Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Upset stomach/stomach pain over a long period of time undiagnosed

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 24 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 31, 2008
  • 04:02 PM

Well the title says it all. I've been to 4 or 5 different doctors (over the span of about 3 or 4 months) about this. None of which have diagnosed whatever I seem to have properly.
Almost every morning I wake up with bad stomach pains. Not sharp pains or pains specific to one area but a dull pain that tends to interfere with whatever I may be doing that day and has helped to screw with my attendance pertaining to both (school, sports). I have had diarrhea but this is not every day nor is it consistent and nor is it specific to what I ate that day/the day before. Many doctors have said "oh well it's a nervous stomach" or "could just be a virus" but I am seriously starting to doubt their thinking on the subject. I've looked on many stomach problem charts and my symptoms do not seem very specific to any one disease or illness. The main problems I have had not associated with my stomach include: Hot/cold feelings, cold feeling hands/feet, nervousness, nausea, cold/hot sweats, feeling "clamy", stomach "noises" and growling and I have been rather drained of energy for the past few months and I have had a decreased appetite. I have tried eating less sugary/salty snacks, and limiting the time when I actually do eat them (don't eat after 7 or 8 ect ect) I am not sure but could this in any way be a nervousness or stress related illness, or is that even possible? Thank you very much in advance and if you need me to specify anything just ask as I have not kept a formal "diary" of my sickness/symptoms. Thank you all as this stomach problem is not helping me forward my education as being at school whilst feeling like this is nearly impossible. Also if it is of any help I am 16 as I know some diseases/illnesses are only present among certain age groups.

Reply Flag this Discussion

24 Replies:

• Go down to your local health food shop and get a course of probiotics, one with acidiphulis and bifidobacteria in it.In ten days report back on what symtoms are left over. Regards.
    TerryG 120 Replies
    • February 1, 2008
    • 01:15 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Look up gastroparesis.
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies
    • February 1, 2008
    • 00:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Did you get tested for celiac disease?
    aquila 1,263 Replies
    • February 1, 2008
    • 02:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • To your question on whether stress could cause symptoms such as that.. i'd say yes. Stress and nervousness can cause all kinds of symptoms including stomach aches, diarrhea, sweats etc.
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies
    • February 2, 2008
    • 00:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hi i found this post really interesting this is how much stomach problem started out. I eventually got my appendix out they thought that was the problem. 2 years later my stomach is still no better i feel sick everyday they had to put me on pills to stop me being sick. One time i was being sick for so long i burst the vessels in my nose. i still do not have a clear answer what is wrong with me. I have been unable to work because of it. I will be sure to check your post to see if you have any luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 3, 2008
    • 11:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Also if I were you, I'd look into Chrones disease. That seems to fit what you have very well.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Well the title says it all. I've been to 4 or 5 different doctors (over the span of about 3 or 4 months) about this. None of which have diagnosed whatever I seem to have properly.Almost every morning I wake up with bad stomach pains. Not sharp pains or pains specific to one area but a dull pain that tends to interfere with whatever I may be doing that day and has helped to screw with my attendance pertaining to both (school, sports). I have had diarrhea but this is not every day nor is it consistent and nor is it specific to what I ate that day/the day before. Many doctors have said "oh well it's a nervous stomach" or "could just be a virus" but I am seriously starting to doubt their thinking on the subject. I've looked on many stomach problem charts and my symptoms do not seem very specific to any one disease or illness. The main problems I have had not associated with my stomach include: Hot/cold feelings, cold feeling hands/feet, nervousness, nausea, cold/hot sweats, feeling "clamy", stomach "noises" and growling and I have been rather drained of energy for the past few months and I have had a decreased appetite. I have tried eating less sugary/salty snacks, and limiting the time when I actually do eat them (don't eat after 7 or 8 ect ect) I am not sure but could this in any way be a nervousness or stress related illness, or is that even possible? Thank you very much in advance and if you need me to specify anything just ask as I have not kept a formal "diary" of my sickness/symptoms. Thank you all as this stomach problem is not helping me forward my education as being at school whilst feeling like this is nearly impossible. Also if it is of any help I am 16 as I know some diseases/illnesses are only present among certain age groups.To answer your question yes these stomach problems are in fact caused by stress and anxiety. When I was younger I experienced a bad stomach every night before I went to bed. I still get them when I am under alot of stress, and trust me, wondering why you have the bad stomach actually causes more stress because you don't know what is going on. What I found helped me was breathing tips the doctor gave me. Breathing in through your nose and releasing it through your mouth calms your nervous system down. Also I would suggest looking at what other stress factors that you are dealing with, the bad stomach could be a sign you are taking on too much or worrying too much.When I was younger the doctor done ultra sounds and tests and found that my bad stomachs were stress related. I used to worry about everything, and when bedtime would come I would worry about the bad stomachs, so this is why they persisted. Well this is what the doctor explained to me. It was actually because I lived in a really stressful household with alot of fighting so I was always on edge. I still get them every now and again, and I have ALL of the same symptoms. When you are nervous and have bad stomachs, your muscles tend to tense up and for some reason your bowels can become "loose" for lack of better word. Same thing goes for not wanting to eat , or having a diminished appetite. It is caused because you feel too nervous to focus on anything else other than the stress or worry. Or in psych terms; fight or flight is activated and because there is no fight, it is your flight that is activated (nervous system) hence nervous stomach. Just think of if you have ever been in a serious break up or witnessed something horrific, your first reaction is an uneasy feeling in stomach. So I wouldn't say you have any disease, some people just have over active nervous systems, and some are more sensitive to stress and anxiety! I wouldn't worry too much over it or else it will persist. Trust me. It happens to me all the time when I don't stop myself. And just one more thing, the sweaty and claminess you talk about is the activation of your nervous system!! and any doctor should know this.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 29, 2008
    • 04:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey, so I have been looking for answers to my constant stomach pains for a long time and have not been able to come across a conclusion as to why they occur. I have very similar symptoms as you do; not eating past 8 on a school night being afraid that it might upset my stomach the next day, waking up with stomach pains that make me want to stay home from school, and also not being able to go to the bathroom even when you think you need to go. I also have been feeling very weak and never having any energy to do the simplest tasks. This illness I think has thrown me into a small depression that I have not talked to many people about. I am also 16 years old and I think the main cause of this illness is stress. Stress from school and life situations make me nervous and tense about what is to come. However, I have been told this could also be IBS which i don't believe to be true. I am yet to see a doctor about this condition because I don't think they would understand the circumstances.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 15, 2009
    • 11:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have exactly the same problems and symptoms as you! most mornings i wake up and find myself struggling to get to school because of my stomach trouble. I have been to 3 different doctors and they have all diagnosed me with a minor virus. However this has been persisting for over 5 months now and is hard to cope with it every day. I get thse pains on a sunday morning before football without doubt, this is because i get very nervous. Sometimes these pains get so bad I get diarohea or sometimes even get constipated, this is not a good feeling when you are about to kick off a football game. I have just turned 15 years of age, but i do not get sweaty, neither do i get hot or cold hands or feet but i seem to run out of energy much quicker. Any help?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 21, 2009
    • 06:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i have the same thing expct it is every time before school starts i get upset stomach and headaces and i dont know whats wrong.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 1, 2009
    • 06:21 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i have the same thing expct it is every time before school starts i get upset stomach and headaces and i dont know whats wrong.One day when I was in 2nd grade, I developed this dull stomach ache. The ache never went away. I am now 47 years old. I have had this dull ache in my gut for over 40 years.... every single day. It has never gone away. I do not know what it is like to have a day where I am not in pain.I also always have terrible gas; I burp a lot; and I have a lot of problems with going to the bathroom. I am either very constipated and have to work hard to expel or I have violent episodes of diarrhea. Sometimes so bad that I don't make it to the bathroom in time.It really affected my childhood because I was always worried I would vomit in public because I was always very nauseous. But the more I worried about vomiting the more nauseous I would become. Many times I had to leave class or church because I thought I would vomit. I never did, but that feeling is terrible.Then, I thought, I would not eat so that I wouldnt have anything in my stomach which meant I couldn't vomit. But, the feelings of vomiting were still there. So, I ended up, not going to school or events.I had every test they is done (upper/lower GI, scope down the throat and up the rear, etc) and they say there is nothing there. They say colitis or IBS because they cannot say anything else.I have come to live with whatever this problem is. No one can tell me, but as I sit here today, I still have it in my gut. After all this time and all the advances of technology, they still cant tell me what is wrong.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 21, 2009
    • 08:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have the same problem too! My problem started when I was around 15 or 16. I am now 22 and I am still dealing with an upset stomach almost every day. Mine isn't just in the morning it is at all times of the day. I went to the hospital when I first started getting these problems and they told me it is IBS, but I definately don't think that is it. For a while I tried a lactose-free diet, but that didn't work. I recently tried cutting out all gluten to see if it was a gluten allergy, but it didn't make enough of a difference. Interestingly enough I lived in Italy for four months and did not even have one stomach ache! I don't know if it is just because the food is so fresh there? I eat only pasta and pizza here as I did in Italy so the only difference is where the ingredients come from. I will be interested to see if you solve this problem! I've been dealing with is for six or seven years to no avail, and I'm ready for this to end!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 27, 2009
    • 04:44 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Christoph - I would suggest having an endoscopy to determine if you GERD (aka acid reflux) or any other stomach issues. GERD can cause a myriad of problems. I have had stomach aches & pains and GI issues for nearly 10 years and finally asked my dr. for an endoscopy. They determined I had erosive esophagitis caused by GERD. There's treatment for it. If anything, it could rule out any serious stomach disorders. Good luck and keep us posted please.
    Lab Mama 1 Replies
    • September 27, 2009
    • 11:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been having the same thing! Im only 12, i have missed 2 periods already and have all this pain in my stomach, I have been nervous on some of the stupidest things and I can barely go to sleep hearing me stomach make noises. I dont have a fever and this starts 2 hours after a meal and doesnt stop. What should I do? Or what is this? I have not gone to see a doctor yet....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 28, 2009
    • 01:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I started having random nauseous episodes eight years ago when I was 13. I've had an upset stomach nearly every day for six years, and every single day for the past two years. I've been checked for celiac, lactose, Crohn's, colitis, appendicitis, IBS, abdominal migraine, ulcers, cancer, etc. No confirmed diagnosis and no successful treatment.Around the same time that the nauseous episodes started I also became very sensitive to natural light; I squint in all natural lighting and in bright sunlight I can't even open my eyes, I get headaches, and I get very drowsy and often fall asleep when exposed to natural light for a long period. I don't know if this could be related.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 22, 2010
    • 11:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • f/22yo/9.5 stoneEvery morning I get sharp pains in my stomach and upset stomach. sorry to say but I wouldn't get your hopes up looking for a cure. I bunked lessons in school and then when I tried to do evening classes at college I would miss some of them too. Not because I wanted to, because I felt I needed to. The problems were anytime of day back then.I think my life would be a lot different today and I would be a lot more successful and qualified if I didn't suffer from these problems.Both doctors I've seen have the attitude that its NOT THAT BAD and thousands of people have the same problem. I was even told by a doctor "GET OVER IT". Yes I agree I don't have a life threatening condition but it doesn't mean ppl like me don't get depressed from the side effects. Had the all clear with a blood test and had ultrasound which looked normal (ultrasound mainly checked bladder as I also have a constant ache in that round about area but not painful).Got rushed to hospital once cause they thought I might have appendix problems (was in a lot of pain). After four days of backwards and forwards to the toilet and being starved i ended up discharging myself. Their conclusion was IBS. Tried the pills to help IBS from docs but has no effect.My new doc seems to think I have an intolerance to some foods but wont refer me for an allergy test even though I requested one. For about six weeks I haven't eaten anything with wheat in (very hard for me and I lost 1/2 a stone in first 2weeks / slowly regained.) I tested the results by eating a pizza one night and suffered all the next day for it!!!!! But I still get the same problems on the diet......so not cured.---All I can say is don't wait around for your doctor to find out whats going on. In the mean time experiment taking out certain food groups for at least a month with each food group and see how you feel (wheat, dairy, gluten etc). See if you have a allergy its apparent within a short period of time but an intolerance can aggravate you a day or two after eating it. There are also tests you can take on the market that can test for allergies and/or intolerances but not having had one (yet) I cant comment. Both my doctors said they give false readings (or they are just keeping the cost budget down!)I had a 1day about 6weeks ago where the constant mild ache wasn't there all day. How sad is it that I felt really strange! The only way I can describe it was almost like driving your car without the radio on....silence....turn the ache back on....I'm not used to feeling nothing anymore
  • Well the title says it all. I've been to 4 or 5 different doctors (over the span of about 3 or 4 months) about this. None of which have diagnosed whatever I seem to have properly.Almost every morning I wake up with bad stomach pains. Not sharp pains or pains specific to one area but a dull pain that tends to interfere with whatever I may be doing that day and has helped to screw with my attendance pertaining to both (school, sports). I have had diarrhea but this is not every day nor is it consistent and nor is it specific to what I ate that day/the day before. Many doctors have said "oh well it's a nervous stomach" or "could just be a virus" but I am seriously starting to doubt their thinking on the subject. I've looked on many stomach problem charts and my symptoms do not seem very specific to any one disease or illness. The main problems I have had not associated with my stomach include: Hot/cold feelings, cold feeling hands/feet, nervousness, nausea, cold/hot sweats, feeling "clamy", stomach "noises" and growling and I have been rather drained of energy for the past few months and I have had a decreased appetite. I have tried eating less sugary/salty snacks, and limiting the time when I actually do eat them (don't eat after 7 or 8 ect ect) I am not sure but could this in any way be a nervousness or stress related illness, or is that even possible? Thank you very much in advance and if you need me to specify anything just ask as I have not kept a formal "diary" of my sickness/symptoms. Thank you all as this stomach problem is not helping me forward my education as being at school whilst feeling like this is nearly impossible. Also if it is of any help I am 16 as I know some diseases/illnesses are only present among certain age groups.Have you been tested for diabetes? I was diagnosed with diabetes recently and told that I need to lose weight before it becomes permanent. I found that I have been having EXACTLY the symptoms you described. In recent mornings I've found that I'm amost throwing up because it's so bad.I read the post on Gastroparesis at the link below and it is a symptom of diabetes. You might want to get checked for diabetes by your health care professional.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 1, 2010
    • 03:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Well I got the same problems, since I was 15 and now I'm 23, I've tried everything, doctors, diets, medications, so far Ive just come to terms it's going to hurt regardless. But I can say this helps me out alot, I tried zoloft, not for depression but zoloft actually stops your bowle movements, it takes the stress away from the muscles that make you use the bath room. And it worked great for about 5 or 6 months and my problem slowly came back. So I said screw it whatever, then I went to walgreens and found fiber pills, and it's been amazing! The bottle says take 2 tables, chewable kind, daily, but I take 2 in the morning, 2 afternoon and 2 at night, and this helps so much more. It's lifted the weight off my shoulders and I can finally go and do what I want. I would suggest to every one to give this a try, it's called fiber choice, on the lable it's vit c fiber tablets, with an oranage on the bottle. Please try this, it takes about a week for your body to adjust, so continue to take for a month atleast and I hope it helps y'all like it helped me!
  • hey guys, i kinda have the same thing, almost every evening i get upset stomack, nausea and loose bowel, not so much that it comes to diarrea but i can feel it a lil, i feel like im gonna vomit but i dont since i hate vomiting. this happens more intensly when i am traveling or intend to travel, i cant seem to find out anything eather, doctor says its the nerves, but it is hard to belive that you would feel really this bad almost every evening couse of nerves. i just dont know what to do. please report back if anyone is on treatment that is helping ir ever found out what was the cause :)
  • I have the same problem too! My problem started when I was around 15 or 16. I am now 22 and I am still dealing with an upset stomach almost every day. Mine isn't just in the morning it is at all times of the day. I went to the hospital when I first started getting these problems and they told me it is IBS, but I definately don't think that is it. For a while I tried a lactose-free diet, but that didn't work. I recently tried cutting out all gluten to see if it was a gluten allergy, but it didn't make enough of a difference. Interestingly enough I lived in Italy for four months and did not even have one stomach ache! I don't know if it is just because the food is so fresh there? I eat only pasta and pizza here as I did in Italy so the only difference is where the ingredients come from. I will be interested to see if you solve this problem! I've been dealing with is for six or seven years to no avail, and I'm ready for this to end! The above poster shouldnt just consider the food differences when in Italy but also the possibility that the issue may be some kind of environmental problem (something in the environment rather then the food may be causing the stomach issue).
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement