Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Sour Taste and Jaw Cramps

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 12 Replies
  • Posted By: sokrgrrl02
  • December 26, 2007
  • 08:35 PM

I know this probably sounds really strange, but it happened one night a few weeks back, but was gone by the time I woke up the next morning. Last night I noticed that every time I ate or drank something on the right side of my mouth (specifically the back right side of my tongue), I got the sensation that I was eating something sour, and my jaw started cramping up for a few seconds each time. Any food or drink triggered this jaw issue, and even last night when i was brushing my teeth, any time the toothbrush touched the back right side of my tongue it would do the same thing. Even when I just put my finger on a certain part of my tongue it makes my jaw cramp up. Things do not necessarily taste sour, it just does that thing where you can feel the tingling and kind of cramping in your jaw when you eat/drink something with a sour taste (i.e. sour candies, etc...). It has continued into today, and I can't eat or drink anything on the right side of my mouth without this happening. It has gotten to the point where my jaw is getting sore from cramping up, and hurts to the touch. Has this ever happened to anyone?? I have no clue who to ask about this, a doctor, a dentist? I do have TMD issues with both sides of my jaw, and got some fillings done on the opposite side of my mouth last week, but I don't think that would have anything to do with this. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be well-appreciated! Thanks :)

Reply Flag this Discussion

12 Replies:

• Maybe stones in the parotid (a salivary) gland or an obstruction (parotitis). Hurts like ***l! A friend discovered hers when she was eating "sour apple" candy. It MUST be evaluated by an oral surgeon as the parotid gland can have a tumor.
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies
    • December 27, 2007
    • 01:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My friend had the symptoms in the 70's before cell phones. Sometimes debris gets stuck in the salivary glands and a stone develops.
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies
    • January 31, 2008
    • 00:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I know this probably sounds really strange, but it happened one night a few weeks back, but was gone by the time I woke up the next morning. Last night I noticed that every time I ate or drank something on the right side of my mouth (specifically the back right side of my tongue), I got the sensation that I was eating something sour, and my jaw started cramping up for a few seconds each time. Any food or drink triggered this jaw issue, and even last night when i was brushing my teeth, any time the toothbrush touched the back right side of my tongue it would do the same thing. Even when I just put my finger on a certain part of my tongue it makes my jaw cramp up. Things do not necessarily taste sour, it just does that thing where you can feel the tingling and kind of cramping in your jaw when you eat/drink something with a sour taste (i.e. sour candies, etc...). It has continued into today, and I can't eat or drink anything on the right side of my mouth without this happening. It has gotten to the point where my jaw is getting sore from cramping up, and hurts to the touch. Has this ever happened to anyone?? I have no clue who to ask about this, a doctor, a dentist? I do have TMD issues with both sides of my jaw, and got some fillings done on the opposite side of my mouth last week, but I don't think that would have anything to do with this. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be well-appreciated! Thanks :)I also have this issue. However, I think we are a very rare breed...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 10, 2009
    • 10:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have this sensation occasionally as well and cannot determine what may be causing it. I got it today when eating dinner in fact! I just get that tingly, painful feeling in my jaw when chewing sometimes and it feels like I have eaten something sour, even if I haven't. It is typically on one side or another. I don't get it often, but when I do, I usually can't eat the rest of the day without it acting up every time I chew. It usually goes away by the next day or so. I figured out that my boyfriend also gets this pain occassionally, and we have always referred to it as "sour jaw." As far as helping you figure out what it might be, I really don't know what it is. Neither myself or my boyfriend appear to have any medical problems that I know of that it might be related to, but it may be a good idea to have a medical professional look into it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have been dealing with the same issue for about 2 months now. It started with facial swelling when I had some kind of virus with a very high fever. Actually, the swelling started the day after the fever went away, and never completely went down. A couple weeks later, I noticed that "sour" sensation whenever I eat something very sugary (like hard candy for example), eat somewhat sour fruit (like a tart apple), or chew strong minty gum. I have begun to avoid these foods, because whenever I have that sensation, my jaw/cheek begins to swell in just a matter of minutes. I have also begun to wonder if the cause is coffee (which I drink 2 cups of most mornings) because when I had last week off from school for Thanksgiving (I'm 16 and in highschool) I didn't drink any coffee, and lo and behold, the swelling began to go down and I had no jaw pain. My right cheek/jaw is still better, but the left side got the "sour feeling" and swelled up after a chewed a piece of minty gum. My jaw also is hard to the touch on both sides from the outside, and I presume this is related to the other issues. I'm getting ready to cut out coffee for another week here pretty soon to see if that really is my problem, but other than that, I have no solution as of yet.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 2, 2010
    • 04:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My husband was driving to work yesterday and thought "when I get to the office I need to eat something...." and all of a sudden he had that "sour" feeling like eating a Granny apple and then the lower jaw cramped up so tight he thought he was going to have to pull the car over! He said it was the strangest sensation. Then, he had another one as he left the office to go eat lunch. He says everytime he thought about food, he had the locked up, painful cramp like he was eating something very, very sour. It's the only way he can explain it and yet he didn't have anything in his mouth.Today when he awoke, his entire left jaw is swollen. It's very noticeable so we logged on to see what we can find. I think I'll have him go to an oral surgeon and have his salvary glands checked on Monday. He said "today I'm going to try not to think about food!!" :o)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 4, 2010
    • 08:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I posted on here a few months ago, and I am still having this problem. A recent cold I had made it much worse, so I decided to go see a doctor. My dentist recommended an ENT to me, and I went for a visit today. Because he could not see any noticeable swelling today, he told me that it is all in my head, and that I just need to basically forget about it. Needless to say, I was not pleased with that at ALL, because something is definitely wrong. Tomorrow I am going back for a CT scan, because that is the only other option the doctor gave me, besides just pretending like its not a real problem. I will update again after I get the results from that. Hopefully we can figure something out from that.
  • I seem to have the same problem..People over the last year or so have notice that the sides of jaw seem swollen. Now i can notice it's always swollen but some days are worse than others. My ear nose and throat dr told me he doesn't know what it is. He said he doesn't feel stones or have signs of a tumor. I also get the tingly feeling in the side of my mouth jaw area when I first eat something sour. The two sides are about even but my left side is slightly larger than my left. It kinda bums me out alot. I just got a chest xray and another bloodwork done today. I guess I'll see what happens.I've gone back and looked at my old pictures and it seems my left side was always slighter larger. Only noticeable if you look closely. Mayb I was just born this way.. that sux..
    urkool 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Im 19 years old and have experienced the same things as all of you !!! About a week ago I started have this sour taste in my mouth and I thought it was because I had some candy a while earlier and that lasted for about an hour...then all of a sudden I had this "cramp" in my jaw. It was excruciating. Everytime something would touch the left side of my tounge, I would have this sharp pain in my jaw. The pain feels like you've had something sour (I guess thats where that sour taste comes from) and the back of your jaw will cramp. Eating and drinking only made it worse. Then I thought if I brushed the taste out of my mouth it would get better. WRONG !!!!! I can't even begin to explain how that felt. The only thing that help was me laying down...I didn't eat for 3 days. I went to a ear nose and throat a couple of years ago and he said I have tmj...but this can't be tmj....I'm not sure what it is...It's very frustrating and I just wish someone out there knew what we were going through ! Knowing Im not the only one makes it a little better though.
  • I suffer from these symptoms as well, and it often keeps me awake at night. These symptoms could be the result of Bruxism (clenching & grinding of teeth), or a TMJ disorder. Often Bruxism is connected to a TMJ disorder. Other symptoms can include headache, ear pain, ringing in the ear, pain in shoulder & neck, migraine, hearing loss, and some others that I can't remember.Seek the advice of an orthodontist, oral surgeon, or neurologist. A dentist may be helpful, but they will most likely refer you to the aforementioned. Some solutions the doctor may recommend to alleviate the problem may include a mouth/bite guard for night use, botox injection in the jaw muscle to relieve the involuntary "clenching" or a last resort could be surgery.Good luck!
  • My wife just got the same thing on both sides after eating those salt and vinegar potato chips. She says it hurt on both sides. She brushed her teeth ten minutes later and now the pain has subsided. She has TMJ, must be related.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I wouldn't worry, although some of your symptoms sound worse than mine. I think all my life I've gotten this "sour jaw" sensation whenever I eat something (doesn't matter what) after I haven't eaten for a couple of hours. My theory is that it's just my saliva glands starting up the digestive process. It only hurts for a few seconds and then goes away, and never occurs if I'm snacking consistently. I'm 16 years old and have a healthy mouth, so I'm chalking it up to nothing serious.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 22, 2011
    • 00:12 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement