Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Sensitive Skin to Touch

Posted In: Skin conditions 290 Replies
  • Posted By: Lexi212
  • October 9, 2006
  • 09:37 PM

I've been having a problem with extreme sensitivity in my lower extremities off and on for a few months. It starts in the upper and inner left thigh, and by a few days later it has radiated to the outer thigh, down to my calf and sole of my foot. Sometimes it will go to the other leg, too, but not usually at the same time. Also, the area between my legs gets extremely sensitive as well. The best way to describe it is that its like a sunburn without the redness and heat. It just stings when I touch it, or clothing touches it and its worse with cold or heat. This lasts for a few days to a week, and its like it moves down my leg and then out my foot. I have been to my pcp and my pain management doctor with no luck. I am not on any medications at current. Please help if you can! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Lexi

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • I have just come up with the same problem 3 days ago. It hurts to the touch. The skin was sensitive on my lower back and I thought it might have been a kidney problem. By the time I was ready to go to sleep, my abdomen was doing the same. Now that it is 3 days later, the pain has reached the sides of my buttocks and my thigh area.I thought it might have been a side effect of my hypoclycemic bout 5 days ago. My sugar dropped dangerously low one night while I was driving and I didn't have anything in my car to fix it, and it was late at night and there wasn't anything open. I hadn't been that sick before ever, so I thought the pain to my kidney area was that. But I do not know. I am not ready to go to a doctor, as I do not know if this is something that will go away on its own.When did this start happening to you? How often does it happen? How long does it last for you?Thank you...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 30, 2006
    • 04:23 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi!I have had these symptoms on and off for most of my life. It seems to come in 3 week cycles, usually around my menstrual cycle. I haven't gone to see the dr. for financial reasons, but if you do, please let me know what he says. Usually the sensitivity lasts only 3-5 days and it seems to travel down my legs to my feet. I know when my soles of my feet start to be sensitive that I am on the last or second to last day of this. I hope this helps and I hope you can find some answers. Good luck!Lexi:)
    Lexi212 2 Replies
    • October 30, 2006
    • 05:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This is a post I put on another thread, which seems to be talking about the same condition, so I thought I would also post it here. I forgot to mention that in desperation last year I also carried out an online diagnosis with www.Diagnose-Me.com. This threw up all manner of possibilities but nothing that really fitted the bill. One possibility I looked into was Lyme Disease, but from what I could understand this usually comes with a rash. Also, sufferers seem to have ongoing long term symptoms, not pain that comes and goes cyclically. Not sure if this helps but hopefully somebody out there knows what it is! "Hi,I have been previously misdiagnosed as having a trapped nerve for pain in my lower back and leg. X-rays did not detect any problems and so I had a course of physiotherapy. I was also misdiagnosed a year later as having a stomach ulcer due to pain in the lower back and abdominal area. This resulted in being put on a course of medication that only stopped once a very unpleasant non-sedative endoscopy proved that I didn't have an ulcer.I currently have pain in my right armpit and down the triceps; a small area on my left inner thigh; over my kidney on the right and the stomach area.It feels like bad sunburn but without any kind of rash or marks and I also feel generally unwell. I am taking regular paracetamol to get by and am waiting for the pain to go, as it seems to disappear as mysteriously as it starts. The episodes generally last from a few weeks to a couple of months and are several months apart.I would love to know what this is and if anything can be done, but am reluctant to go to the GP again. If anyone has any answers please let me know. At least I know it is not in my mind, it is hard when you don't have any outwardly visible symptoms to show someone!"http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/images/misc/progress.gif
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 3, 2006
    • 09:43 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I, too, have been having skin pain on my lower back, sometimes radiating around my side and upper buttocks. I also thought of kidneys as a possible cause, but I don't have any internal discomfort, so that doesn't seem right. It is very confusing--it feels almost like the sensitivity skin gets when one has a fever, but there is no fever. I have had this for a week now. I'm not ready to go to the doctor, but I might if it doesn't go away. If anyone gets an answer for this sort of thing, please post it! Thanks!KF
    tuxkats 1 Replies
    • November 5, 2006
    • 04:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've been having a problem with extreme sensitivity in my lower extremities off and on for a few months. It starts in the upper and inner left thigh, and by a few days later it has radiated to the outer thigh, down to my calf and sole of my foot. Sometimes it will go to the other leg, too, but not usually at the same time. Also, the area between my legs gets extremely sensitive as well. The best way to describe it is that its like a sunburn without the redness and heat. It just stings when I touch it, or clothing touches it and its worse with cold or heat. This lasts for a few days to a week, and its like it moves down my leg and then out my foot. I have been to my pcp and my pain management doctor with no luck. I am not on any medications at current. Please help if you can! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks, LexiHi! I'm feeling the same... Do you know what it is? Have you been checked for hyperthyroidism?Please, let me know.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 12, 2006
    • 00:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I also have this problem of the sensitive skin that feels like a sunburn and hurts to touch or for clothing to touch. It started in my inner thigh up by my pelvic bone and has now moved down to my inner upper leg. It hurts so bad but I don't know what it is either. And I too have asked the doctor once and he thought it was the soap I was using but that is not it. I hope someone finds out and posts it. Thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 14, 2006
    • 07:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hi, I am away on business in houston and I am too developing these coming and going feelings. Like right now, I feel fine. It seems as if stress triggers it. I have never been away from my wife and kids this long and I am beginning to think it is causing this strange pain. It seems to move about my abdominal and chest area, chest being the most painful. I have tried taking Ibuprofen, but to no avail. It really doesnt do much. I have noticed that it gets worse throughout the day and as I go back to the hotel, it subsides. Im sure people think Im crazy, so I dont tell many people. any suggestions would be appreciative! Do any of you have any nervous related issues??? Im generally a figity and nervous person, but nothing too serious. No meds or anything like that. Ive inherited it from my dad, for he is the same way!Thanks, Jeremy
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 16, 2006
    • 06:09 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, I have spent some time recently trying to search for answers to this problem and believe that in my case stress/anxiety could be the trigger that causes the bouts of pain. This would seem to make sense as I am otherwise healthy and do all the right things re diet, exercise etc. I have searched the internet for possibilities for what the condition might be and keep coming up with Fibromyalgia, CFS, ME etc., as ones where the painful skin symptom seems to often apply. At the same time there are other symptoms which seem to fit the bill, such as poor quality sleep and feeling down/depressed. Some people seem to view the coniditions mentioned above as stand alone and others seem open to the idea that they may be related and part of a larger syndrome. The painful skin also seems to apply very often as a symptom of MS, but fortunately the other symptoms don't seem to fit in my case. Of all the sites I have trawled through the 2 most helpful seem to me to be : http://www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.org/index.html and http://www.fmnetnews.com/pages/basics.html#symp. I would appreciate knowing others opinions about these sites and if they think that the conditions described could be applicable. Also, if anyone has any alternative ideas I would appreciate hearing about them.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 17, 2006
    • 11:57 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello again, I have found another information site which caught my attention as it specifically mentioned "Skin Sensitivity – This is another unusual symptom. Some CFS sufferers experience a sensation where patches of skin become very sensitive to touch and may feel like they are burning. Some people describe this as a “crawling sensation”. " The link is http://www.ei-resource.org/fibro.asp. Hope this helps and again any thoughts or knowledge would be appreciated, as this is something I am trying to get to grips with myself and am just finding out about.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 17, 2006
    • 05:11 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi everyone, I'm in a hurry at the mo so won't register but going through very unpleasant/uncomfortable/painful time again hence search for thoughts etc. from others.Have had this as far as I can remember back in my life and I'm now in my fifties ( female ), until the last few years really only whenever I was ill with flu-type or some going-round-bug or other ( once or twice a year ) but in the past few years increasingly ( erratic but perhaps half a dozen/a dozen times a year ) without outright illness like previous mentioned - hypersensitivity of skin all over then becoming painful to the point of burning sensation, key areas are back, scalp, upper arms, cannot bear touch of anything, lasts hours ( up to 12 ) except when ill ( up to 2-3 days), coupled with suddenly feeling very tired and I HAVE TO go and lie down.Mentioned this to my doc just recently and there is a chance that it's a post viral symptom that can last and recur if one has a propensity that it will manifest itself through this particular skin problem. In my case whenever I was ill as a child and young person my weak point ( for want of a better word ) was my skin and pain etc.would make itself known that way, over the years that remained that way until when I was in my thirties and caught a bug that made me ill for a month and took another month to recover from and left me with a permanently sensitive upper left arm especially the skin there - post viral leftover. Since then I have had almost imperceptibly small increase in the skin situation until a few years ago when it started without visible illness and more often but always erratic. One main factor in my life though is stress, chronic and major ( family-related, I am a healthy person as such! ) and we all know that the immune system is seriously worn down and compromised by stress, especially chronic, and all sorts of bugs invade one without neccessarily making one outright ill. Have you noticed how many more people are saying these days that they are not feeling well but not ill either in the conventional sense? I've had this all this summer, just feeling under the weather most of the time and I have had a significant increase with my skin problem all through this summer alongside that.I do not like going to the thought of serious illness ( again in the conventional sense ) and the thought of post viral to me personally explains an awful lot, so it is my situation/stress and with it my immunsystem that I need to address but easier said than done and meanwhile I'm living with this rather unpleasant skinthing.Ringing any bells with anyone else? Any thoughts welcome. Regards from a fellow sufferer.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 26, 2006
    • 08:50 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Wow, I am 35, and have had so much of what I have been reading:Hypersensitive patches of skin on inner thighs, back or left forearm; as well as a low-level of hypoglecimia (low-blood sugar, exhaustion and insomnia ... and all that goes along with that). I have not considered linking them together however, and am going to keep a log. I am having issues right now, and am coming off of 3 days where I hardly ate all. I think I will get healthy again, and test myself! I'll let you know what I discover :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 9, 2006
    • 04:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hi, sorry I have not registered but my name is Ben.I also suffer from these symptoms. I would say ca 4 times a year. Currently running down the whole of my left thigh (sometimes the areas can be much smaller). For the first time it seems to be effecting me internally - feels almost like a stiffness at the top of my leg, and my bladder on the left side is hyper sensitive (as with flu or fever symptoms, except only on left side).Also can have problems with sleep (tiredness and insomnia), and stress.Have not researched so much but the idea of MS or Fibromyalgia seems far fetched (I hope). There seem to be other common links: exhaustion, being run down, stress etc.I think its great that we can have this forum and discuss but don't any doctors ever check the pages and give advice?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 14, 2007
    • 08:37 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Try Shingles without rash or posttherpetic neuralgia...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 18, 2007
    • 05:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • The fifties female--you sound almost as if I wrote that entry. Reading these notes, as this is a first for me I am shocked at all the information, as well as # of people who aren't being helped.I have multiple medical issues, shingles (herpes zoster virus) HSV1 & HSV11 is what creates that horrible pain like my skin has been ripped off my body.when i explain that i can feel the virus come alive as it travels down my nerve endings, and that it actually moves the next day.....doctors have not heard this before.i found that b12 inections help boost your immune system so i have an rx for that. it's much cheaper to do it yourself.something else....i have breast implants - surgery from 1985. i began having auto immune malfunctions 6 months or so after the surgery beginning w/hypo thyroid and hypoglycemia. it then went onto HSV in 1989, and epstein bar virus severe attach 1999-w/chronic fatigue. in 2001 i began having heart problems. i have not put a personal posting yet, and will, but i believe that all my issues are related.the buring skin? i think shingles, however, i describe it as feeling like my skin is ripped off my body. you can check to see if the hsv blood levels are elevated thru a simple blood test.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 27, 2007
    • 03:34 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi there,I've had very sensitive skin on my upper arms for as long as I can remember. Any time I've mentioned it to a doctor, all I get back is, "Hmm. That's weird" so I quit mentioning it. In the last few years, though, I've started having what I call "bad skin days" where everything hurts if it's lightly touched - especially around my upper back, neck and upper arms. Even my softest favorite t-shirt kills me. It's bad enough that I'll end up in tears at the end of a long day at work. I know it's not detergent, changes in soap or anything like that because it doesn't matter what I use. It's really discouraging to have a doctor shrug when you tell them this. ***l, at least say it's all in my head if that's what you think (and it's not, like I said, I've had this since I was a child). For what it's worth, I also have Restless Legs Syndrome (had that since I was 3 or 4) and was recently diagnosed with Type II Diabetes. My thyroid hates me (hypothyroidism) and, as you might guess, I'm overweight. I don't really relate any of those to the whole skin thing, since I'm being treated for the Diabetes and the hypothyroidism and I still have bad skin days. Oh, and I don't get a rash on those days or any thing that would visibly indicate that there was something going on. My parents were never really clear as to whether I've had Chicken Pox or not - they suspect I had a very very mild case when I was 4, but it didn't present like my sister's did... so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Ah well, I'm "glad" to see others have the same problem (in as much as I can be glad that others have pain too... :( )
    bugdog 14 Replies
    • January 27, 2007
    • 00:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi. This is Ben again.Nice to see some activity on the pages.To the recent entries that suggested shingles, I had shingles once and that was a totally different experience, including pain and rash and throbbing. This is more like extreme coldness or simply extremely sensitive skin. More of extreme discomfort rather than pain.It will probably be found to be a lack of vitamin C or something like that.There must be some "cured" or at least correctly diagnosed people out there...Ben
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 29, 2007
    • 08:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This is so weird. It's like there is suddenly a light that goes on when you see that you are not the only person suffering with something that nobody can diagnose. I am a 36 year old female recently diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. But at the same time similar symptoms to those discussed here cropped up. I am exhausted all the time. And my upper arms and forearms have become extremely sensitive to any sort of touch. Have had all sorts of tests done and everything comes back normal. I wish you all luck in finding out that its nothing serious and can get back to your normal lives.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 29, 2007
    • 09:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My skin is very sensitive to touch. Legs, upper arms, stomach, back. Wherever I have extra fat. I have never seen a doctor about it, but I'm going to today actually. I thought my skin was stretching from over eating, and thats why it would hurt. Does that sound stupid? Are any of you who suffer from skin pain, over weight?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 8, 2007
    • 07:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • So, I went to the doctor and based on my symptoms of insomnia, depression, skin sensitivity, lower back pain, light abdonimal pain, she said its stress. My body is telling me to chill out. She suggested stress management classes, seeing a therapist and possibly taking an anti-depressant. I did get my blood drawn to see if I'm missing anything, but I'm sure I'm going to be fine. When I am totally stressed, this is how my body tells me.Good luck everyone.Carla
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 9, 2007
    • 05:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • OkI'm a little unsure as to how this forum works but here's the bottom line. About a week ago I started having this weird feeling at the top of my leg. I couldn't put it into words until I read some of these descriptions and it is definately like sunburn but no redness or any visible sign. The sensation has since moved to my back, right at my belt line. It is very weird and very uncomfortable. But what is the deal with this 'forum'. Is this just a place where we complain to one another or are there ever any answers? Does someone with answers email me directly? I'm confused.I tried to find these answers on this site but to no avail. Please help. ps. I don't even know if I'm posting this 'thread' properly. If I'm not, please forgive me.:confused:
    charles randolph 1 Replies
    • February 15, 2007
    • 05:37 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement