Discussions By Condition: Nerve conditions

vitamin B12 deficiency---can it cause muscle spasms muscle, twitches etc?

Posted In: Nerve conditions 6 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • December 17, 2007
  • 06:58 PM

? Can it cause such symptoms?

thanks

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• I think so and certainly much worse things. You don't say whether you have been tested, so read the following thread to figure out how to get tested and fix it: http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=9948
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 18, 2008
    • 02:38 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello all. I am here in search of some answers (as we all are).My father has just been diagnosed (preliminary) with ALS or Lou Gehrigs disease. Obviously we are all very shocked and upset by this. I did what everyone does at these times...and hit the internet.I eventually found this site and found that my Dad has almost every single symptom associated with B12 deficiency!I am a realist and not at all a health care 'professional' - but when 100% of the symptoms match my Dad's current symptoms it does make me wonder and hope. I would appreciate more information/resources, as my Dad's quality of life now is not at all what it used to be. He has bouts of 'steppage gait' and imbalance and short-term memory loss (more like a vague confusion). The scariest symptom is the muscle spasms. This was the main factor for his early diagnosis for ALS. He has a lot of twitching in his hands and feet, along with a feeling of numbness & cold (mainly in his lower legs & feet).Again, I am desperate for help - so I sincerely appreciate any/all information you can share. The neurologist was not very helpful at all, just made the diagnosis with NO follow up support, no suggestions for researching his symptoms (or ALS), no help at all. We left his office shattered.Thanks in advance.K
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 16, 2008
    • 04:09 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi again. I saw the other massive forum about the subject and will now take my time to read through it.Thanks again.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 16, 2008
    • 04:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Regarding ALS.Since you are not a a medical professional as mentioned, and since I am, I am here to tell you that even though many people like yourself do not like the diagnosis of ALS, most diagnosis are pretty right on. Many elderly people also develop a B12 deficiency with they elderly diseases and if you are concerned about his vitamin levels, then a quick blood test from your family's doctor's office would help you. I work in an emergency room and we see many people who come on these sites, even print out their own diagnosis and then come to us because they think they are dying from a brain hemorage because that's the only thing that causes headaches according to sites like these. I suggest that if you are not happy with the diagnosis, speak with another doctor and seek a second opinion, or simply ask your doctor or your father's if there is any other options to look into. I suggest that if there is a treatment for ALS, not to prolong it and as long as the medications are not affected by a B12 supplement, ask the doctor if that might be appropriate.I am simply concerned that you are not taking the doctors seriously and that this could damage your father further. Speak up. The only dumb answers are ones you don't ask.Michelle
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 23, 2008
    • 09:16 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Ultimately we are each responsible for our own welfare and should educate ourselves to be able to evaluate the doctors' opinions and put them in perspective, then make decisions with the doctors rather than turning everything over to them. Doctors frequently have some useful information and sometimes are actually right on target. But most of them do not have a good enough track record to be given the sole responsibility to make our life or death decisions for us. If we allow them that at times when we have an option, we are responsible for whatever bad consequences follow. Of course sometimes, sadly, there is no time or capability to do anything but what they say... and sometimes those situations can work out okay.
    Cinnamon 1 Replies
    • January 18, 2009
    • 05:57 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Having had 4 years of pounding heart, constant muscle vibration especially in the feet/left ankle/chest, constant stomach disorders, confusion, wildly erratic blood pressure, headaches, bone pain, neck pain and a host of other symptoms, after all that all the medical profession have done for me is run a handful of blood tests and an ECG & then given a distainful throwaway diagnosis of stress.As a 20yr long vegan I've discoved that the B12 level my doctor passed as ok is associated with all the above & in addition I also had a severe D deficiency which the doctor didn't bother to test for. The UK medical governing body recently tried to strike 2 decent doctors off the medical register who treat patients for B12 deficiency at levels above the set level to be considered low. Both doctors have seen thousands of lives turned around, people who would be living in misery or would be dead by now, so definitely do your own research on vitamims.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 1, 2010
    • 05:27 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement