Discussions By Condition: Foot conditions

Burning pain on outside edge/top of foot

Posted In: Foot conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 3, 2008
  • 08:00 PM

I've been experiencing some burning pain on the top of the outside edge of my right foot, about halfway between the ends of my foot. I've been searching online and was thinking about Morton's Neuroma as a possible cause, but my pain isn't really near my toes or the ball of my foot. I've been to a podiatrist, who thought the nerve was inflamed and taped up my foot and put me on anti-inflammatories. The anti-inflammatories seemed to work well enough (pain was probably 80% gone), but when I went off of them the burning pain returned. Sometimes it hurts when I walk and sometimes it hurts when I'm doing nothing at all. I can't recreate the pain by pressing on the area and it doesn't appear to be swollen at all.

My real concern is that I'm set to begin a 2100+ mile thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail in a couple of months and I'd like to solve the mystery before I leave. I don't want to make the problem worse and/or let it stop me from hiking.

A little about my feet: I've been told that I have high arches. The outer edges of my shoes always wear faster than the inside edge because I guess I tend to walk with more pressure on the outer edges of my shoes.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this or advice on remedies? I could see another podiatrist if necessary (didn't like mine too much), but time and money are short and I thought I'd see if you had any advice before going that route.

Thanks!

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement