Discussions By Condition: Finger conditions

Thumb nail bump then dip

Posted In: Finger conditions 12 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 12, 2006
  • 02:37 AM

I recently had a baby I've been nursing him 3 and a half month, i recently noticed that my thumb nail has a large bump then a dip, then it flatens out in the middle of the nail bed. i was wondering if anyone knew if this could be a sign of calcium deficieny?

spammyann@yahoo.com

Reply Flag this Discussion

12 Replies:

• Hi!I am 36 weeks pregnant and Im having the same problem exactly. I heard that it could be a sign of lung disease. Does anyone know why this is happening?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 9, 2006
    • 00:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • From looking on the internet I think it is Mees lines or Bows LinesMees lines are dents which go across the nail and Bows lines go up and down the nail.Mees lines is often caused by a deficiency in Iron or is something which causes this - I think being being pregnant could be causing iron deficiency - but I would suggest you speak with a pharmacist as it could be better not to take iron replacements - ps it is pretty common in vegetarians and more common in women due to mensturation.Bows lines are caused by a disturbance to the nail plate - older people get these - apparently eating omega3 gets rid of them - I worked for me but took ages. Also rub your hands in cream containing E vitimins as it could be just dried out nails. If these persists then talk to someone medical.
    Fog Chicken 3 Replies
    • January 30, 2007
    • 04:57 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I was so suprised when I read these! My thumbs are like that too and I am anemic! I never thought to ask my docotr why my thumb nails were growing like that...I just thought I was weird. But I am anemic and I think there is a connection between low iron and funky thumbs!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Before you start panicing - Are your nails in anyway becomming discolored or have an unusual smell to them.Self diagnosis is always problematic in so much as it is easy to convince yourself you have the worse. You may be suffering from the first signs of a nail fungus.Have a look at this link http://www.cure-nailfungus.com/nail_fungus_symptoms.html- do your nails in anyway resemble the ones in the photos.
    zuneuk 8 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi I am the original poster...here I am 2 years later...almost...MY son is now 23 months old and I have a 2 month old as well! My nails are still like this...I would say they arent as bad...but in reguards to the person that posted in FEB 2007...no I do not have fugus..NOTHING like those photos...no discoloration at all...My right thumb is actually looking normal again...like it filled in...and its smooth...the left one is getting there....im sure it had to do with pregnancy and breastfeeding...we'll see if it happens again...since im nursing again and baby is 9weeks old now.
  • I have the same problem, I've been drinking a lot of tea, not eating well, and nursing a baby. I also have been pregnant or nursing a baby during the past four years, not the same one.....I have three kids! I truely believe this is an iron deficiency. I also have experienced quite a bit of sores on my tongue and canker sores, also signs of iron deficiency.
  • Generally any type of ridges, dips, bumps (not caused from artificial nails that is) are caused by several things. Most commonly is medication, pregnancy, or injury. I am have been a nail tech for 16 years(and admit I am a bit rusty on the medical side of nails lol) but I do remember learning about this. Low iron could easily cause this problem as well. Pregnancy and breastfeeding really put a toll on women so unless there is pain involved I wouldn't be concerned other than have your iron checked. On a side note....any medications you take will generally have an effect on nails and hair, as does any type of anesthetic (sp?).
    myracer3 5 Replies Flag this Response
  • iam 22yrs guy my finger are get pain obviously, bump and dip happening in both leg and finger i think its like a allergy. i notied some wat it comes on rainy season mostly can any body know about that
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 17, 2008
    • 05:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I just noticed this on my nails about ten minutes ago so naturally I googled it and came to find iron deficiency as a possible cause. Funny since this has never happened to me before and I was diagnosed 6 days ago with anemia, deficiencies in several areas, the worst of which was my iron! I don't know what all causes of this would be, but an iron deficiency sure seems likely as one cause.
  • From looking on the internet I think it is Mees lines or Bows LinesMees lines are dents which go across the nail and Bows lines go up and down the nail.Mees lines is often caused by a deficiency in Iron or is something which causes this - I think being being pregnant could be causing iron deficiency - but I would suggest you speak with a pharmacist as it could be better not to take iron replacements - ps it is pretty common in vegetarians and more common in women due to mensturation.Bows lines are caused by a disturbance to the nail plate - older people get these - apparently eating omega3 gets rid of them - I worked for me but took ages. Also rub your hands in cream containing E vitimins as it could be just dried out nails. If these persists then talk to someone medical.Beau's line is the correct word.
  • im 14 and i had a really big white spot on my thumb, floowed my a small bump. i don't know what it is, but it is now at the top of my nail, so maybe it will just go away?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 19, 2010
    • 05:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I too noticed an oddity in both of my thumbnails within a few weeks after having my son. The bump then dip look! I assumed it had something to do w/ my pregnancy. However, I was tested pretty often for my iron during my pregnancy & it was always w/in a good zone. I agree the bumps may very well have been caused by the drugs I was given for my spinal block for my c-section or even possibly the pain killers that followed? Not sure but my son is now just over 4 months old and both "bump-dips" are almost fully grown out. So, for those of you in a similar scenario, I wouldn't fret over it unless they don't go away.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement