Discussions By Condition: Nerve conditions

Gillian Barre? Please advice

Posted In: Nerve conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: coralann
  • December 1, 2007
  • 07:39 PM

Hi everyone.

My problems started back in June. I had a nasty dose of Camperloacter poisoning and was ill for three weeks. Three weeks after that I after feeling quite well I had a nasty evening of diareha which soon stopped but then tingling in both my hands and arms up to the elbow and the sme in my legs and feet up to my knees. I went along to my surgery a number of times befare my GP finally took the step of refering me to a Neurogist. The appointment came through and was for 6 weeks time! While i was awaiting the appointment my symptoms became worse. The tingling became louder(like holding a chainsaw!) and was accompanied by strange numb feelings and crawling sensations, but the worse feeling of all was the fatigue, a feeling of absolute exhauston that i have never felt before. I couldn't move to do anything (very difficult with three kids and no family), was faint and dizzy all the time and can only describe the feeling as a feeling like i was disolving. My symptoms stayed this way and then slowly improved over the next four weeks. I never lost the use of any of my limbs. My breathing was affected slightly with heart pulpatations and a feeling that i actively had to make my chest take the breath in. I also had a funny sensation in my throat that over days spread down to my chest before disappearing. I realize that compared to some if not most i have been lucky.
So my appointment with the neurologist arrives, he tests all my responses takes history and tells me i have mild Guillian Barre and what it is. At this point in the illness i'm feeling quite well, some tiredness but really nothing more. The Neurologist decides he doesn't need to see me again and that's that! Well great i'm lucky, shocked but lucky and i'm on my way up i think, that is until the end of the week when all the symptoms come back!

Since then i have never been totally free of the symptoms most days i 'disolve' the sensations are now in my upper arms also and extent upto my buttocks where my legs are concerned. I feel 'ill' everyday and even though i have tried to seek help from my GP all he has done is tell me it will take a long time to get over and has told me it is a virus....which it isn't! How am i supposed to have any faith in him treating me if he doesn't understand what i have wrong with me? I also keep getting bouts of diarrehea and all he has done is given my anti depressants, which i don't need and won't take. Do i keep getting these upsets because my immunity cannot get ride of other illnesses because it is so haywire?

I would appreciate any help and advice anyone has. It has now been 6months since the foodpoisoning without improving considering i have GBS mild. I just feel so down and low. im finding it hard to cope, have had to give up work and uni and feel i have no purpose anymore

Thanks in advance

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement