Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Dark skin under arms, breasts, and inner thigh

Posted In: Skin conditions 9 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 8, 2008
  • 10:42 PM

Hello. I am a 25 yr old female. I am overwieght and I have dark skin under my arms, breasts, and inner thighs/genitals. Is this caused by being overweight? Or is it a different condition?

I was once told that the dark patches were possibly due to my being italian...but I don't believe that's true.

I can't find anything that quite matches what I am experiencing on the website.

Any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ~ D.

Reply Flag this Discussion

9 Replies:

• Here's what I found:Acanthosis nigricans is a skin disorder that results in velvety, light-brown-to-black markings that can occur in any location but mainly are found in the skin folds of the neck, armpits, groin, and under the breasts.What causes acanthosis nigricans?Acanthosis nigricans can affect otherwise healthy people, or it can be associated with certain medical conditions. Sometimes acanthosis nigricans is congenital (something a person is born with). It is more likely to be seen in people with darker skin. The most common type is found in conditions that are associated with an elevated insulin blood level, such as in diabetes and obesity. There are many other possible causes of acanthosis nigricans, including:Addison disease, a condition caused by a deficiency of hormones from the adrenal gland Disorders of the pituitary gland within the brain Growth hormone therapy Hypothyroidism (low levels of thyroid hormone caused by decreased activity of the thyroid gland) Oral contraceptives Some cholesterol medications, including nicotinic acid Most people with acanthosis nigricans have an insulin level that is higher than that of people of the same weight who don't have acanthosis nigricans. Eating too much of the wrong foods, especially starches and sugars, and being overweight can raise insulin levels.Rarely, people with certain types of cancer can also develop severe cases of acanthosis nigricans.How is acanthosis nigricans diagnosed?The condition can be diagnosed by a doctor through a medical history and physical examination. Blood work might be done to investigate the cause of acanthosis nigricans. Occasionally a skin biopsy is performed to get a detailed look at the tissue in a laboratory.How is acanthosis nigricans treated?The most effective treatment is obtained through weight loss and exercise. Eating a healthy diet can help reduce circulating insulin and can lead to improvement, and sometimes resolution, of the skin problem.Other treatments to improve skin appearance, including Retin-A, urea, alpha hydroxy acids, and salicylic acid prescriptions, may be helpful in some people. Dermabrasion or laser therapy may help to reduce the bulky portion of the affected skin.Acanthosis nigricans caused by medicine may go away once the medication is stopped.Can acanthosis nigricans be prevented?When acanthosis nigricans is related to obesity, weight management is an important part of prevention. A diet that contributes to reduced insulin also can help prevent acanthosis nigricans.Other preventive strategies include treating medical problems that are linked to acanthosis nigricans (such as hypothyroidism) and avoiding medications that tend to cause or worsen the condition (like oral contraceptives).
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 11, 2008
    • 05:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • That sounds like PCOS symptoms. Do you also have irregular menstral cycles?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 12, 2009
    • 04:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have suffered for 17 years with this and only just have gotten the diagnosis of PCOS! Definitely find a GOOD OB/GYN or endocrinologist who will take the time to get you a good diagnosis. My PCOS was kind of obfuscated by another gyn diagnosis of fibriods and adenomyosis, a type of endometriosis which causes my periods to be excruciating and heavy. Definitely get checked out! This condition causes a global costellation of harmful health issues, and don't stop until you get an answer. Good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have Experienced that this happens due to Hard Water, Tap Water and Ground Water both are hard waters, it has lot of camicals which impacts our skin, Swith from Normal unfilterd water to Minral water for a month you would notice the difference, You can install RO at your home to filter the existing water and that would also Benefit you
  • I have it also I had it since highschool and I was not overweight. I am hawaiian, chinese and am pretty pale but still concidered a person of color "thats what my doctor said anyways lol".When I got older my thyroid started having growths and i had to have it removed and my discoloration became worse. and it became very dark. I hate it. I was told Athancosis nigricans is the most common reason especially being overweight can cause it to be really dark and losing weight can help solve the problem.But even if it is most common reason it might not be the only reason or the actual reason why you have it. I would see a dermetologist or talk to your ob/gyn.
  • I have dark patches on the upper inner-thigh. This is due to chafing. I'm not a lot overweight, but most of it is in my thighs. The chafing tends to happen if I'm wearing a certain pair of pants or underwear and sweating. I notice the dark patches a few days later. All I've done is put lotion on the area, and waited. It seems to do the trick. It takes a couple days.I think the skin is dry and discoloured because it's healing.It is probably nothing too serious, and unless you've got another symptom you think is serious try not to worry.
  • Get Checked for PCOS. read about it look it up. I remember having dark skin patches under my arms in junior high and thats why i didnt try out for poms or cheerleading.... Looking back I wish I would have gone to a doctor then...Hello. I am a 25 yr old female. I am overwieght and I have dark skin under my arms, breasts, and inner thighs/genitals. Is this caused by being overweight? Or is it a different condition? I was once told that the dark patches were possibly due to my being italian...but I don't believe that's true.I can't find anything that quite matches what I am experiencing on the website.Any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks ~ D.
  • I thing what you might have is, Acanthosis Nigricans, it's a skin pigmant disorder, that usually occures in obese people, I have acanthosis nigricans, under my arms, on my inner thies, on my elbows and knees, and behind me knees, and on my arm where my elbow bends. Along with under my breasts and belly, and on the back ok my neck. And if you have skin discoloration on any of those parts of your body than this might be what you have :) hope I helped
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 2, 2011
    • 11:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • This article absolutley amazed me !!! I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about a month ago , I also suffered a heart attack 1 day after being diagnosed with diabetes!! For well over 10 years I had dark patches under my arms and in the groin area, never really thought anything of it , now since keeping my diabetes under control and watching my food and insulin levels , the patches of dark skin are completley GONE !!!!! I never knew anything of this condition and I am shocked to learn that I obviously had diabetes for well over a decade without ever knowing it !!! I am so lucky to be alive !!! Please everyone if you have this condition under arms or in the groin , PLEASE go get yourself checked before its to late , a simple blood test will not tell the story however , you will need a a test called an A1C test , it is also a blood test but they check for other things , it will give your doctor a 3 month snap shot of your average blood sugar level over a 3 month time frame and is the only way to check for diabetes . I never had a simple blood test that ever showed me to have elevated blood sugar levels , my A1C showed a 3 month average of 239 !!! My goal is to help anyone who might read this to prevent them from going through what I just did . Here's what I found:Acanthosis nigricans is a skin disorder that results in velvety, light-brown-to-black markings that can occur in any location but mainly are found in the skin folds of the neck, armpits, groin, and under the breasts.What causes acanthosis nigricans?Acanthosis nigricans can affect otherwise healthy people, or it can be associated with certain medical conditions. Sometimes acanthosis nigricans is congenital (something a person is born with). It is more likely to be seen in people with darker skin. The most common type is found in conditions that are associated with an elevated insulin blood level, such as in diabetes and obesity. There are many other possible causes of acanthosis nigricans, including:Addison disease, a condition caused by a deficiency of hormones from the adrenal gland Disorders of the pituitary gland within the brain Growth hormone therapy Hypothyroidism (low levels of thyroid hormone caused by decreased activity of the thyroid gland) Oral contraceptives Some cholesterol medications, including nicotinic acid Most people with acanthosis nigricans have an insulin level that is higher than that of people of the same weight who don't have acanthosis nigricans. Eating too much of the wrong foods, especially starches and sugars, and being overweight can raise insulin levels.Rarely, people with certain types of cancer can also develop severe cases of acanthosis nigricans.How is acanthosis nigricans diagnosed?The condition can be diagnosed by a doctor through a medical history and physical examination. Blood work might be done to investigate the cause of acanthosis nigricans. Occasionally a skin biopsy is performed to get a detailed look at the tissue in a laboratory.How is acanthosis nigricans treated?The most effective treatment is obtained through weight loss and exercise. Eating a healthy diet can help reduce circulating insulin and can lead to improvement, and sometimes resolution, of the skin problem.Other treatments to improve skin appearance, including Retin-A, urea, alpha hydroxy acids, and salicylic acid prescriptions, may be helpful in some people. Dermabrasion or laser therapy may help to reduce the bulky portion of the affected skin.Acanthosis nigricans caused by medicine may go away once the medication is stopped.Can acanthosis nigricans be prevented?When acanthosis nigricans is related to obesity, weight management is an important part of prevention. A diet that contributes to reduced insulin also can help prevent acanthosis nigricans.Other preventive strategies include treating medical problems that are linked to acanthosis nigricans (such as hypothyroidism) and avoiding medications that tend to cause or worsen the condition (like oral contraceptives).
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement