Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Constant Urge To Urinate

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 17 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 16, 2008
  • 02:45 PM

Hello Everyone,

I'm a 24 year old Male student and my problem started about 2 years ago now.
I was out for the New Year and was drinking a lot.
The next day I woke up very dehydrated and noticed that I had a constant urge to urinate. Every time I went to the toilet I would struggle to pass urine.
Straining for 10 minutes or longer at a time very little would pass and 5 - 10 minutes later I would get the feeling to urinate back again!

I went to see my doctor about this and he prescribed me antibiotics with an initial diagnosis of cystitis.
The antibiotics made no improvement to my symptoms at all.

I went to see a urologist about my symptoms and had some checks done (flow rate, bloody test, x-ray to check for kidney stones, telescope inserted into my urethra to check bladder),
also an ultrasound scan to check if my bladder was empty after urinating, which it was.

All tests came back as normal and no one could figure out why I was having these symptoms.

Now, I tend to get the feeling for needing to urinate after around 30mins from the previous time. It feels like a small amount of urine gets stuck
in my urethra after passing urine, and I often get the feeling that some leaks out a while after.
(Which often results in me panicking as I still get the urge that I need to urinate, thinking I am going to wet myself and forcing myself to go to the toilet for those few minutes of relief afterwards).

Can anyone help? My doctors and the hospital don't really seem to know what could be causing it!
Its been something thats been going on for so long now I'm getting desperate for an answer!

Thanks in advance :)

DDS

Reply Flag this Discussion

17 Replies:

• First, immediately switch urologists and get back in to see a good urologist. Even if all of your test functions were normal the doctor should have recommended that you try one of the several drugs that are available for overactive bladders. The drugs are supposed to reduce the sensation of having to urinate (exactly what you are describing) and if one doesn't work there are several choices to try. If the drugs don't work there is also a procedure that can be done under general anesthesia where electrodes are inplanted near your spine with a small device impanted under the skin that transmits electrical stimulation that reduces the urge to urinate. This procedure is called Interstim. I know that sounds very odd since it is in no way attached to your bladder. And lastly, you did not mention whether the doctor tested your bladder capacity. That is very important and you should be sure to ask to have this done (or even repeated). Although it does not necessarily help with a cure, knowing that you have a very small bladder capacity (mine is less than 10 ozs) at least lets you know that you are not insane if you have to pee continually :-)P.S. I wouldn't pay any attention to the last person who answered you. First you should continue to look at rational explanations and proven medical treatments.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 31, 2008
    • 03:56 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello Everyone,I'm a 24 year old Male student and my problem started about 2 years ago now.I was out for the New Year and was drinking a lot.The next day I woke up very dehydrated and noticed that I had a constant urge to urinate. Every time I went to the toilet I would struggle to pass urine.Straining for 10 minutes or longer at a time very little would pass and 5 - 10 minutes later I would get the feeling to urinate back again!I went to see my doctor about this and he prescribed me antibiotics with an initial diagnosis of cystitis.The antibiotics made no improvement to my symptoms at all.I went to see a urologist about my symptoms and had some checks done (flow rate, bloody test, x-ray to check for kidney stones, telescope inserted into my urethra to check bladder),also an ultrasound scan to check if my bladder was empty after urinating, which it was.All tests came back as normal and no one could figure out why I was having these symptoms.Now, I tend to get the feeling for needing to urinate after around 30mins from the previous time. It feels like a small amount of urine gets stuckin my urethra after passing urine, and I often get the feeling that some leaks out a while after.(Which often results in me panicking as I still get the urge that I need to urinate, thinking I am going to wet myself and forcing myself to go to the toilet for those few minutes of relief afterwards).Can anyone help? My doctors and the hospital don't really seem to know what could be causing it!Its been something thats been going on for so long now I'm getting desperate for an answer!Thanks in advance :) DDSI have the same problem, i've been going to a urologist for almost 7 months now(i'm not diabetic and i dont have an std) with no relief. I'm going for a urodynamics test soon, however, he thinks that this could all be cause by stress. I am 20 years old and this whole thing started once i moved to philly for school, in my case, however, i get the urge to go the most in a car(like every 10 minutes i HAVE to pee)...if anybody knows what's going on please help, this has effected just about every part of my life and i need to find some sort of relief. (removed email address moderator 4-10-2012) I search the web every night for an answer to what this could be, i'm ready to try anything......thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • My mother has been having similar problems for over 20 years now (she is 50). She feels the need to urinate CONSTANTLY, & for this reason she barely sleeps at night. She doesn't have any pain, but she feels as though she cannot ever completely empty her bladder (even though tests have shown otherwise). She has been to countless doctors & tried countless medications (including cystitis meds), herbs, diets & procedures over the years, but nothing has worked. She is always exhausted & unhappy. I am to the point of trying to write Oprah after seeing how miserable this condition has made her & feeling so helpless. Crazy right? I would just like to have my Mom back before she dies. There has to be a doctor out there somewhere that can help people with this condition. The only problem is that doctors cost money-- which she doesn't have. She is relatively poor, but she continues to dump every cent she has into a glimmer of hope that she will one day be correctly diagnosed/cured. She is trying to see a neurologist currently. I will let you guys know if anything comes of this.
    brezzi 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I know this may sound stupid, but what are you drinking during the day? Are you drinking caffine? Certain food colors also make you have to urinate? Have you tried drinking only water for a few days to see if that helps?
    toddhilehoffer 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • :confused:What sort of labs have they done? This could be an endocrine and not a urologic problem. Hyperthyroid, diabetes insipidus, diabetes, among other disorders are associated with polyuria (frequent urination).
    RN2003 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • hello i used to have this problem also and i was reccomended to boil barley in water and drink the water of it and drink it for a few days and this worked for me
  • My mother has been having similar problems for over 20 years now (she is 50). She feels the need to urinate CONSTANTLY, & for this reason she barely sleeps at night. She doesn't have any pain, but she feels as though she cannot ever completely empty her bladder (even though tests have shown otherwise). She has been to countless doctors & tried countless medications (including cystitis meds), herbs, diets & procedures over the years, but nothing has worked. She is always exhausted & unhappy. I am to the point of trying to write Oprah after seeing how miserable this condition has made her & feeling so helpless. Crazy right? I would just like to have my Mom back before she dies. There has to be a doctor out there somewhere that can help people with this condition. The only problem is that doctors cost money-- which she doesn't have. She is relatively poor, but she continues to dump every cent she has into a glimmer of hope that she will one day be correctly diagnosed/cured. She is trying to see a neurologist currently. I will let you guys know if anything comes of this.One of my friend was facing similar problem , it may be due to anixety , breathing exercise has helped her, when u do breathing exercise your similar feeling will be diappeared
  • My mother has been having similar problems for over 20 years now (she is 50). She feels the need to urinate CONSTANTLY, & for this reason she barely sleeps at night. She doesn't have any pain, but she feels as though she cannot ever completely empty her bladder (even though tests have shown otherwise). She has been to countless doctors & tried countless medications (including cystitis meds), herbs, diets & procedures over the years, but nothing has worked. She is always exhausted & unhappy. I am to the point of trying to write Oprah after seeing how miserable this condition has made her & feeling so helpless. Crazy right? I would just like to have my Mom back before she dies. There has to be a doctor out there somewhere that can help people with this condition. The only problem is that doctors cost money-- which she doesn't have. She is relatively poor, but she continues to dump every cent she has into a glimmer of hope that she will one day be correctly diagnosed/cured. She is trying to see a neurologist currently. I will let you guys know if anything comes of this. Bookmark & Share SELF-HELP Gadgets powered by Google Custom Search How do you begin to handle a challenge given to you either by biology or your boss? The first place to turn is to the one authority who truly understands--you. Self-help isn't a way to avoid treatments or help from others, it's a starting point to seeing what the problem may be, what the solutions might be and how you should proceed. Relaxation BreathingA good way to help yourself is by using relaxation breathing. How do you do it? Here's a quick guide:1. Take a full, deep breath through your nose and hold it for a count of 5. 2. As you hold your breath, think of the position of your shoulders and your arms. 3. Now, slowly release the air through your mouth in a "whooshing" sound, much like you would a sigh. In fact, a sigh may be the body's way of automatically trying to help us relieve stress.4. Repeat this a few times, but not to the point where you feel either lightheaded or dizzy. No need to rush, no need to push yourself.This can be done a few times throughout the day as a means to help relieve stress.Guided imagery is one of the most pleasant few minutes you can give to yourself. A few tips for you:1. Think of a place you've been, either in reality or some place you've seen in a film, on TV or read about in a magazine. Want to go there because it looks so magical, beautiful or interesting? You can.2. Sit in a comfortable chair, close your eyes and allow yourself to sink into the chair as you do your relaxation breathing.3. Now take yourself to that place and look around. Take a good look at the floor, or the walls, or the trees or whatever is in your special place. Look for the small details and see if there are things you didn't notice before. Don't rush, give yourself some time.Try this it defiantely works
  • I had same problem once in my life, it lasted two days. It was caused by Apple Cider Vinegar. I am not a doctor. My guess... It shall be the foods on your diet, most likely some fruit.
  • I had your mother's exact symptoms from the time I was 18 to 26. Went to my general practitioner and underwent many tests to rule out a physical problem. When she told me it was psychogenic (psychological in origin) I was floored. How could symptoms that were so real, so intense as well as potentialing embarassing be all in my head? Turns out it was my body's way of dealing with stress and anxiety. I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder when I was 26 and put on a regimen of Lexapro and Lorazapam. I also underwent cognitive-behavioral therapy, guided relaxation, deep-breathing, and yoga, but truthfully, nothing extinguished my debilitating anxiety symptoms like the medications. I have been virtually symptom free and only have occasional remissions of symptoms when I am highly stressed and/ or nervous. From what I understand about the bladder it is highly dense in nerves. It seems very natural that it would be affected by intense anxiety and react by spasming which was further compounded by (of course) a fear of incontinence. I know the fear and anxiety she feels but there is help. The only caveat is that long-term use of benzodiazepines may carry negative side-effects such as cognitive-impairments. Why isn't there a "bladder whisperer" somewhere in the world to aid our unruly bladders? I wish your mother luck in finding the best way for her in appeasing her unhappy bladder.
  • I had your mother's exact symptoms from the time I was 18 to 26. Went to my general practitioner and underwent many tests to rule out a physical problem. When she told me it was psychogenic (psychological in origin) I was floored. How could symptoms that were so real, so intense as well as potentialing embarassing be all in my head? Turns out it was my body's way of dealing with stress and anxiety. I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder when I was 26 and put on a regimen of Lexapro and Lorazapam. I also underwent cognitive-behavioral therapy, guided relaxation, deep-breathing, and yoga, but truthfully, nothing extinguished my debilitating anxiety symptoms like the medications. I have been virtually symptom free and only have occasional remissions of symptoms when I am highly stressed and/ or nervous. From what I understand about the bladder it is highly dense in nerves. It seems very natural that it would be affected by intense anxiety and react by spasming which was further compounded by (of course) a fear of incontinence. I know the fear and anxiety she feels but there is help. The only caveat is that long-term use of benzodiazepines may carry negative side-effects such as cognitive-impairments. Why isn't there a "bladder whisperer" somewhere in the world to aid our unruly bladders? I wish your mother luck in finding the best way for her in appeasing her unhappy bladder.Same situation for me as the above, except I haven't undergone the cognitive-behavioral therapy as my practitioner suggests. The worst part of this condition, with these embarrassing symptoms, is feeling that you are the only one undergoing this. Thank you, to the above poster for making me feel I'm not alone...
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• New Study for Overactive Bladder is looking for participants: If previous treatment for overactive bladder hasn’t worked for you, and you live in the New York area, there is a clinical trial going on in lower Westchester to treat overactive bladder. Men and women can be eligible, but you must be over 18 and you must have been previously treated for OA with little success. The study center is an established place with credentialed practitioners who facilitate the study. To see if you’re eligible, email wendy@wernermd.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 10, 2010
    • 06:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • it all stared when i found a lump on my right testy and started to have a BAD pain in my left flank that never goes away. and the constant filling to urinant. but when i try nothing comes out and when i do get it to come out i have to sit and only a little comes out and 10 min later i fill i have to go again. It fills like i have urin that gets stuck right before it comes out i have been to many docters and a urologest i have done kat scans and ultrasounds and have all been negative. i cant sleep it is hard for me to go to work and have to go to the restroom every 10 min and it takes me another 10 min to get stared. i have to be pushing with all my might this has put i huge strain on my life and my family this has been happing for about 7 mounths and i really dont know how much more i can take i am so scared that it is something seirus and they are missing it and i fill like one day i am just going to get sick and it will be to late to fix me if there is anyone that can help me please replay thank you
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 21, 2010
    • 05:18 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Bro I am in the same boat, im 28 and have had this condition for 6 years. I've been to 5 different urologists, and taken every test and every drug on the market for everything from medication for enlarged prostate, bph, and every overactive bladder medication. I've even been to see a physical therapist recommended by my urologist. I get basically get the same result from each treatment: it helps to a certain degree for a limited amount of time, never releiving it even close to 100%, then at some point my body overcomes it and im back to where ive started. I would have to say the prescription drug that worked the best was enablex (which costs $150 a month) but after about 2 years on it slowly its working less and less. The only real salvation I've had is about a year ago I started smoking pot in the evening simply so I could sleep (I dont sleep otherwise because of this), when im high I dont feel it but unfortunately after a year of daily pot use I've had to quit because literally it was making me retarded. The only light at the end of the tunnel for me is the new procedure where they implant electrodes inside of you but my insurance sucks and I can't afford it yet. Anyhow I am going to try it as soon as possible and ill post on here how it works as soon as I know. But if youre reading this please know you are not alone, my current urologist is a very trusted and well known and very caring doctor who's told me I am one of the first people he's seen with this condition but since ive started seeing him he's told me he is getting new cases frequently (men in their 20's experiencing these problems with no response to current treatments). It appears to be a new epidemic that is coming to light for the first time (like celiac for example, no one heard of it 10 years ago, now I know many people suffering from it). The problem really is that all of the current medications are meant for these conditions that occur only in men 45 and older so when someone our age has the same problems they throw the same medications at the problem and explain that 22 year old getting this must just be an anomaly. Thankfully though it is coming into light that its not an anomaly and more and more cases are showing up, so hopefully drug and medical research companies are working on it. My only fear with this is they'll probably come up with a drug that allows us to "live with it" rather than cure it as to hook us for life, afterall they are drug dealers. In conclusion, sorry for writing a book but I though my experience would shed some insight for someone dealing with the same issues. I am going to find a cure or die trying, literally...I can't live like this anymore, and ill let you all know where and when I find progress, hopefully someone who's found salvation will share on here as well.Hello Everyone,I'm a 24 year old Male student and my problem started about 2 years ago now.I was out for the New Year and was drinking a lot.The next day I woke up very dehydrated and noticed that I had a constant urge to urinate. Every time I went to the toilet I would struggle to pass urine.Straining for 10 minutes or longer at a time very little would pass and 5 - 10 minutes later I would get the feeling to urinate back again!I went to see my doctor about this and he prescribed me antibiotics with an initial diagnosis of cystitis.The antibiotics made no improvement to my symptoms at all.I went to see a urologist about my symptoms and had some checks done (flow rate, bloody test, x-ray to check for kidney stones, telescope inserted into my urethra to check bladder),also an ultrasound scan to check if my bladder was empty after urinating, which it was.All tests came back as normal and no one could figure out why I was having these symptoms.Now, I tend to get the feeling for needing to urinate after around 30mins from the previous time. It feels like a small amount of urine gets stuckin my urethra after passing urine, and I often get the feeling that some leaks out a while after.(Which often results in me panicking as I still get the urge that I need to urinate, thinking I am going to wet myself and forcing myself to go to the toilet for those few minutes of relief afterwards).Can anyone help? My doctors and the hospital don't really seem to know what could be causing it!Its been something thats been going on for so long now I'm getting desperate for an answer!Thanks in advance :) DDS
  • Hey yeah I am with you guys, I am 26 but this whole thing started when I was around 20. It started through anxiety cuz i had a fear of public bathrooms and trouble going. So there were times where I think i held in my pee too long. Anyways now I still vaguely have that anxiety, however most of the time I can go now. Now the problem is having the urge to go all the time. I am going to try that boiling barley and water technique and see if that works... I think it was the alcohol that screwed me over on this too. O well If the Barley and water works I will post it, in the mean time If anyone else finds. Relief from some technique let me knowBro I am in the same boat, im 28 and have had this condition for 6 years. I've been to 5 different urologists, and taken every test and every drug on the market for everything from medication for enlarged prostate, bph, and every overactive bladder medication. I've even been to see a physical therapist recommended by my urologist. I get basically get the same result from each treatment: it helps to a certain degree for a limited amount of time, never releiving it even close to 100%, then at some point my body overcomes it and im back to where ive started. I would have to say the prescription drug that worked the best was enablex (which costs $150 a month) but after about 2 years on it slowly its working less and less. The only real salvation I've had is about a year ago I started smoking pot in the evening simply so I could sleep (I dont sleep otherwise because of this), when im high I dont feel it but unfortunately after a year of daily pot use I've had to quit because literally it was making me retarded. The only light at the end of the tunnel for me is the new procedure where they implant electrodes inside of you but my insurance sucks and I can't afford it yet. Anyhow I am going to try it as soon as possible and ill post on here how it works as soon as I know. But if youre reading this please know you are not alone, my current urologist is a very trusted and well known and very caring doctor who's told me I am one of the first people he's seen with this condition but since ive started seeing him he's told me he is getting new cases frequently (men in their 20's experiencing these problems with no response to current treatments). It appears to be a new epidemic that is coming to light for the first time (like celiac for example, no one heard of it 10 years ago, now I know many people suffering from it). The problem really is that all of the current medications are meant for these conditions that occur only in men 45 and older so when someone our age has the same problems they throw the same medications at the problem and explain that 22 year old getting this must just be an anomaly. Thankfully though it is coming into light that its not an anomaly and more and more cases are showing up, so hopefully drug and medical research companies are working on it. My only fear with this is they'll probably come up with a drug that allows us to "live with it" rather than cure it as to hook us for life, afterall they are drug dealers. In conclusion, sorry for writing a book but I though my experience would shed some insight for someone dealing with the same issues. I am going to find a cure or die trying, literally...I can't live like this anymore, and ill let you all know where and when I find progress, hopefully someone who's found salvation will share on here as well.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 13, 2011
    • 09:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • you should get your prostate checked with a stamey exam
    xmen117 16 Replies Flag this Response
  • Yeah like my friend Xmen 117, I think you have a chronical prostatitis like us. We are looking for any solution all over the world. We are french. For me, I have been dealing with this condition (urge to pee over day and night) for about 10 months. It's a genuine ****... My best advice for you guys, it's to stop masturbation for a while, about 3 weeks with that you can feel better. After you should masturbate 2 times a week maximum. You should eat onions every day and get the broccoli treatment for chronic prostatitis. The best drug is ciprofloxacine, with that I got some improvements but it doesn't cure so I just advise you to get natural treatments. Please help us to find solutions ! Try to contact famous urologists in your country for know if they have any solution. Together we can beat this ! I know there is a solution somewhere, I am 20 years old, I never accept that **** ! Please guys search with us.I'm searching all the time. You can contact me for any information by posting on this thread or this http://forums.bettermedicine.com/showthread.php/16563-constant-urge-to-urinate-urgency-22y-o-maleNever give up guys ! Good luck. God bless you
    vince06300 7 Replies
    • August 27, 2012
    • 02:03 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement