Discussions By Condition: Sexual conditions

Urination Pain/Discharge...Trauma During Intercourse?

Posted In: Sexual conditions 3 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • December 9, 2007
  • 05:44 AM

Hello. My wife is 9 weeks pregnant with our first child. We've been together for about 18 months and have been monogamous (as far as I know). Of course, we both had partners before marriage, but no diagnosed STDs.

During intercourse 5 days ago, I felt like something in her vagina was scraping the bottom of my urethra, especially painful after I had climaxed. I didn't think much of it until I began having painful urination the next day. It continued to worsen, so we visited her midwife/doctor (we're not in the US so medical care is a little different). The doctor put us both on amoxicillin and and put me on another antibiotic and a small orange mystery pill as I was the only one with any symptoms. My wife continues to be asymptomatic.

After 1.5 days of the meds (today), I suddenly developed a light, white discharge. The painful urination continues but is not constant. Sometimes, it hurts, other times it doesn't. My wife is worried about STDs of course, and I am terribly concerned about her and the baby.

The labs are closed over the weekend, so we can't even get a urine test until Monday. Our primary caregiver told us that if I developed discharge, it was likely an STD. Ok, here's the part I don't understand. I had not had sex for multiple years before I met my wife. Oddly, I had just finished a zithromax pack the day before the intercourse incident because I had a nasty upper respiratory infection. In fact, during the past three months, I've been on amoxicillin two times, both less than a week, and taken a 5 day dosage of the z-max. From what I read, both of these drugs are recommended for STDs and in the past few years, I've used z-max two or three times and other antibiotics for oral surgery, an accident, etc.

How is it possible for me to suddenly have this problem when I had just finished my z-max? Is it possible that I've had a latent infection that suddenly popped up? If so, shouldn't the antibiotics have killed it before? We originally thought it was just a simple UTI that I picked up while my immune system was down. Now, with the discharge thrown in, it's a mystery. I realize that we won't know until we see the doctor after the weekend, but I'm hoping someone will see this and offer some insight. It's stressful enough having our first pregnancy, we really don't need this too.

Thanks.
IN

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• It could be a yeast infection from the antibiotics. I would certainly see an MD if you can locate one wherever you are. A pregnancy is nothing to mess with. If your wife has something scraping you, too, I would think she would need to have that looked at...perhaps the pregnancy has brought something from the past up to the front line. And, by the way, you need to get the name of every funny looking pill you are taking...you could have an allergic reaction to it and I don't think the ER would be very helpful if you said "a funny looking mystery pill".Herpes or warts can be carried for years. Many times, herpes has absolutely no symptoms. When was your wife's last pap? Since you have had a lot of partners, when you get back to standard medical care, you may want to have a blood test for herpes 2. However, I would think that the odds would be slim that two people would not have any symptoms...usually the one finds out only after passing it to someone who does feel and see it.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • December 10, 2007
    • 06:04 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for the reply Monsterlove. We went to the best hospital today and had some tests done. The Mrs. is healthy and normal. I tested negative for STDs, but was told it's a nonspecific urethritis infection. I was given doxycycline and told to come back in a week. We'll get checked again at that time. I had a HSV test a while back before we got married. I was tested for STDs at that time as I wanted a clean slate for the wedding. The wife hasn't had a pap in quite some time, so we'll get that done. We're seeking out a new ob/gyn for her in this area now.I'll try to post again if there's anything else to add.Thanks.IN
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 10, 2007
    • 07:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Good luck. Just turn it all over to her doctor and congratulations!!!
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • December 12, 2007
    • 02:20 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement