Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Burning sensation due to nerves?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 13 Replies
  • Posted By: issimo
  • January 25, 2008
  • 10:19 AM

From about May 2007 I started getting a burning sensation on the surface of my legs at night. For the past three weeks (Jan 08) this burning has spread to my whole body - wherever my skin is in contact with anything I get a burning sensation on the skin. There are no visible signs of this. I seem to sweat very little and my temperature is normal - I can only get comfortable by trying to regulate the room temperature. This is difficult in January at night and if I get any sleep, I wake up freezing.
I am awaiting an appointment to see if I’ve got a compressed nerve in my neck - the possible cause of tendonitis in my forearms/wrists from Sept 06.
My doctor says the blood test I got covered ‘everything’ - including diabetes. I feel that it is to do with my nervous system, or peripheral nervous system. I waited five months just for a nerve conduction test on my arms and I’m concerned that I might do further damage to a nerve as I wait for my appointment.
I am beginning to despair, especially since my doctor (who I have asked twice) has not been able to help. Does the burning sensation thing ring any bells? Please write if you recognise it. Thankyou.

Reply Flag this Discussion

13 Replies:

• How about an allergist? Do you have redness or a rash? Do you use laundry products that are fragrance-free? (hopefully). Do you think it is a skin issue or much deeper.
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies
    • January 25, 2008
    • 10:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I don't think it's a skin thing - that's just the point where the underlying problem becomes apparent. There is no outward sign that anything is going on
    issimo 5 Replies
    • January 25, 2008
    • 11:50 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My doctor says the blood test I got covered ‘everything’ - including diabetes.HiWhen the doctor did the blood testing, did they just take one sample of blood? The problem is that doctors tend to do a full blood count and if your glucose levels are not elevated they will say you do not have diabetes. I have recently learnt that this is not the correct way to test for diabetes and more extensive testing should be done.Good Luck :-)
    Adam2953 28 Replies
    • January 25, 2008
    • 03:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Do you know if one of the reactions to electricity/wi-fi, etc is a burning sensation that can happen anywhere in the body, when the skin comes into contact with something?
    issimo 5 Replies
    • January 27, 2008
    • 10:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • maybe one of the many herpes viruses--e.g. shingles...
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • January 28, 2008
    • 06:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for those replies. After another visit to my doctor, I think I am narrowing it down. Having educated myself on this site and others, I told him I thought I had peripheral neuropathy. This is consistent with neck problems, which I have. If another blood test looking at B12 and folate is negative , I guess it's fairy conclusive. Then I'll be looking at neck surgery, but that's another story.
    issimo 5 Replies
    • January 28, 2008
    • 00:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had burning sensations in my arms and legs. When someone would touch me, it felt like where they touched me, it would burn worse. Although it didn't burn when I took a shower, but my burning was due to anxiety. Do you think your burning sensations is from anxiety? Hope this helps,LB:D
    royalgarnet 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I would really look into RSD (Reflex Sympathectic Dystrophy) just by what you discribe of the burning and how it spread and also the temperature changes of sweating and freezing. If you look into RSD one thing to remember is not every patient gets all the symptoms or not all at them same time. There are some doctors that believe you have to have like 6 of the symptoms at the same time but that is not at all true. I have RSD that started in my foot and it too burned but then within a week it went full body and internal. The thng with RSD is the sooner you treat it the more likely you can go into remision as after 3 months it becomes uncurable only treatable. RSD is caused by some sort of an injury to a nerve whether sprain ankle, surgery, a hit to the nerve, but I think it was like 34% that have it dont even remember hurting them selves and never will know just what caused it.
    nikiski1 35 Replies Flag this Response
  • Sixteen months on from my original post, I still have the same symptom but in a much milder form. At the time I also had very painful wrists and very stiff neck muscles. All of these I now put down to stress including unconscious stress accumulated from the past. I got this idea from a book by John Sarno which contains some unconventional views on conventional medicine. I visited several types of practitioner but none of them ever considered the possibility of psychosomatic pain. Then I read this book, and started getting better right away. Sounds too easy, I know. But I believe it could help a lot of people who have chronic pain of one sort or another. It's called The Mindbody Prescription. Check out the reviews on Amazon.com. It's helped a lot of people who had frightening and debilitating symptoms. Good luck.
    issimo 5 Replies Flag this Response
  • From about May 2007 I started getting a burning sensation on the surface of my legs at night. For the past three weeks (Jan 08) this burning has spread to my whole body - wherever my skin is in contact with anything I get a burning sensation on the skin. There are no visible signs of this. I seem to sweat very little and my temperature is normal - I can only get comfortable by trying to regulate the room temperature. This is difficult in January at night and if I get any sleep, I wake up freezing.I am awaiting an appointment to see if I’ve got a compressed nerve in my neck - the possible cause of tendonitis in my forearms/wrists from Sept 06. My doctor says the blood test I got covered ‘everything’ - including diabetes. I feel that it is to do with my nervous system, or peripheral nervous system. I waited five months just for a nerve conduction test on my arms and I’m concerned that I might do further damage to a nerve as I wait for my appointment. I am beginning to despair, especially since my doctor (who I have asked twice) has not been able to help. Does the burning sensation thing ring any bells? Please write if you recognise it. Thankyou.I have the exact same symptoms and they thought that it was hormonal I had the esm test and the found That I had carpel tunnel in both arms however it is spreading now through my entire body. They are sending me to an endocrinologist that maybe something wrong with my pituitary gland or also look up cushings syndrome. Hope that helps
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • i have had this burning sensation for almost three years now and it is given me a tough time.i can fell the quenching when shower with cold water. it started when i was in the first year in the Universities and really affected my overall perfomanmce. it is centerd around my trunk and it affects my posture and my sleeping.i did TSH,FBC test and they were normal.my doctors seem not to know the cause.what should i do?could it be peripheral dystrophy or reflex sympathectic dystrophy?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have a burning sensation coming from my skull and going down trough my spinal cord and irradiating from the spine to the sides of my back. The same sensation goes to my muscles all over when Im under stress. I've tried many antidepressants and Lyrica (Pregabalin) in order to erase the "brain pain program" and regulate the levels of neurotransmitters. I gotta say that this helps me to support this weird condition. Until now, no doctor has discovered what is the real problem, but the medications are a relief. I can tell from my own experience that exercising helps a lot too. I've been researching a lot for the latest years and I have a theory about it. The nerves are like live wires and they need blood to keep them working well. We must consider that under stressful situations the nerves, including the brain, goes exhausted. In order to re-balance the nerve functions we need to give it nutrients enough (proteins, vitamins, minerals and fat). As much as we exercise and raise the heart beats, we give more blood and nutrients to all body cells and take all old blood back to be renewed with nutrients. So if you exercise all your nerves are going to get more nutrients and work better. I know is not easy in a condition of pain, but believe me is worth it. Do it everyday at least from 30 to 60 min of continuous exercise, that can be just a fast walk around the block or a workout in a gym. It is really important tho rise the heart beat to have real benefits.Beside exercises another important thing is take supplements - vitamin complex (especially B and D), minerals complex (especially calcium and magnesium) and Omega 3 Fat acid (the "nerve skin" is made of that).Take tea with lemon at least twice a day to keep the blood free from antioxidants.No alcoholic beverages at all, no coffee or other source of caffeine, and be away from fried and fatty food.And for last, try to relax as much as you can, nerves love to have fun.I know its a lot to do, but this is a complex problem and we have to be strong in order to fight against that.Talk to your doctor about it, I hope you gonna feel better soon.Ill be checking here your answer. Good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 17, 2011
    • 04:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • From about May 2007 I started getting a burning sensation on the surface of my legs at night. For the past three weeks (Jan 08) this burning has spread to my whole body - wherever my skin is in contact with anything I get a burning sensation on the skin. There are no visible signs of this. I seem to sweat very little and my temperature is normal - I can only get comfortable by trying to regulate the room temperature. This is difficult in January at night and if I get any sleep, I wake up freezing.I am awaiting an appointment to see if I’ve got a compressed nerve in my neck - the possible cause of tendonitis in my forearms/wrists from Sept 06. My doctor says the blood test I got covered ‘everything’ - including diabetes. I feel that it is to do with my nervous system, or peripheral nervous system. I waited five months just for a nerve conduction test on my arms and I’m concerned that I might do further damage to a nerve as I wait for my appointment. I am beginning to despair, especially since my doctor (who I have asked twice) has not been able to help. Does the burning sensation thing ring any bells? Please write if you recognise it. Thankyou.I have a burning sensation coming from my skull and going down trough my spinal cord and irradiating from the spine to the sides of my back. The same sensation goes to my muscles all over when Im under stress. I've tried many antidepressants and Lyrica (Pregabalin) in order to erase the "brain pain program" and regulate the levels of neurotransmitters. I gotta say that this helps me to support this weird condition. Until now, no doctor has discovered what is the real problem, but the medications are a relief. I can tell from my own experience that exercising helps a lot too. I've been researching a lot for the latest years and I have a theory about it. The nerves are like live wires and they need blood to keep them working well. We must consider that under stressful situations the nerves, including the brain, goes exhausted. In order to re-balance the nerve functions we need to give it nutrients enough (proteins, vitamins, minerals and fat). As much as we exercise and raise the heart beats, we give more blood and nutrients to all body cells and take all old blood back to be renewed with nutrients. So if you exercise all your nerves are going to get more nutrients and work better. I know is not easy in a condition of pain, but believe me is worth it. Do it everyday at least from 30 to 60 min of continuous exercise, that can be just a fast walk around the block or a workout in a gym. It is really important tho rise the heart beat to have real benefits.Beside exercises another important thing is take supplements - vitamin complex (especially B and D), minerals complex (especially calcium and magnesium) and Omega 3 Fat acid (the "nerve skin" is made of that).Take tea with lemon at least twice a day to keep the blood free from antioxidants.No alcoholic beverages at all, no coffee or other source of caffeine, and be away from fried and fatty food.And for last, try to relax as much as you can, nerves love to have fun.I know its a lot to do, but this is a complex problem and we have to be strong in order to fight against that.Talk to your doctor about it, I hope you gonna feel better soon.Ill be checking here your answer. Good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 17, 2011
    • 04:47 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement