Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

sudden extreme high blood pressure

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 5 Replies
  • Posted By: mommom
  • January 18, 2008
  • 09:05 PM

My daughter is 18 and developed pretty extreme high blood pressure. She has undergone a lot of tests, but everything has come back negative -- kidney, adrenal, thyroid. She has no history of even slightly elevated bp. Docs seem stumped. She is on bp meds, but they make her not feel too great. other symptoms -- periodic trouble breathing, nearly passing out, shortness of breath, headaches. Has anyone experienced this or does anyone have suggestions? Please. :confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• Was your daughter taking any other meds before this HBP? Is she on birth control?DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • January 19, 2008
    • 05:30 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Did she have cardiac tests? Have they looked at the aorta? or other congenital heart defects?
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies
    • January 19, 2008
    • 11:08 AM
    Flag this Response
  • They did do some cardiac tests, basic ones like EKG, ran blood panels, took two types of scans. They were concentrating on the possibility of kidney problems at first, but nothing abnormal has come up. As for birth control, she was on pills for two years without incident to control acne and nephrologist pulled her off those thinking that was the culprit. However, she's now been off them two and a half months and her blood pressure is still out of whack -- most of time pretty high, but also drops to abnormally low occasionally. She is on bp med now. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts!
    mommom 1 Replies
    • January 19, 2008
    • 03:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Your doctor may want to look at this article: 1: J Pediatr. 2007 Aug;151(2):206-12.An unusual cause of pediatric hypertension.Friedman K, Wallis T, Maloney KW, Hendrickson RJ, Mengshol S, CadnapaphornchaiMA.Department of Pediatrics, The Children's Hospital, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80218, USA.PMID: 17643780
    aquila 1,263 Replies
    • January 21, 2008
    • 07:17 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi did you find out what was casuing the high BP. My son also had similar resultsThey did do some cardiac tests, basic ones like EKG, ran blood panels, took two types of scans. They were concentrating on the possibility of kidney problems at first, but nothing abnormal has come up. As for birth control, she was on pills for two years without incident to control acne and nephrologist pulled frogger her off those thinking that was the culprit. However, she's now been off them two and a half months and her blood pressure is still out of whack -- most of time pretty high, but also drops to abnormally low occasionally. She is on bp med now. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts!
    turner23x 2 Replies
    • December 28, 2010
    • 00:48 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement