Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Chest pressure and jaw pain middle of the night.

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 61 Replies
  • Posted By: lara jawanski
  • February 7, 2008
  • 02:36 PM

I have had some symptoms that are similar to a heart attack, but I don't have any shortness of breath or arm pain. I am 48 years old and female. It usually happens at 2-5 a.m. while I'm sleeping. It starts with jaw pain (usually on the right side) and lower teeth pain. Sometimes I feel pain in my right side of my neck. Then I get chest pressure, like someone is sitting on my chest between my breastbones. I usually get up and take a few aspirin, hoping that it will go away. It usually lasts 15 minutes or so. Then it goes away. It never happens when I am active - always when I am relaxed or sleeping.

I have even had this when I was on vacation with my husband fishing - about as relaxed as a person can get - and I had this happen to me.

When I check symptoms, it usually shows angina or heart attack or panic/anxiety attack. I don't feel like I have lost control of my world or anything like that, I just get worried when it happens.

Anyone have any ideas - when I check angina or heart attack, it really doesn't sound like what is happening to me.

I had this happen aproximately 10 times in the last 10 years.

Thanks!

Lara

Reply Flag this Discussion

61 Replies:

• Been to a doctor? They would be the ones to help you. I'm not sure what it could be. Are you a smoker? I gets pains sometimes when i'm smoking. Or you could have a bad chest hook that feels like it's your heart.
    vfemmes 9 Replies
    • February 7, 2008
    • 07:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • No, I don't smoke. Haven't been to a doctor because it doesn't happen all the time. I guess I should go in and get it checked out. What is a chest hook? Thanks!Lara
    lara jawanski 19 Replies
    • February 7, 2008
    • 07:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • As with men, women's most common heart attack symptom is chest pain or discomfort. But women are somewhat more likely than men to experience some of the other common symptoms, particularly shortness of breath, nausea/vomiting, and back or .
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies
    • February 8, 2008
    • 00:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • That last word was JAW. Go see a doctor right away.
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies
    • February 8, 2008
    • 00:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I don't understand why it only happens when I am at rest, sleeping or relaxing. I thought heart problems show up when people are in the middle of activity and quits when they rest. Also, I drink 3-4 cups of coffee per day - could this be the problem - or aggrevate it? I also checked out anxiety or panic attacks and that doesn't sound like anything that has been happening to me. I should get it checked out, but when I check symptoms of heart problems, I don't have shortness of breath or any other symptoms. The pain starts in the lower right jaw and radiates to my right side of my neck. It starts slow and in 30 seconds or so, my chest starts hurting, like a crushing feeling. Right in the center of the chestbone. It feels like thrre is a heavy weight pressing on it. That's when I get up and take two aspirins. It lasts from 3-15 minutes and then fades away. I will have to get this checked out. Thank you for your input!!!! Lara
    lara jawanski 19 Replies
    • February 8, 2008
    • 02:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Go to doctor ASAP! You might be having symptoms from stress or something, but you have enough symptoms of a heart problem for it to be worth a trip to the doctor. Your husband will thank you for it. It's better to deal with it now, before you have something serious happen!
    jmr2000 8 Replies
    • February 8, 2008
    • 03:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • along with the doctor, see a good dentist and see if he can find anything..
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • February 8, 2008
    • 07:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I already went to a dentist and had basic dental work done - cavities filled. Nothing else was found. Thanks for replying! Lara
    lara jawanski 19 Replies
    • February 8, 2008
    • 07:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Does anyone know how a doctor can find out if you have heart disease or a heart problem if I haven't had a problem in a week or two? Are there special tests they can do? Thanks! Lara
    lara jawanski 19 Replies
    • February 9, 2008
    • 08:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • the best non-evasive test is called the Electron Beam Tomography Angiography (EBTA)...you'll have to do a google seach in a city near you. Most insurance won't pay for it...will find stuff that all the other tests can't find.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • February 9, 2008
    • 08:57 PM
    Flag this Response
  • If the pain in your chest and jaw is waking you at night it is possibly what is know as unstable angina. Please see a doctor.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 10, 2008
    • 07:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Again like everyone is telling you, go see your doctor right now and get a stress test. Women do NOT have the same symtoms as men. When my wife had her heart attack, she was woken up in the middle of the night 2 nights in a row with pain in her back. The second night she woke me up to rub her back and when I heard the story, I called the ambulance. The cardiologist in the ER told me she was not having a heart attack since the blood work and EKG showed normal. I stuck to my guns and would not let them release her until the second set of blood work came back (they should do 2 tests about 6 hours apart to look for muscle damage). Before the second test came back the nurse who had a quick test kit, told me that she had gotten a positive. When the lab work came back, she was having a heart attack and was immediately given a heart cath which showed she had 2 ea. 100% blockages that had been there for so long that they had developed their own bypasses. Bottom line, if you want to die keep ignoring the advice to see a doctor. I know you are afraid that he is going to find something but it is MUCH better to find it while you are alive and kicking than to find it later. As for the symptoms only occurring at night, how many times have you heard of someone dying in their sleep? Two of my heart attacks occurred during the day but the third occurred in the middle of the night. And mine is also a case of the doctor saying that he could not find anything but I would not let it go until they ran a heart cath. Guess what? A 4 way bypass 4 weeks to the day after they kept me in the hospital for 3 days running tests and then telling me that there was nothing wrong. If you are taking a baby asprin and the pain goes away, get to the ER. The symptoms can occur only at night because your at rest and your heart is NOT pumping as hard as normal which causes less blood flow through the blockage. Go, Go, Go.....
    MikeMc 2 Replies
    • February 11, 2008
    • 02:58 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It almost always happens in the middle of the night - 2 am - 5 am. It starts with some pain the right jaw right under my teeth. I can feel it move to the center of my mouth. Sometimes it moves to my right side of my neck and I can feel my heartbeat throbbing there. It always moves then to the center of my chest and feels like something is sitting on my chest or crushing my chest. It seems like it happens sometimes when I have something going on in my life, like hosting a big family get-together or too much on my mind that I have to get done. Thanks for your input! I will make an appointment with a doctor and see if they can help me. I will post any findings on here. THANK YOU!Lara
    lara jawanski 19 Replies
    • February 11, 2008
    • 01:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I wish you well.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 11, 2008
    • 02:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have a doctor's appointment for Tuesday. I will let you know what we find out. Thanks!!!! Lara
    lara jawanski 19 Replies
    • February 12, 2008
    • 11:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Just came back from the doctor's office - he thinks it is acid reflux. I'm not sure. Blood pressure is normal. He checked my heart and lungs and they were normal. They did an ECG and it came out normal. They are going to do a cholesterol check tomorrow morning. He thought that when I had pain and got up to take the aspirin, that the getting up was what fixed the problem and not the aspirin. I really trust this doctor, but am concerned because why do I have jaw pain at first. Also, when I was fishing, I was sitting upright. I also looked up acid reflux symptoms and I don't have heartburn or burning with the attacks. He thought it was acid reflux causing a spasm. I've had an attack in the morning 8-9 a.m. - hadn't eaten anything since supper the evening before. That's why I'm not sure if acid reflux sounds right. He did have a good point that if it was heart related, it would happen more frequently. (I've had this happen since 15 years ago - approximately one time each year.) This year I had it happen three times. Anyone have any ideas? Does this sound right?
    lara jawanski 19 Replies
    • February 20, 2008
    • 01:27 AM
    Flag this Response
  • What are ES, Microwave/EMR Sickness? I just am not satisfied that the doctor says it is acid reflux causing a spasm. Why don't I have heartburn or indigestion. I have heartburn maybe once a year - and not at the same time or before the chest and jaw pain. Is there any blood test that they can take to make sure it isn't the heart? Or is there a test to confirm that it is acid reflux? Also, if it is acid reflux, what do I do to prevent the chest pain?
    lara jawanski 19 Replies
    • February 20, 2008
    • 03:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It almost always happens in the middle of the night - 2 am - 5 am. It starts with some pain the right jaw right under my teeth. I can feel it move to the center of my mouth. Sometimes it moves to my right side of my neck and I can feel my heartbeat throbbing there. It always moves then to the center of my chest and feels like something is sitting on my chest or crushing my chest. It seems like it happens sometimes when I have something going on in my life, like hosting a big family get-together or too much on my mind that I have to get done. Thanks for your input! I will make an appointment with a doctor and see if they can help me. I will post any findings on here. THANK YOU! Lara Hi Lara, Has anyone mentioned Trigeminal neuralgia or Atypical facial pain, Jaw pain ? I have been suffering this for 11years now, during a attack of this about 5 yrs back i was brought to accident & emergency where they found my oxygen levels had dropped low, they give me oxygen & the pain eventually eased. I have now been supplied with oxygen at home for this. Its all a very complicated story "horror story" & its very difficult to treat & would drive one to the point of suicide. I do not suffer chest pain but i do find it difficult to breath & my heart beat is irrigular, i can also hear the blood gushing in my ears with every beat. They have now found that i do have hole in my heart but they say this is not the problem. The doctors are frustrating & it has been a real struggle to get them to find the cause, they really just want to treat the symptoms as they arise by firing all sorts of drugs that wreck your head but dont kill the pain. After 11 years of getting no-where fast & doctors having selective hearing, i eventually went private, this doctor actually listened to what i was saying & is now looking past the original diagnosis which was TN (trigeminal neuralgia) and actually looking into finding out why i am being starved of oxygen..............at last !!! I believe that the drop in oxygen level in my blood is why i am having this jaw pain, I also believe for some reason i am not breathing right when i am sleeping (maybe sleep apnea) i sleep for 2 hrs then it starts, pain for 1 hr then sleep again for 1 hr then another attack, this continues throughout the night...............im exhausted ! When you are suffering your jaw pain sit up straight in bed & try deep breathing (calmly) & see if this helps..........also during a attack get your husband to call emergency services get them to put you on a sats machine it will let you know if your oxygen levels have dropped. Dont suffer this as i have done, i live on my own & become too ill to call for help, i cant talk or help myself during it & when you try to tell your doctor after the event it is difficult to get them to listen to you, they need to see it first hand. I hope this is in some helpful to you. I really really wish you good luck. Ruth x
    Tootsie 628 Replies
    • February 20, 2008
    • 08:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It almost always happens in the middle of the night - 2 am - 5 am. It starts with some pain the right jaw right under my teeth. I can feel it move to the center of my mouth. Sometimes it moves to my right side of my neck and I can feel my heartbeat throbbing there. It always moves then to the center of my chest and feels like something is sitting on my chest or crushing my chest. It seems like it happens sometimes when I have something going on in my life, like hosting a big family get-together or too much on my mind that I have to get done. Thanks for your input! I will make an appointment with a doctor and see if they can help me. I will post any findings on here. THANK YOU! Lara Hi Lara, this is my second draft, took ages on the first one & lost it because i was signed out............aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh lol So this is the short version..........Has anyone mentioned TN (trigeminal neuralgia) or Atypical Facial pain to you ? sounds pretty like it ! i have been diagnoised with this although it has now been found that my oxygen levels or falling low & i think this is what is triggering my facial pain. Cutting a very long story short.........on the onset of your pain get your husband to call emergency services they will put you on a sats machine this will measure your oxygen level........this could explain why u r feeling pain in your chest. I live on my own & become too ill to talk or call for help......dont suffer this. The doctors need to see first hand what is happening to you ! I have oxygen now at home to take. Also try deep breathing (calmly) even go to open window & breath deeply, but really you do need to find out first if your oxygen blood sats or dipping for some reason. I can tell you more if you need it. I really hope this is some help to you & i wish you well ! Hope im not signed out again & loose this. Ruth x
    Tootsie 628 Replies
    • February 20, 2008
    • 08:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My pain in the jaw is the beginning of the chest pain. It starts with soreness on the right side of my mouth - under the teeth. Then the jaw pain goes away and radiates into the chest. That's when I get the strong pressure, crushing pain in the middle of my chest. I think it may be something to do with lack of oxygen to my heart or stress. My face doesn't get sensitive to the touch. I just looked up the trigeminal neuralgia that you mentioned, and it sounds like it's not quite what I'm experiencing. My jaw pain only lasts a few seconds, as a beginning to the chest pain. It isn't sensitive to the touch. Sounds like a bad thiing to be diagnosed with. Thank you for your input - I will look into it more. Lara
    lara jawanski 19 Replies
    • February 20, 2008
    • 09:06 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement