Discussions By Condition: Repiratory conditions

Chest Pain/Pain While Breathing

Posted In: Repiratory conditions 100 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 10, 2006
  • 01:04 PM

This has been happening just recently, within the past month. If I twist a certain way while lying down on my left side, I'll feel a sharp stabbing sensation in the left side of my chest. Whatever it is, this motion is what triggers it.

After that first sharp stabbing sensation, assuming I do not move and take shallow breaths, I will not feel anything more. However, as soon as I bend, twist or breathe in or out deeply, the pain will come. It's intensity depends on how much I move. If I move very little, it won't hurt much. If I move a lot, the pain increases. Eventually, usually after a half hour to an hour, the pain will dissappear on its own.

I am typing this now after having woken up from yet another experience. This time something peculiar happened; I felt like yawning, but actually acted on the impulse this time. Rather than percieving a sharp increase in pain like I expected, I felt a bump or pop in the left side of my chest, and the pain vanished immediately.

There's still a little bit of... not pain really - it feels kinda like heartburn, except very mild, and on my left side where I was experiencing the sharp pain before, but it's otherwise gone now.

Any idea what could be causing this pain?

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • I'm assuming you've already gone to a MD and they ruled out heart problems. Allways get chest pains checked. If they were unable to fine a reason ask your Primary Phy about costrochonditis. A painful inflamation of the chest and rib cartilage, tissue and muscles.Good luck:)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 11, 2006
    • 06:13 AM
    Flag this Response
  • HI there,It is really interesting to read your chest pain experince - I have exactly the same problem, and have had it for 8 years (I am 30 year old female). Certain movements or positions will bring on a really intense pain in my chest when taking a deep breathe in. The pain is so bad, I go dizzy. Gardening and hoovering have become scary chores and will certainly bring on an attack. Sometimes they wake me up at night. On these attacks my breathing is really painful so I have to breathe shallow and not move - though I find massaging my chest area and stretching my back and chest muscles (slowly so as not to require too much breath), kind of stretches out the pain - a bit like stretching out cramp. Sometimes I feel something inside pop/move like it has been twisted.I have been to the doctor and was transferred to a cardiologist who found nothing wrong with my heart saying it was a chest spasm and I need to strengthen my chest muslces. Not sure if this is the case, I still suffer and it stills scares me every time. Really interested to know if this is the same thing as your problem and if you know any more.Chrissie
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 18, 2006
    • 01:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I read up about various chest pains, and the one that really seems to fit the bill for me is Pneumothorax. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumothorax It's possible you're suffering from the same thing.Apparently they're fairly common in young people and will often go away of their own accord. You may want to see your doctor again, and talk to him about the chest pains possibly having something to do with your lungs, rather than your heart. A Pneumothorax is relatively easy to see on an X-ray, so your doctor shouldn't have much trouble finding it once he knows what to look for.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 18, 2006
    • 08:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi - I just happened on your post - I don't know if you're still checking this, but I know exactly what you are talking about! I have it fairly often exactly as you described (on the left side, sharp stabbing pains, deep breaths hurt like crazy, but one really deep breath usually caused a popping sensation and then the pain is gone)- and it can be scary. One day while trying to find some info about it on the internet I came across this website which described it perfectly. It's called precordial catch syndrome and is completely benign. Check out this website: http://www.failedsuccess.com/index.php?/weblog/comments/precordial_catch_syndrome_chest_pain/Hope it helps, Gail
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 22, 2006
    • 05:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Gail - thanks so much for posting the reply with regards to my chest pain problem being possibly PCS http://www.failedsuccess.com/index.p...me_chest_pain/ On reading this condition it sounds 100% what I am suffering from and good to know its nothing very serious, just a nuisance. I am actually quite amazed that my doctor and cardiologist didn't think of this. Thanks again! Chrissie
    Chrissie 1 Replies
    • January 13, 2007
    • 05:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi. Yes, it's so very strange that this symptom can affect so many people, and yet it seems to be unknown to doctors in general? Is this some kind of new condition? I get it as well, and some of my friends know exactly what I'm talking about when I describe the pain, and the others look at me with this look like "you REALLY should get to a doctor because that sounds really bad." However a couple months ago, I had a stronger than usual one that did NOT go away after the typical few minutes. Instead it persisted for a good couple hours and severely put a damper on my evening. I have no idea what caused it to go for long, but I have had more since that go away relatively quickly. Very strange stuff. I just always hope it won't ever happen while I'm doing something where my physical strength is being heavily relied upon.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 23, 2007
    • 03:08 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi - I just happened on your post - I don't know if you're still checking this, but I know exactly what you are talking about! I have it fairly often exactly as you described (on the left side, sharp stabbing pains, deep breaths hurt like crazy, but one really deep breath usually caused a popping sensation and then the pain is gone)- and it can be scary. One day while trying to find some info about it on the internet I came across this website which described it perfectly. It's called precordial catch syndrome and is completely benign. Check out this website: http://www.failedsuccess.com/index.php?/weblog/comments/precordial_catch_syndrome_chest_pain/Hope it helps, GailI have had this PCS for years, and because it would come and go so quickly and I would only get it a few times a year, I didn't worry about it. But, lately it has been (probably) the same pain only constant and not nearly as severe. I had a chest xray this morning, so when I find out the results, I will post them.Thanks so much for the website! I told some friends about this strange experience and they both thought I was nuts! LOLWendy
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 23, 2007
    • 10:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Wow....I have this same thing. Although I cannot hear the "pop" noise, it feels like something is popping in my chest.I'll move one odd way, or just be talking, and I get this massive pain in my chest. If I breathe slow for about 15-20 minutes, it usually goes away, or instead, I can breathe in real deep, which creates an intense pain, followed by a "pop" feeling, then goes away instantly!I don't know, but finding this forum helps me feel a bit better and less worrisome. Eager to hear about that chest x-ray as well to see what you find.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have exactly the same problem.. however, this time I can't get the pain to pop away !.. ussualy one deep breath (and the major pain that goes with it) takes care of the problem.. however, today I simply can't get rid of it. I have tried to take e deep breath 20-30 times now and the pain doesn't go away.. I can't get the ussual popping relief sensation!
  • I Have had the same symptoms for years only, can't say there is a pop before they resolve. However, last year I had a Spontaneous Pneumothorx twice and again this year. The symptoms are exact only didn't go away. I had surgery on my right lung to keep it from happening again but it did. And the sharp painful symptoms happen on the right every now and then but always resolve by themselves. I'm sure it is from pneumo's as well.For all of you, I would DEFINATELY get a chest X-ray IMMEDIATELY so you may have a chance at catching a pneumothorax. There is a 50% chance of getting another aftr one and if you flying or out of reach of a good medical facility the results may not be so pretty. Take this seriously!
  • Hi, I have a similar affliction which may or may not be relevant. For around two years now, every couple of months I have awoken in the middle of the night With immense stabbing pains emanating from the right side of my chest, more specificly my lung. Nothing short of lying down until it goes away seems to work. I had a rather sever chest infection a couple of years ago, combined with discovering during treatment an allergy to penicillin which complicated the matter somwhat. More worryingly is that every so often I will wake up in the middle of the night with more or less no lung capacity. I can only take small "panting" style breaths which barely provide enough oxygen. No amount of trying can encourage my body to take more air in. Sadly I dont have a GP currently because of moving sao Im having problems getting this looked into.Sound familiar to anybody?
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I woke up this morning with pain in the right side of my chest, similar to what you guys have been describing. Everytime I inhaled it hurt. It has happened to me before and went away after a couple minutes, however, today it lasted for 3 hours! But then I sneezed and the pain went away! Thank you for your info on precordial catch syndrome...it helped ease my anxiety!
  • I have a similar thing happen to me. A stabbing pain in nearly the centre of my chest (just to the left) and aching pain down my left arm. This happens once or twice every six months for the past 2 years. It only seems to occur in the middle of the night and i wake up and can't get it to stop. Unless i breathe quite shallow, my eyes will start to water from the pain. The next day it just feels like someone may i have punched my arm the day before and there is only the slightest stabbing pain in my chest when i breatheI am a 20yo female, non smoker, occasional drinker. semi active lifestyle and no traumatic event shave happened to me to bring this on.Does anyone else only get it during the night?Thanks Amanda
  • I am a 23 year old female also suffering from chest pains.I have also been suffering from chest pains for the last 3 years. I will get them at random times in the day, but they are unsually more common in the evenings. I will usually get chest pains every 2 weeks or so, and sometimes they last for just a moment or two, however, last night I had the chest pains for 3.5 hours. Even now this morning, I still have a little bit of pain. When I have my chest pains, I have great difficulty breathing, to the point where I take a larger breath and hold it for as long as I can. My pulse becomes very weak, to the point where it took us a few tries to even find it. The pains feel like someone has stabbed me in the back with a knife, but the tip pokes through the front. Sometimes it also feels like I need to crack my back, as it feels like there is something out of place. I have consulted with my doctor a few times, and the only thing that he can recommend is that I have something wrong with my esophagus. After going through may more medical tests, they have determined that I don't have acid reflux, heartburn, or a hiatus hernia. They gave me medication to help slow down the acid production in my stomach, but to no avail. Once they finished the stomach tests, they decided to see if it was something to do with my lungs. After x-rays, and inhailors, there was nothing determined.After talking with some of the people that I work with, they have recommended that I be checked for a Hypo/hyperactive thyroid, as some of my symptoms are similar. Hopefully this can help someone out.
  • Im 14 I had the same experienceI woke up at 5 AM while i was sleeping. Tried to get sleep. I woke up with the pain. I thought it would hurt if i lie on middle because left or right hurt. It hurt the place where my heart is. I ended up sleeping somehow, waking up time to time. I asked my mom and she told me to drink hot tea to widen the space if it was not the heart but something like the muscle, didnt work. I tried using this thing where when u put it on urself it starts getting hot, to have the same effect as the tea. Then i tried drinking some think with water, to fix the problem if it was my hearts fault. Nothing worked. I had a tennis tournament at 11, and it was 8 now. I slept. I woke up somewhere at 10. I played tennis. I got in the court, hit the ball about 5, 10 times (usually with my left which uses both right and left hands to go to the left) it stopped!From my age 1-12 i dont think i ever had this. I had this recently RANDOMLY AND RARELY. It is next to a minute mostly, now it was, 6 hours? The pain stopped, i can breath fully again. When i came back from tennis, i was sick. Did that play a role on it? Im going to the doctor today to see the problem (since im sick my mom said it might of been like spit problem) We'l see.I also get sick one after another, not rarely. We will check what thats from and if that has anything to do with this chest pain too.
  • This is a fascinating forum. I am a 24/female, and I have a heart condition called mitral valve prolapse (MVP) and sometimes it feels like I'm dying of a heart attack. It started with being diagnosed with a leaky valve when I was 17. Since then I've also developed this pain that you are all posting about. It always happens when I'm sleeping on my left side. And I'll be awaked by it by a "pop" feeling. And it immediately feels almost like someone is trying to push their fingers into my ribs above my heart. A severe cramp like feeling. Usually it will wake me up I'll take a few deep breaths and it will go away. But one woke me up this morning at 5am, and it has not gone away all day. Granted it may be tiny bit better. But this is the longest one's ever lasted. And to top it off, I don't have health insurance right now, so my mvp has to wait to be rechecked. I hope it's okay that this pain has lasted all day. I'm going to take some more advil and continue to lie down, and try some warm compresses & etc. But many thanks for those of you posting. I feel like I'm not so alone in the world. Does anyone else have any ideas on how to keep this thing down to a minimum and how to treat it naturally? Thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 20, 2007
    • 00:16 AM
    Flag this Response
  • This seems to affect so many people!I'm a 21 yr old female, non smoker and pretty active. Since I was about 5 yrs old can remember having these strange symptoms.All of a sudden and completely out of the blue I get an extremely sharp pain in the left side of my chest when I breathe in. I have to take shallow breaths until it goes away. The longest it has stayed at one time is 20 minutes but I am getting this more and more regularly. I can't describe the type of pain- it feels muscular or nervy maybe. If I twist or hunch up the pain worsens. Afterwards my chest aches for a little while. Its very strange.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 22, 2007
    • 04:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • At 47, and having had this at least since i was 14, I sympathize with all of you. I learned years ago not to worry about it (especially after some silly resident tried to tell me it was something stuck in my esophagus).My symptoms have almost always been on the left side, usually at rest sitting back but sort of hunched over (so I've tend to believe posture has a role to play). Occasionally I would get this lying down. Typically when I could sense one coming, I found quickly getting up and walking around slowly would stop it dead (not me).By the way, I've never, ever had an episode while actually moving around, only when I've been a stationary slug.Most would last seconds to minutes, but some lasted hours.Good news? Yes. I rarely get them now. I can't remember the last time. Do I believe I've cured it? No but I do believe I've mitigated the problem. I take a fairly small dose calcium-magnesum (2:1 ratio) pill. Is it a placebo? Who knows ...As many of you know by now, there is no known cause. Some doctors speculate a nerve pinch. Personally, I've tended to believe it to be muscular/metabolic and whenever i have some muscle issue, I take calcium-magnesium pills (they are cheap). Don't go taking too much because it'll just about give you the runs! And don't take one without the other (that's to say don't take just calcium, or just magnesium, at least not for this problem).As far as treating the problem when you're actively having an episode, my top 4 are:1. If you catch it immediately, get up and don't stay in the position you were in when it came on.2. Walk around very slowly, occasionally try to move your arms around.3. I've found aspirin quite effective if it lasts more than a couple of minutes.4. While continuing to take shallow breaths, distract yourself. Watch some mind numbing TV.Above all, don't panic. That will make it worse. And don't laugh, that will make it worse too. Save that for after it goes away!Hope this helps ...amac
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 29, 2007
    • 02:40 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had this exact problem for as long as i can remember. i'm 32 now, and it just happened, so i went online looking for informaiton and found this forum. i'm going to look into some of these links, but i wanted to post my experience.i can get rid of the pain almost immediately, pretty much every time. if i'm sitting at my desk, i'll back the chair up and stretch my arms out over my head as far up and back as i can, arching my back as far as i can. then i'll take a quick but deep breath. this took me a long time to do, because the pain is so sharp, it feels like something is poking into my lung, and i thought if i would breathe too deeply, it would just hurt worse. but if i can force myself to go ahead and do it, it really doesn't hurt too bad at all, and i just feel a funny "pop" and it's gone. sometimes i can get it to pop without even taking a breath, just by stretching. it's almost like cracking your knuckles or something.anyway, i've had it twice today, and i got rid of it both times. (i've been doing this for years)i sure hope nobody tries this and hurts themselves... i'll tell you the truth, the first time i did it, i thought i was going to burst a lung, or have a rib poking out of my chest. but i remember it got so bad that i couldn't take normal breaths or move or anything, and i was so frustrated i just leaned way back and forced myself to breathe through it. pop- it was gone.hope that helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 4, 2007
    • 06:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am 23 and got this pain a few days ago, was going to go to the docter today to check it out but thought of checking the internet first. I cant believe how many people are actualy suffering from this. My pains come anytime during the day. Mostly when I lay down I get the pain but this morning I was standing and talking to a friend and it just came. It lasts for an hour almost every time.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 29, 2007
    • 06:59 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement