Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Foot numbness post surgery

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: mlwilson
  • October 12, 2006
  • 09:41 PM

On August 25, 2006, I had a full joint replacement of my right knee. Following surgery, the bottom of my right foot was completely numb. I indicated this to the surgeon, who stated "that's weird", but could offer no explanation. Before anesthia, the anesthesiologist indicated that he would be doing a femoral block, which I did not completely understand, but wonder if this had something to do with the subsequent numbness.

While in rehab, I complained about the numbness in my foot, and eventually was given an appointment with a neurologist. I met with the neurologist 2 weeks after surgery, who offered no explanation, but indicated that I should wait at least six weeks at which time he could do an examination involving electrical probes. He indicated that if nerve damage was found to be the problem, there was nothing that could be done about it.

I am now going to outpatient physical therapy for the joint replacement surgery, but continue to experience numbness in my foot, which greatly impacts my recovery. The therapist indicated that perhaps during surgery, a nerve was pinched and that in time the feeling would return at the rate of 1 millimeter a day. He indicated that there is no therapy for "nerve damage."

The numbness continues and although not extremely painful (more like a dull aching sensation) it is very irritating; especially when I'm trying to sleep or when I walk on it.

No one seems to have a good explanation for what happened or why.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement