Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

severe forearm pain & spasms right arm

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 22 Replies
  • Posted By: barbara6963
  • October 14, 2006
  • 00:30 AM

Physical therapist and General practioner tell me I have tennis & golf elbow. PT put me in greater pain, I'm talking really really take my breath away spasms in my forearm, soreness & tenderness in the lower part of my arm above the elbow, some neck discomfort, pain in my shoulder. I'm so tired of hurting, I'm afraid I am becoming depressed because I can't find any type of relief, where do I go! Anyone have this pain?

Reply Flag this Discussion

22 Replies:

• Hi,I can relate, I went though all the tests, neck, shoulder, arm. At first they were scatching their heading and looking at me. Then just looking at me like I was making it up. The pain was and is awful!! Was on morphine just to get though PT. I think we are finally on to something. I will get back to you as soon as we know something. Hang on... Linda
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 15, 2006
    • 07:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had all these things too! Initially was told I had lifted, gardened, etc. too much and had tennis elbow. Had lots of PT and wore straps, "air casts", wrists supports, bowler's supports, took anti-inflams, had bio-feedback, electric stimluation, etc. to no avail. 7 years later am just dealing with it, but also have increasing numbness in fingers ALL the time, especially if I have my elbows bent at all (ie reading a book and holding it with bent arms results in hands falling asleep, knitting or crocheting causes hands to be numb, holding anything tightly like a paint brush, etc.). Would be interested in any info. out there!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 20, 2006
    • 02:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi from Pittsburgh Pa. I'm 52 years old and in excellent shape and health... but recently I've come down with SEVERE forearm pain... it's gradually gotten worse and I'm just not sure what to do able it. There are times when I think maybe a BOTTLE of asprin might help!!!! But then I manage to go onto something.... I was encouraged to read the 3 posts on here... the one thing I've experienced in addtion to the rest is at night.... it sometimes wakes me up the dull pain I feel... this is causing me sleepless nights!!!!! Anyway... I hope you all feel some relief... and if you come across something that works for the pain... please email me RichDesignBuild@aol.comRich
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 1, 2006
    • 00:20 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I HEAR YOU!! Believe me, this pain will not go away quietly. But first thing in the morning, do some slow, easy stretching. Pay special attention to that arm and shoulder. Your muscles are just like a rubber band - they like to be stretched back and forth! Next, be sure to drink plenty of water during the day to keep your muscles lubricated. Also, treat yourself to a massage. Be sure to tell the masseuse where it's "too tender". Try not to sleep on that side. If you have hurt your joint, see if your doctor might recommend a cortizone injection - instant relief! Hope you fell well soon!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 1, 2006
    • 04:04 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Pain in the elbow can often originate from the back. Sounds unusual but it is true. It might be it is your spine that needs attention Barbara, especially as you are having shoulder and neck pain. If so, stretching and gentle exercises (walking) are the best types of treatment. You could also get a physio or chiropractor to loosen up the vertebrae.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 1, 2006
    • 04:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am finally thinking that I am not alone with all these aches, spasms and pains. All tests performed were negative and doctors don't know what to do with me... no proof of anything no worries... they are not the ones in excruciating pain. This last time, I was sent home without anything for pain!! Next time I see my doctor I will ask for anti-inflammatory (a family member of mine suggested MOBIC) and cortisone shots. I need some relief! And if all that arm, shoulder and neck pain weren't enough, I have muscle aches and stiff joints everywhere else. Some days are worse than others, mostly worse. Mornings and nights are very traumatic! I am 52 and I feel like 92. And about getting depressed... I hear you loud and clear. This all happened in the last year... I was dancing up a storm at my husband's company Christmas party just last year... go figure!!!Good luck all!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 1, 2006
    • 05:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Physical therapist and General practioner tell me I have tennis & golf elbow. PT put me in greater pain, I'm talking really really take my breath away spasms in my forearm, soreness & tenderness in the lower part of my arm above the elbow, some neck discomfort, pain in my shoulder. I'm so tired of hurting, I'm afraid I am becoming depressed because I can't find any type of relief, where do I go! Anyone have this pain?hi/sorry i really am - have suffered severe chronic arm pain/ left shoulder/ neck /full arm /hand/ now it really is chronic stage after years going on/ milder at first pins needles dead ache pain/ constant doc visits/ pain tablet/antiflammitory then physio/now diagnosed c7 disc gone in neck going to await for 2mths more for the nerve root block.then onward to another hospital for studies and neck op. pain comes from these vertbre neck see doc again stress help and diagnotic elecro nerve conduction tests and mri scan to neck this confirms the damage. get back soon/ rose /good luck
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 2, 2006
    • 08:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • In reply to Barbara's original query email regarding pain in neck, right shoulder and forearm. Go to a good Chinese medicine doctor. They will be able to tell you the source of the problem quickly and help remedy it with diet and acupunture. I'm betting if its C1 or C3 (neck) and shoulder is achey and stiff most of the time, it's related to your liver/gall bladder. I've had the same thing, including the forearm muscle tenderness but not to the extent that you have suffered in pain with that area. Take a closer look at the liver/gall bladder, all those areas are in that meridian/channel.
    Babsannie 1 Replies
    • November 9, 2006
    • 08:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i'm only 29 & started feeling all the same problems about 3 wks ago, i finally went to a dr b/c it was an unexplained pain & could not just let it ride any longer. they r sending me 2 a pt dr. i am on two pain recievers now, i just woke up like this 1 day & i've always been healthy, kinda scary. some young ppls at my jobs suggested other therapy, like chinesse dr & what not, i am skeptic, but willing to try pt first & if doesnt work i will try probably anything, i have small kids, 8,7 & 4 & i must keep up. i will let ya know what happens :) good luck to all & i wish u well..god bless
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Look up carpal tunnel, ulnar nerve impingement, fascia release and elbow bursitis for various elbow problems. I thought mine was bursitis also, but it wasn't. My ortho doc said the chance of surgery solving the problem was 50/50. So I had the surgery and the doc said he found that some fascia had torn away and was becoming dead. He cleaned up the area, probably scraping and clipping, and three weeks post-op I stopped having any pain at all. I just have to be careful carrying something like a suitcase. I had several cortisone injections that weren't much fun and it did nothing for the pain. I believe that when something is torn, no medicine or treatment will be effective except surgical repair or removal. But if something is inflamed, alternative might work. If you have had all tests and PT and pain meds aren't effective, ask your ortho doc if you might need a "fascia release".
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies Flag this Response
  • It may be carpal tunnel. I have the same thing, and all I can think of is too much mouse/typing with my right hand. My shoulder hurts sometimes, but mostly it's my right forearm. Hurts more when it's slightly bent for a long period. I lift weights and work out 3-4 times a week and this is starting to interfere with that. All of the sudden I can't lift a 50lb dumbbell with my right arm without a lot of pain. It used to be no problem.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 11, 2007
    • 00:24 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• god! my right arm is severely in pain. what should i do?
  • Try taking 800mg of ibuprofen (not anything else - just ibuprofen). Put some ice on it.
  • For the last 9 months or so I've been waking in the morning with very stiff elbows. I'll wake up with my entire arm laying out straight beside me or stretched out straight above my head so when I make my first movement to the arm getting up it hurts. Well yesterday morning it appeared the pain was in the large forearm muscle and I couldn't bend it when getting out of bed. This morning however I woke with my right arm spread out beside me in a straight position again and I couldn't budge it whatsoever without crying in pain. The pain was the worst ever I can only describe it as trying to stretch your arm with a broken bone. I don't have any broken bones of course but that's what it felt like.I couldn't straighten my arm at all... The tears were rolling down my face in pain and it was so excruciating that I even contemplated calling someone to take me to the ER. Its been 20 mins and I still can't straighten my arm. I'm typing on my cell which allows me to keep my arm in a bent position. I do have a herniated disc in my thoracic and wonder if that's what causing the problem? I will see my Dr on Monday and pray he doesn't make light of my situation. I cried out loud in pain this morning which I have never done before and I seriously doubt that what I have is tennis elbow. Its something awful and I'm terrified to wake up again tomorrow morning. I wish someone else could put a diagnosis on this problem that can understand what I'm going through. Btw I'm a 35 y/o female and once went to see a rhumatologist about the elbow pain and at one point she pressed on the forearm muscle which made me yelp in pain, she said that is common of patients with fibromiolgia to hurt when a muscle is tender to the touch. I wish someone had an explanation for me.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 9, 2008
    • 03:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Has anyone mentioned Radial Tunnel Syndrome? or possibly Double Crush? meaning Radial Tunnel Syndrome along with Herniated discs, probably c5-c6, c6-c7? I finally got a diagnosis after several years of arguing AGAINST the diagnosis of tennis elbow. Radial Tunnel is not common but is very real.Good Luck
    newkid58 1 Replies
    • October 14, 2008
    • 01:22 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am only 19 yrs old..... every morning no matter what are i sleep with under my pillow will be locked and i get to a crying/yelling point every morning i straighten it this has been going on and off for about a month and a half...... does any one know what is wrong with me or have the same thing.... because i dread going to sleep at night because i know i will wake up in so much pain...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 17, 2008
    • 07:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I also have very severe forearm pain which seems to start from the shoulder blade and works its way down to my fingers which are very numb and feel like they were burned. I didnt start feeling any pain at all until Dec.2nd 2008. The only thing I can remember doing was lifting boxes of xmas items from the rafters of my garage on Dec. 1st. After that the pain has gotten to where I cannot sleep for more the half an hour most then Im up for hours before I may be able to doze off again. I have been to the emergeny room twice for xrays and all they said was they found a little arthritis which I probably expected since Im 63 years old and they gave me a shot of Morphine the 2nd time and a muscle relaxer also Skelaxin 800mm, Naploxen 500mg and Percocet 10/mg/325mg, all have not helped at all. I have went to my Dr. and he gave me Ibuprofen 800mg and Oxycodone and a shot in the rear which only helped for a couple of hours. He sent me to an Orthopedic Surgeon and he also took xrays and said there was a small amount of arthritis and he sent me for Physical Therepy which only made the problem worse. I have been waiting to go for a MRI which I have to get an OK for from my Insurance, so far over two weeks waiting. Called the Orthopedic Surgeon again today and I am going for an MRI tomorrow without the OK. Jan. 6th, 2008. I am hoping they find something real soon! I dont know how much pain someone can have before having a heart attack or some other type of problems. I would just like to get a good nights sleep.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 5, 2009
    • 09:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am just amazed because you are describing how I feel WQhat in the heck is this?????Hi from Pittsburgh Pa. I'm 52 years old and in excellent shape and health... but recently I've come down with SEVERE forearm pain... it's gradually gotten worse and I'm just not sure what to do able it. There are times when I think maybe a BOTTLE of asprin might help!!!! But then I manage to go onto something.... I was encouraged to read the 3 posts on here... the one thing I've experienced in addtion to the rest is at night.... it sometimes wakes me up the dull pain I feel... this is causing me sleepless nights!!!!! Anyway... I hope you all feel some relief... and if you come across something that works for the pain... please email me RichDesignBuild@aol.comRich
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 2, 2009
    • 04:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i'm only 29 & started feeling all the same problems about 3 wks ago, i finally went to a dr b/c it was an unexplained pain & could not just let it ride any longer. they r sending me 2 a pt dr. i am on two pain recievers now, i just woke up like this 1 day & i've always been healthy, kinda scary. some young ppls at my jobs suggested other therapy, like chinesse dr & what not, i am skeptic, but willing to try pt first & if doesnt work i will try probably anything, i have small kids, 8,7 & 4 & i must keep up. i will let ya know what happens :) good luck to all & i wish u well..god blessOf course, they may also want to study differences between diabetics and non-diabetics, different cultures, middle age and old age... you get the picture. We'll never know how everyone is going to perceive a heart attack, so it's up to you.http://www.theintelligentwomen.com/left-arm-pain-in-women/take care
  • I started experiencing this out of the blue one day too; let it go for about 2 months, only got worse, to the point where my right forearm would spasm at list 2-3 times almost every minute; couldn't do simple things like hold a pencil or phone without it acting up, I got tired of it and went to my chiropracter; I started reading about MS and Lou Gherigs disease, etc.. freaked myself out; instead, I have a pinched nerve in my neck, would have never guessed it; I have been to him every other day for the last 2 weeks, and it has helped immensely, the spasm is barely there now and almost completely gone; hope this helps! Another good tip he gave me was to up my potassium and eat more bananas.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 15, 2010
    • 09:04 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement