Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Gastroparesis and Tachycardia. Anyone know Why?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 20 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 7, 2008
  • 01:49 AM

Help me Please! I'm open to any and all theories no matter how far fetched they may seem.

About 2 years ago during a time of intense stress in my life I was diagnosed with "idiopahic" Gastroparesis. Once I got the symptoms settled down somewhat I felt pretty much normal, especially if I stayed away from Carbohydrates (no clue why) except for what I call attacks where I would throw up and experience flu like symptoms such as chills and joint aches but no fever, rather a low temperature (97.3 degrees). This would last for a day and I would feel nausea for about a week after but then I would be pretty good again for a while. The attacks in the beginning were about every few months but have gotten gradually more frequent until Last september when I started to feel light headed/ dizzy and very tired. I was low on iron but not anemic so I started to take iron but that didn't fix it. Turns out I was experiencing tachycardia and my pulse was just racing all the time. My pulse is approx 110 bpm resting and on a Beta Blocker but it comes and goes in waves. The doc put me on a beta blocker which helped some but it's effectiveness seems to be wearing off and gradually my pulse is getting higher and higher. Problem is that I have low blood pressure ( 90-100 systolic 50-60 dyastolic) so increasing the BetaBlocker isn't going to work. I also feel palpitations. Some days I feel really bad and I'm very confused and use wrong words when I'm speaking or really have to concentrate to understand things. Other days I feel better but those days are getting rarer and rarer. Pretty much every day I feel that my head is spinning. The gastroparesis seems to be kicked into higher gear as well so I have to believe they are related in some fashion. I firmly believe that there is something causing all of these symptoms but I don't know what.

The doctors have done some testing but so far no clue. I think the doctors are running out of theories although I wouldn't say they have really looked that far.

Other random pieces of the puzzle (or not)::confused:
I am female, overweight- 5'5", 190 lbs and rising, My heart is fine but beating too fast. Glucose is normal (fasting = 80 mg/dl: 2 hour post glucose= 124 mg/dl), My insulin levels are high post glucose(fasting= 10.8uIU/mL, 2 hour post glucose= 128UIU/ML). Diagnosed with Insulin resistance. A random catecholamine(not 24 hour) test was normal. Prolactin is normal as are TSH & T4. LH and FSH are on the low side but normal. Urinary Cortisol is 0 so no Cushings. I was hospitalized with acute pancreatitis 3 years ago due to a gall stone.

Thank you for reading through all of this. I know it is a lot to digest but I would appreciate any help anyone can give me. If I can't even diagnose the problem I can't fix it!!! :eek:

Reply Flag this Discussion

20 Replies:

• Help me Please! I'm open to any and all theories no matter how far fetched they may seem. About 2 years ago during a time of intense stress in my life I was diagnosed with "idiopahic" Gastroparesis. Once I got the symptoms settled down somewhat I felt pretty much normal, especially if I stayed away from Carbohydrates (no clue why) except for what I call attacks where I would throw up and experience flu like symptoms such as chills and joint aches but no fever, rather a low temperature (97.3 degrees). This would last for a day and I would feel nausea for about a week after but then I would be pretty good again for a while. The attacks in the beginning were about every few months but have gotten gradually more frequent until Last september when I started to feel light headed/ dizzy and very tired. I was low on iron but not anemic so I started to take iron but that didn't fix it. Turns out I was experiencing tachycardia and my pulse was just racing all the time. My pulse is approx 110 bpm resting and on a Beta Blocker but it comes and goes in waves. The doc put me on a beta blocker which helped some but it's effectiveness seems to be wearing off and gradually my pulse is getting higher and higher. Problem is that I have low blood pressure ( 90-100 systolic 50-60 dyastolic) so increasing the BetaBlocker isn't going to work. I also feel palpitations. Some days I feel really bad and I'm very confused and use wrong words when I'm speaking or really have to concentrate to understand things. Other days I feel better but those days are getting rarer and rarer. Pretty much every day I feel that my head is spinning. The gastroparesis seems to be kicked into higher gear as well so I have to believe they are related in some fashion. I firmly believe that there is something causing all of these symptoms but I don't know what. The doctors have done some testing but so far no clue. I think the doctors are running out of theories although I wouldn't say they have really looked that far. Other random pieces of the puzzle (or not)::confused: I am female, overweight- 5'5", 190 lbs and rising, My heart is fine but beating too fast. Glucose is normal (fasting = 80 mg/dl: 2 hour post glucose= 124 mg/dl), My insulin levels are high post glucose(fasting= 10.8uIU/mL, 2 hour post glucose= 128UIU/ML). Diagnosed with Insulin resistance. A random catecholamine(not 24 hour) test was normal. Prolactin is normal as are TSH & T4. LH and FSH are on the low side but normal. Urinary Cortisol is 0 so no Cushings. I was hospitalized with acute pancreatitis 3 years ago due to a gall stone. Thank you for reading through all of this. I know it is a lot to digest but I would appreciate any help anyone can give me. If I can't even diagnose the problem I can't fix it!!! :eek:I just want to say I'm sry to hear what u r going thru! I know with the weight issue, u might want to consider some form of exercise program because that will add more problems. I have been suffering but very differently, and was trying to think of something we might be experiancing the samething and found that we both suffer dizziness. I found it helps to drink plenty of water and start taking bvitimins. I have started feeling better this way. Good luck!
    cbalcomgo 38 Replies
    • January 7, 2008
    • 03:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for the ideas. I'm religious about vitamins but more water and more exercise is always a good thought.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 7, 2008
    • 06:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hiya, Sorry to hear your going through all this, i know how you feel as i've got chronic fatigue syndrome and it just makes you feel like your falling apart :) I have been thinking of what could be wrong but i can only think of a few, one is could it be your medication making you feel worse, or Adrenal Fatigue which matches a few of your symptoms, It also reminds me of cfs as you have brain fog, tiredness etc. but i would check out adrenal fatigue as i think you said you hadn't been well before it all started your body may be going into overdrive Hope it helps, if not good luck and i hope you get an answer soon K x
    mumakez 9 Replies
    • January 7, 2008
    • 07:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hiya i was just looking up the medication beta blockers and in general all their side effects match whats happening so maybe it is your medication? what tablets are you taking? K x
    mumakez 9 Replies
    • January 7, 2008
    • 07:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for the info. I don't think it can be the Beta Blocker since I started it afterward. Adrenal fatigue sounds like a good thought though and goes along with most of the symptoms although I gather people with Adrenal fatigue are almost always very thin. I'll go see if they'll test me tomorrow when I'm following up with my Endo Doc. Thank you!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 8, 2008
    • 00:23 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I too have gastric paresis and heart problems with it beating to fast and taking to many beats. The problem lies in the autonomic nervous system and vagus nerve. The vagus nerve is the long nerve from the head down into the stomach in gastric paresis this is the main nerve that controls the stomach, and it is not working right and the stomach does not empty properly , well if you go on the internet and look at a diagram of a vagus nerve you will see that not only does it go down to the stomach it also branches off to the heart. I have read about it and the little branch off from the vagus to the heart controls some functions of the heart, like its heart rate.So thats whats going on the vagus nerve is damaged causing the gastric paresis, the VN branches off to control some functions of the heart, and this is why you have these heart problems. There are a couple medications that worked great for GP like motilium and propulsid not available in the US however you can mail order them in from canada or thailand for cheap and they work great to speed up the emptying of the stomach but they were causing pregnant lactating women deaths because the drug increases heart problems, but I think it was only in certain cicrumstances it did , I never really had to much of a problem only in high dosages
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 9, 2008
    • 05:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Wow! Thanks for the information. I just heard from my doctor yesterday, finally and they have decided I have Neurocardiogenic Syncope which sounds a bit like what you were talking about. Do you have any experience with this? Do they know what has caused the damage to your vagus nerve and is there any chance it will reverse? Interesting that you have gone to Canada for the motility drugs. My gastro doc mentioned those that you are on and said they were terrific and she was sad that they were pulled in the US because they were being overprescribed for other things and causing problems. I was taking Reglan and then Domperidone which they had to compound for me. Talk about seriously expensive. Anyhow, neither one helped and they made me moody and lactate to boot. Anyhow, I appreciate all your input. I think I may be figuring this out at long last. Whew!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 10, 2008
    • 00:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • This site may help: http://www.hrtcare.com/neurosyn.asp
    aquila 1,263 Replies
    • January 11, 2008
    • 05:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey everyone! I just ran across this website while browsing on the web. I'm REALLY concerned about my dad. He is Type 1 Diabetic & he was told from the very beginning that his pancreas does not produce insulin like it should & he's always been on insulin never been able to take pills. My dad is suffering from Gastroparesis & Tachycardia. He cannot feel hunger pangs anymore, he can't tell when he's going to vomit, & can't feel a hypoglycemic episode happening anymore. He also has Hypertension. Anyone got any theories? He takes Diovan 160/12.5 (for hypertension), Toprol XL 25mg(twice daily for his heart rate), Levemir insulin injection(twice daily) & my dad also suffers from severe peripheral neuropathy. (Takes Lyrica) Would love to hear some feedback. I'm a very concerned "daddy's girl".
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 15, 2008
    • 01:51 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Check on Autoimune Diseases(Lupus)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 16, 2008
    • 03:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • To KimmyLou Okay, just to clarify, you stated that your farther has DM type I and that would mean he's been diagnosed since he was a young boy. That being the case, realize that excess glucose is toxic to the nervous system and this is why diabetics experience neuropathy, gastroparesis, etc. Based upon the circumstances described, there is nothing abnormal about the fact that he is developing worsening symptoms associated with gastroparesis and dysautonomia as well.
    JCottleMD 580 Replies
    • November 17, 2008
    • 00:12 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• To KimmyLou, Okay, just to clarify, you stated that your father has type I diabetes, meaning that he's been diagnosed since he was a young boy. That being the case, it's not abnormal for him to be experiencing worsening symptoms associated with gastroparesis and mild dysautonomia as well. Realize that poorly controlled serum glucose is toxic to nerve tissues and explains why diabetics suffer with neuropathy and the other symptoms mentioned. I do somewhat disagree with him being placed on Toprol for his blood pressure. Beta blockers are fine anti-hypertensives but they have a bad reputation for masking low blood sugar. So it's imporant if he's having symptoms to make certain that his glucose is not actually higher than what testing is revealing. Best regards, J Cottle, MD
    JCottleMD 580 Replies
    • November 17, 2008
    • 00:18 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, I am concerned about the diagnosis as being neurocardiogenicsyncope. My daughter was diagnosed with that and that means that your blood pressure drops for no reason and you have fainting spells. You seem to have other things going on! Get a second opinion.By the way, my daughter outgrew this. (I also had this as a young girl to my early twenties.)
    ivory4jesus 8 Replies
    • November 19, 2008
    • 06:53 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey everyone! I just ran across this website while browsing on the web. I'm REALLY concerned about my dad. He is Type 1 Diabetic & he was told from the very beginning that his pancreas does not produce insulin like it should & he's always been on insulin never been able to take pills. My dad is suffering from Gastroparesis & Tachycardia. He cannot feel hunger pangs anymore, he can't tell when he's going to vomit, & can't feel a hypoglycemic episode happening anymore. He also has Hypertension. Anyone got any theories? He takes Diovan 160/12.5 (for hypertension), Toprol XL 25mg(twice daily for his heart rate), Levemir insulin injection(twice daily) & my dad also suffers from severe peripheral neuropathy. (Takes Lyrica) Would love to hear some feedback. I'm a very concerned "daddy's girl".Kimmie, unless your Dad really takes the bull by the horns and gets his blood sugar under control he won't magically get better. Medications may mask or alleviate some symptoms, but tackling the underlying problems, which are hyperglycemia and fluctuating blood sugars, is the only way to halt, or even reverse the progression of your Dad's complications.You say your Dad takes Levemir 2x a day.... has he looked into an insulin pump? Does he understand how to test his basal insulin dose? Does he have a carb-to-insulin ratio? Does he know how many points a unit of insulin will drop his blood sugar when he corrects a high BS? These are all essential things to know in achieving really tight blood sugar control. And how often does he test his blood sugar? I don't know anyone with really tight control (i.e. non-diabetic A1c's and BG averages) who doesn't test at least 10x a day. I test roughly 15x a day.Some good sources of information I've used are Gary Scheiner's book Think Like A Pancreas and John Walsh's book Using Insulin. In addition, LOTS of valuable information can be found at the ADA Type 1 Message Board.Most doctors will tell you that an A1c under 7.0% is good. This is BULL. While there are certainly those who can get away without developing complications at such high blood sugar levels, I wasn't one of them, and developed retinopathy, adhesive capsulitis and diabetic arthritis with A1c's in the low 6's. I started testing much more frequently, which, coincidentally, prevented any severe hypoglycemic episodes from occurring again (knock on wood), and really tightened the fluctuations in my blood sugar levels. It isn't easy, and it takes time to tackle the major learning curve, but at the very least, great improvements can be made. I managed to get my A1c down to a stable (important word) 4.8%, and I haven't had any complications in 3 1/2 years. I encourage your Dad to take advantage of the resources available (I've only mentioned a few, but there are more), because any improvement is for the good. Oh, and your Dad is hypo-unaware (doesn't feel his symptoms) because he is hypo so frequently and his body has grown used to it. Testing often and cutting those episodes out will gradually return his awareness of them.Good luck to you and your Dad,LeslieType 1 for 23 years
    DartGirl 6 Replies
    • November 19, 2008
    • 07:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you been to a dietitian? I went to one and got some very good, helpful advice. I.E. NO FIBER!! Eat only WHITE - rice, noodles, mashed potatoes etc. BROWN carbs contain too much fiber that causes BEZOARS and makes gastroparesis worse! NO FRUITS AND VEGETABLES! No skins of anything, even tomatoes. I can have canned peaches, pears and applesauce. I drink VFusion to get the benefit of fruits and veggies. Eat VERY SMALL amounts at every meal of 3-4 oz and chew every bite 30 times! I have the tachycardia too and all of your other symptoms. Also am diebetic and have hypothyroidism. Both of which are said to cause/contribute to or worsen these conditions. The tachycardia seems to be a precursor of the vomiting to come! I am loosing weight by eating less (small portions 5-6 times per day) and I do exercise (treadmill). Are you getting treatment for the diagnosis you got? If so, is it helping?julie
    millersj123 2 Replies
    • February 3, 2009
    • 07:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Help me Please! I'm open to any and all theories no matter how far fetched they may seem. About 2 years ago during a time of intense stress in my life I was diagnosed with "idiopahic" Gastroparesis. Once I got the symptoms settled down somewhat I felt pretty much normal, especially if I stayed away from Carbohydrates (no clue why) except for what I call attacks where I would throw up and experience flu like symptoms such as chills and joint aches but no fever, rather a low temperature (97.3 degrees). This would last for a day and I would feel nausea for about a week after but then I would be pretty good again for a while. The attacks in the beginning were about every few months but have gotten gradually more frequent until Last september when I started to feel light headed/ dizzy and very tired. I was low on iron but not anemic so I started to take iron but that didn't fix it. Turns out I was experiencing tachycardia and my pulse was just racing all the time. My pulse is approx 110 bpm resting and on a Beta Blocker but it comes and goes in waves. The doc put me on a beta blocker which helped some but it's effectiveness seems to be wearing off and gradually my pulse is getting higher and higher. Problem is that I have low blood pressure ( 90-100 systolic 50-60 dyastolic) so increasing the BetaBlocker isn't going to work. I also feel palpitations. Some days I feel really bad and I'm very confused and use wrong words when I'm speaking or really have to concentrate to understand things. Other days I feel better but those days are getting rarer and rarer. Pretty much every day I feel that my head is spinning. The gastroparesis seems to be kicked into higher gear as well so I have to believe they are related in some fashion. I firmly believe that there is something causing all of these symptoms but I don't know what. The doctors have done some testing but so far no clue. I think the doctors are running out of theories although I wouldn't say they have really looked that far. Other random pieces of the puzzle (or not)::confused: I am female, overweight- 5'5", 190 lbs and rising, My heart is fine but beating too fast. Glucose is normal (fasting = 80 mg/dl: 2 hour post glucose= 124 mg/dl), My insulin levels are high post glucose(fasting= 10.8uIU/mL, 2 hour post glucose= 128UIU/ML). Diagnosed with Insulin resistance. A random catecholamine(not 24 hour) test was normal. Prolactin is normal as are TSH & T4. LH and FSH are on the low side but normal. Urinary Cortisol is 0 so no Cushings. I was hospitalized with acute pancreatitis 3 years ago due to a gall stone. Thank you for reading through all of this. I know it is a lot to digest but I would appreciate any help anyone can give me. If I can't even diagnose the problem I can't fix it!!! :eek:Have you had your pancreas and liver enzymes checked. Sounds like liver to me and can cause a heart attack.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 28, 2009
    • 04:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Jake B has given the best answer; My wife has Addison's disease and gastoparesis; She also gets a forceful tachycardia when she eats after 7 PM , or eats a relative large meal probably due to stretching of the Vagus branch innervating the heart. In addition to Domeperidone or Reglan, Erythromycin is sometimes helpful in heloing the stomach to empty if taken sparingly ;
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Help me Please! I'm open to any and all theories no matter how far fetched they may seem. About 2 years ago during a time of intense stress in my life I was diagnosed with "idiopahic" Gastroparesis. Once I got the symptoms settled down somewhat I felt pretty much normal, especially if I stayed away from Carbohydrates (no clue why) except for what I call attacks where I would throw up and experience flu like symptoms such as chills and joint aches but no fever, rather a low temperature (97.3 degrees). This would last for a day and I would feel nausea for about a week after but then I would be pretty good again for a while. The attacks in the beginning were about every few months but have gotten gradually more frequent until Last september when I started to feel light headed/ dizzy and very tired. I was low on iron but not anemic so I started to take iron but that didn't fix it. Turns out I was experiencing tachycardia and my pulse was just racing all the time. My pulse is approx 110 bpm resting and on a Beta Blocker but it comes and goes in waves. The doc put me on a beta blocker which helped some but it's effectiveness seems to be wearing off and gradually my pulse is getting higher and higher. Problem is that I have low blood pressure ( 90-100 systolic 50-60 dyastolic) so increasing the BetaBlocker isn't going to work. I also feel palpitations. Some days I feel really bad and I'm very confused and use wrong words when I'm speaking or really have to concentrate to understand things. Other days I feel better but those days are getting rarer and rarer. Pretty much every day I feel that my head is spinning. The gastroparesis seems to be kicked into higher gear as well so I have to believe they are related in some fashion. I firmly believe that there is something causing all of these symptoms but I don't know what. The doctors have done some testing but so far no clue. I think the doctors are running out of theories although I wouldn't say they have really looked that far. Other random pieces of the puzzle (or not)::confused: I am female, overweight- 5'5", 190 lbs and rising, My heart is fine but beating too fast. Glucose is normal (fasting = 80 mg/dl: 2 hour post glucose= 124 mg/dl), My insulin levels are high post glucose(fasting= 10.8uIU/mL, 2 hour post glucose= 128UIU/ML). Diagnosed with Insulin resistance. A random catecholamine(not 24 hour) test was normal. Prolactin is normal as are TSH & T4. LH and FSH are on the low side but normal. Urinary Cortisol is 0 so no Cushings. I was hospitalized with acute pancreatitis 3 years ago due to a gall stone. Thank you for reading through all of this. I know it is a lot to digest but I would appreciate any help anyone can give me. If I can't even diagnose the problem I can't fix it!!! :eek: You said your urinary cortisol is 0.... that would be Addison's disease!!! Addison's crises cause nausea vomiting, muscle aches and pains and tachycardia.
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies Flag this Response
  • ...I am female, overweight- 5'5", 190 lbs and rising, My heart is fine but beating too fast. Glucose is normal (fasting = 80 mg/dl: 2 hour post glucose= 124 mg/dl), My insulin levels are high post glucose(fasting= 10.8uIU/mL, 2 hour post glucose= 128UIU/ML). Diagnosed with Insulin resistance. A random catecholamine(not 24 hour) test was normal. Prolactin is normal as are TSH & T4. LH and FSH are on the low side but normal. Urinary Cortisol is 0 so no Cushings. I was hospitalized with acute pancreatitis 3 years ago due to a gall stone. Thank you for reading through all of this. I know it is a lot to digest but I would appreciate any help anyone can give me. If I can't even diagnose the problem I can't fix it!!! :eek:Katti, I know it has been a long time since you posted the above information and that you seem to have come to a diagnosis. However, I just ran across this post while doing a google search with the terms tachycardia and Gastroparesis. I see that you note that you have been diagnosed with insulin resistance and since you mentioned that you are female and having a hard time with weight gain I just wanted to mention that insulin resistance is often often linked to a disorder called poly-cystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). It doesn't explain much of the symptoms you mentioned here except that, due to insulin's roll in converting sugars to fat, it is usually associated with uncontrollable weight gain (other symptoms include absent or short periods, facial hair growth, course body hair, and/or trouble conceiving).The good news is that it can be treated with a medication called metformin, which is usually used to treat diabetes. This medication works by reducing the amount of sugar that passes through the intestinal wall, thus lowering the amount of insulin the body produces. Doctors are unsure why increased insulin levels can also cause women to have increased testosterone levels, but research has demonstrated a clear improvement in when metformin is taken. It also greatly reduces the risk of developing diabetes and usually helps women with PCOS to get down to, and maintain a healthy weight. For me the medication has been an absolute God-sent as I had gone from 210 lbs to 125 lbs due to thyroid cancer and was beginning to panic when I started to gain all the weight back during remission. My endocrinologist and GP where quick to recognize the other symptoms of PCOS and start me on metformin (some doctors still use contraceptives, but they usually cause further weight gain and do not treat the underlying cause of PCOS). For the first time in my life I am able to maintain a healthy weight without literally starving myself. Of course I still watch what I eat and exercise as much as I am able to with a heart condition, but the difference is that these steps now work to help me maintain a healthy weight. Anyway, just a thought since I have met several women with PCOS since my own diagnosis and it seems common to suffer for years before getting the right diagnosis and treatment. Another blessing - many of my friends with PCOS had a hard time getting pregnant until the medication - now most of these women have been blessed with more than one child :)Here are some links to studies about PCOS and treatment with metformin:Metformin effects on ... and insulin sensitivity in PCOSMetformin and Weight loss in Obese Women with PCOS...Treated with Metformin: An Enthusiastic Endorsement
    SKNerissa 1 Replies
    • September 1, 2010
    • 00:02 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I know this thread is dated but I'm hoping to connect with you to see if you found a resolution, I have nearly identical symptoms as you and i was a competitive athlete prior to this two and a half year decline in health. Mine however started with a pain in my left side under my rib cage which they still can not figure out but seems to have been the onset of all of these other symptoms. I have been through countless doctors and tests and have been forced to go on disability for the past couple months. Any feedback from you on your prognosis would be greatly appreciated. Help me Please! I'm open to any and all theories no matter how far fetched they may seem. About 2 years ago during a time of intense stress in my life I was diagnosed with "idiopahic" Gastroparesis. Once I got the symptoms settled down somewhat I felt pretty much normal, especially if I stayed away from Carbohydrates (no clue why) except for what I call attacks where I would throw up and experience flu like symptoms such as chills and joint aches but no fever, rather a low temperature (97.3 degrees). This would last for a day and I would feel nausea for about a week after but then I would be pretty good again for a while. The attacks in the beginning were about every few months but have gotten gradually more frequent until Last september when I started to feel light headed/ dizzy and very tired. I was low on iron but not anemic so I started to take iron but that didn't fix it. Turns out I was experiencing tachycardia and my pulse was just racing all the time. My pulse is approx 110 bpm resting and on a Beta Blocker but it comes and goes in waves. The doc put me on a beta blocker which helped some but it's effectiveness seems to be wearing off and gradually my pulse is getting higher and higher. Problem is that I have low blood pressure ( 90-100 systolic 50-60 dyastolic) so increasing the BetaBlocker isn't going to work. I also feel palpitations. Some days I feel really bad and I'm very confused and use wrong words when I'm speaking or really have to concentrate to understand things. Other days I feel better but those days are getting rarer and rarer. Pretty much every day I feel that my head is spinning. The gastroparesis seems to be kicked into higher gear as well so I have to believe they are related in some fashion. I firmly believe that there is something causing all of these symptoms but I don't know what. The doctors have done some testing but so far no clue. I think the doctors are running out of theories although I wouldn't say they have really looked that far. Other random pieces of the puzzle (or not)::confused: I am female, overweight- 5'5", 190 lbs and rising, My heart is fine but beating too fast. Glucose is normal (fasting = 80 mg/dl: 2 hour post glucose= 124 mg/dl), My insulin levels are high post glucose(fasting= 10.8uIU/mL, 2 hour post glucose= 128UIU/ML). Diagnosed with Insulin resistance. A random catecholamine(not 24 hour) test was normal. Prolactin is normal as are TSH & T4. LH and FSH are on the low side but normal. Urinary Cortisol is 0 so no Cushings. I was hospitalized with acute pancreatitis 3 years ago due to a gall stone. Thank you for reading through all of this. I know it is a lot to digest but I would appreciate any help anyone can give me. If I can't even diagnose the problem I can't fix it!!! :eek:
    Severed athlete 3 Replies
    • September 1, 2011
    • 01:05 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement