Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

phantom smell - driving me crazy

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Acanthus
  • February 8, 2008
  • 08:27 AM

For a month I have been enveloped in a fog of this sickly sweet chemical-type odor. I smell it on my clothes, on my body, at home and at work. People around me say they smell nothing.
I sprayed Hartz flea spray in my house a month ago & at first it was an agreeable smell & I thought it would dissipate over time. Because of the timing, I believe it is this smell that is overwhelming me. However, when researching the chemicals that are in the product, nothing shows up like a persistent odor. It warns to watch for neurological or respiratory side effects - and I do not have any of that. Looking up permethrin, it says it metabolizes in 12 days. This has been going on for a month.
Spraying fabreeze over everything made it worse. I have put baking powder everywhere, vacuumed, thrown away bedding, rugs, and furniture covers. I have washed my clothes over and over again and finally thrown some of them away.
I've checked my dentist because of a recent root canal, thinking it might be leaking medicine into my mouth. They took x-rays and said the tooth looked intact. My blood tests don't show anything abnormal. My health is otherwise unremarkable.
I can smell it on my hands and it seems to emit from me and from clothing and furniture I am around.
Other smells remain the same. I have cats and a dog. The organic smells associated with them (litter box, etc.) are easily identifiable. I can smell food and coffee. The taste of some things I am eating can suddenly change mid-swallow because a wave of the chemically smell can engulf. I totally quit drinking Diet Coke (not a bad thing) over a week ago.
If you have any ideas or have heard of this happening to anyone else, please let me know.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement