Discussions By Condition: Blood conditions

swollen lymph nodes- two years

Posted In: Blood conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: haberdashery
  • December 28, 2007
  • 05:33 PM

One morning I woke up with a severely enlarged lymph node under my right arm, I could not raise my arm without pain. It was a Saturday so I went to a weekend walk in clinic. The doctor explained the cause was an infection, and though we could not find an infection, he prescribed a heavy dose of antibiotics. I followed the dosage- and it did not help. I then went to my regular doctor. She ran several blood tests for STDs, cancers, auto-immune, etc. Nothing came back. I went to a different doctor who performed the same tests. After no results, she finally prescribed me steroids, which at least alleviated the tender, swollen lymph nodes. The doctor suggested modifying my diet- I cut out meat, dairy, caffeine, I tried a "detox" diet- nothing has worked. I even tried lymph drainage massages and warm compresses. I switched deoderants- and went a full two weeks without deoderant or shaving my underarms. The lymph nodes were still swollen. This process would recur every couple of months- my lymph nodes on my neck, groin, and most painful- under my arm, would swell and the only thing to bring them back down would be steroids. I would sometimes wait a full month before going to the doctor, in the hope that they would go down on their own- they never did. Two summers ago they did a sonogram of my underarms- which resulted in a mammogram- thankfully no breast cancer, but no diagnosis either. Finally last summer they did a biopsy of a swollen lymph node on my neck- which came back with no answers. The surgeon said this is just how my body reacts- with swollen lymph nodes that never go back down without steroids. When the pain is too unbearable, I make an appointment and the doctor gives me a steroid shot (the pills had to many side effects- no sleep for a week + during treatment, etc).

Is there some other cause that no one has looked for? Is there another way to relieve the swollen nodes? I cannot take the answer- this is just how my body is- when I lived twenty-one years without swollen lymph nodes.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement