Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Numbness in left arm, lump below ear and ringing in ear

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 13 Replies
  • Posted By: Seth H
  • February 7, 2008
  • 07:48 PM

These are my symptoms and what I have been treated for and diagnosis can someone give me some in sight.

Symptoms
1. Tingling in left arm especially around ring and pinky finger
2. Ringing in left ear.
3. Lump just below left ear behind jaw.
4. Dizziness
5. Fatigue
6. Mild tooth pain
7. Drainage from ear
8. Severe headaches behind eye.
9. Mild chest pains.

Treatments and doctor visits

1. CVS Minute Care - Ear infection - Amoxcillin / Clavulanic Acid - So sick at the time forgot Pencillon has no effect on me.

2. Emergency Room Visit - Developed chest pains and numbness in arm, blurred vision, puffy face and left side of body went numb. - EKG, MRI of Brain and spinal cord, chest xray all com back negative for heart attack or stroke - ER doctor says Mastoids are filled and gives me Methylprednisolone, follow up with ENT

3. Changed anitbiotic to erythromycin sympton cleared up a little.

4. ENT visit - Said that the tingling in arms and numbness couldn't be cause of anything related to ear and lump in throat - told to continue on with antibiotics and see primary care.

5. Don't have primary care so went to someone that was recommended. She took a look at me and all the stuff from er and blood work and came up with Anixiety Disorder - prescribed xanax and said that I should be okay.

6. Waited about a week problems continued went to dentist think might be something dental - had 3 root canals performed two on the left upper side where all the ear and sinus problems are.

7. Now Thursday - 3 days after root canals and thing still the same. Spoke to ENT yesterday switched yesterday to a new antibiotic Clarithromycin, also switced from from Claritin-d to Zyrtec, Mucinex and regular sudifed. Best nights sleep in a long time.

Also doing a needy pot, a lypmnoid flush, along with extra echinaci, ester-c and zinc. Along with rinsing ear with hydrogen peroxide and washing out mouth with hydrogen peroxide. Also taking Collidial Silver.

I have no insurance can some please take a look at this and tell me if I am going in the right direction ????

Thanks,

Seth

Reply Flag this Discussion

13 Replies:

• Yikes! no insurance and 3 root canals...I think that is where it all started kiddo...you might need long term antibiotics because it could have gone into your bones and just about everywhere., causing a temporary infection in your heart, too..it might calm down in a few weeks with the antibiotics. The lump in neck might be a goiter and that is an endocrinologist...I would imagine an ENT man would have recognized it and suggested it...you might have to quit your job and live with someone for a month just so you can get your state's insurance if this continues...
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • February 7, 2008
    • 09:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks man for the thoughts, I am self employed so quiting my job isn't an option. HAHA. I do hope it all stems from the infection from the root canal, odd thing is though they weren't hurting at all. And all of this came on real sudden. Doing a little better today, the ringing in the ear goes and comes but is not as intense as it has been just real tired and fatigued today, I think it has something to do with the Zyrtec and Mucinex. Today the ear is greatly stopped up and can't get it to drain. Filling alot of pressure behind it. Maybe the antibiotics will kick in and save me. Praying.Seth
    Seth H 4 Replies
    • February 7, 2008
    • 09:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've never had a waxing of the ear canel but maybe you have a lot of wax...acupuncture could bring energy up to the ear/mouth area...you may want to consider it...
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • February 8, 2008
    • 00:29 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I think you still have some mastoiditis, which is difficult to cure. The diagnosis of mastoiditis is clinical—based on the medical history and physical examination. Imaging studies may provide additional information; the study of choice is the CT scan, which may show focal destruction of the bone or signs of an abscess (a pocket of infection). X-rays are not as useful. If there is drainage, it is often sent for culture, although this will often be negative if the patient has begun taking antibiotics.The pathophysiology of mastoiditis is straightforward: bacteria spread from the middle ear to the mastoid air cells, where the inflammation causes damage to the bony structures. The bacteria most commonly observed to cause mastoiditis are Streptococcus pneumoniae, Streptococcus pyogenes, Staphylococcus aureus, and gram-negativebacilli. Other bacteria include Moraxella catarrhalis, Streptococcus pyogenes, and rarely, Mycobacterium species. Some mastoiditis is caused by cholesteatoma, which is a sac of keratinizing squamous epithelium in the middle ear that usually results from repeated middle-ear infections. If left untreated, the cholesteatoma can erode into the mastoid process, producing mastoiditis, as well as other complications. TreatmentThe primary treatment for mastoiditis is administration of intravenous antibiotics. Initially, broad-spectrum antibiotics are given, such as Ceftriaxone (Rocephin). As culture results become available, treatment can be switched to more specific antibiotics. Long-term antibiotics may be necessary to completely eradicate the infection. If the condition does not quickly improve with antibiotics, surgical procedures may be performed (while continuing the medication). The most common procedure is a myringotomy, a small incision in the tympanic membrane (eardrum), or the insertion of a tympanostomy tube into the eardrum. These serve to drain the pus from the middle ear, helping to treat the infection. The tube is extruded spontaneously after a few weeks to months, and the incision heals naturally. If there are complications, or the mastoiditis does not respond to the above treatments, it may be necessary to perform a mastoidectomy in which a portion of the bone is removed and the infection drained. PrognosisWith prompt treatment, it is possible to cure mastoiditis. Seeking medical care early is important. However, it is difficult for antibiotics to penetrate to the interior of the mastoid process and so it may not be easy to cure the infection; it also may recur. Mastoiditis has many possible complications, all connected to the infection spreading to surrounding structures. Hearing loss may result, or inflammation of the labyrinth of the inner ear (labyrinthitis) may occur, producing vertigo. The infection may also spread to the facial nerve (cranial nerve VII), causing facial-nerve palsy which can produce weakness or paralysis of some facial muscles on that side of the face. Other complications include Bezold's abscess, an abscess (a collection of pus surrounded by inflamed tissue) behind the sternocleidomastoid muscle in the neck, or a subperiosteal abscess, between the periosteum and mastoid bone ( resulting in the typical appearance of a protruding ear). Serious complications result if the infection spreads to the brain. These include meningitis (inflammation of the protective membranes surrounding the brain), epidural abscess (abscess between the skull and outer membrane of the brain), dural venous thrombophlebitis (inflammation of the venous structures of the brain), or brain abscess.
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies
    • February 8, 2008
    • 11:36 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for you response. I am on the third day of clarithormycin. It is starting to fill a little better, might just be a placebo effect not sure. The zrytec is really causing alot of drowsiness and tiredness. Just taking it one day at a time. If things don't improve over the weekend I am going to go back to see the ent next week.Thanks for all you help,Seth
    Seth H 4 Replies
    • February 8, 2008
    • 05:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • You may have mastoiditis or a cholesteatoma (benign tumor that eats away at the bones in your ear..caused by ear infections). you would prob have to have surgery to remove cholesteatomas, antibiotics won't make them go away, just make you feel better and they clear up the infection. your symptoms sound very much like my husbands. he has had mutiple surgeries for this over the years, pain in jaw, ringing, ear infections, lump under ear and he had numbness in his face and is having another one tommorrow...the infection ate away at the bone between his mastoid and his brain. You should really see a HEAD AND NECK SURGEON, they will be able to order the proper test to determine what is going on, IAC (intraudiotory canal) CT and MRI with and without contrast. you should definitely see head and neck surgeon, especially with the numbness you are experiencing, they deal with ears, mastoids, plus stuff with your neck that may be causing the numbness. Don't waste your time with regular ent. Good luck!
    angelspring 1 Replies
    • February 26, 2008
    • 00:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Well thanks for the ideas, thing have been getting alot better lately, I am on the process of getting some insurance so I can get checked out throughly. I was diagnosed with anxiety order so getting on state cover health coverage is easy now. I went back to the ent last week and I have a small hole in my ear drum, lump is still their though it varies in size from day to day. Then today, I just had 4 more cavities filled one was really deep on the side that the ear infection was on and they said it was right up against the nerve and close to a root canal. I fill a little better each day. Coming off the anitbiotics in a few days we shall see what is going to happen from their. Still on the collidiale silver with the needy pot and that stuff rocks, clears up the sinuses and really does a good job. Things are a lot better when it is a sunny day than when it is cold a rainny, maybe I just moved to the bahamas.Thanks,Seth
    Seth H 4 Replies
    • February 26, 2008
    • 01:38 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I was pretty upset to hear they wrote this off as anxiety, but I guess it's helping you get insurance so at least there's a silver lining to that error in judgment.I agree with angelspring- I think you definitely need some kind of imaging of your head and neck areas. The reason i say this is because of the numbness and tingling in your hand and arm. The nerves going down to your hands and arm are in your neck, and the numbness may be evidence that there is something structural going on- i.e. a tumor.Hopefully with the new insurance they will be willing to order one.Best Wishes.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 26, 2008
    • 06:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for the info, I just went on to zoloft today and wow what a difference in the mood all the sudden not really concertrating on the year thing. Come of the Clarithryomician tommorow and will see how that goes. The thing that really takes the ringing out of the year is the needy pot, still have some numbness in hand ever once and awhile and puffyness behind ear but zyrtexc seems to finish that off. As far as mri and ct scans, when I origianlly went to the er I had an mri of my brain and neck with and without contrast both the regular physician and ent have looked at them and see nothing wrong. I wish there was a way to post them hear and maybe some else could take a look at them.Seth
    Seth H 4 Replies
    • February 26, 2008
    • 08:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Good to hear you already had the imaging!Sounds like there isn't anything structural/tumor going on.Not sure what else this could be.It sounds like the new medication might be helpful for some symptoms. Hopefully they will figure out the others.Best Wishes!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 27, 2008
    • 00:53 AM
    Flag this Response
  • The many symptoms could be unrelated. But If I were your husband, i would get a neck xray by an orthopedist. The ringing in the ears, and the arm numbness, could be a herniated disc in his neck, and the lumps an infection from some other related cause.
    jeaniebean2 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• These are my symptoms and what I have been treated for and diagnosis can someone give me some in sight.Symptoms1. Tingling in left arm especially around ring and pinky finger2. Ringing in left ear.3. Lump just below left ear behind jaw.4. Dizziness5. Fatigue6. Mild tooth pain7. Drainage from ear8. Severe headaches behind eye.9. Mild chest pains.Treatments and doctor visits1. CVS Minute Care - Ear infection - Amoxcillin / Clavulanic Acid - So sick at the time forgot Pencillon has no effect on me.2. Emergency Room Visit - Developed chest pains and numbness in arm, blurred vision, puffy face and left side of body went numb. - EKG, MRI of Brain and spinal cord, chest xray all com back negative for heart attack or stroke - ER doctor says Mastoids are filled and gives me Methylprednisolone, follow up with ENT3. Changed anitbiotic to erythromycin sympton cleared up a little.4. ENT visit - Said that the tingling in arms and numbness couldn't be cause of anything related to ear and lump in throat - told to continue on with antibiotics and see primary care.5. Don't have primary care so went to someone that was recommended. She took a look at me and all the stuff from er and blood work and came up with Anixiety Disorder - prescribed xanax and said that I should be okay.6. Waited about a week problems continued went to dentist think might be something dental - had 3 root canals performed two on the left upper side where all the ear and sinus problems are.7. Now Thursday - 3 days after root canals and thing still the same. Spoke to ENT yesterday switched yesterday to a new antibiotic Clarithromycin, also switced from from Claritin-d to Zyrtec, Mucinex and regular sudifed. Best nights sleep in a long time. Also doing a needy pot, a lypmnoid flush, along with extra echinaci, ester-c and zinc. Along with rinsing ear with hydrogen peroxide and washing out mouth with hydrogen peroxide. Also taking Collidial Silver.I have no insurance can some please take a look at this and tell me if I am going in the right direction ????Thanks,SethMastoiditis complication bezold's abscess(lump in neck) retroorbital pain another complication of mastoiditis called petrous apicitis serious stuff get an ENT that is also a neurtologist not neorologist good luck, ringing in ear tinnitis also secondary to mastoiditis antibiotics can improve but usually surgery,drainage and vertigo also caused by mastoiditis,once mastoiditis settles into the temporal bone it creates a lump bezolds it's rare, the lump is on the neck and is painful, lots of luck
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 26, 2009
    • 11:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had the same thing including other symptoms Except the lump under the ear but we just found out we have sever mold in are bathroom and we have to move! That's why I have been severely sick! I HAVE develop acid reflex disease because of the mold!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 5, 2011
    • 03:39 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement