Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Help re: my 5 yr old daughter

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 7 Replies
  • Posted By: riverrat16
  • December 15, 2007
  • 00:09 AM

Ok I'll try to make this short. My Daughter ho just turned 5 has been having recurring UTI's for the past year. She has had about 8-9 UTI. On Novemeber 26th she was admitted to the childrens hospital because her latest Uti turned into a kidney infection. The symtoms she presented were high fever ( it jumped from 99.3 to 105.2 in 35 min) and shaking chills, along with stomach pain. No other symtoms. At the hospital she was put on Iv antibiotics, given a renal ultrasound and a vcug. No abnormalities were found. They diagniosed her with overactive bladder and said that was root of all her UTI's . They put her on Ditropan for the over active bladder, and Chepalaxin for the infection. 10 days of regular dose of the antibiotic the a maintenance dose for a few months. We just started the maintance doses on December 10th. On the 12th she started with the high fevers again, they persisted about every3 hours, I was alternating tylenol and motrin. The next day same thing not quite as often. I calle dthe doc. and he suggested it was probably a virus since she has been on antibiotic's. This is day # 3 and she is still having fevers going up to 104.4 with chills and shaking, but no other symotoms. I am very concerned that it is not a virus and the infection in her kidney's is either not cleared up completely or a new infection. Please help any advice would be appreciated I am really starting to worry.

Reply Flag this Discussion

7 Replies:

• Ok I'll try to make this short. My Daughter ho just turned 5 has been having recurring UTI's for the past year. She has had about 8-9 UTI. On Novemeber 26th she was admitted to the childrens hospital because her latest Uti turned into a kidney infection. The symtoms she presented were high fever ( it jumped from 99.3 to 105.2 in 35 min) and shaking chills, along with stomach pain. No other symtoms. At the hospital she was put on Iv antibiotics, given a renal ultrasound and a vcug. No abnormalities were found. They diagniosed her with overactive bladder and said that was root of all her UTI's . They put her on Ditropan for the over active bladder, and Chepalaxin for the infection. 10 days of regular dose of the antibiotic the a maintenance dose for a few months. We just started the maintance doses on December 10th. On the 12th she started with the high fevers again, they persisted about every3 hours, I was alternating tylenol and motrin. The next day same thing not quite as often. I calle dthe doc. and he suggested it was probably a virus since she has been on antibiotic's. This is day # 3 and she is still having fevers going up to 104.4 with chills and shaking, but no other symotoms. I am very concerned that it is not a virus and the infection in her kidney's is either not cleared up completely or a new infection. Please help any advice would be appreciated I am really starting to worry. I feel for you, that is a lot of UTI's...her system is completely out of whack due to the meds she is on. Is she still taking diropan? This drug may be interacting with the antibiotic, and also this drug has absolutely NOT been tested for safety on children! Please talk with your docs about discontinuing it.. When your daughter first went to the ER after spiking a high fever, had she been prescribed an antibiotic prior to her admittance? This is important, as a sudden high fever while on an antibiotic may be an indication of a severe reaction to the antibiotic. Did your daughter have any rashes at all with the fever? This is a clear indication of a drug reaction. Cephalaxin can cause feverish conditions as a side effect. These two drugs are very strong, and even more so for a 5 year old. Drug interactions and drug side effects are the VERY LAST thing that most doctors will look at...I can tell you many stories, we as consumers need to be informed. Please visit www.drugs.com or www.rxlist.com for info on the drugs she has been prescribed It sounds like your doc is not doing much for your little one...dismissing this problem as a virus sounds unlikely to me. Please consider trying a different approach to treating your daughter's illness. A good naturopath, acupuncturist(one who is a certified herbalist), or NAET practitioner may really make a difference. What is your daughter's diet like? What does she eat and drink on a daily basis? Do you give her sweetened cranberry juice like ocean spray (I DON'T recommend this, as the sugar can make UTI's worse). Does your daughter wipe correctly after bowel movements - this is a common occurance in young girls and is often the cause of repeated UTI problems. As a Doctor of Oriental medicine, I have successfully treated UTI's through Chinese herbal medicine and the homeopathic remedy Cantharis. As someone who has suffered from repeated UTI's in my late 20s, I know how awful they can be. But since I have gotten my body back in balance, I haven't had any problems, now in my 40s. There are other successful ways of treating this, and I highly suggest trying a different approach. Understand that I am NOT advocating stopping allopathic treatments or tests, but trying something in addition to this. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • December 15, 2007
    • 03:58 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I feel for you, that is a lot of UTI's...her system is completely out of whack due to the meds she is on. Is she still taking diropan? This drug may be interacting with the antibiotic, and also this drug has absolutely NOT been tested for safety on children! Please talk with your docs about discontinuing it.. When your daughter first went to the ER after spiking a high fever, had she been prescribed an antibiotic prior to her admittance? This is important, as a sudden high fever while on an antibiotic may be an indication of a severe reaction to the antibiotic. Did your daughter have any rashes at all with the fever? This is a clear indication of a drug reaction. Cephalaxin can cause feverish conditions as a side effect. These two drugs are very strong, and even more so for a 5 year old. Drug interactions and drug side effects are the VERY LAST thing that most doctors will look at...I can tell you many stories, we as consumers need to be informed. Please visit www.drugs.com or www.rxlist.com for info on the drugs she has been prescribed It sounds like your doc is not doing much for your little one...dismissing this problem as a virus sounds unlikely to me. Please consider trying a different approach to treating your daughter's illness. A good naturopath, acupuncturist(one who is a certified herbalist), or NAET practitioner may really make a difference. What is your daughter's diet like? What does she eat and drink on a daily basis? Do you give her sweetened cranberry juice like ocean spray (I DON'T recommend this, as the sugar can make UTI's worse). Does your daughter wipe correctly after bowel movements - this is a common occurance in young girls and is often the cause of repeated UTI problems. As a Doctor of Oriental medicine, I have successfully treated UTI's through Chinese herbal medicine and the homeopathic remedy Cantharis. As someone who has suffered from repeated UTI's in my late 20s, I know how awful they can be. But since I have gotten my body back in balance, I haven't had any problems, now in my 40s. There are other successful ways of treating this, and I highly suggest trying a different approach. Understand that I am NOT advocating stopping allopathic treatments or tests, but trying something in addition to this. Best wishesDOM When she first went to the ER she was on Septra for 6 days, she had seen a urologist 6 days before the admitance t othe hospital. He said she had a UTI and put her on septra. I was told that the bacterica was not sensitive to this medication which is why it spread to the kidneys. She had no rashes, still does not have any. She is a very good eater, she likes fruits and veggies. She drinks Cranberry juice but not oceanspray. I try to buy 100% juice. She drinks Vitamin water and plain tap water. She does wipe correctly as she has had so many UTI"s and learned how to wipe the right way early on.
    riverrat16 2 Replies
    • December 15, 2007
    • 01:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I feel for you, that is a lot of UTI's...her system is completely out of whack due to the meds she is on. Is she still taking diropan? This drug may be interacting with the antibiotic, and also this drug has absolutely NOT been tested for safety on children! Please talk with your docs about discontinuing it.. When your daughter first went to the ER after spiking a high fever, had she been prescribed an antibiotic prior to her admittance? This is important, as a sudden high fever while on an antibiotic may be an indication of a severe reaction to the antibiotic. Did your daughter have any rashes at all with the fever? This is a clear indication of a drug reaction. Cephalaxin can cause feverish conditions as a side effect. These two drugs are very strong, and even more so for a 5 year old. Drug interactions and drug side effects are the VERY LAST thing that most doctors will look at...I can tell you many stories, we as consumers need to be informed. Please visit www.drugs.com or www.rxlist.com for info on the drugs she has been prescribed It sounds like your doc is not doing much for your little one...dismissing this problem as a virus sounds unlikely to me. Please consider trying a different approach to treating your daughter's illness. A good naturopath, acupuncturist(one who is a certified herbalist), or NAET practitioner may really make a difference. What is your daughter's diet like? What does she eat and drink on a daily basis? Do you give her sweetened cranberry juice like ocean spray (I DON'T recommend this, as the sugar can make UTI's worse). Does your daughter wipe correctly after bowel movements - this is a common occurance in young girls and is often the cause of repeated UTI problems. As a Doctor of Oriental medicine, I have successfully treated UTI's through Chinese herbal medicine and the homeopathic remedy Cantharis. As someone who has suffered from repeated UTI's in my late 20s, I know how awful they can be. But since I have gotten my body back in balance, I haven't had any problems, now in my 40s. There are other successful ways of treating this, and I highly suggest trying a different approach. Understand that I am NOT advocating stopping allopathic treatments or tests, but trying something in addition to this. Best wishesDOM When she first went to the ER with the high fever she had been on Septra for 6 days. She had seen a urologist 6 days pior to this and he did a uranalysis and found UTI. He put her on Septra, I was told that the bacteria was not sensitive to this drug and that is why the infection spread to her kidneys. She did not have any rashes, and still does not. Her diet is good, she eats alot of friut and veggies, she drinks Cranberry but not oceanspray I try to buy 100% juice. She also drinks water she likes the vitamin waters. She wipes correctly after using the bathroom. After so many UTI's she learned early on the right way to wipe. She is a very mature 5 year old girl, she is always the first to know when she has a UTI. She says right now she does not, there is no stomach pain or burning when she urinates.
    riverrat16 2 Replies
    • December 15, 2007
    • 02:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Here are a few side effects of septra relating to the urinary tract:Renal failure, interstitial nephritis, BUN and serum creatinine elevation, toxic nephrosis with oliguria and anuria, and crystalluria. The reason I am concerned so much about the meds your daughter has taken is that there are no studies done on giving these meds to a child so young. Add the fact that doctors usually don't look into the side effects of meds and you have a dangerous situation in my opinion. You cannot rule out the fact that this drug could have caused her kidney condition as well... Glad to hear she is doing better, and drinking only 100% juice. What are the vitamin waters? Does she drink just plain water as well? Please do get her on a children's chewable PROBIOTIC if you haven't done this yet. She needs this due to her use of multiple antibiotics. I like Florabear's chewables for my kids, but there are others - try to get one with multiple strains of beneficial bacteria. Just eating yogurt is not enough IMO. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • December 16, 2007
    • 05:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • If your daughter is still having high fevers, you need to take her back to the ER immediately. I wouldn't leave until have given you answers and she's been able to maintain a normal temp. High fevers in children are very, very dangerous and shouldn't be taken lightly.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 16, 2007
    • 07:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hi there - I understand your fears. there is nothing as frightening as not knowing what's wrong with your child. I don't have any advice except this: if you think something is not right, then go with that gut feeling. Get a second, third, fourth opinio if you must. My GP has a theory that when a mother walks into his office and tells him something is wrong with her child he will keep looking until he finds what's wrong because he says a mother's intuition is unfailing. If your dr is not coming to the party find another, and another until you find an answer. It's not about offending anyone. It's about defending your child when she can't. I hope this helps a little...
    SandyMP 1 Replies
    • December 16, 2007
    • 08:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Is she in a safe environment??? Could anyone, baby sitters or such, be harming her??? It's kind of a difficult situation for you and her...have they run an antibiotic test against the infection? Is she drinking enough water daily? Seems like there is a future of lab tests ahead for her.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • December 17, 2007
    • 06:35 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement