Discussions By Condition: Mouth conditions

Bumps on Back of Tongue

Posted In: Mouth conditions 61 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 1, 2008
  • 06:28 PM

Hello,

I've been worried for a few days now...

I'm quite worried about a bunch of bumps I have on my tongue. So far I've read that Papillae on the back of the tongue tend to be larger. I had my brother take out his tongue and his had them too, but half the size.

Could it be this? http://www.library.vcu.edu/cfapps/tml/oralpathology/browse_oral.cfm?type=soft&display=long&startrow=24

What does this look like to you? Something to worry about? Something to visit a doctor for?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/Tsachi/tongue.jpg

Please, in doubt, try and help me out. I either need to stop worrying or have it checked out by a doctor soon.

Many thanks in advance,
-Tsachi

Reply Flag this Discussion

61 Replies:

• I've been quite patient,let me try again -should i be worried?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 4, 2008
    • 11:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • just had that the other day and its swollen taste buds , no biggy . Dr. gave me the z pack and thats it . they went down
    razzle 6 Replies
    • February 6, 2008
    • 08:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • circumvallate papillae. normal...don't take anything.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • hi...i have that now....thats why i came online. Apparently many people have this condition.....read the parts about probiotics/digestive track...this may be a problem for more people than are saying.
  • My tongue looks almost identical to your tongue. My doctor thinks I have a yeast infection but the treatment isn't helping. The timing of mine came after oral sex with a woman. The difference is mine has other symptoms such as headaches (which I never get in all my life), a burning tongue sensation and sometimes my teeth hurt when the tongue burns. Is there not anyone in our medical community that realizes this is not normal? Just because science may not understand it yet doesn't mean it's normal. This needs to be researched.
    medicalconcerns 8 Replies
    • August 31, 2008
    • 03:11 PM
    Flag this Response
  • this could be caused by a lack of brushing your teeth
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 9, 2008
    • 10:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Glad to see this on here. I have something similar in the back of my mouth. My dad looked in his mouth and he has one to. :confused:
    c.harris 3 Replies
    • November 12, 2008
    • 02:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have these to. My tongue also had a disgusting dirty coating. Also have a weird ear pain with it. Went to Doctors and Dentist even had a Wisdom tooth pulled this went on for about 18months. None of them knew why this was happening. I really have little faith in any Doctors ability. I have since had to diagnose myself for the Doctor (yes I paid money to tell them whats wrong, unfortunately I needed a prescription). Anyways, whats causing this in me is a Sinus infection. By the way I did ask if it was swollen tastebuds, they said no. It was being put down as mouth ulcers even I knew that was wrong straight of as the lumps didn't hurt.Hope this helps.Slick:D
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 12, 2008
    • 08:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Those bumps on the back of your tongue are normal. Everyone has them. I think that you should be concerned however, about the white coating on your tongue. Are you a smoker? Have you asked a doctor about thrush or candida overload?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 19, 2008
    • 04:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My tounge looks identical to yours. I work for a pediatrican and he looked in the back of my mouth and said its not thrush he thinks its more viral. But,he didnt tell me anything I should take or do,it just goes away on its own.Well It's been also 4 weeks an I still have it..I have no idea what this is. Did you ever find out?
    lostinla09 4 Replies
    • January 31, 2009
    • 03:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi all, just looked in the mirror. I have 4 bumps, 2 at either side of my tonsil(?) on the top of my tongue at the back. I can barely reach in a touch without gagging.Anyway, freaked-out as thought it was an ulser at back of gum or something. I'll give it a few days and time to heal before seeking doctors advice.I would however recommend oil-pulling to fix this. Swill cold-pressed sesame oil around your mouth and spit. Repeat for a few days. see oilpulling.com or dot net.I just did my firt oil pull in months and immediately it feels less itchy (right at top of my throat arrrgh!
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have these to. My tongue also had a disgusting dirty coating. Also have a weird ear pain with it. Went to Doctors and Dentist even had a Wisdom tooth pulled this went on for about 18months. None of them knew why this was happening. I really have little faith in any Doctors ability. I have since had to diagnose myself for the Doctor (yes I paid money to tell them whats wrong, unfortunately I needed a prescription). Anyways, whats causing this in me is a Sinus infection. By the way I did ask if it was swollen tastebuds, they said no. It was being put down as mouth ulcers even I knew that was wrong straight of as the lumps didn't hurt.Hope this helps.Slick:DHi slick! Just wanted to tell you I have exactly the same thing. Tinnitus, ringing in my airs and eventually pain. It IS CANDIDA. I have been to two neurologist, 3 ENT's nobody got it right! Then I looked up tinnitus and yeast on the web, found they were related and I started de-yeasting, getting rid of candida. i've had it for 5 months of ***l in the day and night this pulsing sound that changes and became a painful screaming sound, I was EATING egivita yeast, then I started with some probiotics containing yeast to see if that would change things. Boy did it ever, I got crazy symptoms, rushes, prickling all over my body, heart pounding, which I was already getting but now wilder. I think yeast may have gotten into your system with oral surgery. Anway, I've just BEGUN de-yeasting, had a bit of stress in my life too A LOT. It's starting to slip away. i pray. And the candida cleanses seem to be working. I am taking oregano oil, grape seed oil, CARPRYLIC ACID, and bentonite clay and a yeast buster kit to gets rid of it! I noticed those bumps on the back of my tongue the other day, it's a yeast allergy alright! Best of luck to you!!!!!:rolleyes:
    Health!me 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have this also..bumps on the back of my toungue i am totally freaking out .. dont know if i should go to the doctor's yet im wanting to wait and see if it goes away!? did you ever find out what it actually was?
  • Hi slick! Just wanted to tell you I have exactly the same thing. Tinnitus, ringing in my airs and eventually pain. It IS CANDIDA. I have been to two neurologist, 3 ENT's nobody got it right! Then I looked up tinnitus and yeast on the web, found they were related and I started de-yeasting, getting rid of candida. i've had it for 5 months of ***l in the day and night this pulsing sound that changes and became a painful screaming sound, I was EATING egivita yeast, then I started with some probiotics containing yeast to see if that would change things. Boy did it ever, I got crazy symptoms, rushes, prickling all over my body, heart pounding, which I was already getting but now wilder. I think yeast may have gotten into your system with oral surgery. Anway, I've just BEGUN de-yeasting, had a bit of stress in my life too A LOT. It's starting to slip away. i pray. And the candida cleanses seem to be working. I am taking oregano oil, grape seed oil, CARPRYLIC ACID, and bentonite clay and a yeast buster kit to gets rid of it! I noticed those bumps on the back of my tongue the other day, it's a yeast allergy alright! Best of luck to you!!!!!:rolleyes: Hey thanks for the reply very helpful. After 2 years of this rubbish I eventually got the correct diagnosis (I think, at least it was one that makes sense). You are right, I went to ENT hosp. (had a camera shoved up my nose, not a pleasurable experience) and was told I have oral(throath) thrush. Anyways took the meds I felt a hugh difference throughout my whole body straight away! Aches and pains where gone nails growing (not brittle and jagged) etc. Which I never associated with this. Unfortunately the meds didn't last very long and it seems to be starting up again. Don't know what I'll do now. Might try some of the stuff your doing, doesn't sound very tasty though. But at least I know what it is.Slick
  • i am 14 years old. i have had this coating problem on my tongue for as long as i can remember. I have been brushing my teeth three times a day and scrubbing my tongue with an electric toothbrush consistantly for about a year now and the white stuff always comes back in the morning. i don't know if this is relavant but most of the time i feel like i have trouble producing saliva when i am not eating or drinking. i have never gone to a doctor about this because i am too embarassed to let my family know. please help with any insight or suggestions.
  • http://library.thinkquest.org/05aug/00386/taste/papillae.htm
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 12, 2009
    • 01:20 AM
    Flag this Response
  • no... I have the same thing, we all go.. some more then other and bigger. they are called circumvallate papillae. Our taste buds all get flavor from different parts of the tongue. for example tip tastes sweets, sides sour... and back where your bumps are is bitter. pretty much its over sized taste buds.. im no doctor but my dentist told me its normal.. its no disease. the back baack part of your toungue where you cant see anymore is filled with with you have.. what i did.. because i know sometimes it feels like lil hairs are stuck in the back of your throat, i just would rinse my mouth out with mouth wash.. warm water and salt... and it takes that feeling away.. i know this was full of slang and stuff but im pretty sure this is what you have..mine haavent gone away for over 5 months..dont think they will till i get older. im 21... my little neice has the same thing she is 13.. just use mouth wash a lot it helps with the feeling that your mouth is dirty..i know when i found them i wwas grossed out. hehehe hope this helped.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 18, 2009
    • 08:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Those bumps on the back of your tongue are normal. Everyone has them. I think that you should be concerned however, about the white coating on your tongue. Are you a smoker? Have you asked a doctor about thrush or candida overload?That looks nothing like candida whatsoever. A white film on the tongue can be the cause of the buildup of dead cells (better dental hygiene can help), dehydration, and even minor infections (excess mucus). Candida causes white, cottage-cheese like lesions that leak and are often painful. Check out the Mayo Clinic's page for more info on candida: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/oral-thrush/DS00408
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 2, 2009
    • 04:34 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Use plain yogurt (assuming you don't have a milk allergy) and eat about 6 cloves & 1/4 of a small onion every day for one week (blend it in a pasta sauce). About 50% of our immune system is in our digestive tract to give the human body an early warning system if we eat (any thing) that will give our bodies problems.Both garlic & onions are extremely powerful bateria & virus killers & yogurt restores the flora in our gut to "normal".You may not be popular with the opposite sex for a week while fighting off "whatever" but that's a good tradeoff for a problem that may go out of control.Remember, mother nature was our first doctor & pharmacy before the drug companies seized control.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 4, 2009
    • 03:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Use plain yogurt (assuming you don't have a milk allergy) and eat about 6 cloves & 1/4 of a small onion every day for one week (blend it in a pasta sauce). About 50% of our immune system is in our digestive tract to give the human body an early warning system if we eat (any thing) that will give our bodies problems.Both garlic & onions are extremely powerful bateria & virus killers & yogurt restores the flora in our gut to "normal".You may not be popular with the opposite sex for a week while fighting off "whatever" but that's a good tradeoff for a problem that may go out of control.Remember, mother nature was our first doctor & pharmacy before the drug companies seized control.I have the same type of bumps on the far back of my tongue.. I have to stick it way out and turn to the left to see these right rear bumps.. one part is swollen like it is the furthers lowest part almost connected to the mouth part... I was thinkin it was irratation from spicey or sour foods. which I love.. then thought it was my bad teeth.. maybe a bad filling but then... lil cankers started here and there leaving.. and spots started becoming alil sore here and there.. I have TMJ so trying to figure ear pain, headaches, or difficulity or painful swallowing isn't possible. but these spots are on both sides.. the right side is of concern.. I am going to the dentist asap.. I am scared of HPV cancer of the mouth or any cancer of the mouth...any1???!!!!??? they are smooth,, swollen bumps.. please as help me... I am a scared 27 yr old mom of 2... who has smoked for over 15 yrs..
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 7, 2009
    • 03:37 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement