Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Chest and armpit pain

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 2 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • December 13, 2007
  • 00:41 AM

I have had pain under my left armpit and upper left chest for the past 4 years. I'm a 33 year old male, who doesn't smoke or drink alcohol. I ended up in the E.R. 4 years ago due to the pain, where they did tests and said that it was muscle pain and sent me home with pain meds. The pain in my chest and armpit lasts throughout the day, and gets worse with exercise and lifting things over my head. I have seen numerous doctors, and have done mri's, tredmill tests, x-rays, nerve tests, ekg's, etc with no answer. At first my doctor thought that it was costocondritis, and said the pain would go away in a month and gave me pain meds. He then said that it was gerd and gave me nexium which didn't work. He then sent me to an orthopedic dr who gave me a cortisone shot in my left shoulder which wasn't a big help. The pain is above the rib cage and feels heavy and can be recreated when pushed on. I am frustrated and looking for someone who may have had the same problems that I have. Four years is way to long to live with this pain! Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• Look up cardiac syndrome x. Microvascular angina is pain without positive cardiac tests. More common in women, but your cardiologist might be open to this. Have you tried nitroglycerin, calcium channel blockers, or beta-blockers. Don't know why pushing on the site would cause pain. Is it where you push? or does it start the same type of pain in armpit and arm etc. I would think that trying some nitro at the time of pain, and if it goes away (but will give you a quick headache), then maybe you are on the right path.
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies
    • December 14, 2007
    • 10:51 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I saw a chest doctor today who gave me a thorough exam ans said that I have a healthy heart. By the type of pain that I described to him which seems to be in the muscle under the left armpit and left upper chest, he didn't know what it may be. I am also going to see an orthopedic doctor this afternoon for another opinion. What is strange is that my left shoulder will pop at the joint when I move it over my head but there is no pain in the soulder joint. The doctors say that it shouldn't cause the pain under the armpit and upper chest. When I first had a cortisone shot in the shoulder two years ago that night my shoulder was in severe pain which lasted for about two days, I think the shot gave me a bad reaction. I find that if I take a pain releiver such as aspirin or aleve the pain will subside in about half an hour. Alot of times anxiety will make the pain worse and make my heart race for awhile. I know that it isn't my heart that's causing the pain, but I'm uncertain if it's starting from my shoulder of somewhere else. Still desperate for an answer?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 14, 2007
    • 11:18 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement