Discussions By Condition: Muscle conditions

Joint pain, knee/ankle locking, joints giving out...

Posted In: Muscle conditions 4 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 8, 2008
  • 07:24 AM

Hi everyone,
I have the following symptoms:
- Extremely painful "growing pains" that will last for hours. They occur all throughout my legs (ankles, calves, above and behind my knees, thighs). Massaging/stretching doesn't help, it makes them hurt more
- My knees and ankles will often lock up while I'm moving. If I don't notice right away and continue moving, they'll crack and unlock, but it's very painful.
- My joints are constantly cracking painfully
- My knees have recently been giving out. It's happened while I've been walking and running.
- My knees hurt/ache a lot when they get cold (I automatically thought arthritis, but I don't think that's it)
- When I was younger (this hasn't happened in a while) after I ran around for a bit and stopped, I could barely walk my legs hurt so bad. They didn't hurt while I was running, but once I stopped they did.

Does anyone know what could be going on? I've been told "it's just growing pains.." but this has been going on for 7+ years (I'm now 17). My "growing pain" episodes are really painful. Ibuprofen and other similar drugs do absolutely nothing.
Is this just growing pains, or is it maybe something else?

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• what kind of doctors have you seen? you might want to try and get some kind of biomechanical examination from a podiatrist or a orthoticist its possible that you are suffering from some kind of mechanical or alignment problem can see or sense anything like poor alignment of you lower limbs. Have you deen cheched for juvenile onset arthritis.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 8, 2008
    • 08:16 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i have that painful ankle lock up too, and was told rheumatoid arthritis, by one doc, and just weak ankles by another ( i dont thin its either one). funny you mention leg cramps too like growing pains, i get them once in awhile, lasts hours or days. your other symptoms i dont have, but may be same problem. you are the only one i have heard of that has that ankle problem as i do. I get it when i run usually, though have had it from walking up and down curbs one day a few months ago ( foot angled up and down with pressure) It is acute pins and needles as you say, then i can walk it off usually in minutes. If you find out, let me know what it is. I have a posting too with like symptoms wondering what it is
    prone2injury 28 Replies Flag this Response
  • i hurt my ankle, the ER said sprained but weren't sure if their was any other damage as the sweelign was still too much by the time they discarged me, back on December 21st 2009. My ankle has never fully felt or been back to normal but now my ankle and the ligaments and tendons lock up on me , when i rotate my ankle it sounds like a bunch of bad gears grinding together and it makes this awful clicking sound occassionally when i sit with my legs crossed and tap my ankle in the air. It cracks painfully sometimes but starting a few days ago Ibroupen 800 didn't even put a dent in the discomfort and pain, and the locking up got to the point that i could not bear weight on my right leg at all and my heel was stuck in the position as if i had a high heel show on, i iced it and the muscle unlocked but . i know where you guys are coming from and am trying to find out what is actually goin gon with my ankle . I actually think that it was broken even a hairline fracture and it didn't heal correctly , but that is just my guess at what is wrong with it. I hope you all find out what is wrong with your ankles as well as i find out about mine please post what you found out and i will do the same.
    Dawnhthewolf 1 Replies
    • September 16, 2010
    • 06:11 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi,I also have the "growing pain" like aches in my ankles, knees and wrists. It's very uncomfortable, painful and keeps me from sleeping most nights of the week. I have no idea what it is. I'm not even sure what kind of Doctor I would see to have it checked out. I was thinking it may be some vitamin or nutrient defiency but I'm not sure. Did you figure out what is going on?
    zebrachica21 1 Replies
    • October 2, 2011
    • 07:26 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement