Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Bleeding through skin...HELP!!!

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 23 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 11, 2008
  • 02:49 AM

For about the past week I have been bleeding through the pores in my skin. There are no wounds, no rash, and no irritation. There isn't a lot of blood that comes out. I only know that I'm bleeding when it bleeds through on my clothes or when it dries. There are tiny pin-point drops of blood that I've found on my face, right arm, right hip, and both legs. The bleeding is completely sporadic and is not constant. For two days there have been no signs of the blood. So far there are no signs of internal bleeding. I have been feeling fine, except for the past few days I've been feeling slightly fatigued on and off. I have seen a doctor and he thinks I have some type of rare blood disease. I had a CBC, PTT, and iron deficiency test ran and I should have the results by tomorrow. I don't really bleed or bruise easily when I am injured. The only prescription I take is birth control. I am 21 years old and have always been in good health. I am a little worried about what is going on. Has anyone ever heard of this or have any ideas for what this may be? Thanks!

Reply Flag this Discussion

23 Replies:

• Oh my gosh!!! I can't beilive I found you. I have been experiencing these same sypmtoms for the last 6 months. I don't have any answers yet but will be at mayo clinic next week to see if they can help. Have you learned anything more?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Maybe be screened for Porphyria... perhaps the dr is testing for this? For about the past week I have been bleeding through the pores in my skin. There are no wounds, no rash, and no irritation. There isn't a lot of blood that comes out. I only know that I'm bleeding when it bleeds through on my clothes or when it dries. There are tiny pin-point drops of blood that I've found on my face, right arm, right hip, and both legs. The bleeding is completely sporadic and is not constant. For two days there have been no signs of the blood. So far there are no signs of internal bleeding. I have been feeling fine, except for the past few days I've been feeling slightly fatigued on and off. I have seen a doctor and he thinks I have some type of rare blood disease. I had a CBC, PTT, and iron deficiency test ran and I should have the results by tomorrow. I don't really bleed or bruise easily when I am injured. The only prescription I take is birth control. I am 21 years old and have always been in good health. I am a little worried about what is going on. Has anyone ever heard of this or have any ideas for what this may be? Thanks!
    TaylorDeelwithit 382 Replies Flag this Response
  • Can you explain further about porphyria?
  • The only prescription I take is birth control. What birth control? Is it yasmin? This can be a side effect of certain birth control pills. Some can cause hemorrhagic eruptions. Please post which one you are taking. Doctors don't look at side effects of meds. Please research this on www.drugs.com - I strongly think there is a link here. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • It can be either a genetic or an acquired disease. Triggered by things like some medications/drugs, alcohol, infections, stress, hormones, certain foods, sunlight (for some). Every person with porphyria has their own triggers, but some things tend to cause problems more often then others. Barbituates for instance have often precipitated such attacks. It can involve the skin, liver, bone marrow; the body has a hard time making heme and ends up storing iron in places it shouldn't like the skin or liver, pancreas. It is incurable but depending on the type you have, there are things you can do usually that can help you possible suffer less pain, and suffer less often. Mainly, you then need to avoid the things that trigger the symptoms like certain medications known to often trigger porphyria attacks. http://www.porphyriafoundation.com/about_por/index.htmlhttp://www.porphyriafoundation.com/about_por/testing/index.html http://rarediseases.about.com/cs/porphyria/a/072000.htm Can you explain further about porphyria?
  • It can be either a genetic or an acquired disease. Triggered by things like some medications/drugs, alcohol, infections, stress, hormones, certain foods, sunlight (for some). Every person with porphyria has their own triggers, but some things tend to cause problems more often then others. Barbituates for instance have often precipitated such attacks. It can involve the skin, liver, bone marrow; the body has a hard time making heme and ends up storing iron in places it shouldn't like the skin or liver, pancreas. It is incurable but depending on the type you have, there are things you can do usually that can help you possible suffer less pain, and suffer less often. Mainly, you then need to avoid the things that trigger the symptoms like certain medications known to often trigger porphyria attacks. http://www.porphyriafoundation.com/about_por/index.htmlhttp://www.porphyriafoundation.com/about_por/testing/index.html http://rarediseases.about.com/cs/porphyria/a/072000.htm I think porhyria may be a possible cause, but it is MUCH more likely to be caused by the birth control use IMO. Please consider discontinuing hormonal birth control use, and see if your symptoms improve. This may take over a month to clear from your system. Doctors and patients both are very unaware of all of the vast and varied side effects from birth control pills! Please just rule this out! Best wishesDOM
  • keep in mind though.... porphyria can be triggered by birth control pills. OK some pix... this website has a bunch of links with photos of porphyria skin problems http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/md/porphyria.html
  • keep in mind though.... porphyria can be triggered by birth control pills. OK some pix... this website has a bunch of links with photos of porphyria skin problems http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/md/porphyria.html Taylor,Any ideas as to what causes porphyria? Is it autoimmune?DOM
  • Have any of you been on prednisone or other steroid? I was on it and my husband went to kiss my neck and he kinda sucked, not even hard enough to leave a hickie, but he suddenly tasted blood. (The look on his face was pricelss and I called him Count Brandon for awhile.) Anyway, I thought it might be the prednisone, it can cause capillaries to break, so i D/c'd the med. It stopped after several days. Then I was put back on it and it happened again. So, I am sure that was the problem. Hope you figure it out.Ang
  • From what I have learned so far... since I was dxd. Mines is genetic. But it can be acquired (such as a person can get it from having Hep. C) or inherited (genetic) Wrong Diagnosis has this...http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/p/porphyria/causes.htm Here is more info....http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-porphyria.htm *mentions the vampire thing also :rolleyes: Why test for Porphyria?http://www.nectarine.com.au/othersites/porphyria/whytest.htm Taylor,Any ideas as to what causes porphyria? Is it autoimmune?DOM
  • There is a link to Lupus...I just found this article ... at WIKI...This is explains at least one drug reaction I had... I took a GI drugand wherever the sun hit me I broke out in a horrible rash.Even with a sunscreen.Fortunately I was wearing a hat, sunglasses and long sleeves.I wish I knew then what I now know... I wouldn't have taken so many medications as a young adult Many medicines have made me sicker in the end... I don't tolerate medicines as well as many people seem to-----------------------From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupus_erythematosuson LUPUS ERYTHEMATOSUS "PorphyriaPorphyrias are complex genetic disorders that share many symptoms with lupus, but impact the enzymes responsible for building heme, a component needed in heme proteins. Porphyrias are ecogenic disorders requiring both environmental and genetic backgrounds to manifest with a variety of symptoms and medical complications. They are noted for photosensitivity and have been associated with transient and permanent production of autoantibodies. The five major forms of dominantly inherited porphyrias (acute intermittent porphyria, porphyria cutanea tarda, hereditary coproporphyria, variegate porphyria and erythropoietic protoporphyria) have been detected in systemic lupus erythematosus and discoid lupus patients over the past 50 years. Physicians should have a high degree of suspicion of porphyrias in all lupus cases and act accordingly when patients are in a medical crisis that may be due to an underlying acute hepatic porphyria. Drug-induced lupus and photosensitivity warrant an investigation for an underlying porphyria since multiple drug reactions are a hallmark complication of porphyrias. Patients with both lupus and porphyrias should avoid porphyrinogenic drugs and hormone preparations. Patients with acute hepatic porphyrias (acute intermittent porphyria, hereditary coproporphyria, variegate porphyria) have been detected in lupus patients with severe life-threatening "lupus" complications known as neurolupus. Symptoms are identical to acute hepatic porphyria attacks and include seizures, psychosis, peripheral neuropathy and syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone (SIADH) associated with dangerously low sodium levels (hyponatremia). Porphyria attacks require intervention with intravenous glucose, heme preparations and the discontinuation of dangerous porphyrinogenic drugs including antiseizure drugs. Several other lupus complications have been associated with porphyrias including pancreatitis and pericarditis. Porphyrin testing should be performed on urine, stool/bile and blood to detect all types of porphyrias, and repeat testing should be performed in suspicious cases. Appropriate enzyme tests or DNA testing should also be pursued to obtain a complete diagnosis which could include a dual porphyria." Taylor,Any ideas as to what causes porphyria? Is it autoimmune?DOM
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Maybe be screened for Porphyria... perhaps the dr is testing for this?hmmm.. im not sure if this will help you or if anyone could give me some answers, but recently my docotor noticed that i had a low platelett count and it was continually dropping. he wasnt sure what would be the cause, since i had no changes in diet or anything like that, but the only thing that had changed was that i started taking Yaz birth control. I stopped taking it about a month ago and my platelett count went up a lot. Still, the other day my boyfriend was playfully trying to give me a hickey on my stomach and when he pulled away there was blood. We tried for a while to see if it came from his mouth, but nothing. Is it normal to bleed through your skin from light suction?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 28, 2008
    • 02:18 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hmmm.. im not sure if this will help you or if anyone could give me some answers, but recently my docotor noticed that i had a low platelett count and it was continually dropping. he wasnt sure what would be the cause, since i had no changes in diet or anything like that, but the only thing that had changed was that i started taking Yaz birth control. I stopped taking it about a month ago and my platelett count went up a lot. Still, the other day my boyfriend was playfully trying to give me a hickey on my stomach and when he pulled away there was blood. We tried for a while to see if it came from his mouth, but nothing. Is it normal to bleed through your skin from light suction? Yaz is scary - please look up this med on www.drugs.com or www.rxlist.com. Side effects may take several months to clear from your system. I think this is a rare side effect from Yaz, but am not sure. Are you taking any other meds? DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • September 29, 2008
    • 03:59 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It could possibly be Ebola: worst case scenario. It's incurable and liquifies organs causing blood to escape through any and eventually every opening in your body. If you know anyone who has the same symptoms then it is very likely because it is spread through blood and saliva.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 31, 2009
    • 03:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Maybe be screened for Porphyria... perhaps the dr is testing for this?Oh my gosh... i have the same thing... i was taking Dianne 35 birth control when it happened. Unlike you... i bleed alot. There was no wound or irritation. I found out when my boyfriend sucked lightly on the spot. He was terrified when the entire area including his mouth was drenched with blood. I was never able to receive an explanation till today when i read your problem. Now i recognize it could have been my birth control pill. I also suffer from anaemia so I was always wondering if it was my iron deficiency problem causing it. I think i need to read up some more on this Porphyria illness. I read it is not curable and could be genetic. How do i know for sure? Is it a rare illness cause i dont know anyone else that has this. Now i dont feel so crazy... i told some co-workers today about it and I felt absolutely absurd... i myself had trouble believing what i was saying .. it sounds so crazy! Now i know i am not crazy at all... and it is an actual illness. SJ
  • I can help you guys out this has also happen to me Email me Jonathan.January@live.comBleeding from the pores happens when you have a SUPER UNGODLIKE DREAM!! and your brain makes your muscles 100x stronger you could bind 40" carbon steel no problem... and it forces blood to also harden some way..it which it pushes it out of your pores...the befor you wake your brain blocks all memory of the dream into you sleep once again...
  • hmmm, I've noticed this in the past couple days on my face. Just little red pinpoints of blood that seem to come from no where. And I don't bleed...it takes hours to have blood drawn for a test at the docs. I've recently began Ocella after taking Yaz for a year or so. I've been pretty sick the past two weeks that I've been taking it, and after reading this I'm wondering if that isn't the problem for everything. Can anyone provide a source for the Yasmin causing bleeding through the pores? And what is the medical term for that?Thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 14, 2010
    • 05:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same problem and have been curious too. I thought I'd share something I heard 2 times now and that is that in ancient times people under extreme stress bled through their pores and since then I've noticed that's exactly when it seems to happen to me.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 28, 2010
    • 08:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • For about the past week I have been bleeding through the pores in my skin. There are no wounds, no rash, and no irritation. There isn't a lot of blood that comes out. I only know that I'm bleeding when it bleeds through on my clothes or when it dries. There are tiny pin-point drops of blood that I've found on my face, right arm, right hip, and both legs. The bleeding is completely sporadic and is not constant. For two days there have been no signs of the blood. So far there are no signs of internal bleeding. I have been feeling fine, except for the past few days I've been feeling slightly fatigued on and off. I have seen a doctor and he thinks I have some type of rare blood disease. I had a CBC, PTT, and iron deficiency test ran and I should have the results by tomorrow. I don't really bleed or bruise easily when I am injured. The only prescription I take is birth control. I am 21 years old and have always been in good health. I am a little worried about what is going on. Has anyone ever heard of this or have any ideas for what this may be? Thanks!if yu want to stop this make sure you cream were ever your bleeding is coming from evrey morning and night and this should help you thank you
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 30, 2010
    • 01:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have any of you been on prednisone or other steroid? I was on it and my husband went to kiss my neck and he kinda sucked, not even hard enough to leave a hickie, but he suddenly tasted blood. (The look on his face was pricelss and I called him Count Brandon for awhile.) Anyway, I thought it might be the prednisone, it can cause capillaries to break, so i D/c'd the med. It stopped after several days. Then I was put back on it and it happened again. So, I am sure that was the problem. Hope you figure it out.AngI had the same experience with prednisone.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 20, 2010
    • 09:59 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement