Discussions By Condition: Endometrial conditions

Extreme pain and symptoms during period....

Posted In: Endometrial conditions 25 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 22, 2008
  • 06:35 PM

Hello,

I'm 22 years old and have one of the worst periods (as far as I know in comparison to every female I've spoken to). I actually started early (5th grade) and my periods have been a nightmare ever since. I can even vividly remember having disabilitating pains and having to wait crouching in bathroom stalls for a good hour or two until I could become mobile again. My mom would sometimes have to come and get me from school only to become furious with me for missing class over "just a period." She always thought I was overreacting from the pain/acting weak. Which I'm not....I've always been a tom boy and even when I had a jellyfish with it's tentacles wrapped around both my legs (having to be lifted from the ocean b/c I couldn't move), I didn't cry a bit- it was, after all, less painful than that my period.

On top of the pain, I have extreme nausea to the point where I throw up (no matter how hard I fight it). I also have diarrhea throughout my whole period (which rarely happens- I'm active and have always been....and am healthy). My period is also longer than most (7-8 days) with most of it being heavy (super and super plus tampons....sometimes having to change those hourly). It's also common for me to have multiple blood clots (some of which have been massive). And of course, as a result of this, I often end up shaky (anemic).

What is wrong with me? I've always been told by my mom that nothing is wrong....just a heavy period and that I'm overreacting. Am I? I feel miserable and it interferes with my daily activities and obligations. I don't think a normal period should do this? Even pain medication doesn't work that well....and besides that, I HATE having to constantly rely on pain med's just to get by throughout the days.

I'm sorry I wrote so much....Any help or advice is greatly appreciated,

Alison

Reply Flag this Discussion

25 Replies:

• It would probably be a really good idea to go see your gynecologist and tell him/her what you're going through. Get a workup and have your gynecologist make sure that nothing is wrong.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 24, 2008
    • 06:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I can relate a lot to your problems. I'm 23 years old and I've also always had somewhat bad periods. (I got my period just after I turned 11) I always hated my period, but I could deal with it before. In the past year, everything has gotten so much worse! I have very heavy periods with lots of clotting, bleeding heavily in between periods (as heavy as my period at times), and have sharp, stabbing pelvic pain. I have been through an ultrasound and laparoscopy to check for endometriosis. My doctor said she found nothing wrong and to just "hang in there." Needless to say, I am seeking a second opinon and will not go back to that doctor. I still think I have endo or something like that going on. Unfortunately, I still have no diagnosis. I wanted to tell you I know what you are going through and how hard it is. Do NOT listen to your mother. You are NOT overreacting at all. You could have endometriosis or fibroids or something else very serious going on. It is important to find a good doctor that you can trust to help you with this. If you find a good doctor, I would ask them about endometriosis or fibroids being a possibility. Good luck! I will be praying for a solution for you and me both!
    hnblock22 4 Replies Flag this Response
  • I suffered for years with the really heavy periods, cramping, loose stools, etc. Finally, I read the the IUD helps with this issue. I have two friends who are using the IUD for birth control and a loved 'side effect' is that they get really light periods (almost non-existent!). Did some research and found out that the IUD is the #1 birth control method in the world! Most female OB-GYNs use it as their form of birth control. I had one inserted in March and the first few weeks were really bad with cramps and spotting. I almost had it taken out. The doctor talked me through it. The results? After a month I stopped taking pain meds because I no longer have cramps AND my periods are so light that I can wear regular pads (no more night pads or Depends super pads!) I love the IUD. I can't stop recommending it for Endo and birth control (my husband doesn't feel a thing!). Big thumbs up!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi I am totally with the lady who had the IUD inserted, I have had the post crippling painful heavy periods with clots tht were huge and I had to wake up twice a night to change the largest tampon that is made. I had a laproscapy and all sorts of surgery to look for endomeriosis and no one seemed to care, I felt totally alone. My sister told me about the IUD Well I had the IUD fitted Minevra, the one with the hormone, I feel like I have been released from prison. The first two months were tough and I had to convice the doctor to fit it as I have never had children and only just have a regular boyfriend. I don't regret it one bit. The first two months I was bleeding almost every day only a little though and I was feeling a little ill. I have lost weight, not a lot just a little as I used to eat a lot during my period with all the pain killers I took I used to eat to stop my stomach from reacting to them. Now I am bouncing off the walls like the ladies in the tampon adverts, I used to resent them, playing tennis running around smiling because they were having their period and using the special tampon ! Good luck, get the IUD ,, insist on it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 5, 2008
    • 02:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • im 15 and i have the same exact feelings. the pain happened when i sit or stand for too long, once the pain comes along it overwhelms my entire body. ill be walking or standing at the board or something and fall over. i've asked other girls if they have ever felt something like this before but they always say "its just cramps, your overreacting." but i know it isn't cramps because i know what those feel like.i have no idea what it is, and it gets pretty scary sometimes..
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 23, 2009
    • 03:43 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I also get the same pains throughout my period, which consists of no being able to walk due to the pain of feeling as if my stomach is being continuously stamped on. Then after the jabbing excruciating pain i am normally sick a few times, which is followed by a high temperature and heavy shaking. It is also followed by diarrhea as well, which is horrible as you already know. If i am in a place where i don't want to be sick or run to the toilet for example school the pains get much much worse until i am screaming and on the floor gripping of stomach and crying. Today i am going to the doctors to have a check up on it, due to the last few days of agony that i have had; as you have the exact same symptoms as i do, also the unbearable pain, i suggest you do too :) i wish you the best of luck and hope everything will be okay :).
  • yes i too have it but not when im on my period! I get it every couple months i thinkwen i ovulating...im not sure.I get Raelly bad abdominal pain like stabbing chills fever tingles throughout my whole body( like pins and needles) and juss roll around and cry and pound on the walla its that bad! and guess wat went to the docter today and he says welcome to woman hood!I also explained to him that i have high pain endurance cuz i pierce MYSELF got tattoos!! Im so *****d right now cuz this is thesecond doctor ive seen and theyve done NO TESTS at all no blood no urine no ultra sound NOTHING!!! I wanna find out wat this is or atleast get assurance its not cysts maby cancer even !!!Plz if some1 get a doctor that actually gives a sh*t and finds out whats wrong let me no....i dont wanna take stupid pain killers anymore that dont do a ***n thing!! thnx
  • yes i too have it but not when im on my period! I get Raelly bad abdominal pain like stabbing chills fever tingles throughout my whole body( like pins and needles) and juss roll around and cry and pound on the walla its that bad! and guess wat went to the docter today and he says welcome to woman hood!I also explained to him that i have high pain endurance cuz i pierce MYSELF got tattoos!! Im so *****d right now cuz this is thesecond doctor ive seen and theyve done NO TESTS at all no blood no urine no ultra sound NOTHING!!! I wanna find out wat this is or atleast get assurance its not cysts maby cancer even !!!
  • i am 19 and i have the same thing. i started right before i turned 13 and i was fine but as the years went on it got worse and worse and the past couple years i can't more do anything for the first few days. when i first started i had it for about two and a half months before my gyno had me get an ultra sound and they said nothing was wrong. about a year ago, after many visits of arguing i got my family physician to get me another ultrasound. they said there was a cyst on my ovary and it would go away, they never checked up on it. i have talked to them because i cant stand the pain anymore and they give me strong pain meds and said there you go. well i was not happy and i went to a new gyno and all they do is give me the nuva ring and say that will slow the bleeding. i have resently hurt my shoulder and i was prescribed muscle relaxers and hydrocodone. i never took them for my shoulder but i take all three and it knocks me out so i can sleep for a few hours. i dont know what to do anymore. all my doctors say i'm fine and nothing is wrong but some thing has to be going on. my aunt was told she would not be able to have any children because of a hormone that went through her body adn basicly killed her ovaries and i tell the dotors and they do nothing. if anyone has any advise please tell me, i cant take it any more.
  • went through the same thing. I started having problems at about 12. Somewhere around 15 (and 5 ultrasounds) they said my ovaries were covered with small cysts and I was put on the pill. This did nothing for my abdominal pain but lightened my period slightly, still heavier than most. At 18 I finally got my family practitioner to give me a referral to the OBGYN (insurance wouldn't cover w/o referral and she wouldn't give me one til then) They did a laporoscopy and while she didn't find anything at that time, she told me it was really hard to catch it. She put me on the Lupron shot which completly stopped my periods. Only able to be on it for a year but then started the pill again continuously (not taking the week of sugar pills just starting a new pack) period stayed away for about a year and when it finally came back I didn't have any problems anymore. Only time I have had a problem is when my insurance lapsed and I could not afford the pills and when I switched to the generic brand. Other than that while I am on the name brand pill I no longer have pain or heavy periods.
    Jenna198402 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello,I'm 22 years old and have one of the worst periods (as far as I know in comparison to every female I've spoken to). I actually started early (5th grade) and my periods have been a nightmare ever since. I can even vividly remember having disabilitating pains and having to wait crouching in bathroom stalls for a good hour or two until I could become mobile again. My mom would sometimes have to come and get me from school only to become furious with me for missing class over "just a period." She always thought I was overreacting from the pain/acting weak. Which I'm not....I've always been a tom boy and even when I had a jellyfish with it's tentacles wrapped around both my legs (having to be lifted from the ocean b/c I couldn't move), I didn't cry a bit- it was, after all, less painful than that my period. On top of the pain, I have extreme nausea to the point where I throw up (no matter how hard I fight it). I also have diarrhea throughout my whole period (which rarely happens- I'm active and have always been....and am healthy). My period is also longer than most (7-8 days) with most of it being heavy (super and super plus tampons....sometimes having to change those hourly). It's also common for me to have multiple blood clots (some of which have been massive). And of course, as a result of this, I often end up shaky (anemic). What is wrong with me? I've always been told by my mom that nothing is wrong....just a heavy period and that I'm overreacting. Am I? I feel miserable and it interferes with my daily activities and obligations. I don't think a normal period should do this? Even pain medication doesn't work that well....and besides that, I HATE having to constantly rely on pain med's just to get by throughout the days. I'm sorry I wrote so much....Any help or advice is greatly appreciated,AlisonHi AlisonGet to a gynacologist right away, I suffered for yearswith the same thing, you probably have endometriosis, which can be managed, but only after you have been tested, contraceptive pills can help also Ibuprofen.....I suffered for 20 years like this, even after having children. Don;t let them tell its nothing.........run to the doctor.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 8, 2009
    • 06:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Well firstly I just feel great relief that there are others out there who know what I'm going through. And secondly I feel very sorry for you because I know what it's like.I have the same thing... SEVERE pain (that hits me quick, within 5 minutes), to the point where I get diarrhea, vomit, shake and sweat all over, then pass out. Sometimes I have little fainting fits, other times I completely faint and am out. It's completely debilitating, and if it happens when you're out in public it's ***l. Only I don't get it every single time. I had it more regularly when I was a teenager, but then I went on the pill in my 20's and it went away. I've been off the pill for years, and now (I'm 33) I get it once or twice a year, with no warning. Last month it even hit me a day before my period started! Weird!I've been to loads and loads of doctors. They all thought it was endometriosis, but lots of tests have found no sign of that. Plus apparently with endometriosis you get the pain every month. I really think none of them believe me when I explain the degree of pain.I'm slim, healthy, active, eat well, and don't normally have heavy periods, except on these occasions. The last time I went to a Gyno to get another opinion, she didn't think it was endometriosis but couldn't tell me what it was. She said sometimes passing a blood clot can lead to a build up of tension that can create the symptoms. But that doesn't explain it happening the day before. In the end she just told me to wait until I'm pregnant (if it can happen) and they'll investigate further then.I'm so sick of living in fear of it happening every month. And I'm sick of no-one being able to tell me what's wrong. What the ***l is it?Some doctor somewhere in the world must know! Help us.Sarah.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 5, 2009
    • 01:26 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hello,i'm 22 years old and have one of the worst periods (as far as i know in comparison to every female i've spoken to). I actually started early (5th grade) and my periods have been a nightmare ever since. I can even vividly remember having disabilitating pains and having to wait crouching in bathroom stalls for a good hour or two until i could become mobile again. My mom would sometimes have to come and get me from school only to become furious with me for missing class over "just a period." she always thought i was overreacting from the pain/acting weak. Which i'm not....i've always been a tom boy and even when i had a jellyfish with it's tentacles wrapped around both my legs (having to be lifted from the ocean b/c i couldn't move), i didn't cry a bit- it was, after all, less painful than that my period. On top of the pain, i have extreme nausea to the point where i throw up (no matter how hard i fight it). I also have diarrhea throughout my whole period (which rarely happens- i'm active and have always been....and am healthy). My period is also longer than most (7-8 days) with most of it being heavy (super and super plus tampons....sometimes having to change those hourly). It's also common for me to have multiple blood clots (some of which have been massive). And of course, as a result of this, i often end up shaky (anemic). What is wrong with me? I've always been told by my mom that nothing is wrong....just a heavy period and that i'm overreacting. Am i? I feel miserable and it interferes with my daily activities and obligations. I don't think a normal period should do this? Even pain medication doesn't work that well....and besides that, i hate having to constantly rely on pain med's just to get by throughout the days. I'm sorry i wrote so much....any help or advice is greatly appreciated,alisoni have the same problem.i have dysmenorrhea and i take advil liquid gel capsules..kinda help.vicodin helps more
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 24, 2010
    • 08:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I suggest women who are having this type of problem should bypass your family physican and see a gynacologist. A woman is allowed to see a gynecologist at least once a year without a referral from her doctor according to federal law. A gynecologist is trained in this type of problem and knows what to look for and what test to run. I had an ultra sound done because of a thick uterine lining (endometrium) which could be cause by either fibroids or polyps or? They didn't see anything, but the gynecologist said that a Sonohysterography which is basically a ultra sound with saline solution shot into the uterus and can be done in a doctors office can detect any abnormalities within the uterine lining. If you have a computer, you should try and look some of these things up. It could help. Good luck to you and May God Bless you and keep you safe.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 13, 2010
    • 07:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Alison I go thro the same thing every month. I dred the day im going to start my period again. I have such server pain i cant walk and end up in the hopsital ever 30 to 35 day. I have blood clots that are the size of 50 cent pieces and bigger. I have to relay on the hospital to give me pain killers bc other medicane dont work. I hate the fake that i have to take heavy pain killer to help me make it through the day. IT screws up my work schudule i also vomit so much to the point that i vomit green. I still today dont no what is going on with me after have surgerys taking birth controls hormonal pills ive tried everything and nothing works. IM 18 years old and i want to have a hystorectomy because im at the point of when im having my periods i feel like im going to died. IF you have any clue of what maybe wrong with me plzs let me no....Thanks Katelyn
  • Girls, I can completely sympathise. I am 33 and have had debiltating period and ovulation pain since I was 13. You aren't imagining it and don't let women who have cramps make you feel like you are overreacting. There is a vast difference to a cramp that some panadol sorts out and the pain that makes you lie on the floor screaming. I have had all the tests over the years and nothing was found. Unless you get a great female gyno they really don't care. What I can say helps more than anything is a drug called naproxen. It is marketed under diff names in diff countries and sometimes only avail on prescription. The brand I take is called naprogesic and I get it sent from Australia. Unlike normal pain killers that do nothing and just attempt to dull the pain, naprogesic works by inhibiting the prostaglandins which are in essence the hormones being sent from your brain to your uterus telling it to contract to expel the dead cells. You still get your period but it significantly reduces the pain and cramping. It takes about 20 mins to work from when you take it and will make you drowsy but it's better than being stuck on the bathroom floor screaming. I usually find after an hour I can get up and get on with my day. One other thing, it does get better as you get older. I'm down to just the first day being painful now instead of 3 or 4 goodluck!
  • I agree with so many of the women here. I started my period when I was 11 and it wasn't that tough to deal with. As time went on it got a bit worse and by High school I was sitting in the nurse's office whenever it came around. I would get so tired and my stomach would hurt so bad that all I wanted to do was sleep. I'd also get really hot and want to be fanned off, but on other days I would be freezing and the cold would make it all worse. Anyway, after high school I got a job at Target and I remember going to work with my period and getting in trouble for sitting behind my register because it seemed the pain was too hard to deal with. Still, it wasn't terrible at the time compared to later on...Just this last summer, at 20 years old, I woke up and realized I'd started my period, but I didn't really think anything of it. I've had my period long enough to know what to expect. However, by the time I got to campus and into class, I felt TERRIBLE. I left class to sit outside in the sun (which used to calm me and make me feel better), but the sun just made it all worse. I felt EXTREMELY nauseated, tired, bloated... just every bad symptom you can think of. I thought I would pass out and I couldn't move at all! I had a hard time walking because of the pain and that whole day terrified me because it was suddenly so different. I don't know where it came from! Suddenly my periods are TERRIBLE. The few months after this happened, they continued to be terrible. I'd throw up and feel dizzy and tired and the pain would be so bad in my stomach that I couldn't sleep. Laying down made me feel worse, but standin up made me feel bad and even more tired! Then, I'd have no energy and be bloated and go from hot to cold quickly. I looked up EVERYTHING I could find. I don't like pills but I take ibuprofen, Midol didn't help, Advil barely helps, I tried to change my diet and realized the less junk food I eat it seems my period gets a bit better, I have heat pads, drink a lot of water... I take ibuprofen up to 3 days before it starts and only sometimes does it help :( I even smell different. Weird. I remember the way I used to smell, it seems tmi, but before I would smell like blood on my period, now I smell weird. The smell I have when I start my period makes me throw up. Its like a sweet, perfume scent and when I start my period, my senses change and I immeditaly smell it all around me. Then, I start to feel nauseated. The only thing that can keep my from throwing up is peppermint. Authentic peppermint oil and stuff calms the stomach just a little...I went through about 6 months of extreme stress over this. I would cry when I started because the pain was going to be tortureous. It drove me crazy to know I would suffer so terribly every single month of my life. I couldn't deal with that thought. I've been trying so many different things and some of it works so I haven't had the debilitating pain and problems from before but I expect it every month :'(. I just WISH I could go back to the days where I just sat in the nurse's office in high school because I was tired and had cramps. Now I have to deal with so much more! Plus, every time my period ends, I'm already thinking & feeling scared about the next one! I hate this so much, its not normal.
  • im 17 and didnt get my period till year 9. ive been on the pill, which didnt work, so they put me on a stronger dosage of the pill and it did not work either so i stopped taking it. Alike the person who posted this thread, my pains are EXCRUITIATING and are getting worse EVERY time i get my period. the pain is also starting to spread. at first it was just cramping at the front, now its cramping from the front, down inbetween my legs, my bottom, my back all the way up to just under my bra strap. it also feels like there is a lot of pressure there and its like my ovaries are going to explode. i get chronic diorheaa throughout my period, i get nausea and am constantly dry reaching from the pain, i sweat and shake from it and can barely move, my period is heavy and there is ALOT of clotting. i take period pain relief called ponstan and the dosage is two every 4 hours, i am now taking FOUR tablets and two nurofen in one go and it still doesnt stop the pain. i am ready to give up. no tests have been done. i almost drove myself to the hospital today it was that bad. i cant bare it anymore. i am a nursing student and i know this pain is not normal, but i dont know what to do. id appreciate it if anyone could help
  • naproxen or anaprox is heaven sent. available by prescription only, works in about 30 mins but you would definitely know when the effects wear off after a few hours but try it and its the closet you would come to a normal life during your period. i used to throw up green and spend six days on the floor, no school or work but this med completely got rid of my vomiting and running stomach. you might still experience little pain but its just 1 or 2 on the pain chart which was usually 20 for me though the max was 10.
  • I would say this:endometriosis I had alot of questions and problems but I am 43.My obgyn thought I had this because I had the same symptoms.My bleeding was 24/7 and I had extreme pain and my stomach would swell out like 8 months pregnant.You should go to as many obgyn's as it takes until someone takes you seriously. Your mom shouldn't tell you there is nothing wrong. This is not normal and it shouldn't be ignored. You probably have to live around your periods right?I was so embarrassed and in so much pain. Nothing like your blood clots floating down your leg right in front of everyone. I had a stream of blood running down my legs, and I would go in the bathroom and cry!!For this to start in the 5th grade there is something very wrong.good luck and I hope you find a reason for it and be able to fix it. LindaHello,I'm 22 years old and have one of the worst periods (as far as I know in comparison to every female I've spoken to). I actually started early (5th grade) and my periods have been a nightmare ever since. I can even vividly remember having disabilitating pains and having to wait crouching in bathroom stalls for a good hour or two until I could become mobile again. My mom would sometimes have to come and get me from school only to become furious with me for missing class over "just a period." She always thought I was overreacting from the pain/acting weak. Which I'm not....I've always been a tom boy and even when I had a jellyfish with it's tentacles wrapped around both my legs (having to be lifted from the ocean b/c I couldn't move), I didn't cry a bit- it was, after all, less painful than that my period. On top of the pain, I have extreme nausea to the point where I throw up (no matter how hard I fight it). I also have diarrhea throughout my whole period (which rarely happens- I'm active and have always been....and am healthy). My period is also longer than most (7-8 days) with most of it being heavy (super and super plus tampons....sometimes having to change those hourly). It's also common for me to have multiple blood clots (some of which have been massive). And of course, as a result of this, I often end up shaky (anemic). What is wrong with me? I've always been told by my mom that nothing is wrong....just a heavy period and that I'm overreacting. Am I? I feel miserable and it interferes with my daily activities and obligations. I don't think a normal period should do this? Even pain medication doesn't work that well....and besides that, I HATE having to constantly rely on pain med's just to get by throughout the days. I'm sorry I wrote so much....Any help or advice is greatly appreciated,Alison
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement