Discussions By Condition: Eye conditions

Pupil changing shape

Posted In: Eye conditions 9 Replies
  • Posted By: spinityeah
  • February 8, 2008
  • 08:59 AM

My right pupil has been changing it's shape on and off over the past month.
It started when I noticed my right eye felt almost "heavy" and slightly haizy (sp?). I looked in the mirror and saw that the pupil in my right eye looked like an ink blot. The bottom of the pupil seemed to be drooping, as if it would droop out of the iris itself. In some ways it appeared like a cat's eye, with a diamond shaped pupil. For a moment I decided I was probably becoming "CatMan" and would soon be fighting crime, which seemed fine--then I realized this was probably not true, and I might have a brain tumor. I called a few people and had an appointment with a well-respected opthamologist in Beverly Hills the next day.
When I met with him the sympton had not repeated. He said I probably got something in my eye that caused it and would be fine. I thanked him, shook his hand like a champion, like the damned olympics, then went home feeling all right.
The next day it began again. It happens for a moment, then stops. Only the right pupil, drooping on and off, blurring my vision. I let it go for days until I started to get quite nervous and again called the fancy doctor. He had me come in the next day and promptly scared me about brain tumors and was ready to prescribe a weeks vacation to Hawaii before my unfortuanate demise. He phoned a Neuro-opthamologist and came back saying it was probably nothing, but I should go see this fancy neuro man when I could.
I set an appointment, and began taking multi vitamins as a last ditch hope. Beautifully it stopped. Vitamins! It must be the vitamins. I laughed and clapped and sang like a mad person for five days until suddenly it started again. Only now it doesn't go on and off so much. Instead my pupil is now misshapen most of the time. It stresses the darned piss out of me.
I applied for health insurance (was previously uninsured) which goes into effect in a week.
Does anybody have any idea what this is?
Thanks.

Reply Flag this Discussion

9 Replies:

• I think this is known as 'peaked pupils'. I looked it up some time ago because I had similar symptoms in childhood (prefectly vertical narrow rectangular pupils in both eyes that would come and go). I never had any vision problem or was taken to see a doctor as I never told my parents about it. I thought it was very cool at the time to have lizard eyes.:cool: It stopped happening when I was 6 or so and never came back. From what I've read about it, it can be caused by eye or head trauma though I don't recall any serious injuries I might have received back then. I am nearly 40 now and my eyes are fine.
    Scotticus 20 Replies
    • February 8, 2008
    • 07:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I thought I was reading my own story. I just got out of the ER. My boss sent me thinking I was having a stroke. At that time we had not noticed the eye change. I had gone in to the dr because of the feeling I was getting. Today I happened to be in front of a mirror when I had one of my "spells" and noticed my eye change. I had the same thought, cats eye. I had an mri done and nothing. They thought my feeling was from migraines, which I do get but this does not hurt just weird. I am looking for an answer as to what this is. Did yours really just go away? I was so glad to know I am not a freak.
    m3178806s 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • My right pupil has been changing it's shape on and off over the past month. It started when I noticed my right eye felt almost "heavy" and slightly haizy (sp?). I looked in the mirror and saw that the pupil in my right eye looked like an ink blot. The bottom of the pupil seemed to be drooping, as if it would droop out of the iris itself. In some ways it appeared like a cat's eye, with a diamond shaped pupil. For a moment I decided I was probably becoming "CatMan" and would soon be fighting crime, which seemed fine--then I realized this was probably not true, and I might have a brain tumor. I called a few people and had an appointment with a well-respected opthamologist in Beverly Hills the next day.When I met with him the sympton had not repeated. He said I probably got something in my eye that caused it and would be fine. I thanked him, shook his hand like a champion, like the damned olympics, then went home feeling all right.The next day it began again. It happens for a moment, then stops. Only the right pupil, drooping on and off, blurring my vision. I let it go for days until I started to get quite nervous and again called the fancy doctor. He had me come in the next day and promptly scared me about brain tumors and was ready to prescribe a weeks vacation to Hawaii before my unfortuanate demise. He phoned a Neuro-opthamologist and came back saying it was probably nothing, but I should go see this fancy neuro man when I could.I set an appointment, and began taking multi vitamins as a last ditch hope. Beautifully it stopped. Vitamins! It must be the vitamins. I laughed and clapped and sang like a mad person for five days until suddenly it started again. Only now it doesn't go on and off so much. Instead my pupil is now misshapen most of the time. It stresses the darned piss out of me.I applied for health insurance (was previously uninsured) which goes into effect in a week. Does anybody have any idea what this is?Thanks.Did that ophthalmologist ever test your eye pressure? I had the same problem with blurry vision and a strangely shaped pupil in 2006. It turned out to be Narrow-Angle Glaucoma which can cause blindness.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I thought I was reading my own story. I just got out of the ER. My boss sent me thinking I was having a stroke. At that time we had not noticed the eye change. I had gone in to the dr because of the feeling I was getting. Today I happened to be in front of a mirror when I had one of my "spells" and noticed my eye change. I had the same thought, cats eye. I had an mri done and nothing. They thought my feeling was from migraines, which I do get but this does not hurt just weird. I am looking for an answer as to what this is. Did yours really just go away? I was so glad to know I am not a freak. Yes it just went away on its own but it occurred over a period of about 2 years or more. I haven't noticed it since but every time I look in the mirror I check my pupils still. I can relate to the feeling of freakdom totally. Imagine having that kind of a memory, and it isn't something one would ever forget, and living with it for decades until I realized that I wasn't turning into lizard/cat boy.
    Scotticus 20 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have had the exact same pupil symptoms that you described for over eight weeks now. I've seen doctors, neurologists, and no one has ever seen or heard of this before. You were the only match that I have found on the entire internet!! My episodes sometimes happen in the right eye, and sometimes in the left, but never at the same time. Did you ever figure out what was going on?My right pupil has been changing it's shape on and off over the past month. It started when I noticed my right eye felt almost "heavy" and slightly haizy (sp?). I looked in the mirror and saw that the pupil in my right eye looked like an ink blot. The bottom of the pupil seemed to be drooping, as if it would droop out of the iris itself. In some ways it appeared like a cat's eye, with a diamond shaped pupil. For a moment I decided I was probably becoming "CatMan" and would soon be fighting crime, which seemed fine--then I realized this was probably not true, and I might have a brain tumor. I called a few people and had an appointment with a well-respected opthamologist in Beverly Hills the next day.When I met with him the sympton had not repeated. He said I probably got something in my eye that caused it and would be fine. I thanked him, shook his hand like a champion, like the damned olympics, then went home feeling all right.The next day it began again. It happens for a moment, then stops. Only the right pupil, drooping on and off, blurring my vision. I let it go for days until I started to get quite nervous and again called the fancy doctor. He had me come in the next day and promptly scared me about brain tumors and was ready to prescribe a weeks vacation to Hawaii before my unfortuanate demise. He phoned a Neuro-opthamologist and came back saying it was probably nothing, but I should go see this fancy neuro man when I could.I set an appointment, and began taking multi vitamins as a last ditch hope. Beautifully it stopped. Vitamins! It must be the vitamins. I laughed and clapped and sang like a mad person for five days until suddenly it started again. Only now it doesn't go on and off so much. Instead my pupil is now misshapen most of the time. It stresses the darned piss out of me.I applied for health insurance (was previously uninsured) which goes into effect in a week. Does anybody have any idea what this is?Thanks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 2, 2010
    • 04:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you ever had Chicken Pox? If you had, it is a called Herpes Ophthalmicus. I went to the top hospital in the country for them to figure it out. Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary diagnosed it. Nothing to worry about.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 29, 2010
    • 03:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I just left the e.r. because my eye was doing the exact same thing, my right eye felt heavy and hazy vision and i looked in the mirror and the pupil was drooped down almost down to the white, needless to say i was scared to death, the doctors ran alot of tests, and it appears that i have no problems, no one could tell me anything, so what could cause the pupil do this? And the problem is it keeps doing it in just my right eye. Can anybody tell me something im worried about this
  • i just recently started experiencing this, people keep telling me brain tumor this and that it could cause a brain anyorizim and stuff i have not gone to a dr. because i currently do not have insurance. now what i must state for myself i dont know if anyone else has ever had these problems as a child, i had severe migraines , to the point where i would throw up from the pain, as i got a little bit older i learned how to take care of the headaches, then when i started working i had to wear my hair up and started getting them again so i would cut my hair off but it didnt help, but i worked through the pain, now im (going to be on saturday)21 and under alot of stress with two children and a husband who works 3, 48 hr shifts a week i dont work but a stay at home mom is a full time job, these headaches with crazy looking pupil and complete temporary blindness in my left eye just started 2 weeks ago comes and goes, makes my eye and left side of my face feel heavy no one in my family has been able to see it yet usually happens when im at home, it did however happen once while i was driving i freaked out because i couldnt see at all out of one eye, however i have noticed a pattern, i start with floaters in my eye then the heaviness then blindness then a splitting migraine headache so bad i almost start to throw up, i have no idea what causes it but as soon as my medicaid goes through im going to the dr. possibly an eye dr. im not sure which i need.
  • Did you ever find out the cause? I have similar issue.
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • November 21, 2014
    • 01:56 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement