in the house, to the point where I get bothered and even sweaty.
    tempissue 6 Replies
    • February 13, 2008
    • 04:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have a slightly different point of view to share about this:To me, this is a masculine trait. My ex-husband is from Iceland and was very accustomed to its weather. He was always hot too but I never had a problem with this; in fact, I found it really attractive. He would wrap me up in a blanket and leave himself uncovered and I would fall asleep in his arms every night just like this. When it was cold outside he never cringed or whimpered to give me his jacket and would also wear shorts and a t-shirt while everyone else was bundled up. Now, I would be lucky if I wake up with any part of the blanket on me to only look over and see him balled-up complaining that he is cold – what a girl ;)Of course there could be a serious medical reason for your feeling hot but I doubt it. If you are eating a healthy diet and getting proper exercise there is not much else. Your thyroid may or may not be functioning as healthy as it should and finding out any problems with this organ can be quite difficult sometimes. If it were me worried the way you are, I would get some blood work to make sure you’re in balance, especially check your iron levels. Also, I would probably stay away from foods that stimulate increased blood circulation more than normal, such as caffeine, chocolate, etc.
    Undeleted1 28 Replies
    • February 14, 2008
    • 00:30 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have a slightly different point of view to share about this, although I do agree with the prior suggestions:To me, this is a masculine trait. My ex-husband is from Iceland and was very accustomed to its weather. He was always hot too but I never had a problem with this; in fact, I found it really attractive. He would wrap me up in a blanket and leave himself uncovered and I would fall asleep in his arms every night just like this. When it was cold outside he never cringed or whimpered to give me his jacket and would also wear shorts and a t-shirt while everyone else was bundled up. Now, I would be lucky if I wake up with any part of the blanket on me to only look over and see him balled-up complaining that he is cold – what a girl;)Of course there could be a serious medical reason for your feeling hot but I doubt it. If you are eating a healthy diet and getting proper exercise there is not much else. Your thyroid may or may not be functioning as healthy as it should and finding out any problems with this organ can be quite difficult sometimes. If it were me worried the way you are, I would get some blood work to make sure you’re in balance, especially check your iron levels. Also, I would probably stay away from foods that stimulate increased blood circulation more than normal, such as caffeine, chocolate, etc.
    Undeleted1 28 Replies
    • February 14, 2008
    • 00:41 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have a slightly different point of view to share about this (keeping in mind I do support the prior comments):To me, this is a masculine trait. My ex-husband is from Iceland and was very accustomed to its weather. He was always hot too but I never had a problem with this; in fact, I found it really attractive. He would wrap me up in a blanket and leave himself uncovered and I would fall asleep in his arms every night just like this. When it was cold outside he never cringed or whimpered to give me his jacket and would also wear shorts and a t-shirt while everyone else was bundled up. Now, I would be lucky if I wake up with any part of the blanket on me to only look over and see him balled-up complaining that he is cold – what a girl;) Of course there could be a serious medical reason for your feeling hot but I doubt it. If you are eating a healthy diet and getting proper exercise there is not much else. Your thyroid may or may not be functioning as healthy as it should and finding out any problems with this organ can be quite difficult sometimes. If it were me worried the way you are, I would get some blood work to make sure you’re in balance, especially check your iron levels. Also, I would probably stay away from foods that stimulate increased blood circulation more than normal, such as caffeine, chocolate, etc.
    Undeleted1 28 Replies
    • February 14, 2008
    • 10:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I agree with Undeleted1.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 17, 2008
    • 10:27 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It was -0.5ºC today and I went out in a T-Shirt. Whats going on? :(
    tempissue 6 Replies
    • February 17, 2008
    • 08:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Try acupuncture.DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • February 17, 2008
    • 11:17 PM
    Flag this Response
  • ...and what's the problem;) ...you're worried. I do not see a problem but you could still investigate the possibility of one. Visit your doctor on your concern about why you have such a high tolerance to cold. I would request a series of blood chemical tests to ensure everything is within its normal ranges. There is nothing drastic requesting all of these tests as you are worried. Doctors usually do not recommend having all of these tests because as doctors they can access the possibilities in asking you questions during your visit (depending on your answers they will do what they perceive it necessary). Again, my belief is men have a higher tolerance to cold, moreso than women. Men also tend to have thicker and more body hair coverage than women (within culture-culture comparisons), i.e., facial, legs, back, fingers. These comparisons are sensitive and sometimes inconclusive due to interracial offspring. For the most part, familial comparisons are at best for when making quick references to this theory (my belief). These are the differences that obvisously attract man-woman or woman-man. Your hightend masculinity trait to stand the cold is probably attracting woman (they may not be aware of it) but I am sure some natural attractions are at work. I think the opposite sex tends to be attracted too when there is more masculinity exhibited in others compared to themselves (consider the plastic-cosmetic surgery craze).
    Undeleted1 28 Replies
    • February 18, 2008
    • 00:12 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My mum likes the heating on so it's not her. Dad doesn't mind the cold. Maybe I am a bit like him, have a lower cold threshold. Or maybe the women in my life are just more susceptible to the cold? I have been like this for years but over the winter it's really started to bug me having the heat on so much in the house, to the point where I get bothered and even sweaty. Females often do feel the cold more than males i believe, (we also often run a slightly lower body temperature). Some people just dont notice the cold much. So maybe it's just normal for you
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies
    • February 18, 2008
    • 11:13 AM
    Flag this Response
  • If you are truly bothered by heat, especially in the summertime, then this signals a more pathological condition according to Traditional Chinese Medicine. The difference is in how you feel - does heat truly bother you to the point of YOUR being uncomfortable? That is a more pathological heat condition. Food therapy can help bring down your internal temp. Stay away from caffeine (as one poster commented), as well as spicy, pungent foods including ginger and cinnamon. Try eating mung beans, barley, job's tears (if you can find this), cucumbers, fresh fennel, watermelon (this is fantastic in the summertime and very cooling). DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • February 18, 2008
    • 07:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Ok, all good advice thanks. I am not so much worried by all this, just baffled as to why I prefer to be in the cold! :)
    tempissue 6 Replies
    • February 20, 2008
    • 01:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i am 30 years old and i too have the same problem.. i do hypothyroid problems but i thought that was supposed to makeyou cold not hot... i get very unconfortable when i am hot and seems like everyone is always colder than me...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 26, 2008
    • 07:24 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have this problem too. It is very frustrating. In the summer, I cannot have the air low enough and even when it gets to a point where I am some what comfortable, when others come in, they are very cold. In winter, in my apartment, if the temp gets above about 68, it feels warm, and if it's above 70, it starts to get uncomfortable. In the summer, when it's 75 or more inside, I physically feel bad...lazy, slight headache, just overall bad feeling... I think I have had mine for years too, but it has slowly been getting worse. It's hard to deal with in real life because, like you have described, your girlfriend and those at your office are cold. Everyone around me is cold and I am hot at the same time. :(
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 28, 2008
    • 11:11 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My mum likes the heating on so it's not her. Dad doesn't mind the cold. Maybe I am a bit like him, have a lower cold threshold. Or maybe the women in my life are just more susceptible to the cold? I have been like this for years but over the winter it's really started to bug me having the heat on so much in the house, to the point where I get bothered and even sweaty.I am always hot too. To the point my girlfriend yells at me for wearing short sleeves in the winter. I get hot at work and everyone cringes when i open the window. I just saw my doctor yesterday and he said something like this is hard to cure but suggested i start taking a antihistamine each day. Even now i know it's 70 in here but it feels like it's 80.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 5, 2008
    • 02:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the exact same problem even though i am a girl, in the winter i walk around in shorts and recently i have found out the reason - My Blood TypeI am blood type O+ which means that i have really thin blood so the blood can get around my body faster than those with blood types a and b. The hotness then causes me to go red and my thin blood means it happens quicker and for longer making Summer veryyyy uncomfortable.Check your blood type out and this might just be your reason :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement